Why do guys in the U.S punch walls?

Junkhead

Like, are they out of cartboard? If I ever tried that here, I'd only end up with a broken hand and even more pissed off. It's pure concrete, over here.

Edited by Junkhead

not sure where this came from, but the one time I punched a hole through a wall I did it because I was extremely angry lol. If people just do it for the heck it tho, well... I don't know then.

also, it hurt, but the wall's not actually that thick, so... not that much. and I'd consider myself a relatively weak person. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

It's usually better to hit an inanimate object than the actual thing that welled up all the anger and frustration in the first place. That object always tends to be a wall of some sort, a door, a stop sign, or whatever happens to be available that isn't a living thing. The best thing to do though is to go running or go at it in a gym on a punching bag to let out your aggression. Those tend to be a bit easier on your hands unless your focus is to toughen your fists and if that's the case, brick walls make good candidates. You also won't break your hands if you know how to make a proper fist. 

I've punched walls before.  The reason I do it with a wall instead of something that's easy to break through like cardboard is because punching something impervious makes me calmer than something that won't stop the motion of my fist.  It's like... the wall stopping my fist causes my brain to stop for a moment and meditate on what's making me mad (or drift my thoughts away from said thing).  I don't know, it's weird, but it helps.

No, walls here are made out of sheet rock, usually gypsum. It's a cheap, strong(When it comes to bearing loads), lightweight material.

It's not very hard, though, so while it still hurts to punch, your hand usually just goes right through.

Edited by Slumber

On TV, or whatever, when someone puts their hand through a wall it's to let the viewer know that they're REALLY angry. The reason behind that is probably because a. there's usually a wall nearby and b. like @Slumber said, most modern indoor walls in the US have a thin-ish plaster layer, so a full-force punch would end up breaking the wall, not your hand.

I don't know how often people do this in real life.

10 minutes ago, Scoot said:

On TV, or whatever, when someone puts their hand through a wall it's to let the viewer know that they're REALLY angry. The reason behind that is probably because a. there's usually a wall nearby and b. like @Slumber said, most modern indoor walls in the US have a thin-ish plaster layer, so a full-force punch would end up breaking the wall, not your hand.

I don't know how often people do this in real life.

I've done it doing online math homework during college. I'm not an angry guy, but something about those damn online programs that just tell you you're wrong without giving any feedback...

But I also used to tape/install drywall for a living when I was a teenagrer, so I just covered it up with a bunch of joint cement. I'd say about half of my friends' houses growing up had at least one hole somewhere in the drywall from either a friend or their brother or something getting frustrated.

Also, are those a bunch of Vinesauce references?

Edited by Slumber

2 minutes ago, Slumber said:

I've done it doing online math homework during college. I'm not an angry guy, but something about those damn online programs that just tell you you're wrong without giving any feedback...

But I also used to tape/install drywall for a living, so I just covered it up with a bunch of joint cement. I'd say about half of my friends' houses growing up had at least one hole somewhere in the drywall from either a friend or their brother or something getting frustrated.

Also, are those a bunch of Vinesauce references?

yep. although I really ought to change it into something more personal

10 hours ago, GuiltyLove said:

it's to force themselves to get hand problems from other means before computers and phones claim their wrists first

You forgot to add girly mags

(plays my own age card)

1 hour ago, Karimlan said:

You forgot to add girly mags

Why would men look at women's magazines and get hand problems?

Hmm... Oh... Ohhhhhhh!

Okay, I think I know what you are talking about. Those magazines are so last generation though. Men today use the internet and... um... flashlights, which uses more of the arm muscle.