Why can you never reposition the main lord in battle preps?

DisobeyedCargo

One specific detail that has bothered me so much in every fire emblem game I have played is, why you can’t change the position of the main lord in battle preps. Every FE game I have played has this restriction, and I don’t understand why it’s even put in place. Am I the only one that is bothered by this? Is there something that I’m missing that makes sense of this? I don’t understand it.

My best guess is that in the cases of the units forming around them, it's a defensive line and in cases where they're further up front, it's that they're leading the attack. Or at least that's how it's likely represented.

Though I don't think Corrin's a mandatory deployment in Fates but I sadly can't remember. 

At least in older games, it may be a programming limitation.

Like, they can't program a unit's position to be interchangeable while simultaneously making them a game over kill/mandatory.

Of course, that can't really apply these days because the 3DS games have proved such limitations don't exist now.  You can place Robin wherever you wish in major chapters, Chrom wherever you want in skirmishes, and in Fates they make fathers/Azura mandatory deployments in their children's prologues without fixing their positions.  So at this point, it's an arbitrary restriction.

I see it as a small inconvenience you have to adapt to and work around. It also makes sense in a chapter like Ch. 28E of FE7, where your freshly-promoted Eliwood is forced to traverse and solo the middle of the map, moving up towards the boss and maybe reuniting with your other units. Why they don't relegate it to this kind of scenario, I could not tell you.

Edited by Baron the Shining Blade

1 hour ago, Baron the Shining Blade said:

I see it as a small inconvenience you have to adapt to and work around. It also makes sense in a chapter like Ch. 28E of FE7, where your freshly-promoted Eliwood is forced to traverse and solo the middle of the map, moving up towards the boss and maybe reuniting with your other units. Why they don't relegate it to this kind of scenario, I could not tell you.

I’ll excuse it in story related chapters like eliwood promotion and such

1 hour ago, Ertrick36 said:

At least in older games, it may be a programming limitation.

Like, they can't program a unit's position to be interchangeable while simultaneously making them a game over kill/mandatory.

Of course, that can't really apply these days because the 3DS games have proved such limitations don't exist now.  You can place Robin wherever you wish in major chapters, Chrom wherever you want in skirmishes, and in Fates they make fathers/Azura mandatory deployments in their children's prologues without fixing their positions.  So at this point, it's an arbitrary restriction.

I could buy that for older games

but damnit I wanna place Alm in the front so he can double lion everything with his royal sword!

1 hour ago, Silver-Haired Maiden said:

I don't know why and I greatly dislike it. There are times I want him on the other side of the formation dang it!

EXACTLY!!

8 minutes ago, Kazuya said:

If you move them, the whole battlefield will be ruined because ??? so UHHHHHHHHHHHHH ???

It’s a really weird and arbitrary thing outside of story stuff like eliwood a promotion and stuff 

20 hours ago, DisobeyedCargo said:

but damnit I wanna place Alm in the front so he can double lion everything with his royal sword!

You say this when Silque can Warp him to the moon provided she doesn't get Atk screwed. Not to deny being able to move him a few more spaces forward would be a bad idea, it helps.

I'm going to agree this is largely arbitrary, the maps where your lord is in a distinct position for map strategy, like the big bro duels in Fates, are few and far between.

BTW, I find mandatory Chrom deployment on Xenologues annoying, there is no reason he must be fielded in these DLC fights.

As a Fire Emblem Lord I have my own philosophy on this.

It doesn't matter what the press says. Doesn't matter what the politicians or the mobs say. Doesn't matter if the whole country decides that something wrong is right. This nation was founded on the one principle above all else: The requirement that we stand up for what we believe, no matter the odds or consequences. When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world. 

"No, you move."

On 9/6/2018 at 1:37 AM, Interdimensional Observer said:

BTW, I find mandatory Chrom deployment on Xenologues annoying, there is no reason he must be fielded in these DLC fights.

Yeah, trying to grind units not named Chrom is not helped by him being forced on maps like Rouges and Redeemers.

I'd like if the lord could be moved, barring of course the obvious exceptions. It's clearly possible.