What non-echo Square Enix rep (besides Geno) would you like in Smash Ultimate?

Perkilator

I’m stuck in a tie between Sora and Neku Sakuraba. On one hand, Sora’s owned by Disney despite originating from a video game, and Neku is solely a video game character. On the other hand, Sora has a more straightforward move pool compared to Neku. If either gets in, though, I’d be happy.

(The reason I say no Geno is because there’d probably be too many replies about him.)

Edited by Perkilator

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Even if the chances aren't high, I'd wish for any of Blazer/Will/Ark to get in. I doubt it very much, though. I think they would only technically count, anyway...

For a someone with higher, though still not high in general, chances, I would say Crono.

Terra or Crono for that SNES goodness. Preferably Terra for having a a design I like better, a wide variety of spells and abilities she could use to differentiate her from other sword users (well, except perhaps Robin), and more gender parity.

Geno would be far from my first pick anyway.

How Square Enix does the character need to be? 2B is my most-wanted 3rd party overall, but NieR: Automata was only published by Square Enix. Lara Croft would be my next choice, but as far as I can tell, Tomb Raider is developed by a subsidiary and not SE proper (or however it works). After them...well, there's really no one else I would care for.

I think the Eighth Hero from Dragon Quest VIII should join the battle as a secondary Square Enix rep. I think the next Final Fantasy rep should need to be an echo of Cloud since they only put Main Rep and Echo Rep of the 3rd Party series from 3rd Party Company like Simon and Richter.

Final Fantasy VI is the only Square Enix game I have ever played so I guess Terra would be my pick and as a bonus Celes would be her echo fighter. I wouldn't mind seeing a different take on a magic knight in Smash.

Erdrick. 

It's the one that makes the most sense if they're bringing in gaming icons associated with Nintendo, even if they really only stuck to this rule for Megaman and Simon Belmont. 

25 minutes ago, Slumber said:

Erdrick. 

It's the one that makes the most sense if they're bringing in gaming icons associated with Nintendo, even if they really only stuck to this rule for Megaman and Simon Belmont. 

Now lets just hope we get more than 2 songs for DQ, if it happened.

Sora, but I'm not sure this is really possible if Sora couldn't get in to even Final Fantasy's fighting game series. I guess it's between Frog and Geno for me. Geno is obvious, he's unique, Sakurai apparently wanted him in at one point, just a slam dunk for viability. But Frog shouldn't be counted out either. He doesn't look or fight like the usual anime with a sword. I think Frog will stand out among sword fighters with his tongue attacks and magic. If the next Square rep is either Crono or another Final Fantasy characters then that's a waste of potential in my opinion. The Final Fantasy characters are all some shade of irrelevant besides I guess Noctis or somebody else from 7. Plus Noctis already guest stars in Tekken while Final Fantasy already has its crossover fighting game franchise. I get wanting somebody like Cecil or Tidus in Smash, but I can't imagine a convincing argument why one of these guys ought to get in over the others besides sheer favoritism. As for Crono, there's just nothing interesting he brings to the table besides getting an Akira Toriyama design in Smash, which you can accomplish just as well with a Dragon Quest character. All Crono can do is cast lightning and swing a sword. That's like seventy percent of what Robin covers. And people still call Robin generic just because of the franchise he hails from.

4 minutes ago, Glennstavos said:

As for Crono, there's just nothing interesting he brings to the table besides getting an Akira Toriyama design in Smash, which you can accomplish just as well with a Dragon Quest character. All Crono can do is cast lightning and swing a sword. That's like seventy percent of what Robin covers. And people still call Robin generic just because of the franchise he hails from.

Crono would be the first Katana style wielder, he stands out for that, not to mention it's not just lightning magic but light magic as well, along with his sword techs.

Noctis. Not only can he seemlessly transition between swords, greatswords, daggers, spears, and other weapons, but he can also use bottled spells. Not to mention, he could use teamwork skills with his bros, and call upon them all at once for a final smash. I think he'd be a ton of fun to play and would be a great representation of the modern Square era (with Cloud representing the old).

Edited by Etheus

7 hours ago, Jedi said:

Now lets just hope we get more than 2 songs for DQ, if it happened.

The good news: Square doesn't actually own the rights to the DQ music.

The bad news: The man who does is the composer, and he's a very, very bad person. 

I suppose my avatar says it all.

If I had to make another recommendation though, seeing as a second final fantasy character would be the most likely timeline, Squall might be a cool choice. Gun-blades are neat-o and he could use the draw mechanic to add in a whole bunch of magic attacks, maybe similar to Platinum's magical symphony ability from Blazblue except you'd have to hit the opponent to get the bonus weapon.

I find it strange that I am the first to mention tiz, I feel like with bravely default's number of classes there are a few good possibilities for how they could go about this and they could also get the other three plus yew and magnolia in, on account of them all sharing a moveset (with a few exceptions on the part of yew and magnolia).

I know Chrono Trigger is the more highly-regarded game, and for good reason, but I would love if Randi from Secret of Mana got in, with Primm and Popi providing some kind of support. Secret of Mana has a beautiful soundtrack, and themes like Danger, Prophecy, Dark Star, and Meridian Dance would be perfect for Smash.

That said, Crono would be a great addition too, and his game's soundtrack is also quite kickin'. If we can have both, all the better.

Edited by Lord_Brand

If we're going to represent a new franchise I would say Neku would be the best fit since The World Ends With You is pretty much a Nintendo exclusive game aside from the mobile port which, let's be honest, doesn't really count.

If we're simply adding to the Final Fantasy representation I would personally love to see Cecil Harvey or Kain Highwind from FFIV, they're already fairly popular characters from one of the most highly regarded games in the series so I think they would make a lot of sense to represent the franchise. Also Zack as an echo fighter of Cloud makes way to much sense so let's throw him in as well while we're at it.