New Nintendo Direct at 9/13/2018 3pm PT: New date

Jingle Jangle

It's so odd thinking of Final Fantasy VII on Switch although I legitimately do wish that VIII were on there, too. I hope there's a few additional features to iron things out a bit.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guys, you can play online with people from all over the world! I mean, you can do that now for free, but shh, fork over some money for Nintendo.

I had low expectations. We just had a Smash Direct and I think both Metroid and Three Houses will have a low profile until next year, but I was very disappointed by just how little they revealed about the online deal. They keep specifying they'll release NES games, but...why? Why can't they sell us games that were released on later consoles? I just want to play some of my favorite games on the Switch.

I came in with no expectations but I still ended up being let down.

The most notable reveals for me where the Final Fantasy ports and the Smash reveal. But the problem is that I already have FF9 and 12 on my PS4 and there was nothing stopping me from getting the other ones on there, so I don't really gain much with the ports. Isabella is....deserving I guess but its not someone I feel any hype for. Animal crossing isn't my series and she isn't a character that managed to charm me either.

Luigi's mansion 3 is nice but its one of those sort of reveals that says absolutely nothing except that the game in question exists. 

Edited by Etrurian emperor

My favorite part about the Nintendo Online bit was when they talked about cloud saves. They were all like "if your Switch breaks, your data will be lost. With Nintendo Online, you can back up your save data to ensure it is safe."

And in the back of my mind, i was like "yeah unless it's Splatoon 2 because it's save data will be banished to hell regardless"

4 minutes ago, Dai said:

It's so odd thinking of Final Fantasy VII on Switch although I legitimately do wish that VIII were on there, too. I hope there's a few additional features to iron things out a bit.

Reminds me on how originally VII was gonna be for SNES. I find amusing how VII is finally going to fulfill being on a Nintendo console, after like 20 years, hahaha.

That's a good point. They skipped over VIII because... who knows. That's a bit of a shame...

1 minute ago, Acacia Sgt said:

That's a good point. They skipped over VIII because... who knows. That's a bit of a shame...

Oh, I've no doubt it's because of how contentious a title it is. I can't say I blame them, but it's still a shame.

5 minutes ago, Dai said:

Oh, I've no doubt it's because of how contentious a title it is. I can't say I blame them, but it's still a shame.

Contentious? I know some of the opinions behind VIII, but would it really be for that? If you think about it, they pretty much announced from VII to XV, skipping the MMO ones (XI and XIV), but also VIII and XIII. Wonder why also XIII got skipped over...

I agree that besides Luigi's Mansion 3, the Direct was rather meh. But that's been the case for a lot of Directs lately imo. I don't like how they're done these days. They try to cram too much in at once with the format they do now.

4 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Contentious? I know some of the opinions behind VIII, but would it really be for that? If you think about it, they pretty much announced from VII to XV, skipping the MMO ones (XI and XIV), but also VIII and XIII. Wonder why also XIII got skipped over...

It's XIII...that one is even more contentious. That, and it's a lot to work on, so they might just port that one later...all three.

OH MY GOSH I CAN PLAY MUNCHKINS WITHOUT NEEDING TO WAIT FOR GAME NIGHTS IN ORDER TO PLAY IT WITH SOMEONE WHO ACTUALLY KNOWS HOW DND AND RPG PARODIES WORK!!! AND OH MY GOSH, I ACTUALLY PLAYED CARCASSONNE  WITH MY FAMILY ONLY A FEW DAYS AGO SO THAT GAME IS ACTUALLY RELEVANT AND OH MY GOSH THE PANDEMIC GAME IS FEATURED WHICH MAY MEAN THAT THE XCOM BOARD GAME MAY BE FEATURED WHICH MAY MEANS THAT WE MAY GET XCOM FOR SWITCH AND CATAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN!!! I CAN'T WAIT TO SNAG THE VICTORY FORM UNDER EVERYONE'S FEET AS I DO EVERYTIME I PLAY THE GAME AND I CAN'T WAIT TO PLAY ALL THESE BOARD/CARD GAMES ON THE NINTENDO SWITCH!!!!!

...W-When I actually get a switch, that is...

...Anyway...

This was the first Direct I've ever seen live. I found it overall okay, though then again, stuff like ports and remasters don't really bother me as I really haven't played most of those games in the first place, so I'm just happy to maybe get them in a more convenience manner. I'm excited that we're getting another Luigi's Mansion game, especially since I got the vibe that it would be much larger than the previous games despite them showing only a few seconds of it.

I saw the Isabelle invitation from a mile away, although I still enjoyed how slow paced the reveal was. I kinda wish that another fighter was shown, but I won't complain about that. I expected that there wouldn't be any new about Three Houses or Metroid, although I was still prepared in case we got any more information. Considering the former looked a bit unpolished atE3, and latter is still in development, I'm honestly wouldn't be surprised if we didn't get any new information on the game until later this year or even early the next year.

Considering my most modern system is a 3DS, and I'm not much of an online gamer (besides web games, but those are different), I didn't really know what information I was supposed to grab for the online functionality. I will say that these animations and skits with Mario and crew are an excellent way of explaining how they work in an entertaining yet informative manner. I hope they keep making those in the future.

Also...

CIVILIZATION ON SWITCH!!!!!

FREE TIME, I BID THEE FAREWELL!!!

30 minutes ago, Hekselka said:

EDIT: GF game was also interesting since they normally only do pokémon I'm curious to see how they'll handle anything else.

If it's anything like the stuff I've tried from them it should be at least alright, hopefully more like Drill Dozer in that regard. Probably won't be as out there as the horse racing solitaire game or even Drill Dozer though.

This direct as a whole did feel like they were just getting all these announcements out there and the stuff I wanted to try didn't didn't get much of any info. Honestly, maybe directs should dedicate to initial announcements and let the future information be released in other avenues, a lot of repetition occurred here.

It was ok, there were a pretty good number of games that I am happy to see, I will look into those final fantasy games, but the smash reveal was somewhat disappointing, I understand why (Animal crossing 2019), but I think it needed something else to really get the blood pumping, I know that simon is hard to beat, but I think that something more would have been appreciated. Poor civilization was killed by the delay.

also, town interests me for some reason, I don't know why, but it does.

This Direct was pretty boring. There was no information on Metroid Prime 4 or Fire Emblem Three Houses. Smash Ultimate's Isabelle reveal was pretty boring as well. Nothing wrong with adding her, just the presentation aspect didn't hype me at all. Most of the games were ports or new titles that have barely any information about them to get excited for. Civ 6 was cool though. I rate this Direct 3/10. 

2 hours ago, Hawkwing said:

OH MY GOSH I CAN PLAY MUNCHKINS WITHOUT NEEDING TO WAIT FOR GAME NIGHTS IN ORDER TO PLAY IT WITH SOMEONE WHO ACTUALLY KNOWS HOW DND AND RPG PARODIES WORK!!! AND OH MY GOSH, I ACTUALLY PLAYED CARCASSONNE  WITH MY FAMILY ONLY A FEW DAYS AGO SO THAT GAME IS ACTUALLY RELEVANT AND OH MY GOSH THE PANDEMIC GAME IS FEATURED WHICH MAY MEAN THAT THE XCOM BOARD GAME MAY BE FEATURED WHICH MAY MEANS THAT WE MAY GET XCOM FOR SWITCH AND CATAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN!!! I CAN'T WAIT TO SNAG THE VICTORY FORM UNDER EVERYONE'S FEET AS I DO EVERYTIME I PLAY THE GAME AND I CAN'T WAIT TO PLAY ALL THESE BOARD/CARD GAMES ON THE NINTENDO SWITCH!!!!!

...W-When I actually get a switch, that is...

while it's kind of neat to have it somewhat portable, I'm pretty sure those games are just ports of Asmodee adaptions already on Steam - they aren't exactly the most demanding games. They just released Scythe, for example, and will be doing Gloomhaven early next year.

i get the appeal of making it easier for local multiplayer but apart from that find it hard to get excited about

really, an actually good idea that's been floated is to make an original D&D style game where someone controlling the joycon has the potential to be the gamemaster

Edited by Edgelord

2 minutes ago, Edgelord said:

while it's kind of neat to have it somewhat portable, I'm pretty sure those games are just ports of Asmodee adaptions already on Steam - they aren't exactly the most demanding games. They just released Scythe, for example, and will be doing Gloomhaven early next year.

i get the appeal of making it easier for local multiplayer but apart from that find it hard to get excited about

really, an actually good idea that's been floated is to make an original D&D style game where someone controlling the joycon has the potential to be a gamemaster

THEY ARE?!?!?

...I really need to use Steam more often...

...And I also need to actually play games that aren't decades old at this point...

Also, that D&D idea sounds awesome.

1 minute ago, Hawkwing said:

THEY ARE?!?!?

...I really need to use Steam more often...

...And I also need to actually play games that aren't decades old at this point...

Also, that D&D idea sounds awesome.

Asmodee do have a rather mixed reputation, though I don't really know the specifics, but I'm down for getting Gloomhaven. Look into Tabletop Simulator as well if you haven't - it's good when you get used to using it and it's the sort of things there's a bunch of user-created mods on the workshop for scripting various tabletop games.

The D&D game idea has been around since the Switch came out so it's not original on my part, but unfortunately I don't think Wizards of the Coast at least are that keen since the last game they licensed was not good (Sword Coast Legends)

As a huge fan of Animal Crossing I was left satisfied with the direct. I'm just really happy knowing Animal Crossing will be coming to the Switch and it's funny that my top three Nintendo franchises are getting Switch games in 2019. I never did get to try out FF10 and World of FF before so I'm looking forward to those as well. 

Edit: I forgot to mention Daemon x Machina but I'm definitely hyped for that. I love mechs and the game is all about mechs so it's right up my alley. I'm disappointed we didn't get any new information regarding Fe16 and Dusk Driver. TBF, Dusk Driver was just announced recently and Fe16 is a 2019 title.

Edited by ChickenBits

1 hour ago, Anacybele said:

Am I the only Luigi's Mansion fan here? :( Nobody posted in my thread...

I like Luigi’s Mansion. I feel like we kind of anticipated it with Simon’s reveal trailer, so the hype might be lessened.

3 hours ago, Lau said:

Holy shit, FFVII on the Switch? I've never had chance to play it, so this is amazing!

Don't mean to be a downer, but just as a reminder, no classic is guaranteed to be beloved by all. Your opinion of the game once you've played it, particularly if subjected to too much hype, might be something of a letdown.

Nice to see XII is coming to Switch, I've been wanting to play it. LM3 is okay too, but the ice boss in DM stopped me from ever finishing that.

Not gonna lie, I died of laughter at the NSMBUD reveal, because of course Nintendo would do something so dumb and yet kinda charming at the same time. I'm not going to buy it, I already own the game for Wii U and one playthrough is enough for me, although Luigi U is fun to speedrun with friends, but there is one thing that is absolutely unacceptable about this game.

THEY REMOVED BLUE TOAD

I can't buy any of their games after this disgrace, that was my favorite character in any medium and now he's gone.

Otherwise, the Direct showed some neat things. I now really want that weird mecha game since it looks neat, I'm not sure about Luigi Mansion 3 (probably be good), and I'm not sure how well all of these PC games that involve relatively precise clicks to move along at a decent pace will translate to the Switch. I'll probably hold off buying an account until Smash Ultimate, I never really play Splatoon 2 which is my only multiplayer game (Well, I also have Arms, but we don't talk about Arms). I've never cared much for Animal Crossing, always found it boring, but that's just me. I assume Nintendo's saving the big punches for later in the year by Christmas time.