What are your unpopular Smash opinions?

Fabulously Olivier

Lucina was not a bad pick for the roster the same way Ganondorf wasn't.  Clones really aren't as big a deal as people make them out to be.  That being said, even if he/she isn't a clone, I just generally hate Corrin.

Ike is better than Marth.

Daisy's better than Peach.

Falco's better than Fox.

Luigi's better than Mario.

Don't care all too much about Geno getting into Smash in spite of the fact that I've watched a full LP of Super Mario RPG.

I actually don't care too much about who's in the roster, and think there's plenty enough to like.  Snake's pretty much the only absent character I missed, and he's coming back anyway.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

18 minutes ago, Ertrick36 said:

Don't care all too much about Geno getting into Smash in spite of the fact that I've watched a full LP of Super Mario RPG.

I hope Sakurai doesn't make him a playable fighter.  I don't think one-offs like him deserve to be made into fighters at all.

That said, me might make a pretty good Assist Trophy.  I'm still waiting for Giygas to become an Assist Trophy.

1 hour ago, DisobeyedCargo said:

Not gonna lie, the only reason I even got Xenoblade was because of Shulk in smash

and now it has become my favorite game ever 

and Lucas is just super fun to play as because of how floaty he is

theres a lot of characters I enjoy playing as but like 1 or 2 I’m actually good at using 

as for the topic, smash run is a LOT of fun, especially with four people playing at the same time, I jsut wish the battles lasted longer 

I'm interested on it and I would like to check it out, but it's battle system could be something difficult at first

Oh, Smash Run is indeed lotsa fun! I specially enjoyed those climbing and race to the finish battles!

2 minutes ago, 1% Critical Hit said:

I'm interested on it and I would like to check it out, but it's battle system could be something difficult at first

Oh, Smash Run is indeed lotsa fun! I specially enjoyed those climbing and race to the finish battles!

id go on my usual Xenoblade rant but this isn’t the place for thag

it really is fun! Especially all the custom moves and powers you can put on your characters!

A few more of my unpopular opinions:

* I don't care one way or the other about Geno. Include him or don't.

* Same for Sora.

* The Goku for Smash meme needs to die. It would be a terrible idea.

* I do not want Dixie Kong at all. Or any other Donkey Kong rep besides the big three, for that matter, but especially not Dixie.

* I do not want Isabelle at all. I did not want Villager either. As a non-fan of Animal Crossing, if I had to pick an Animal Crossing rep, it would be Tom Nook.

* Incineroar would be a terrible choice for Gen 7. It's either Decidueye or bust. 

* Wolf is best space furry.

* Mother/Earthbound only deserved one rep.

* Xenoblade doesn't need another rep, but if it does get one, I hope it isn't Rex. He's dreadful.

1 hour ago, Etheus said:

By what metric? It currently exists in a subgenre of the fighting genre with very little meaningful competition (meaning other games with similar mechanics). There is no higher standard right now. 

I just don't like the games and I think people put too much value in it compared to the source and it overshadows the source too an almost comical level. You can't bring up Bayonetta without some weasel screaming about Smash even though all you wanted to do was compliment Bayonetta 2's amazing everything 

Just now, Etheus said:

* I don't care one way or the other about Geno. Include him or don't.

* Same for Sora.

I agree so much with all of these.

Smash 4 for 3DS was a really good idea for people who couldn't afford a WiiU or didn't want one, my case was the first one until last year

1 hour ago, Etheus said:

* I do not want Isabelle at all. I did not want Villager either. As a non-fan of Animal Crossing, if I had to pick an Animal Crossing rep, it would be Tom Nook.

TOM NOOK CRUSHES THE COMPETITION WITH INSURMOUNTABLE DEBT

I don't oppose this choice.  But only if you have to get him through a series of loans of in-game currency, and each loan you pay off gives him another move to use.

1 hour ago, Etheus said:

I can't possibly agree more with this.

Corrins counter in 4 didn't needed to be nerfed, okay trolly comment aside,

Fire Emblem having so many reps is fine, since it is representing a series with literal hundreds of unique characters, yet no-one bats an eye at the fact the Mario series is only missing Waluigi, Toad, and Paper Mario as reps, and they are still in the game as assists or moveset part or trophies

Not a fan of the new Link in Ultimate, and I used to main him in 4

Honestly I would love to see a lot more Nintendo characters get in from minor games if only to draw attention to those series, and by that same logic I also want many 3rd party characters depending on how iconic they are, their relation with Nintendo, and importance to video game history.

2 hours ago, Ertrick36 said:

Ike is better than Marth.

Daisy's better than Peach.

Falco's better than Fox.

Luigi's better than Mario.

Wow, dude, I agree with ALL of these.

Oh yeah, I don't care about Geno.

Edited by Anacybele

I couldn’t care less about Geno and think he has no business in Smash.

I like Brawl over Melee.

Snake should have left and never come back. 

I actually enjoy Mario Bros, Spear Pillar, Hannenbow, and (kinda) 75m.

I think all the 3rd party additions after Pac-Man have been super lame.

I prefer Lucario over Mewtwo, and feel Mewtwo should have remained in Melee. 

Custom moves are a lot of fun, they just weren’t implemented the best.

I find R.O.B. pretty neat as a character.

I like the 3DS version of 4 over the Wii U.

LoZ doesn’t need any more reps.

7 hours ago, Florete said:

A 3rd-party side character from a single 22-year-old game is not a good pick for Smash Bros.

I'm wracking my brain trying to figure out who this is in reference to.

Anyway...

Single player in general has been bad in Smash, and there's virtually no way to make it work with the priorities of the franchise.

3 minutes ago, Etheus said:

I hated Smash 4 solely because of how lacking its single player offering was, so I respectfully disagree.

What about Melee and 64? Weren’t they and the smash series in general designed to be played with other people primarily?

1 minute ago, Etheus said:

Melee's adventure mode was actually quite fun. I played it a lot, even if it was no SSE. 

Pardon my lack of Advenure mode knowledge, haven’t played Melee for a long time.

And forgive me if I seem pushy or hater like or anything but I don’t see why you’d outright hate smash 4 for not having it since it’s proamrilmy designed for playing with others

we should have gotten gharnef instead of chrom

fuck stock matches I prefer time matches when playing with others, especially more then two people, since it keeps everyone playing

I love stage hazards and items (though i do get why people would prefer to turn them off)

i prefer using roy over marth most of the time (atleast when it comes to meele im not too familiar with him in smash 4)

smash difficulty levels are almost universally poorly executed i feel

I dislike that ganondorf is using his ocarina design for smash ultimate

i dislike some of the rumored character choices people would prefer/seem to think or atleast hope will get in (namely banjo and geno)

i prefer brawl a bit more then melee

13 minutes ago, DisobeyedCargo said:

Pardon my lack of Advenure mode knowledge, haven’t played Melee for a long time.

And forgive me if I seem pushy or hater like or anything but I don’t see why you’d outright hate smash 4 for not having it since it’s proamrilmy designed for playing with others

I don't know. It felt like a step down. To go from a massive single player offering with a boss rush challenge mode that I could spend hours mastering to a far more sparse experience was not palatable to me at all. 

Of course, I'm also at the point in my life at which most of my high school and college friends have drifted away, leaving me without a chance to reliably play with others (and who else owned a Wii U anyway). I didn't exactly have an avenue to get much out of the game as intended (because, let's face it, Smash's history with online is not great), and the game itself made little effort to provide an alternative. 

Edited by Etheus

4 minutes ago, Etheus said:

I don't know. It felt like a step down. To go from a massive single player offering with a boss rush challenge mode that I could spend hours mastering to a far more sparse experience was not palatable to me at all. 

Of course, I'm also at the point in my life at which most of my high school and college friends have drifted away, leaving me without a chance to reliably play with others (and who else owned a Wii U anyway). I didn't exactly have an avenue to get much out of the game as intended, and the game itself made little effort to provide an alternative. 

I will agree that SSE was great and I did miss that, I will give you points there.

i just don’t think Smash is primarily designed for single player gameplay above all else.

• I prefer Melee's Adventure Mode over a Brawl's Subspace story mode. It's hard to have a compelling story when more than half the cast never speak.
  • I never understood the Ridley hype for Smash outside of memes.
  • Hearing complaints about Pokémon having most of its playable reps being from Gen 1. The first generation is the most iconic after all. That is like saying the majority of the Mario content represented in Smash should come from Galaxy/Odyssey/New Super Mario Bros instead of the older titles. Only Lucario really aged well and is remembered over the years especially since Game Freak's strategy for new games involves abandoning the previous gen to promote the newest gen. Only Gen 1 mons and Lucario never got left behind in the dust. Though if a gen 1 Pokémon were to get the axe from the smash roster I wouldn't miss Jigglypuff since its days of relevancy to the series are long gone and Eevee or even Meowth could replace it as the most memorable normal type mon.
  • Regarding Leaks/Rumors as facts before Nintendo officially de/confirms it.
  • Hearing 'insert here' series deserves more reps because of such and such reasons.
  • Complaints of too many FE reps wielding swords despite the majority of FE Protagonists wielding swords. Bonus points if said complainers then go on to recommend characters like Black Knight, Lyn and Sigurd who guess what, primarily use a sword. Really hearing the too many sword users in general is annoying to hear despite there being just as many characters using their hands, feet, etc.
  • Seeing tier lists for the games despite there being more to smash than one-on-one matches.

- Smash 4 was the weakest part

- Brawl had the best cast of characters

- Wolf should have replaced Falco in 4

- only Shulk and Megaman were interesting new characters in terms of game series and gameplay

- I find Ganondorf really good in Brawl

- I don't care for any of these newcomers and clones in 5 except Snake and Wolf are back

- too many Mario and Fire Emblem characters (though it's not uncommon but rather fact)

- chaotic stages like Port Town Aero Drive or Flat Zone are the best

- explosive box is my favorite item

Edited by Hecatia Lapislazuli