What are your unpopular Smash opinions?

Fabulously Olivier

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I unironically want steve as DLC, screw geno, screw banjo, screw sora, minecraft deserves a rep long before any of you.

I think that no one would have complained about piranha plant if it were literally any other smash bros.

On 11/8/2018 at 1:51 PM, Etrurian emperor said:

Seeing both male and female Morgan in Smash in some form or another would have been so great. Them being in the final Smash would have given them Smash models too. Oh well. 

Yes! And they could have male Morgan for female Robin and female Morgan for Male Robin and EVERYONE would be happy. I was hoping for this, but I sorta figured they just change it to like Robin using Bolganone and the other one without any aid. Making it kinda similar to Palutena's Final Smash actually. But yeah I really don't like how they're using Chrom, just patch that out please.

But anyway this is fun so...

• I didn't like Corrin as DLC. The timing was wrong in North America too because Fates hadn't even come out yet. And I believe Corrin is the reason that people starting really complaining that there was too many Fire Emblem characters. And I'm worried Nintendo has heard that and will be more hesitant to include new FE Characters as either DLC or in potential future installments. I think Corrin would have been better received as a newcomer for Ultimate rather then Smash 4 DLC.
  • I still wish Marth and especially Roy spoke Japanese in Ultimate. I think Ray Chase makes a better Eliwood. They could even have like a special Eng/Jap Switch just for those two.
  • I never liked how Cloud spoke Japanese, he already has an English VA who I believe said he'd totally voice Cloud in Smash. And FF7 was localized right away, unlike Shadow Dragon and the Sword of Light as well as Binding Blade.
  • Make Alph an Echo! Switch out Purple Pikmin for Rock Pikmin and he qualifies.
  • I'd prefer it if Bowser Jr. had alternate colours or clothes instead of having the Kooplings
  • Use Jen Taylor's Melee clips for Peach. She was my favourite and her, "Sweet!" or, "Oh, did I win?" I think are a little more iconic.
  • I've never had a problem with including Clones or Echo Fighters
  • For Ultimate I'd want them to extended the concept of stacking and swapping Echoes to Male/Female characters. I'd love for Female Robin to be displayed like she was default. I know Corrin fans would be happy too.
  • While I'm at it where's my Female Robin amiibo? Female Corrin got one. I want a Female Robin Amiibo.
  • Bayonetta was a fantastic addition to Smash

27 minutes ago, PersonWithTime said:

While I'm at it where's my Female Robin amiibo? Female Corrin got one. I want a Female Robin Amiibo.

I KNOW RIGHT. The only way to get a female Robin Amiibo is to have it custom made. I don't understand why they didn't make one. 

I'm happy I'm not alone on that at least! I seriously just skipped the Robin amiibo because it felt pointless to me. I was sorta hoping maybe we'd get a Female Robin one for Warriors but... I don't know! Maybe we'll get one for Ultimate? Maybe? I really hope so. I love that woman, she's like my girl crush.

1 hour ago, vanguard333 said:

I enjoyed Smash Tour and Smash Run. They both could've been improved, but they were fun. 

I agree with this. My brothers and I played the shit out of Smash Tour, knowing full well it was an imbalanced mess

- While I would like to see Smash Run return, I don't like the idea of running into other players unless the map is truly massive and you're unable to damage or KO each other. And instead of a big map I'd rather have multiple maps that change things up. See, with other players, you'd run into the problem of shadowing. If we meet up and you're fighting enemies I can just snag the powerups that appear while you're still in your attack animation. This could happen just as easily by accident too. Furthermore if we could attack each other than we face the issue of nonmutual combat that pervades any multiplayer game that doesn't have a purely competitive focus. Also what if I happen upon an area somebody else has cleaned out? I'll have no indication that all the enemies are destroyed until I've wasted a lot of time in there. So here's my proposal for Smash run. Have only this optional multiplayer area in the middle of the map with constantly spawning enemies that everybody wants to themselves. And you can attack each other in this area. If too many people show up, then there's not a lot of powerups to go around and you risk getting KOd by another player. But if everybody sleeps on this one area, you can get a lot of profits if you step in at the right moment.

- Say what you will about them as characters, but Robin and Corrin are by far the most unique and true to source material Fire Emblem characters in Smash Bros. 

- I don't mind Lucina having the clone moveset since in her base game the only character that shared a moveset with her was literally Marth. 

- Smash Ultimate will not be the Ultimate Smash until we get a return of character-specific bonus stages. AND I don't think making up stages for each character is some monumental task. The examples we got in the first two games were absolutely slap dash and primarily an excuse to use a few unused object and other graphical assets.

- Custom moves and having to unlock custom moves are inoffensive in concept. Having it be a pain in the ass in one game is not reason enough to exclude them in the next when you can just build a better economy. 

- Smash Bros. DLC was overpriced in 4. I don't care if it looked better than Street Fighter 5's three season passes, or Guilty Gear having half its roster as DLC, I just think the price points for all content were too high save for Ryu, Bayonetta, and Cloud who came with their own stages and music. And making us pay for legacy characters and legacy stages is scummy regardless of price point - which is most of the reason I commend Ultimate for its Everybody Is Here angle.

- My most wanted game mechanic in Ultimate that was exclusive to Melee is honestly just preserved momentum with running jumps. Smash Bros is a platform fighter, it makes sense for your running momentum to carry into your jump. Melee is the first and last game in the series to implement such a basic platformer concept.

- I don't blame people for not knowing details about this game, but honestly 64 feels way less fun than Brawl or any other smash bros from a competitive stand point. Shields are useless because everything is safe on block. Hitstun is way too high and the lack of air dodging makes it usually impossible to just land and get back into neutral at high level play. I think 64 is way more spectator friendly than Brawl because combos and nostalgia are turned up to 11, but as a player the game sucks to get serious with. And don't get me started on the controller. There's a reason why most of the best players use third party controllers or adapters. Plus the game is just not balanced or programmed competently. Grabs have almost no endlag on whiff, and way too much KO power. Many aerials lack landing lag at bizarre points of the animation, and Z-Cancelling is too powerful for how easy it is to perform. Several Hitboxes are just way too massive - Kirby is the biggest offender of this. Jigglypuff's double jump heights make no sense. And Dreamland is the only competitively viable stage because it's the only one where one or both of the side blast zones aren't extremely close to a ledge. 

10 minutes ago, peener weener said:

Yes?

again, am i in the wrong thread?

Hey, I'm not saying you can't have the opinion. I was just looking for clarification because it honestly baffles me.

On 11/16/2018 at 12:18 AM, peener weener said:

smash 4 was the worst in the series by most metrics

1 hour ago, peener weener said:

Yes?

again, am i in the wrong thread?

Saying that it’s your favorite is different than saying it’s the worst by most metrics 

most metrics implies that it statistically did worse, like in sales numbers which is far from true 

Would disliking Chrom's addition count as an unpopular opinion? I don't recall the whole ''Too many FE characters!'' controversy really getting off the ground when he got announced so I guess most people were fine with it. 

But I don't like Chrom's addition. In terms of representation it adds nothing because Awakening was already very strongly represented. I don't like his moves either because he's just another sword user. He's not an axe user like Hector nor a mage like Celica. I don't see what his moves add that Marth, Ike and Roy don't do already. Out of all the lords he's the most boring and redundant character they could have gone for. 

13 hours ago, Etrurian emperor said:

Would disliking Chrom's addition count as an unpopular opinion? I don't recall the whole ''Too many FE characters!'' controversy really getting off the ground when he got announced so I guess most people were fine with it. 

But I don't like Chrom's addition. In terms of representation it adds nothing because Awakening was already very strongly represented. I don't like his moves either because he's just another sword user. He's not an axe user like Hector nor a mage like Celica. I don't see what his moves add that Marth, Ike and Roy don't do already. Out of all the lords he's the most boring and redundant character they could have gone for. 

I completely agree. With his addition, we now have 7 FE characters; 4 of whom have movesets derived from Marth. I would be fine with 7 FE characters, but there needed to be variety. Plus, it adds to Awakening's overrepresentation. 

If it had to be an Echo Fighter, why not Micaiah as a Zelda Echo, or Celica as a Robin Echo?