What are your unpopular Smash opinions?

Fabulously Olivier

I thought it would be interesting to discuss our unpopular opinions regarding Smash Bros, its roster, stages, community, etc. 

Feel free to respond to other posts, but keep it civil. 

I'll start.

I think Star Fox is over-represented or at least inefficiently represented. I'm aware that is going to be controversial because Star Fox has been held in high regard. It's a unique franchise that offers an entirely different genre from the rest of Nintendo's staples, but it deserves a better history than it actually has. It's a series with a fairly small number of games, with only a couple well-received games early on in its lifespan. It's sad, but Star Fox was only truly relevant at the time before Smash 64. With that in mind, 3 characters and a multitude of stages is a lot of representation. I think it could have been adequately represented by 2 characters (Fox and Wolf), a couple stages, and one boss (Andross).

But in a perfect world, Star Fox would have consistently great games AND more representation to match.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kid Icarus: The negativity surrounding Dark Pit really bugs me. The annoyance over him and Lucina being clones was already silly because it was clear they were just cute extra's that didn't cost much development time. But between these two clones Dark Pit got it way worse than Lucina which I don't think is fair. Lucina is a big deal but as a character Dark Pit is every bit her equal. He's a great character that came from a great game just like Lucina was a great character coming from a great game. Dark Pit was in no way any less worthy than Lucina. 

Ganondorf: I never understood the obsession with Ganon getting a sword. I don't like it that he's aping Captain Falcon either but a sword would miss the point just as much. Ganon is an evil wizard and his moves should reflect that. If Ganondorf gets his own moves he should be a heavyweight sorceror type character rather than a swordsmen. 

A 3rd-party side character from a single 22-year-old game is not a good pick for Smash Bros.

I don't want another Subspace Emissary. I preferred Melee's Adventure mode and would rather get something closer to that.

I liked custom specials and am disappointed they are not returning.

13 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

Kid Icarus: The negativity surrounding Dark Pit really bugs me. The annoyance over him and Lucina being clones was already silly because it was clear they were just cute extra's that didn't cost much development time. But between these two clones Dark Pit got it way worse than Lucina which I don't think is fair. Lucina is a big deal but as a character Dark Pit is every bit her equal. He's a great character that came from a great game just like Lucina was a great character coming from a great game. Dark Pit was in no way any less worthy than Lucina. 

Ganondorf: I never understood the obsession with Ganon getting a sword. I don't like it that he's aping Captain Falcon either but a sword would miss the point just as much. Ganon is an evil wizard and his moves should reflect that. If Ganondorf gets his own moves he should be a heavyweight sorceror type character rather than a swordsmen. 

My position on both Dark Pit and Lucina is ambivalent. Dark Pit stands out because he has fewer aesthetic and ability differences from his main character than any other Echo. It comes across as a glorified costume... even more than the other echo fighters, I mean. I imagine Dark Link would have gotten the same reaction if he were made a full echo fighter. Dark Samus has gotten somewhat of a free pass because she actually functions very differently to Samus in the games and is a huge part of the Prime Trilogy's story (literally being its namesake).

I advocate for Warriors Ganondorf because it perfectly encapsulates both aspects of his character - the warrior and the sorceror. I don't think he would be complete if either facet was missing.

Sakurai only added ridley because he got tired of the whining about it.

I would have prefered a grima echo for robin that is more like dark samus over chrom.

I thought Krool was the most underwhelming announcement so far, I wasn't annoyed like with chrom, I didn't feel like it was sakurai buckling to the whims of the fanbase like with ridley, Krool just didn't do anything for me, still appreciate the gang plank galleon remix though, that ironically, was my favorite song from DKC.

I think that roy is still a marth clone, his changes are only minor at best.

I think that there is no such thing as too much representation, provided you don't have too many clones fire emblem 

I don't think "too many swords" is a legitimate complaint, if you want to complain about the fire emblem roster, complain instead that 4 characters have the same basic moveset and playstyle.

Greninja needed those nerfs

I hate that Cloud is in smash and I hate him in general, iconic my socks

watching Sheik and Diddy Kong being played is not that entertaining

I dunno if this counts as an opinion, but I main Jigglypuff because I like it and not because of bragging things about tiers

46 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

Neither of these are unpopular. At all.

20 minutes ago, DisobeyedCargo said:

Too many anime sword bois is the worst complaint ever to have considering almost every sword user has very unique mechanics and moves to differentiate themselves.

Not unpopular, but quoting this anyway because it's one of the stupidest complaints I've seen.

Anyways, for something I at least haven't seen brought up much: I feel like the Smash fandom is a bit too much of a personality cult in regards to Sakurai. Everything that happens with the game is because of him apparently, with every bit of praise/blame punted his way. He's the Director, yeah, but he's far from the only person working on it. The dev team is a bunch of moving parts that work together while also answering to Nintendo; seeing Sakurai talked about like he's the only person working on Smash is a bit of a pet peeve of mine.

4 minutes ago, The DanMan said:

Not unpopular, but quoting this anyway because it's one of the stupidest complaints I've seen.

Anyways, for something I at least haven't seen brought up much: I feel like the Smash fandom is a bit too much of a personality cult in regards to Sakurai. Everything that happens with the game is because of him apparently, with every bit of praise/blame punted his way. He's the Director, yeah, but he's far from the only person working on it. The dev team is a bunch of moving parts that work together while also answering to Nintendo; seeing Sakurai talked about like he's the only person working on Smash is a bit of a pet peeve of mine.

From how much you see this complaint it’s easy to think it’s popular 

I think part of that is because he is the director. He’s the one most people think of first when it comes to smash development. But I do agree that other parts of the dev team deserve praise/blame aswell

6 minutes ago, 1% Critical Hit said:

I hate that Cloud is in smash and I hate him in general, iconic my socks

watching Sheik and Diddy Kong being played is not that entertaining

I dunno if this counts as an opinion, but I main Jigglypuff because I like it and not because of bragging things about tiers

Really you outright hate cloud being in? I’m not gonna lie I would have wanted terra over cloud for FF, but I don’t outrigjt hate it, why do you hate him being in smash?

Just now, DisobeyedCargo said:

Really you outright hate cloud being in? I’m not gonna lie I would have wanted terra over cloud for FF, but I don’t outrigjt hate it, why do you hate him being in smash?

It's because I don't like and hate Cloud in general and yes, I played FF7 and the related thingies, gave him all of the opportunities to like him and still don't like him.

I also wanted Terra and even Cecil from FF4, but we got Cloud instead. I don't complain about that openly because lotsa people love him and that's perfectly fine, one shouldn't force their own opinions because those are different from the rest.

1 minute ago, 1% Critical Hit said:

It's because I don't like and hate Cloud in general and yes, I played FF7 and the related thingies, gave him all of the opportunities to like him and still don't like him.

I also wanted Terra and even Cecil from FF4, but we got Cloud instead. I don't complain about that openly because lotsa people love him and that's perfectly fine, one shouldn't force their own opinions because those are different from the rest.

for what it’s worth I find him really fun to play as

oh im not forcing you to conform to others opinions, I jsut wasn’t sure if you hated him as a character, as a FF rep, how he’s playable/playstyle, etc...

I do still need to finish FF7 and 6 so I can’t comment on him as a character 

for what it’s worth I find him really fun to play as

oh im not forcing you to conform to others opinions, I jsut wasn’t sure if you hated him as a character, as a FF rep, how he’s playable/playstyle, etc...

I do still need to finish FF7 and 6 so I can’t comment on him as a character 

One thing that I didn't mention... I actually play Cloud, but for only one reason and that is to train my friends if they encounter him in a tournament or to push their limits in general. One of my fellas got so good with Ganondorf that I have to play seriously with my Jiggly queen and Koopa King. (That makes me sorta like a teacher or coach? XD)

It's fine c:

I would like to know your opinion after finishing FF7 and also 6 :3

3 minutes ago, 1% Critical Hit said:

One thing that I didn't mention... I actually play Cloud, but for only one reason and that is to train my friends if they encounter him in a tournament or to push their limits in general. One of my fellas got so good with Ganondorf that I have to play seriously with my Jiggly queen and Koopa King. (That makes me sorta like a teacher or coach? XD)

It's fine c:

I would like to know your opinion after finishing FF7 and also 6 :3

He is VERY good in compeitive, but I jsut play him cause I think he’s fun to play as 

my personal go to for when I need to get serious are Lucas or Shulk

if I ever get to playing them in my massive backlog I shall do so

He is VERY good in compeitive, but I jsut play him cause I think he’s fun to play as 

my personal go to for when I need to get serious are Lucas or Shulk

if I ever get to playing them in my massive backlog I shall do so

Someday my hatred for him will subside and I will get why is he fun to play as, considering that I use him as a "training punching bag that punches back really hard"

I knew that you would mention Shulk and it's always interesting to see that fellow! Also Lucas! :D

There's a rule for how much main characters can someone play as? :o
I would have three mains if there's no rule x3

Xenoblade and Fire Emblem should have the same amount of reps. 

Waluigi shouldn't be a playable character.

Smash was meant to be played with items on. The game, in its current design, was not built to be as competitive as other fighting games. It gets far too stale without items.

- Items are actually pretty fun to use, and those who turn them off are seriously missing out.

- The Subspace Emissary had solid interactions between characters, and didn't need voice acting.

- Marth is overrated.

- Smash Run was often harder than it needed to be, making it more frustrating (or at least, annoying) than fun. And the fights at the end with super powered characters would be cool! ...if they lasted more than a minute.

- The Star Fox easter egg needs more love and complexity.

- Waluigi always had a poor chance of getting in, and only became a meme because "Ridley's too large" no longer applies.

- Smash 64 and Melee are still fun and playable to this day, but they have seriously aged both graphically and mechanically.

-Kid Icarus's difficulty works great in its own game... Less so in Smash Bros, where there are over 40 characters you have to beat classic mode with in order to unlock every trophy. It just made it a hassle, especially when you realize how much better you've gotten at the game, and would like to try you favorite character on a higher difficulty.

- Although I am fine with it never happening, clothing damage was a cool idea that would be interesting to see implemented.

Not sure how this stands, but I always thought the thing about Ridley being too large to be playable was bullcrap because in the original Metroid game for the NES he's barely taller than Samus.  Therefore I always thought scaling him down to roughly Bowser size was perfectly reasonable.

Edited by Von Ithipathachai

50 minutes ago, 1% Critical Hit said:

Someday my hatred for him will subside and I will get why is he fun to play as, considering that I use him as a "training punching bag that punches back really hard"

I knew that you would mention Shulk and it's always interesting to see that fellow! Also Lucas! :D

There's a rule for how much main characters can someone play as? :o
I would have three mains if there's no rule x3

Not gonna lie, the only reason I even got Xenoblade was because of Shulk in smash

and now it has become my favorite game ever 

and Lucas is just super fun to play as because of how floaty he is

theres a lot of characters I enjoy playing as but like 1 or 2 I’m actually good at using 

as for the topic, smash run is a LOT of fun, especially with four people playing at the same time, I jsut wish the battles lasted longer 

I think Chrom was a poor addition to Smash. We did not need three Awakening characters when the FE series has a bunch of other games that have little to nothing in Smash. Awakening was the most successful game, but it already had two characters and that's enough.

Waluigi should never be playable and I'm glad Sakurai chose Daisy instead. Waluigi has annoying and cruel fans that harassed the poor man. Not to mention Daisy has more of a history and a bit more relevance overall. She's been around much longer and actually debuted in a more mainstream Mario title. She wasn't created for the sake of another character having a partner like Waluigi was. Waluigi only exists so Wario could have a partner in stuff like Mario Kart Double Dash.

Also, Daisy is just way more awesome in general. :3

Not a fan of K. Rool being added over Dixie Kong. At least as it stands. Dixie could still be in, and I hope she is.

59 minutes ago, Kazuya said:

Smash is overrated garbage that is overhyped and isn't worth getting excited for. That being said I like remixes. 

By what metric? It currently exists in a subgenre of the fighting genre with very little meaningful competition (meaning other games with similar mechanics). There is no higher standard right now. 

Many people dont like that there are so many fire emblem characters but obviously i love it even though ill only play Ike like always. They are trying to expand the Fire Emblem brand for sure which i like just hopefully doesn't mean we going away from the roots.