What are your unpopular Smash opinions?

Fabulously Olivier

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

- I could not have cared less about Ridley and K Rool.

- I don't think Geno has a shot at all. I don't think Square would want their second rep to be an obscure one-shot character, who wasn't even the main character.

- I don't want any more third parties outside of Echoes. I think we have enough.

- Smash 4 was very lack lustre, especially compared to Brawl. I think this is due to the lack of a good single player.

- I don't want any more Donkey Kong reps, unless Dixie is an Echo.

- Incineroar is a terrible choice for a gen 7 rep. Like someone else here said, Decidueye or bust.

- King Boo would be a far better choice for another Mario rep than Waluigi.

18 hours ago, thecrimsonflash said:

I think that roy is still a marth clone, his changes are only minor at best.

I think that there is no such thing as too much representation, provided you don't have too many clones fire emblem 

I don't think "too many swords" is a legitimate complaint, if you want to complain about the fire emblem roster, complain instead that 4 characters have the same basic moveset and playstyle.

16 hours ago, Anacybele said:

I think Chrom was a poor addition to Smash. We did not need three Awakening characters when the FE series has a bunch of other games that have little to nothing in Smash. Awakening was the most successful game, but it already had two characters and that's enough.

This. I love the amount of FE characters, but I wish there had been more variety to them. Roy is still a semi-clone of Marth, and Chrom being an Echo of Roy makes him a semi-clone of Marth as well. Plus; three Awakening characters? I get that it saved the franchise, but still. 

If the newest FE character in Smash had to be an Echo Fighter, I was hoping that, instead of Chrom as an Echo of Roy, we would have Micaiah as an Echo Fighter of Zelda (replace the Phantom with either Sothe or the Black Knight) or Celica as an Echo Fighter of Robin (with self-damage instead of limited uses). If it had to be an Echo of Roy, why not Eliwood? It would at least be justified by Eliwood being Roy's dad, and the first FE game that was made international would finally get some representation among the playable fighters. 

I was hoping that Trevor Belmont would be one of the playable Belmonts and no; not just because of the show, though that is part of it.

I would've preferred that Link be kept left-handed (frankly, I would have preferred that Link had been kept left-handed in Breath of the Wild. Oh well; hopefully by the next Zelda game, Nintendo will remember that Link is the Left-Handed Hero). Also, why did they give him a normal grab? Why not just replace the hookshot with the magnesis rune?

Speaking of Breath of the Wild, a Guardian needs to appear as a boss. It's laser should one-hit shatter any shield that isn't a perfect shield, and be reflected by a perfect shield. 

I would much rather have Captain Toad as a playable fighter than Waluigi. I like Captain Toad, and I couldn't care less about Waluigi. Captain Toad can't even jump, but he would still make a far better Mario rep than Waluigi. 

Edited by vanguard333

- It's been said before, but I'll say it again, Geno should not be in Smash. There are plenty of other characters that deserve to be in the game way more.

- The Smash Bros. community is essentially a very large group of spoiled little brats. The inclusions of Ridley and King K. Rool are proof of this.

- The competitive players really need to just move on from Melee already, it's been way too long.

- Items are fun to play with, especially with 4 players.

- Elma has a better chance of becoming playable than Rex in Smash Ultimate, that is if any new Xenoblade characters are added at all.

- If Namco puts in a second rep, it's going to be Heihachi, not Lloyd. Sorry Tales fans.

- Stop complaining about Waluigi, there are other assist trophies that deserve to be fighters as well.

1 hour ago, TheGoodHoms said:

- It's been said before, but I'll say it again, Geno should not be in Smash. There are plenty of other characters that deserve to be in the game way more.

Agree.

- The Smash Bros. community is essentially a very large group of spoiled little brats. The inclusions of Ridley and King K. Rool are proof of this.

In fairness to the Smash community, Ridley and K. Rool should have been in since Brawl, if not Melee. I would say the Geno and Walluigi for Smash movements are proof more than anything else.

- The competitive players really need to just move on from Melee already, it's been way too long.

*Shrugs* Different strokes for different folks. I personally liked Brawl's slower, floatier gameplay best myself. Minus tripping, of course.

- Items are fun to play with, especially with 4 players.

Items on low is how I like to play it.

- Elma has a better chance of becoming playable than Rex in Smash Ultimate, that is if any new Xenoblade characters are added at all.

Agreed, and hope so as well. Rex is so blegh.

- If Namco puts in a second rep, it's going to be Heihachi, not Lloyd. Sorry Tales fans.

I hope you're wrong on that one.

- Stop complaining about Waluigi, there are other assist trophies that deserve to be fighters as well.

Agreed. But does anyone actually want Walluigi unironically? I just assumed his support was a meme.

Edited by Etheus

- I don't want Rex as a playable character in Smash. Don't particularly like him to be honest, but Pyra and Mythra are okay. The characters I want to represent XB2 are Jin and Lora, but I realize that's a pipe dream. 

-Don't really care for Ridley or K-Rool. They're overhyped, imo.

-There's too many Links.

to add, I would have prefered Adam Malkovich over Ridley as a new metroid rep, I think it would have been cool to get a federation trooper moveset.

I don't get the Geno hype, I understand K. Rool and Ridley (villains from popular series), but Geno is a one off character from a game that will never get a true sequel, I won't care if he gets in or not, but I just don't get it.

I would not object to steve from minecraft in smash bros, I think it would be kind of like a cloud situation where you have an unlikely inclusion that is a gaming icon but sakurai makes it happen because it shocks and amazes.

I also question the Issac hype, the introduction of a series that hasn't seen a new release in a decade seems strange to me.

51 minutes ago, thecrimsonflash said:

to add, I would have prefered Adam Malkovich over Ridley as a new metroid rep, I think it would have been cool to get a federation trooper moveset.

I don't get the Geno hype, I understand K. Rool and Ridley (villains from popular series), but Geno is a one off character from a game that will never get a true sequel, I won't care if he gets in or not, but I just don't get it.

I would not object to steve from minecraft in smash bros, I think it would be kind of like a cloud situation where you have an unlikely inclusion that is a gaming icon but sakurai makes it happen because it shocks and amazes.

I also question the Issac hype, the introduction of a series that hasn't seen a new release in a decade seems strange to me.

Golden Sun: Dark Dawn is not quite 8 years old, not over a decade. 

Regardless, I'm one of those Isaac/Felix supporters. Golden Sun was a significant historical gem and comprised of some of the best releases for Nintendo's handheld library. It was arguably the most ambitious handheld RPG series that Nintendo had. 

Certainly, I think that if F. Zero and Star Fox can be represented with their spotty histories, Golden Sun can be as well.

Though I do understand that the age of the last game in the franchise does represent a problem regardless.

Edited by Etheus

30 minutes ago, Etheus said:

Certainly, I think that if F. Zero and Star Fox can be represented with their spotty histories, Golden Sun can be as well.

The thing is Golden Sun isn’t exactly on par with either of those. Star Fox is still alive and well, it just has gaps between it’s releases (some longer than others). Now F-Zero at this point is a dead franchise, but Captain Falcon is pretty iconic to Smash and the F-Zero games are probably more recognizable. Golden Sun debuted much later than either of the franchises with the first game being on the GBA so it lacks presence, and Isaac isn’t a recognizable character. Not that I’m against Isaac joining, even though I have no attachment whatsoever to Golden Sun. It’s just not a fair comparison to make.

4 hours ago, Etheus said:

Golden Sun: Dark Dawn is not quite 8 years old, not over a decade. 

Regardless, I'm one of those Isaac/Felix supporters. Golden Sun was a significant historical gem and comprised of some of the best releases for Nintendo's handheld library. It was arguably the most ambitious handheld RPG series that Nintendo had. 

Though I do understand that the age of the last game in the franchise does represent a problem regardless.

It was a first party JRPG on the GBA that sold less with each entry and ended up binned entirely, with Isaac's AT getting cut from Smash 4. 

I could call Mario Kart the most ambitious kart racing game Nintendo has because it's the only one it has; this just feels like someone conflating nostalgia with "legacy"/quality. 

F-Zero is the grandfather clause incarnate in regards to Smash, and at least was a more successful series than Golden Sun (4 games, 5 million sales). Star Fox, though off-and-on, still has had a release every console generation while also dating back to the SNES. Not really comparable, at all. Heck, the closest comparison you could make is with Xenoblade as another 1st party JRPG series-- except it's more recent and has experienced a steady uptick in sales, with 2 selling 1.5 million (and of course, Sakurai personally loving it-- which just makes Rex even more of a lock for DLC; of course Xenoblade probably won't get anything at base due to Elma's and Pyra's English VAs openly commenting about wanting their characters in Smash/not being contacted for it). 

This whole post just feels very pretentious, honestly. 

One more thing to add.

So I understand Smash has an emphasis on multiplayer; in fact, some of the best fun I've had with the games has been playing it on the couch with friends.  What I don't like is that these days that typically translates to online multiplayer.  I hate playing games with strangers who I might not even be able to talk to and certainly cannot see; way too impersonal, to the point that it doesn't even feel like I'm playing with another human being.  And my concern is that with Nintendo starting up an online service that may only get emphasized further, and such would hurt the game since many people are hesitant to even subscribe to that service (especially since it sounds like it's already kind of shoddy, not offering cloud services to all games and whatnot).

I don't think there has ever been a "bad" Smash roster selection, even if I may have had some bad gut reactions in the past, I think Sakurai has done a terrific job with every character he has added. I even think the FE representation has been good, it fits given the nature of the series having different protagonists.

Unless Sakurai does something REALLY stupid like adding Goku or Shrek or Spongebob (which I trust he won't), I don't think there will ever be a Smash roster I won't like.

- Wolf has some pretty unique and cool alterations of Fox/Falcos moveset, and should have been in Smash 4.

- No, calling them "Echo fighters" does not remove the fact that they are still clones.

- On that same token, "clones" is a misleading term. A youtube reviewer (curious if anyone will know who I'm talking about) called them "mods," as these characters were "modifications" of another character, with similar yet slightly different moves and attack power. I find the term to be more accurate, and prefer to use it over the more common "clones".

- As reliable as the new classic mode in Smash ultimate will be when aiming for a high score, I worry that having to fight the same opponents every time will cause the mode to loose some of its replayability.

- As cool as it is that Daisy is getting in... I honestly could have seen her getting a more unique moveset while still being an echo of Peach.

• Geno shouldn't really be in Smash. I feel like most people want him in because of his association with a particular song rather than the character himself. If "Beware the Forest Mushrooms" didn't exist, Geno support wouldn't be as high as it is now.
  • Sora shouldn't be in Smash either (and then i found out that Disney 100% owns Sora so RIP his chances)
  • Rex isn't too new to be in the base game of Smash Ultimate.
  • Fighting Rosalina is worse than fighting Bayonetta (especially in Ultimate, appearently shield covers Luma too? God damn it)
  • The fact that there are actually three Links and two Marios is worse than four FE characters fighting similarly. At least all FE characters are actually different characters.
    • Adding to that, the Zelda series is actually the franchise that is represented the most poorly. While yes, all the key characters are there, it doesn't help that Ganondorf is the only one who is actually himself. Because there's three Links (literally the same character) and Zelda and Sheik are the same character (canonically). If you're gonna have 5 reps, make it so that the same character isn't there three times. Replace Young and Toon Link with, i don't know, literally anyone from Zelda. Skull Kid, Tingle, Groose, anyone.
      • Toon Zelda/Tetra shouldn't be in Smash for this same reason.
  • We don't actually need a new Pokemon rep. But we're gonna get one anyway.
  • Not wanting a character in Smash simply because you don't like them is very petty (is this a popular or an unpopular opinion? Because i feel like it can be both.)
    • EDIT: Let me clarify: Not wanting a character in Smash simply because you don't like them is very petty UNLESS it's a stupid choice like Goku.
Edited by Armagon

Lots of people seem to be against Geno getting in here, so I'll just say now that I've wanted him in the game pretty much since the original Smash cuz I love Super Mario RPG.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think FE has too much representation considering how big each game's cast is, however, I think that there should be less sword users in exchange for other non-sword wielding characters. I know that most of the protagonists use swords specifically, but like, c'mon. You could at least have them feel a bit more different in their playstyles. All of the FE characters except Robin have a counter, for example. I don't know what's stopping them from using Hector or Micaiah, who are protagonists that don't use a sword, at least at base, and with Heroes being so popular, it's completely sensible to dig around for characters that aren't from the most recent games.

I also do not like several of the newer characters in the game because they're just... not good to play, they don't feel right, if that makes sense. For example, Pacman has useless aerials. His aerial down is awful. There's barely enough knock back where characters hit by it don't get caught in it, and his moves, while nostalgic, are mostly weak and/or bad. Duckhunt is supposed to be a zoning character, but his projectiles are terrible and one of them literally can't be aimed, while the other can be shoddily aimed, and his down special, Wild Gunman, is borderline useless for how slow it is and how little damage it does. Corrin is yet another FE swordie, which as I said previously is pretty boring. I don't want this game to ever go in a heavy fanservice direction where it feels like characters weren't given enough love in their movesets to be useful because they were tossed in there for the fans. 

Lastly, some characters got nerfed when they really didn't need to be or they weren't changed up for the better. King Dedede is far worse in Smash 4, he lost his rolling grab and while his side special was never amazing or anything, having projectiles that can be easily knocked back to you with just an a-tap (the Gordo can be kicked back with a Lucas a-tap, seriously) is... questionable. I still await the day when they make PK Flash be useful, because it is extremely easy to air dodge, it's turtle slow, and while it does tons of damage, it isn't even easy to move around and has poor range. And lastly, Jigglypuff really should have better recovery from aerials when she hits the ground, since she's so focused on using them, she shouldn't be so heavily punished for landing when she could be a combo machine if she didn't take such a long break between the aerial hit and landing. 

(Quick 4th unpopular opinion: As a Zelda main, I hate her new look, her Twilight Princess resting stone-face look is so majestic and princess like, a great contrast to Peach, I think it's way cooler than this less mature, bright Zelda we have now)

• 1 month later...

Some franchises are simply better represented with templates.

For Fire Emblem and Star Fox in particular, using templates to group a bunch of characters into identical playstyles as costumes of eachother is just a better way of representing them.

For Star Fox, Fox, Slippy, Peppy, Falco, Wolf, etc. have slightly different potential functions, but there really isn't enough to justify a bunch of semi-clones. Having all of the space furries serve as costumes of eachother would have been a great, efficient use of roster space while giving the player more options.

The same goes for Fire Emblem. Instead of having a bunch of redundant echo fighters, we could have a lord moveset (Marth, Lucina, Roy, Seliph, Leif, Chrom, etc.), a hero moveset (Ike, Gerik, Priam, Echidna, Raven, etc.), a warrior moveset (Barst, Boyd, Nolan, Hawkeye, Charlotte, etc.), so on and so forth. No one in their right mind would call out each character as gratuitous, and the series could have just gotten 1-2 new movesets per game with a couple new characters for each previous one.

Edited by Etheus

- I actually liked SubSpace Emissary, it had beautiful cutscenes and a decent plot. I didn't mind that it didn't have voice acting. I mean seriously guys, if it had voice acting we would probably be complaining about how bad the voice acting was instead of complaing about not having it. 

- I really don't mind the amount of FE characters there are, I just hate how they don't have a more diverse cast. Literally all of them use swords. I mean do we really need Chrom and Lucina? We already have Robin representing Awakening, we don't need three characters from the same game. Chrom and Lucina are basically clones anyways. If I had a say in things I would probably just keep Marth, Ike, Robin, Corrin. 

- I like Brawl waaaaaaaay better than Melee. 

- Isaac is not going to get into smash. I'm not against him being in smash, I actually LOVE Golden Sun and have played all three games. But really, he only had 3 games and the third game wasn't even about him. Plus he hasn't had a game in EIGHT years. I bet a lot of newer gamers wouldn't eve know who the heck he is. 

- the new design for Zelda needs to go die in a hole. 

- we need an Arms character in smash

- The Knight(from Hollow Knight), needs to be in smash. Sadly this probably won't happen

12 minutes ago, Robin126 said:

I actually liked SubSpace Emissary, it had beautiful cutscenes and a decent plot. I didn't mind that it didn't have voice acting. I mean seriously guys, if it had voice acting we would probably be complaining about how bad the voice acting was instead of complaing about not having it. 

I thought the subspace mode was generally really popular aside from the lack of VA?