(Br) Any fun challenge runs?

MyLuckyHaiku

Exactly what the title suggests, I am currently doing a (Birthright) Lunatic/Classic, No grind, Iron man run, And I need ideas for a fun challenge run after I finish this one. (Current challenge run rules below)

Spoiler

Weapons allowed:Bronze, Iron, Steel, Silver, Beaststones, And Dragonstones

Free DLC Only (I will only do before awakening once)

No buying skills (I never do though)

No claiming My Castle rewards (Bp and Vp bonuses)

Only my castle buildings allowed are:Armory, Rod shop, Private quarters, Smithy, Lottery shop, And farms. (No arena, Dining hall, Einherjar shop, Prison, Records hall, Or Lilith's temple)

You Can visit other people's castles, Just don't battle them.

My Avatar's starting stuff. Boon:Lucky, Bane:Fragile, Talent:Outlaw, Gender:Female.

Edited by MyLuckyHaiku

No legendary weaponry (especially no Raijinto).

Maybe no royals (without their weapons, they're not that much more powerful than other characters though).

Only play DLC missions once.  And limit the number of DLC missions you play or only use characters you don't plan on using for the main run.

Male/female only.  Since Fates lets you pick the lord's gender, this challenge is more feasible than in other games.

No forge OR bronze weapons only.

No skills (apart from personal skills, obviously).

Various types of class limitations (e.g. infantry only, all units made into one class [through friendship seal shenanigans; I was able to make a team of 16 Spear masters this way]).

These are the ideas I've had.

Try Corrinright where you recruit SF member's avatars. A friend of mine did this for Conquest and just started a Birthright run.

Basic rules iirc are tier 1 class, one skill of choice (no level 15 promoted skills), and avatars should be I think around the level Dragon fang is acquired when starting out.

There's also the solo run. Never tried it myself so I can't say anything about its difficulty, Typically you're partnered up for it

Edited by Arcphoenix

24 minutes ago, Ertrick36 said:

No legendary weaponry (especially no Raijinto).

Maybe no royals (without their weapons, they're not that much more powerful than other characters though).

Only play DLC missions once.  And limit the number of DLC missions you play or only use characters you don't plan on using for the main run.

Male/female only.  Since Fates lets you pick the lord's gender, this challenge is more feasible than in other games.

No forge OR bronze weapons only.

No skills (apart from personal skills, obviously).

Various types of class limitations (e.g. infantry only, all units made into one class [through friendship seal shenanigans; I was able to make a team of 16 Spear masters this way]).

These are the ideas I've had.

Well, In my current run I'm not using legendary weapons. However, The male/female only seems interesting, As does the last one. I'll have to try these out sometime!

4 hours ago, MyLuckyHaiku said:

Well, In my current run I'm not using legendary weapons. However, The male/female only seems interesting, As does the last one. I'll have to try these out sometime!

The male/female idea I got from an LP I saw of Mystery of the Emblem on this site.  It was all females, though not really because Marth was mandatory.  Still, it was interesting to see how the LPer managed to turn just about every unit they used into a valuable commodity.  I think only Midia and some of the clerics were useless.  Actually, now that I think about it, I kind of wanna try an all females run of this game.

For the class limitations one, these resources will help you figure out how to make it feasible.

https://serenesforest.net/fire-emblem-fates/hoshidan-characters/class-sets/

https://serenesforest.net/fire-emblem-fates/hoshidan-classes/class-changing/

https://serenesforest.net/fire-emblem-fates/classes/parallel-classes/

In terms of using Parallel Classes, there are only a few classes which can abuse that; troubadours, outlaws, and apothecaries.  And you do that by having diviners befriending Kaden and Selkie (for apothecaries), Takumi marrying Mozu (also for apothecaries), sky knights befriending Azura (for troubadour), and fighters befriending Keaton (for outlaw).  Most other cases will involve the avatar, which would be irrelevant if you're using just one class for everyone.  You can have a team of, like, ten-or-so troubadours in Birthright through this method (though laughably only one of them will be able to fight for most of the start of the game, and half the money you'd burn would be on healing rods and shurikens).

43 minutes ago, Gannondworf13 said:

I've done a Ninja only run of Birthright, which was fun. 

I bet it was a bunch of debuffs up the ass for them.

God, ninja's such an OP class.  And Kagero's one of the biggest 1-2 range physical nukes in the entire game.  She earned the right to invoke a Fist of the North Star quote in her crits.

Here's a few ideas:

Axes Only: (only classes that wield axes, Heroe, Fighter, Berserker, Wyvern Lord/Malig Knight etc. exception can be made for healers)

Mounts Only: (only mounts and fliers)

Girl Power: (only the girls of the army are used)

Too Many Swords: (only sword wielding classes, merc, heroes, bow knights, dark knights, etc. healers allowed)

No Royals: (not using royals and using Corrin as little as possible)

Guy Gang: (just using guys)

Restricted Classes: (using only select class say 5 differant ones of your choosing)

Genarics: (using Genarics and Enemy bosses)

I have not tried all of these, these are just runs that sprang to mind. Hope it gives you some ideas.

8 hours ago, SavageVolug said:

Axes Only: (only classes that wield axes, Heroe, Fighter, Berserker, Wyvern Lord/Malig Knight etc. exception can be made for healers)

Oh, Boy. That sounds painful (Because of the low hit rate) I'll have to try it out someday

2 minutes ago, MyLuckyHaiku said:

Oh, Boy. That sounds painful (Because of the low hit rate) I'll have to try it out someday

It's not as bad as you might think. Often I found units who weren't Arthur had better hit rates with the same weapon with compareable stats. It certainly has it's drawbacks but not as bad as you might think. The main thing is taking out mages at range and not being able to double.

1 hour ago, SavageVolug said:

It's not as bad as you might think. Often I found units who weren't Arthur had better hit rates with the same weapon with compareable stats. It certainly has it's drawbacks but not as bad as you might think. The main thing is taking out mages at range and not being able to double.

Really? Then again this being Birthright there aren't very many (Natural) Axe/Club users, And I don't really use axes/clubs, So I don't know much about them

Edited by MyLuckyHaiku

2 minutes ago, Arcphoenix said:

Another idea: Second classes only. Basically heartseal everyone as soon as you get the chance using everyone in their alt class

Wouldn't you have to visit someone with a level 3 Rod/Staff shop to get multiple heart seals early?

On 9/12/2018 at 12:26 AM, Arcphoenix said:

Another idea: Second classes only. Basically heartseal everyone as soon as you get the chance using everyone in their alt class

On 9/12/2018 at 12:29 AM, MyLuckyHaiku said:

Wouldn't you have to visit someone with a level 3 Rod/Staff shop to get multiple heart seals early?

Besides that, I'd also think this would need Ghostly Gold in order to not wind up going flat broke.

16 minutes ago, Shadow Mir said:

Besides that, I'd also think this would need Ghostly Gold in order to not wind up going flat broke.

Or you could just sell your soul Or you could immediately buy Profiteer for a couple units and grind free DLC or castle battles

3 hours ago, MyLuckyHaiku said:

Or you could just sell your soul Or you could immediately buy Profiteer for a couple units and grind free DLC or castle battles

That won't work. Profiteer doesn't activate in castle battles, and even if it did, you're still dealing with crappy activation rates, as well as the fact it stops working after seven turns, AND the fact that gold bars sell for chump change on top of that.

1 hour ago, Shadow Mir said:

That won't work. Profiteer doesn't activate in castle battles, and even if it did, you're still dealing with crappy activation rates, as well as the fact it stops working after seven turns, AND the fact that gold bars sell for chump change on top of that.

Hmm, I thought it did. I have 3 units (With luck from 17-18) with Profiteer and I normally get 2-3 Gold bars which would be 600-900 gold per battle on average. And plus you could recruit some high level Midori's with Profiteer for free and have a team of Midori's and grind bottomless canyon.

7 hours ago, MyLuckyHaiku said:

Hmm, I thought it did. I have 3 units (With luck from 17-18) with Profiteer and I normally get 2-3 Gold bars which would be 600-900 gold per battle on average. And plus you could recruit some high level Midori's with Profiteer for free and have a team of Midori's and grind bottomless canyon.

Bold: Assuming you found the right castles, that is. And even with Midori, it's far from a guarantee - at best your odds are slightly better than a coin flip.

The rest: I dunno about you, but I consider that disqualifying by my standards - a good money earning method should not be slow and luck based, both of which Profiteer is. The fact that you have to pay to spawn enemies doesn't help matters.

Edited by Shadow Mir

28 minutes ago, Shadow Mir said:

Bold: Assuming you found the right castles, that is. And even with Midori, it's far from a guarantee - at best your odds are slightly better than a coin flip.

The rest: I dunno about you, but I consider that disqualifying by my standards - a good money earning method should not be slow and luck based, both of which Profiteer is.

Yes, But I'm used to searching for certain characters; I once searched for a cavalier Peri and that took ages, Everyone either had a Paladin Peri or no Peri. 

Standards? What are those  each of my Profiteer units have 17-18 luck as I stated before, Profiteer only works on the first 7 turns. Which means they have quite a few turns to try and proc Profiteer. And early on you get a Goddess Icon, Right? That's some extra luck for your Profiteer unit, Which could very well be your avatar with a Luck boon

2 hours ago, MyLuckyHaiku said:

Yes, But I'm used to searching for certain characters; I once searched for a cavalier Peri and that took ages, Everyone either had a Paladin Peri or no Peri. 

Standards? What are those  each of my Profiteer units have 17-18 luck as I stated before, Profiteer only works on the first 7 turns. Which means they have quite a few turns to try and proc Profiteer. And early on you get a Goddess Icon, Right? That's some extra luck for your Profiteer unit, Which could very well be your avatar with a Luck boon

And that's wasting time that I could spend doing something that is actually constructive in beating the game instead.

Which is only a 1 in 6 chance - needless to say, that's not the stuff I'm okay with relying on when it comes to making money. Especially with the three strikes Profiteer has going against it... And in case you forgot, you also have to pay to spawn enemies.

Edited by Shadow Mir

26 minutes ago, Shadow Mir said:

And that's wasting time that I could spend doing something that is actually constructive in beating the game instead.

Which is only a 1 in 6 chance - needless to say, that's not the stuff I'm okay with relying on when it comes to making money. Especially with the three strikes Profiteer has going against it... And in case you forgot, you also have to pay to spawn enemies.

Well, I like grinding so I take my time in playthroughs 

it doesn't have to be your main source of gold. And no I haven't forgotten, whenever you beat a chapter you get free skirmishes. Plus you could just grind in DLC (Free or otherwise)

I'd just grind Ghostly Gold with units I didn't plan on using.  Every challenge run I do, I select about 16-20 characters to use exclusively in the story and paralogue chapters, while everyone else can be used in skirmishes, DLC, and the like.  For the minimum of that pool, you'd need 32,000 G, or 30,000 if you plan to use the Heart Seal gained in Chapter 13, the last chapter before you stop receiving a steady stream of new units.

Though I try to not do runs where I'd need to do a significant amount of grinding if it's Birthright or Revelation.  And slightly off-topic, I wish there was an option to turn off progression in repeatable non experience grinding DLC like how it is in Conquest.

Finding a castle with a level 3 rod/staff shop shouldn't be much of an issue, tbh.  I barely even have to try to find a castle that's loaded with level 3 buildings and is easy seize.

16 hours ago, MyLuckyHaiku said:

Well, I like grinding so I take my time in playthroughs 

it doesn't have to be your main source of gold. And no I haven't forgotten, whenever you beat a chapter you get free skirmishes. Plus you could just grind in DLC (Free or otherwise)

I don't mind it either, but there's a difference between grinding and trying to find mutiples of a specific character just for the sake of a skill that's worthless at worst, and a dubious use of a skill slot at best.

Then why bother to bring it up in the first place??? Sorry, but if you think Profiteer is a viable solution, you must not know just how expensive this would be... Seal expenses alone would be at least 30 grand, assuming you had elected to use the chapter 13 heart seal (and assuming you were using 16 units). I say, for good measure, I'm ignoring other expenses that you'd have incurred.

5 hours ago, Shadow Mir said:

I don't mind it either, but there's a difference between grinding and trying to find mutiples of a specific character just for the sake of a skill that's worthless at worst, and a dubious use of a skill slot at best.

Then why bother to bring it up in the first place??? Sorry, but if you think Profiteer is a viable solution, you must not know just how expensive this would be... Seal expenses alone would be at least 30 grand, assuming you had elected to use the chapter 13 heart seal (and assuming you were using 16 units). I say, for good measure, I'm ignoring other expenses that you'd have incurred.

I brought it up because I'm tired and can't think. But anyways what I mean is after a while you get tons of gold bars. And I've noticed if you pay for a lower level skirmish and you beat it, You pretty much get enough to do it again. So if you have Profiteer you can get back your spent skirmish money And get extra. And from a day of doing that (And not spending gold on anything but skirmishes) I had around 80.000