Surtr is my favorite Heroes OC, fight me

Jotari

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

To argue against her being pure unsympathetic evil though, we have the Valentia Accordion. While in game, which I feel matters more, there is absolutely no hint of sympathy or alluding to her backstory whatsoever, the canonical artbook has one for her.

According to it, she was once young and pretty and had a boyfriend. Bandits then scarred her face, and her boyfriend dumped her for her younger sister, together they pushed Nuibaba off a cliff. Nearly dying, she survived only by making a pact with some malevolent spirit, afterwards she used the powers of darkness to get revenge, and then settled into a beauty-obsessed evil life.

Since there is zero mention of this backstory in SoV, we may doubt it existed when SoV was being made, since why otherwise leave it out? But we cannot be certain either way.

Even if it is true, it's still backstory, so it's the equivalent to characters saying Garon/Surtr were once good people that got corrupted by something. Albeit, more detailed, but also of ambiguous canonicity.

23 minutes ago, Jotari said:

I don't know. Duma and Mila were defeated by humans with Falchion and they didn't seem to be manaketes.

Actually, it was stated that Duma and Mila's power weakened long before the events of SoV. 

Shows it right here from the timeline in the Valentian Accoridon:

valentia-timeline-1.jpg

This is precisely why Duma and Mila ended up performing a blood pact with Zofia and Rigel, so that they can fight the pirate nation that was forming. It's ultimately how Rigel has Falchion, and Celica having Ragnarok Ω. 

So even the Duma that Alm and Celica fought, and the Mila that Rudolf fought, neither were actually at full power any longer. 

In fact, when Duma and Mila fought against Naga, the battle only lasted 9 days, but they nearly split the entire planet in two. 

On 9/8/2018 at 9:36 AM, Etrurian emperor said:

Surtr has more in common with Garon than he does with most other FE villains but I don't think that needs to be a problem. Surtr is the exact type of obviously evil tyrant as Garon is but he also doesn't make the same mistakes as Garon. No one in the game tries to tell us that Surtr is a great guy and the game doesn't try to depict Muspleheim as a valid kingdom despite its ruler being irredeemable evil. Instead Muspleheim is just an enemy kingdom and Surtr isn't expected to be viewed as anything other than irredeemable evil, and I think that saves him. 

Well, putting it that way, I guess that kinda saves him. Also, no one can deny the designs the designs of the legendary OCs are great, that introduces their elements in a visually appealing and sensible way, Surtr is no exception. However, he did overstayed his welcome, as many already said

But what about book lll what will they do then a war between shifter kingdoms I agree Sutr was really annoying and way better than Garon but just imagine what wil the main villain for lll be like will it be male or female but sutr could not be any worse  

1 hour ago, AzuraxCorrin(M)4Life said:

But what about book lll what will they do then a war between shifter kingdoms I agree Sutr was really annoying and way better than Garon but just imagine what wil the main villain for lll be like will it be male or female but sutr could not be any worse  

56 minutes ago, AzuraxCorrin(M)4Life said:

But what about the god dragon Alfonse mentioned what are they supposed to do how powerful will they be

Please use some punctuations. It is really hard to understand you.

I do not see how the gender of the next villain has anything to do with Surtr being better or worse.

I assume their god dragon will be a deus ex machina and do whatever the plot requires it to do.

Edited by XRay

21 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Battle.jpg

DUDE WHAT THE HECK WHY IS HE SO BUFF

Incidentally, can we get more clothing ads like this in reality? Most clothing ads I see nowadays are people looking like Minerva in the back there(great job helping, by the way, Minerva), and that doesn't really give you a good idea how well the clothes fit. A couple poses like Caeda's or Ogma's or even Random Soldier #6(the one just to Ogma's right who looks like he's trying to be Thanos) would be great for variety's sake.

1 hour ago, SoulWeaver said:

DUDE WHAT THE HECK WHY IS HE SO BUFF

Good question!

And unlike Chrom, Marth isn't so insecure that he that has to go totally sleeveless with one arm, he shows what he practically has to show. If you notice, well good for you, if not, well Marth doesn't care about such vain things.

I think Marth could use a bit more muscle mass in his future designs, it'd make him a little less soft, whilst still not being RD Ike, nor even Ephraim.

You know, you're actually making me think the artwork of FE11 wasn't so bad after all. I've heard people criticize it more than praise it.

Apparently, FE11 had two artists- Masamune Shirow and Daisuke Izuka. I think Shirow did this piece of artwork and that of several official artworks: Marth, Caeda, Tiki, Camus, Linde, Minerva, Ogma, Nyna, Navarre, and Merric. The rest of the artwork, as well as portraits, and CG was probably done by Daisuke Izuka, given Izuka returned to FE12 when Shirow didn't, and that FE12's artwork looks much more like Gharnef, the Gaiden chapter characters, the portraits and the CGs.

Shirow is probably the person who got the flak for FE11's aesthetics. Although I agree his faces look penciled in and flat, everything else looks fine to me. Fix the faces he'd be great, the colors really stand out in good way for some reason. Although he apparently has some fame for illustrating the Ghost in the Shell manga it seems, so I dunno if that makes him too expensive for IS to rehire.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

15 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Good question!

And unlike Chrom, Marth isn't so insecure that he that has to go totally sleeveless with one arm, he shows what he practically has to show. If you notice, well good for you, if not, well Marth doesn't care about such vain things.

I think Marth could use a bit more muscle mass in his future designs, it'd make him a little less soft, whilst not still being RD Ike, nor even Ephraim.

Marth isn't the type that enjoys fighting or makes a living off of it, so he wouldn't get the kind of buff that Chrom or Ike has. I assume that Ephraim is buff underneath that armor. 

But he definitely trains hard for the sake of being able to lead others into battle. And given how Marth is so modest that he never views himself as strong, it would always be a way of pushing him to want to train more so that he can get stronger to support his allies. 

1 hour ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I think Marth could use a bit more muscle mass in his future designs, it'd make him a little less soft, whilst still not being RD Ike, nor even Ephraim.

Pantsless buff Marth confirmed?!

1 hour ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

You know, you're actually making me think the artwork of FE11 wasn't so bad after all. I've heard people criticize it more than praise it.

Same, I don't really get why it gets so much hate - SD's where I first decided Palla was a babe, I already liked her design before Heroes made me love her voice.

5 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Good question!

Apparently, FE11 had two artists- Masamune Shirow and Daisuke Izuka. I think Shirow did this piece of artwork and that of several official artworks: Marth, Caeda, Tiki, Camus, Linde, Minerva, Ogma, Nyna, Navarre, and Merric. The rest of the artwork, as well as portraits, and CG was probably done by Daisuke Izuka, given Izuka returned to FE12 when Shirow didn't, and that FE12's artwork looks much more like Gharnef, the Gaiden chapter characters, the portraits and the CGs.

Shirow is probably the person who got the flak for FE11's aesthetics. Although I agree his faces look penciled in and flat, everything else looks fine to me. Fix the faces he'd be great, the colors really stand out in good way for some reason. Although he apparently has some fame for illustrating the Ghost in the Shell manga it seems, so I dunno if that makes him too expensive for IS to rehire.

Yeah, but Izuka was responsible for the whole blood pact mess. His later career as an artist doesn't change that fact. XD

@Interdimensional Observer For me, it really did come down to the faces. They all just looked awkward. Camus is prbabbly the one that stands out to me most, but basically how it breaks down is I love the outfit and body art, but the face just looks janky. Still, not sure anything tops SoV's art for me. That stuff is gorgeous.

Did the story ever mention Surtr being different before, or was he always a huge douche bag?

I do not recall Laegjarn or Laevatein mention anything about spending quality daddy time, so I think there is a high possibility that he was always a jerk. I feel bad for their mother though, and since they do not mention her, she probably got the Gunnthrá treatment already.

20 hours ago, omegaxis1 said:

Marth isn't the type that enjoys fighting or makes a living off of it, so he wouldn't get the kind of buff that Chrom or Ike has. I assume that Ephraim is buff underneath that armor. 

But he definitely trains hard for the sake of being able to lead others into battle. And given how Marth is so modest that he never views himself as strong, it would always be a way of pushing him to want to train more so that he can get stronger to support his allies. 

AHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA

Thats literally a plot point in Shadow Dragon, and honestly i like SD Marth so much i would take that as canon for him so yeah

Edited by JSND Alter Dragon Boner

1 hour ago, XRay said:

I do not recall Laegjarn or Laevatein mention anything about spending quality daddy time, so I think there is a high possibility that he was always a jerk. I feel bad for their mother though, and since they do not mention her, she probably got the Gunnthrá treatment already.

I'm pretty sure this is the case, which is frankly a bit of a refresher after all these "sympathetic" villains. Surtr isn't particularly well executed, but there's something immensely satisfying about a hatable enemy, hence why I like Ashnard so much. He's so hatable, but he also makes an uncomfortable amount of sense, even if he executed it in the most psychotic manner.

Spoiler

A satisfying end to Surtur, with Fjormshittalking the asshole.

And we can all be happy that Surtur was never revealed to have been a good person back then. 

Poor Helbindi and Laegjarn. The latter especially, since she literally burned herself alive. She even said that her eyes were burned away.

Edited by omegaxis1

13 minutes ago, omegaxis1 said:

A satisfying end to Surtur, with Fjorm shittalking the asshole.

And we can all be happy that Surtur was never revealed to have been a good person back then. 

Poor Helbindi and Laegjarn. The latter especially, since she literally burned herself alive. She even said that her eyes were burned away.

Look, I know people probably don't care about spoilers, but maybe just spoiler tab it just in case?

Edited by Zangetsu

Glorious end to sutr but kinda feel bad for laegjarn,helbindi, and fjorm laegjarn who was burned alive. Helbindi who realized what he had to do To repay his sins. And fjorm who will die that is really sad I felt like she was a good character who could have been fleshed out even more than they did in the game.