How To Pick Up Chicks. A Guide

you don't, they come to you

How To Pick Up Chicks edit.jpg

anyways this is one of my chickens I got earlier this summer, she's almost full grown and about a 2-3 months away from beginning to lay. She still does this when ever I come into the coop

I really haven't named her yet, I haven't found a fitting name for her

she's a Rhode Island Red if your curious

Edited by Captain Karnage

8 hours ago, Captain Karnage said:

you don't, they come to you

How To Pick Up Chicks edit.jpg

anyways this is one of my chickens I got earlier this summer, she's almost full grown and about a 2-3 months away from beginning to lay. She still does this when ever I come into the coop

she's a Rhode Island Red if your curious

No name?  That won't do.  Name her Feh.

9 minutes ago, Rezzy said:

I second this!

I could never have chickens or pigs or cows, then I'd feel guilty for eating chicken or pork or beef lol.

6 hours ago, DisobeyedCargo said:

Oh my god I love her!

in Bio we got to take care of baby chicks and at the end of the project I got to take mine home!

In 4th grade we hatched chicks but didn't get to take them home. Some kids were rough with them and broke their legs :( There was a yellow one that would always bully a black one, and sometimes the black one would fight back, so one boy made a tally mark sheet:

"Yellow being mean"

"Black fighting back"

And then he'd tally how many times each of those things happened.

My aunt is scared of chickens because my uncles used to chase her with roosters lol. She's fine with fluffy baby chicks, but when they start growing their adult feathers she's like "lol nope".

Edited by Dragoncat

On 9/8/2018 at 10:04 PM, Captain Karnage said:

Do you eat them? If you do, does naming them make it harder to eat them? If you do not eat them, what happens when they grow old? Do they have any toys or other forms of enrichment?

I remember reading about having chickens as house pets, but they poop everywhere, so you will need to make a chicken diaper for the chicken. Do you want to have a chicken as a house pet? Would you mind sleeping with a chicken on your bed?

Personally, I am not sure if I want a chicken as a house pet since it seems kind of a hassle to change the diaper everyday. I would not mind sleeping with chickens or any animals though. I sleep with my cat and I like touching and snorting her fur.

Edited by XRay

6 hours ago, XRay said:

Do you eat them? If you do, does naming them make it harder to eat them? If you do not eat them, what happens when they grow old? Do they have any toys or other forms of enrichment?

I remember reading about having chickens as house pets, but they poop everywhere, so you will need to make a chicken diaper for the chicken. Do you want to have a chicken as a house pet? Would you mind sleeping with a chicken on your bed?

Personally, I am not sure if I want a chicken as a house pet since it seems kind of a hassle to change the diaper everyday. I would not mind sleeping with chickens or any animals though. I sleep with my cat and I like touching and snorting her fur.

No, I have no intention of raising them for meat. Naming any animal will make it much harder to eat, giving a name to an animal shows that you care enough for it

As often as I've cleaned out the coop I never want them in my house, it's one of the worst smells on earth. They're okay pets for the outside

On 9/9/2018 at 8:34 AM, Rezzy said:

Guess that's her name now