What popular franchises do you dislike?

Fabulously Olivier

8 hours ago, 1% Critical Hit said:

There's a lot of rumors going on and these mostly say that someone from Persona was in charge of the art.

I'd rather have someone from Heroes too, I dunno how to explain it, but the art style that they chose for this FE doesn't feels... Right...

I totally agree with your sentiment. It doesn't feel... very FE to me. It'll take me some time to get used to. Plus, I'll need to see more characters before I write it off. I know FE's art has always used styles that were popular at the time, and I know Persona's style is popular atm, but it seems to similar.

I do think the artist is Chinatsu Kurahana though. Not Shigenori Soejima (Persona). There's subtle differences in Persona's eyes and how she usually does eyes. Here are some examples:

Spoiler

Soejima: latest?cb=20170202215956

Chinatsu:tumblr_p4rw6wNzg41sfhbpeo5_400.png

3H:fe163_thumb.png

The key differences are the eyes, hair, nose and color palette. Soejima's eyes tend to have the bottom half of the eye slightly lighter than the top half. Meanwhile Chinatsu's eyes often have a darker circle around the iris, with a faded circle around that circle. Soejima's eyelashes tend to be sharper and defined, meanwhile Chinatsu's are softer. For hair, Soejima uses thick, sharp lines to give it some volume as well as movement. Meanwhile Chinatsu gives it thinner lines, which softens it. For noses, Soejima does a conventional small anime nose; he gives it some shape for side shots, but it's still small. Chinatsu's noses are also small, but more noticeable. Lastly, Soejima uses a saturated color palette more often while Chinatsu uses a more faded one. Edelgard looks more like Chinatsu's work to me instead of Soejima's but that's just my opinion on the matter.

Now, back to the topic at hand:

• Overwatch- I don't completely hate it, but I felt slightly misled. The trailers made it seem like it would have this huge story and such, but it's just a multiplayer shooter. I'm not into multiplayer shooters usually, although I have enjoyed it them in the past. However, the fandom seems too toxic for me to get into. No offense, but it seems intimidating to join in and have people judge for what you pick. I feel bad for all of the Mercy and Symmetra mains.
  • Undertale- I mean, this is another example of the fandom ruining it for me, as I believe the game by itself can be somewhat enjoyable. But, I had a hard time connecting to the characters. I didn't really find them charming as much as other people seemed to think them as.
  • Any EA Sports Game- I mean, I may be sounding hypocritical as I'm a fan of the Dynasty Warriors series, but these games seem like the same game but just slightly nicer graphics. Sometimes the graphics didn't improve, but it's just the new year's version. At least Dynasty Warriors stages and characters redesigned- in sports games, the uniforms are pretty much the same and the levels are all the same, but with a new recolor. I don't hate sports games, but EA sports games usually don't have the charm and style that I look for in a sports game. 

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Call of Duty - This is a franchise I used to have a fun time with back in the day, but the single player has not grown with the times at all.  Honestly just boils down to the fact that I don't play the multiplayer which is the only part of the franchise that Activision seems to care about anymore.  In fact I'm actually glad to see Black Ops 4 doesn't have a single player campaign because it seems to be Activision's way of just saying that they gave up on trying to write a compelling story to their campaigns or develop interesting single player levels a long time ago.

"Souls Games" - Aggravation and tedium without an engaging in-game story to make me want to trudge forward does not make a fun game for me.  It apparently does for millions of others though.

Madden, FIFA, 2K, etc. - I'm physically fit enough to go outside and play a sports game if I really wanted to play one, thus I just don't see the point in me personally playing these games.

Mario Party - Somehow, some way, this part of the franchise just continues to speak to people.  I had fun with the older ones but I haven't seen them do anything huge as of late and I don't exactly have any local multiplayer pals.  

Splatoon - Haven't even played either game but as far as I can see they're basically Nintendo's version of Call of Duty (in that if you aren't playing the multiplayer you didn't buy much for $60.)

I'd include World of Warcraft or MMOs in general but I guess I have to avoid adding just singular games.  Speaking of which, do games like PUBG, Overwatch, and Fortnite really count as franchises seeing as they don't have any sequels?  I'd add them but I'm not sure if I can really say they qualify for the answer.

On 9/21/2018 at 7:54 PM, Emperor_Siegfried said:

I'd include World of Warcraft or MMOs in general but I guess I have to avoid adding just singular games.  Speaking of which, do games like PUBG, Overwatch, and Fortnite really count as franchises seeing as they don't have any sequels?  I'd add them but I'm not sure if I can really say they qualify for the answer.

I think you should be ok on everything except MMOs in general, we had a mod warn us not to go flinging Genres around or she'd close the Topic.

Also @Armagon I didn't know that due to not owning the system for either game, thanks for the info, I'm glad to know it actually does something.