What popular franchises do you dislike?

Fabulously Olivier

Everyone has their personal unpopular gaming opinions. Whether it is unpopular series that are guilty pleasures or popular series that one personally doesn't get the appeal of, tastes are always going to differ. This thread is about the latter. Which well-received game franchises never clicked with you?

Embrace your inner contrarian, but keep it civil.

Mine:

Xenoblade Chronicles

I've made two attempts to like the Xenoblade franchise thus far (X and 2) and it just never resonated with me. While I understand that as a JRPG, story comes front and center, getting to that story has made itself a real chore to me for one simple reason. Xenoblade has the most dull, lifeless combat system I have ever experienced in a video game (and I'm including the Witcher 1 in that). In my opinion, it takes all of the bad parts of both turn-based and real-time combat with none of the positive qualities of either.

Maybe I'll give XC2 another chance later down the line. Maybe it gets significantly more fun to play later on. At the moment, if I want a JRPG, I'll play Persona instead; it's a perfection of turn-based combat with a much better Pokemon-like system, much more inherent replayability, better music, and an arguably better cast of characters. 

The Elder Scrolls

The appeal of an open world full of interesting side quests cannot be overstated. However, in my opinion, first person perspective kills RPGs. To even include it as an option means that action combat (ie: DMC, Kingdoms of Amalur, or even the Witcher 3) cannot be in the game as it will make first person players physically ill. It also prevents the depth of a more strategic combat system like Dragon Age or Divinity Original Sin, as first person perspective limits the player's ability to gain tactical information. 

Also, the skill trees in Elder Scrolls are not compelling. I want to make choices. I want incentive to roll new characters and specialize. I don't want full access to every skill tree on a single character and I don't want cookie cutter upgrades. 

I'll just play the Witcher 3 instead. It has a beautiful world, an excellent OST, better side quests, better romances, much better characters, handles morally grey wars better, has several distinct skill trees that force choices, and has multiple endings. Also, I'm of the apparently rare opinion that The Witcher 3 has fun combat; it's weighty, impactful, pseudo-realistic, dodge-focused, and Geralt has just enough versatility to make combat flexible.

Edited by Etheus

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

mine is: Call of Duty every time I babysit this is what the boys I take care of play and they play it badly and then go on and on about how great the game is.  I am fine with shooters, but the sameness of every Call of Duty gets to me because they all look like the same game to me.  Let's just say I was happy to see them playing GTA last time I babysat just for something new even though they still play badly at least they can do more random silly stuff in GTA and it was easier to watch.

Kingdom Hearts

Oh boy, what a mess this series is. Ok, let's get the good part out of the way first: gameplay's fun and traversing Disney worlds is fun. Kingdom Hearts III looks beautiful. The rest though? Ooof. The story is one giant hot mess because Nomura absolutely did not plan this out. Like, i get that he didn't forsee it's massive popularity but that's no excuse to tell this disaster of a story and i think that's most evident in the timeline. I have never seen such a massive disconnect between the release and chronological order of a series.  The characters are dumb, and i don't mean that in an intelligence sense, i mean in like, a general sense. They feel like rejected Final Fantasy characters taken out of DeviantArt. And then all of the terms that the games won't shut up about because everything that comes out of the characters' mouths is plot. Oh and what are these titles? Birth by Sleep? 358/2 Days? Dream Drop Distance? 2.8 Final Chapter Prolouge? Why are the titles so dumb?

But i can understand why people like it. I'm sure the main appeal is Disney and besides that, most fans grew up with the series so they have a lot of nostalgia for it. But i never got that privelege so i can't find any appeal in Kingdom Hearts.

Animal Crossing

I get that it's supposed to be a chill game, meant to relax you. But Jesus Christ, even considering that, it's boring as hell. It also doesn't help that the games punish you if you don't play a certain amount of days. I'd rather play Harvest Moon/Rune Factory.

Tales

This one, i don't neccisarly dislike as a whole, i just dislike the gameplay, but i dislike it enough to have prevented me from playing more of the games. The characters and music are cool but the gameplay feels like a watered down Xenoblade to me. It's different enough, i will say that, but whenever i played the games, i couldn't help but feel "man, this is like, Xenoblade lite". I only actually had fun with Zestiria's gameplay and i only played that for an hour or so because it was at a friend's house. And i understand that Zestiria isn't that well liked. My main issue is that the older games are locked to the 2D plane. Abyss did let you freeroam by holding down a button but you couldn't actually attack during that. And as such, being locked to the 2D plane makes the combat feel very restrictive and simple. I could usually get away with just holding right or left and mashing the attack button. I also have to dock points from Phantasia. I played the PS1 version and i get that it's the first game in the series but i could not stand how, whenever someone uses magic, everything would freeze except the magic animation and you would have to wait for it to finish. Every time.  If you're fighting a bunch of magic users in that game, it becomes hell. This should not happen in an action RPG. I'll give the series one last shot with the Vesperia Definitive Edition that comes out next year. But if the gameplay can't get me hooked, then i'm done.

Edited by Armagon

• Assassin's Creed: Each game it's more of the same, I find the series homogenized open-world games for the last couple years.
  • Borderlands: I played the first and second, but more and more into the series I find the writing to be annoying, with low quality jokes everywhere. that  thinks it's "witty".
  • Dragon Age: I never found it to be interesting, only as a generic western fantasy game.
  • Halo post Bungie: I felt the franchise to be weaker after Reach. With massive retcons to the lore, and trying to be like other shooters, when it's not.

Pokémon
Technically Pikachu's existence made me hate this series, not in terms of gameplay - I like the RPG gameplay - but in terms of representation this series. I always considered Pikachu is an overrepresented annoying little piece of shit, one of the most annyoing things in videogames for me. I always waited for the moment Team Rocket got this thing made barbecue of it.
I played X + Y a bit, and I didn't find them bad from gameplay perspective, but I can't identify with these creatures. I don't even find most Pokémon somewhat adorable. Maybe two or three like Fennekin or Glaceon could touch my heart a little bit.

35 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Kingdom Hearts

Oh boy, what a mess this series is. Ok, let's get the good part out of the way first: gameplay's fun and traversing Disney worlds is fun. Kingdom Hearts III looks beautiful. The rest though? Ooof. The story is one giant hot mess because Nomura absolutely did not plan this out. Like, i get that he didn't forsee it's massive popularity but that's no excuse to tell this disaster of a story and i think that's most evident in the timeline. I have never seen such a massive disconnect between the release and chronological order of a series.  The characters are dumb, and i don't mean that in an intelligence sense, i mean in like, a general sense. They feel like rejected Final Fantasy characters taken out of DeviantArt. And then all of the terms that the games won't shut up about because everything that comes out of the characters' mouths is plot. Oh and what are these titles? Birth by Sleep? 358/2 Days? Dream Drop Distance? 2.8 Final Chapter Prolouge? Why are the titles so dumb?

But i can understand why people like it. I'm sure the main appeal is Disney and besides that, most fans grew up with the series so they have a lot of nostalgia for it. But i never got that privelege so i can't find any appeal in Kingdom Hearts.

Partially agree. I really enjoyed Kingdom Hearts 2. I did not enjoy the open-ended "how was I supposed to know to do that" level design of Kingdom Hearts 1. The spin offs cannot compare to the main entries. The story is incomprehensible gibberish. And I would add that the gummy ship sections should actually go die.

Animal Crossing

I get that it's supposed to be a chill game, meant to relax you. But Jesus Christ, even considering that, it's boring as hell. It also doesn't help that the games punish you if you don't play a certain amount of days. I'd rather play Harvest Moon/Rune Factory.

Agree completely. I do not get the appeal of Animal Crossing at all. My least favorite Nintendo franchise, bar none. I just didn't bring it up because I have not played enough to make any real critique (and I don't want to be burned at the stake.)

Tales

This one, i don't neccisarly dislike as a whole, i just dislike the gameplay, but i dislike it enough to have prevented me from playing more of the games. The characters and music are cool but the gameplay feels like a watered down Xenoblade to me. It's different enough, i will say that, but whenever i played the games, i couldn't help but feel "man, this is like, Xenoblade lite". I only actually had fun with Zestiria's gameplay and i only played that for an hour or so because it was at a friend's house. And i understand that Zestiria isn't that well liked. My main issue is that the older games are locked to the 2D plane. Abyss did let you freeroam by holding down a button but you couldn't actually attack during that. And as such, being locked to the 2D plane makes the combat feel very restrictive and simple. I could usually get away with just holding right or left and mashing the attack button. I also have to dock points from Phantasia. I played the PS1 version and i get that it's the first game in the series but i could not stand how, whenever someone uses magic, everything would freeze except the magic animation and you would have to wait for it to finish. Every time.  If you're fighting a bunch of magic users in that game, it becomes hell. This should not happen in an action RPG. I'll give the series one last shot with the Vesperia Definitive Edition that comes out next year. But if the gameplay can't get me hooked, then i'm done.

Tales is a highly inconsistent franchise. IMO, Vesperia is the best entry, Abyss would be the second best (if not for its absurd loading times, wtf), Berseria is third, and Symphonia is a great, but overrated fourth. The rest range from mediocre (pretty much everything else post-Abyss) to actually terrible (Zestiria and everything pre-Abyss.

1 hour ago, Etheus said:

Everyone has their personal unpopular gaming opinions. Whether it is unpopular series that are guilty pleasures or popular series that one personally doesn't get the appeal of, tastes are always going to differ. This thread is about the latter. Which well-received game franchises never clicked with you?

Embrace your inner contrarian, but keep it civil.

Mine:

Xenoblade Chronicles

I've made two attempts to like the Xenoblade franchise thus far (X and 2) and it just never resonated with me. While I understand that as a JRPG, story comes front and center, getting to that story has made itself a real chore to me for one simple reason. Xenoblade has the most dull, lifeless combat system I have ever experienced in a video game (and I'm including the Witcher 1 in that). In my opinion, it takes all of the bad parts of both turn-based and real-time combat with none of the positive qualities of either.

Maybe I'll give XC2 another chance later down the line. Maybe it gets significantly more fun to play later on. At the moment, if I want a JRPG, I'll play Persona instead; it's a perfection of turn-based combat with a much better Pokemon-like system, much more inherent replayability, better music, and an arguably better cast of characters. 

The Elder Scrolls

The appeal of an open world full of interesting side quests cannot be overstated. However, in my opinion, first person perspective kills RPGs. To even include it as an option means that action combat (ie: DMC, Kingdoms of Amalur, or even the Witcher 3) cannot be in the game as it will make first person players physically ill. It also prevents the depth of a more strategic combat system like Dragon Age or Divinity Original Sin, as first person perspective limits the player's ability to gain tactical information. 

Also, the skill trees in Elder Scrolls are not compelling. I want to make choices. I want incentive to roll new characters and specialize. I don't want full access to every skill tree on a single character and I don't want cookie cutter upgrades. 

I'll just play the Witcher 3 instead. It has a beautiful world, an excellent OST, better side quests, better romances, much better characters, handles morally grey wars better, has several distinct skill trees that force choices, and has multiple endings. Also, I'm of the apparently rare opinion that The Witcher 3 has fun combat; it's weighty, impactful, pseudo-realistic, dodge-focused, and Geralt has just enough versatility to make combat flexible.

I agree with both of those games and id also add Final Fantasy except 15 cause i actually liked that one mostly because it wasnt like the rest of the series. obviously there are more but thats the first to come to mind.

i really like Ni No Kuni and if you havent played that give it a try. Revenant Kingdom is so far the best game ive played this year, so much content, first playthrough was 90+ hours.

27 minutes ago, Zihark11 said:

I agree with both of those games and id also add Final Fantasy except 15 cause i actually liked that one mostly because it wasnt like the rest of the series. obviously there are more but thats the first to come to mind.

i really like Ni No Kuni and if you havent played that give it a try. Revenant Kingdom is so far the best game ive played this year, so much content, first playthrough was 90+ hours.

I was ambivalent on FF15. I liked it. I thought it was one of the most relaxing, heart-warming games I've ever played. But the combat is basically a watered down Kingdom Hearts, and the story needed more time in the oven. I thought that this was the one time in gaming history when the movie was better than the game.

I'll make a note to try Ni No Kuni 2. I fell out of love with Pokemon with the (IMO) bad 4th generation and never enjoyed it again, so I basically skipped Ni No Kuni 1 for its similarities.

Overwatch - MOBA shooter. Two types of game styles I find repetitive and boring. Mix them together, still the same experience

Witcher - Not my cup of tea. Also, the story is... odd is how I'd describe it

Pokemon - It died a long time ago. They're just trying to recreate the sales they got from the first games

Minecraft - I don't know how this got so popular

Fortnite - The battle royale concept is charming, but very discouraging towards newer players

Smash Bros - Don't dislike it, but I do think it's overhyped

God of War - More specifically the newest one. I think people are overlooking it's flaws and try to sell it off as this perfect game, but it's not

@Etheus The first Xenoblade is the best one out of the three. I do think the newer ones have their own charm, but I still think the first is the most enjoyable one out of the bunch. The story is quite great, I'd avoid spoilers as they can ruin the game, and the music is enjoyable. The game has a rather unique aspects to it's combat system

12 minutes ago, silveraura25 said:

Overwatch - MOBA shooter. Two types of game styles I find repetitive and boring. Mix them together, still the same experience

Witcher - Not my cup of tea. Also, the story is... odd is how I'd describe it

Pokemon - It died a long time ago. They're just trying to recreate the sales they got from the first games

Minecraft - I don't know how this got so popular

Fortnite - The battle royale concept is charming, but very discouraging towards newer players

Smash Bros - Don't dislike it, but I do think it's overhyped

God of War - More specifically the newest one. I think people are overlooking it's flaws and try to sell it off as this perfect game, but it's not

@Etheus The first Xenoblade is the best one out of the three. I do think the newer ones have their own charm, but I still think the first is the most enjoyable one out of the bunch. The story is quite great, I'd avoid spoilers as they can ruin the game, and the music is enjoyable. The game has a rather unique aspects to it's combat system

They need to remake the first game then. It's far too rare and costly to pursue just to give the series its best third impression.

As for God of War, I loved MOST of it. However, after beating the wonderful story campaign, I quit playing after beating the Valkyries. The advanced-level Muspellheim trials are really poorly designed and they are required to max certain gear sets. Kill 30 enemies including an Ice Ancient without getting hit even once? Yeah, no thanks, I'll pass. I would have actually loved the game more if it had no post-game content and simply gave you the best gear throughout the story and Midgard sidequests 

Edited by Etheus

6 minutes ago, Etheus said:

They need to remake the first game then. It's far too rare and costly to pursue just to give the series its best third impression.

As for God of War, I loved MOST of it. However, after beating the wonderful story campaign, I quit playing after beating the Valkyries. The advanced-level Muspellheim trials are really poorly designed and they are required to max certain gear sets. Kill 30 enemies including an Ice Ancient without getting hit even once? Yeah, no thanks, I'll pass. 

The first is available to play on new3DS. Not 3DS, new 3DS. The package also lists it as a new 3DS game

Edited by silveraura25

3 minutes ago, silveraura25 said:

The first is available to play on new3DS. Not 3DS, new 3DS. The package also lists it as a new 3DS game

That's also unfortunate. I don't own a New 3DS, just a regular one. Not a great investment for a handful of games, 2 of which (Hyrule/FE Warriors) I own on Switch. 

31 minutes ago, Von Ithipathachai said:

While I don't particularly dislike Persona, I'm apprehensive about trying Persona 3-5 because the whole high school simulator aspect sounds very unappealing to me.

I was also concerned about the high school simulation aspect. But it's seriously not cringy like highschool animes tend to be. School days generally just skip class time, unless there is story dialogue. You'll also get an occassional single-question pop quiz to raise your intelligence social stat.

Aside from that, you get to choose your jobs. You get to choose which friends to bond with and gain combat and non-combat boosts for it. Dating is optional, as high end bonds can be romantic or platonic at your choice. There is so much variety and spontaneity in Persona's life simulator mechanics which really helps add unexpected twists to what could otherwise be an excellent but linear, predictable turn-based JRPG.

I recommend watching a little bit of let's play content to get a feel for the life sim half of the game.

Edited by Etheus

Oh boy, I've got quite a few...

I'll echo Xenoblade Chronicles.

As a huge Xenogears fan(Meaning I'll put up with a lot of shit when it comes to gameplay), I just can't get past the gameplay. The original game broke me at the end game, and everything I've heard about the franchise since has just pushed me more and more away.

I'll also say Uncharted and toss in The Last of Us for good measure. I actually really enjoy the first two Uncharted games, but the more these Naughty Dog games take control away form the player, the less I enjoy the games, which has been more and more frequent since Uncharted 2. It really lost its charm, and it got to the point where I saw little difference in playing their games vs. watching someone else play them. They're solid third person shooters, but there are better/more interesting ones out there that I'd rather spend time with.

With its recent revival's success, God of War is another Sony-exclusive series that I just can't get behind. The original games were sup-bar action games with cool cinematics and set-pieces. These are not my priorities with these kinds of games. Though admittedly, I'll say God of War 2 is very solid, and it hits all the right marks I'd want out of a GoW game. It's the most fully-fleshed out when it comes to typical action game mechanics, it leans into the idea that Kratos is an irredeemable piece of shit that is just a vehicle for insane violence(Which he is), and there are a ton of fun bosses that are more than just shallow spectacles that can really only be enjoyed once. 3 pretty much shits all over 2 by immediately getting rid of all of the stuff Kratos got in 2 that actually made the series a competent action franchise, and the series has lost me ever since. The reboot is fine and all that, but it's one of those "everything games" that just stretches itself way too thin and just makes me want to play the games it's clearly inspired by instead.

And though the franchise is dead and its developers went under, Dead Space was one of my white whales of last gen. It aggravated me every time everyone called it "survival horror", as shooting was the only way to deal with problems I'd say... 90% of the time. And Isaac's pretty overpowered is even without guns. Often you got locked into a room until you killed everything, which, to me, is antithetical to a "survival" game. So what I was left with was a deliberate, slow, atmospheric action shooter. Which I don't normally have a problem with. I love the Bioshock games and stuff like that, but the horror element just made the whole thing feel... amateur, despite a clear level of polish given to the overall presentation of the game. Some of the silliest monster closets and kinda goofy designs all over the place. You could pretty much tell when a Necromorph was gonna pop up. And then the weapon variety of these games... The way weapons were handled alone would have been enough for me to go "Yeah, this is a pretty bad action game, too". You can beat the game pretty handily with just the Plasma Cutter, and in fact, it's much easier to do so, since limiting yourself to one weapon and upgrading it is a really easy way to ensure that you never run out of ammo. Whoever decided the drop rates of weapons based on whether or not they're in your inventory did a bad job. A game like Resident Evil 4 will still give you plenty of ammo for guns you aren't using, incentivizing you to try more out, and ensuring you just don't have a mass stockpile of ammo for your best weapons. Dead Space? Nah. You'll rarely get any ammo(I think you might even only get ammo for guns you have) for anything you're not using. You can limit yourself to a single gun, focus on upgrading it, and blow through the game.

And this is just the first Dead Space. The second one fixes none of the core problems I had, and doubles down on several. Monster closets get way sillier, the "You have to fight your way out" rooms become more prevalent, the monster designs become even more try-hard, and it stopped being slow and deliberate. It was just a poorly lit action game. I didn't even bother with the third game.

EDIT: Oh, yeah. Kingdom Hearts. I don't even want to go into my problems with that series. There's nothing more that really needs to be said about it.

Edited by Slumber

2 hours ago, Armagon said:

Kingdom Hearts

Hey, don't diss Days, it gave us Xion. Incidentally, I recall reading somewhere that Nomura said in an interview that basically his whole plan for the series was 'see what the fans are expecting, then plot twist it, then plot twist that.' so that would be the explanation for the story.
Apart from Pirates and Nightmare Before Christmas, I've actually not really liked the Disney aspect of the series(Someone get Zeus to throw a couple thousand thunderbolts from Olympus Coliseum so the entirety of Atlantica is lost to electrolysis, please), it's more the crossover concept that intrigued me. I also started with Days and still liked the whole thing, though, so according to your average KH fan I'm actually certifiably insane, so take my opinion with a grain of salt I suppose.

I will, however, echo your sentiments on Animal Crossing. I just don't understand it at all.

Xenoblade Chronicles - yeah, the only one I played was 1, and I thought it was rather mediocre. The questing system just got me bored halfway through (offline MMO style is not... good) and the only saving grace is that some of the characters are good like Dunban.

Any Falcom Game - The only one I really enjoyed was Ys Chronicles funnily enough (though I would never say bumper cars combat is good), but considering how much people can like these games I never got into the Legend of Heroes/Trails series.

I struggle to find interest in mainline Nintendo franchises now (Pokemon, Zelda, Smash, etc.)

Edited by Edgelord

Honestly, I just don't get the appeal of First person shooters like call of duty. Seems to me like it's really just the same thing over and over again and I'm surprised it doesn't get stale for other people after like 3 games.

Most open world games-Not really a series, but I'm not a big fan of open world games. I like linearity in my games and open world games are just too much for me. It's one of the reasons why FFX and XIII are my favourites because they are the most linear and why I couldn't be bothered to play Breath of the Wild past the Great Plateau.

Zelda-I really love Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask but past them, I really can't get into the series. I haven't tried any of the handheld games (Except A Link Between Worlds which was okay) and none of them interest me from what I see of them, TP looses me after the first three dungeons, WW was decent but I wasn't a big fan of the sailing so I don't like replaying it, SS is okay, but the motion controls kill it and as I said, I'm not a fan of the open world in Breath of the Wild and I can't get into it after the Great Plateau.

Pokemon-Pokemon has really just died for me. Gen 6 and 7 were huge let downs after Gen 5, I was interested in LGP&E but now I'm just not and I have no excitement for whatever Gen 8 might bring. I even find it hard to go back Gen 3-5.

Overwatch-The characters and lore interest me but the fact none of that is in the game (except little snippets) is a let down and the gameplay just doesn't interest me (Which is the same for most online multiplayer games for me I guess). If it had a single player which was character and story focused that would update every so often to include new characters and expanded lore, I would eat it up, but it doesn't so yeah.

10 minutes ago, Michelaar said:

Honestly, I just don't get the appeal of First person shooters like call of duty. Seems to me like it's really just the same thing over and over again and I'm surprised it doesn't get stale for other people after like 3 games.

It's mostly because the idea of the WW2 shooter (mostly) has become stale. Medal of Honor and Call of Duty were very good games series for a time, especially Call of Duty 2 way back in yonderyears.

While Call of Duty went the path of trying to change the feel of the game to various points (Modern Warfare, Black Ops, Advanced Warfare, etc), but not actually changing the game from its now-annual release too much, it compares poorly to shooters that actually tried to reboot themselves like Doom.

Personally, I think Call of Duty gets too much attention in general, both positive and negative. The games are alright to play and I did for a while. I'm sure if I bought the newest one I'd have a decent enough time too. But you can see that it's just spinning its wheels in the mud.

Edited by Edgelord

12 minutes ago, Etheus said:

I'm actually shocked that I wasn't raked over the coals for Xenoblade. As much praise as it gets on these forums in particular, I thought that it was pretty much the #2 or 3 franchise on these forums. 

Xenoblade  is loved a lot, but I think most of us understand it's not everyones taste and some of the complaints are valid. I myself really enjoyed 2 at least and still need to finish 1 and maybe get X if it gets a switch port.

Anyways on topic here, I despise Animal Crossing, just absolutely hate it. I wouldn't call myself a pokemon fan postgen6, but here's to hoping for either gen 8 being amazing or gen 4 remakes. Not a fan of most shooter either though I do own a few, COD would be the one I hate the most of them all. Halo I can tolerate and somehow I enjoy battlefront 2 despite how much EA makes me want to scream at their greediness and lack of content.

3 minutes ago, Michelaar said:

Same here. Though, for me, this can sometimes also extend to 3rd-person shooters as well. 

It's the same story with sports games as well: it's too much of just the same thing. It's also not my cup of tea; neither are shooter games, to be honest. 

I do enjoy the Xenoblade games a lot, and I've had a lot of fun with them, and I don't dislike the games as a whole. But I really am not a fan of the combat system and the quest system. I've played 1 and X. I enjoyed 1 for its story, characters, and world. I enjoyed X for its characters, world, and approach to exploration. But I cannot stand cooldown-based combat; it wasn't fun in World of Warcraft, and it isn't fun in JRPGs. 

5 minutes ago, Kazuya said:

Those shitty ass corporate greed games like all of Asstivison Blizzard, stuff like all those sports games because they are corporate greed. 

Corporate Greed

Same. I can't stand any EA games right now for similar reasons. 

I did enjoy Command & Conquer years ago, but it, like a lot of RTS games, has the same problem: when playing against AI (which is pretty often), you can't really play at your pace; the AI is playing at its own fixed pace, and if you don't keep up, you're defeated. It makes it less about strategy, and more about multitasking and micromanaging. 

Batman Arkham: I really want to like this one, but I'm really bad at 3D Beat Em Ups, and also I really hate how dark the whole series is. I get it, Batman is dark, but it went kinda overboard, especially since the last game in the series got an M rating.