Soldier/Knight Class Returning? And What About Shields?

Hawkwing

I noticed this a while ago, but from the 0:32 to 0:40 mark on the trailer (they're also barely visible at the 0:55 mark), one of the allied units looked like this:

TYs-38eMAY0RYnB_mj8h6yG0YcKVVB7lWVIGMVGr4gtcU2l2oRRnc-nkWmZNxIHADTsrJ-50lE0GsTap1TUBUoOvq_xYeND0uAYObtcyrExCp-MIwoFvAmqzBvRflvaY2yAZ5fC5

Given the amount of armor they're wearing, I find it hard to tell whether the soldier class will be returning, or if it's a knight that finally has some reasonable looking armor. Considering that in Gaiden/Echoes, the knight class was a promotion of the soldier class, I'm curious if this may be the case in Three Houses. Who knows? Maybe they're a Jeigan unit? Maybe soldiers can decide whether to promote into knights or a different class this time around? Or maybe knights will return, and have the least ridiculous looking design in the series?

On a somewhat different note, I looked through the entire trailer, and the only character that had a shield was the lady in the beginning. Otherwise, no unit, allied or enemy, on the map, in a cut-scene, or on the battle screen, was wearing a shield. In the past, shields were only cosmetic (except in Gaiden/Echoes, where they were an equipable item, but even then certain classes had shields while holding something else), but I'm curious if this time around, shields will have to be equipped, and if they'll serve a greater function. I could be wrong and they'll appear on the advanced classes, but all the same, it does seem somewhat odd.

I hope shield's are equipable items, haven't played Echoes but using the shield-esque items in PoR was fun. Also i love soldiers and wouldn't mind if they could choose to be promoted to knight or spearmasters.

Also interested on the scholar-looking person in the back. Does the map show's what's their weapon? It doesn't look much like the mage we see casting fire in the trailer. Different mage classes for the split? New look for the Sage? Or just a design for female and male mages each?

One thing to remember is that the trailer was full of unfinished/placeholder assets so it's going to he tough to glean meaningful details from it. I wouldn't be suprised in the least if alit of the gameplay segments look drastically different in the next trailer

1 hour ago, MyLuckyHaiku said:

Interesting! Although on the topic of shields, With that much plate armor you didn't really need a shield. Unlike lighter infantry, Such as spear/pikemen which had shields.

Pikemen didn't have shields; pikes were two-handed weapons. Pike formations looked like this:

Image result for pike block

You are correct about lighter infantry using shields and people in plate armour not really needing shields. Some similar soldiers to pikemen did try to get around this with small round shields that were slung over the shoulder rather than gripped in the arm; the Picts did this, as did the Macedonians when they introduced the Sarissa, which was basically an Ancient Greek pike. 

I do think we very well could have both soldiers and knights this time around.

We might have fewer classes in general, and it ends up something like Myrm/Merc, Soldier/Knight, Fighter/new-ish Brigand like axe class, Archer/Hunter, Mage/Cleric, and then Cavaliers and fliers off on their own. Assuming branching promotions, that would be around 20 promoted classes (not counting personal ones).

I'm hoping for a more fleshed-out equipment system that forces you to further go into inventory management; have a unit carry another weapon or an item that boosts a specific stat?

1 hour ago, vanguard333 said:

Pikemen didn't have shields; pikes were two-handed weapons. Pike formations looked like this:

Image result for pike block

You are correct about lighter infantry using shields and people in plate armour not really needing shields. Some similar soldiers to pikemen did try to get around this with small round shields that were slung over the shoulder rather than gripped in the arm; the Picts did this, as did the Macedonians when they introduced the Sarissa, which was basically an Ancient Greek pike. 

Oops, I forgot the difference between pikes and spears, Sorry. 

4 hours ago, RexBolt said:

Also interested on the scholar-looking person in the back. Does the map show's what's their weapon? It doesn't look much like the mage we see casting fire in the trailer. Different mage classes for the split? New look for the Sage? Or just a design for female and male mages each?

5bfB3Fa64-XjcAVV2uJKz2ez9S01IZfKKwkzor7w6w8raBXvr2VCJblKMKFKN8zP-GL2GZ5GZwJRcPXurGrKe1sG36UhkJpYrLRax_x28h3nxoKb1dl8pCYYyGJBSduyqhQ5OSQqPMdJDujgqOcB7Pfhsb2c4JidOjioIvPrWxNgj-hyuKY6eVWERJ6TQSFfnuNhN7w78jhZvUdc3jSKqOJRFN6XRkoqxFBHaiO26hpPot1BeKmWfum2RenQXqsrG3TvoJZBLMOMEU6y

Sorry for the odd formating, but the archer (somewhat hard to see, but the bottom most character in the left picture is holding a bow) and mage units seem to be wearing very similar, if not the same, clothing for some reason. And no, that isn't Claude.

Looking at the scene where the second picture takes place, it seems even more strange. The lance unit is holding their weapon in a similar position to how your allied unit is. The female archer is wearing a different outfit from the archer right behind them, although said archer's outfit is similar to what was seen earlier in the video.

Also, something else I noticed...

dgGw3MHGSuMtF8ySlzuqWe8OLwJAa6BtbRqLTnC3MsEadowwsNb5GtXfHM4BNTRJMyiBdJPIWYN-dlwovOILCi0DM57Y-ZBrJkyFSWnsRM1jSf8p3pdmnpNW4ClYCKD7f99ARQdo

See the enemy on the right? Compare it to your ally on the left.

This may or may not mean that the soldier class will be returning, and knights will be a promotion.

It may or may not also mean that the prepromoted unit you get is a knight.

3 hours ago, vanguard333 said:

@Hawkwing There's already a forum post about class speculation. Just letting you know. 

I need to reread that thread. I've skimmed it in the past, but it's been some time since I did that last.

2 minutes ago, Hawkwing said:

I need to reread that thread. I've skimmed it in the past, but it's been some time since I did that last.

I completely understand. It's just; you know; you create a thread all about class speculation, you give it a cool title like "classes you know about, expect to see or want to see" rather than something very imaginative like "class speculation thread", and someone comes along and makes their own thread speculating about whether or not a class will appear in the game. It makes you wonder if it was worth the effort.

In all seriousness, I do completely understand. 

19 minutes ago, vanguard333 said:

I completely understand. It's just; you know; you create a thread all about class speculation, you give it a cool title like "classes you know about, expect to see or want to see" rather than something very imaginative like "class speculation thread", and someone comes along and makes their own thread speculating about whether or not a class will appear in the game. It makes you wonder if it was worth the effort.

In all seriousness, I do completely understand. 

It's hard to remember a thread that see's so little use. It's no one's falt bit the lack of information about the game. 

I think tge last post there still is mine about diversity in armor units.

1 hour ago, RexBolt said:

It's hard to remember a thread that see's so little use. It's no one's falt bit the lack of information about the game. 

I think tge last post there still is mine about diversity in armor units.

Actually, the last one there is Tolvir's reply to what you said about diversity in armor units. So there was exactly one post since your last one.