Opinions on Lyn

indigoasis

Yay or Nay for Lyn?  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Yay or Nay for Lyn?

• Yay!
    • Nay!
    • Other!

I was told not to do another one of these, but I'm gonna do it anyway.

It's all there in the title, so what are your thoughts on Lyn? There's a poll, too, if you're into that kind of thing. I figure this will be more hotly debated on than Camilla, so I have my popcorn ready.

I'm also putting this in FFTF this time because I don't wanna get yelled at for making this and because it's probably gonna get moved here anyway.

Lyn <3 I'm not crazy about her, but I like her a lot.

Eirika to me is what Lyn is to many people, but even though Lyn wasn't my first lord, I really liked her character, and her supports are great <3 overall she makes FE7 better by being there, and I wouldn't want it without her. 

Edited by Rose482

Invented to be a friendly face for FE7's dedicated tutorial for international newbies. Possibly inspired by Advance Wars' Nell and Sami.

Outside of Lyn Mode, she just exists, and the Laus attack on Caelin to get her involved in H&E's journey is forced, albeit it doesn't feel terribly forced.

Her personality isn't particularly great or anything, but I do like her with Eliwood over his other options.

As a unit, Swordlock is bad, gaining Bows on promotion doesn't help much, and she gets neither Guy's Crit, nor Rath's horse. She is fragile and needs time to develop her dodgetanking potential, but isn't a bad unit when she can dodgetank.

2 hours ago, indigospace said:

I was told not to do another one of these, but I'm gonna do it anyway.

It's all there in the title, so what are your thoughts on Lyn? There's a poll, too, if you're into that kind of thing. I figure this will be more hotly debated on than Camilla, so I have my popcorn ready.

I'm also putting this in FFTF this time because I don't wanna get yelled at for making this and because it's probably gonna get moved here anyway.

i like her. shes better then lots of characters but at the same time, like everyone else it seems on this thread there are better characters as well. she is truly in the middle.

I don't really like her. Her own mode is honestly pretty boring and she's barely important in Hector/Eliwood mode, the writers have to invent arbitrary ways for her to be useful when the plot would have been fine without her. I find her kind of annoying to be honest, but with tutorial slayer patches around, she's alright tolerable. The Mani Katti is pretty sick.

Edited by AnonymousSpeed

As others, I like her but don't love her. Good design, endearing enough.

Complaints about her not being important enough to the plot reflect more on FE7's plot than on her IMO, since the playable characters don't really drive the plot much in that game, beyond Eliwood somewhat.

As a unit she's okay, good speed early and good avoid late, though being infantry with only highly limited 1-2 range is definitely a downer.

I find her to be grossly overrated as a character, and fairly appropriately bashed for being an awful unit. That said, she's not a bad character, she just isn't a standout. She does stand out as a terrible unit among terrible units though. Even useless fucking Eirika is better, and that's purely because she gets a horse. 

She absolutely does not deserve as many Heroes alts as she has, it's really bizarre. She's a grand example of nostalgia bait. 

I will say, 8/10 in terms of visible design. She's cute, and not ridiculous, and her clothing seems to make a degree of actual sense. For comparison, see any female Fates cavalier...

Edited by Mandokarla

I used to like her quite a bit but now I'm neutral towards her. Replaying fe7 soured the character for me because she was incredibly frustrating to use on all my files and Lyn mode is tedious(I didn't know of any patches at the time). Some of my interactions with her fans didn't help either, especially after the whole Voting Gauntlet fiasco. I do like her design and I can't fault the character for a small minority but it left a nasty taste in my mouth.

As a unit and as a character I enjoy using her (but that's because I enjoy dodgetanks and cute girls) sure she doesn't get guys crit boost but there both worse than raven so that's not a huge issue, Lyn mode was nice the first easy run as an introduction and it's hard mode is enjoyable enough. Could have used more dialogue for your not caelin units since everybody survives anyway. Too many heroes Alts though ( a legendary and a brave is too much) 

So to summarise: Yay!