What features in Awakening did you like best?

TheSilentChloey

The features I liked in Awakening were:

~Reclassing to different classes to change the skills my units had available

~Pair Up which is a double edged sword

~ Map shopping to replenish weapons

~Street pass/Spot pass to get some weapons I couldn't always have access to.

~Support conversations to a degree since they did give some character growth out side of the main story.

If I had to say only one thing, it would have to be the amount of freedom the game gives you to play as you want. You want to do an ironman run? Then just select classic mode and never reset! Want to do a no grinding run? Then ignore the risen on the map. Don't want to use the child characters? Just don't do their paralogues. Solo runs, single weapon/class runs, never reclassing, never promoting, only using the weapons you get from enemies, etc. They're all available to the player, and you're free to mix and match each challenge. Sure, some may be more repetitive or frustrating than fun, but that's more on the players head than the games for deciding to play that way.

But since I don't have to choose one:

- The execution was a double-edged sword, but I did like that the characters go from two dimensional tropes to three dimensional characters the more you learn about them. It makes unlocking supports of even average writing quality rewarding and satisfying.

- Reclassing works both as a way to make a character even more powerful, and/or as a way to replace a fallen unit or have a back-up during an ironman run.

- Although I'd prefer for Mila's turnwheel to become a staple of the series to replace this, Casual mode is a very beginner-friendly way of introducing a new player to the mechanics of the game without permanently punishing them for their mistakes. It helps that lost units won't be gaining any more experience or support points for the rest of the map, so it's still an encouragement to play wisely.

- Child characters can appeal to people who care more about story than efficiency, while the gameplay aspect of them is fun to plan around in both a casual and in-depth manner.

-It has its flaws, but I really enjoy the stat boosts gained from pair-up. I like that pairing up Kellam with someone can make that unit go from "squishy" to "durable", and if the situation calls for it, I can switch that unit out so that Kellam can properly tank. Paring up a unit with low movement with a character with high mobility opens up a surprising amount of strategic options, almost making pair-up a better rescue.

Edited by Hawkwing
Fixed a few spelling errors.

Only pair-up. But even then, that was OP and needed some tweaking, which Fates did. Fates honestly had more features I liked. I suppose I also liked marrying characters together, but I'm not fond of child systems unless it's like FE4.

Edited by Anacybele

7 hours ago, TheSilentChloey said:

The features I liked in Awakening were:

~Reclassing to different classes to change the skills my units had available

~Pair Up which is a double edged sword

~ Map shopping to replenish weapons

~Street pass/Spot pass to get some weapons I couldn't always have access to.

~Support conversations to a degree since they did give some character growth out side of the main story.

love the map system, the pair up system was a lot of fun and the support conversations were really good. the shopping sysytem was also really cool, felt like you had more options and werent limited whats so ever. i personally really hate reclassing in every fire emblem. obviously the animations were close to coming back to Radiant dawn but it wasnt as good, Three Houses will hopefully finally beat Radiant dawn in the combat animations.

1 hour ago, Nym said:

Hands down the child characters. I like all of them.

yeah i liked it in awakening cause it made sense to the story but it sucked in fates, yeah more content and all but it was like a thrown together bad DLC which made no sense.

Every feature I liked had some sort of double-edge sword to it.

Pair-up was a neat new way to allow units to both fight together and bond, but it was too damn OP once you got characters to A and S rank supports.

Child units were welcome, but 2nd Generation was done better in Genealogy despite the asinine ways you had to go about actually getting parents together.  Just more of a reason why I want to see a Genealogy remake; I think it'd be killer if done right.

No support limits is nice, and S-rank is a good way of getting shared endings without overlaps, but they went way overboard with marriage pairs, giving us poor pairs like Tharja x Vaike or Nowi x Virion.

3 hours ago, Zihark11 said:

yeah i liked it in awakening cause it made sense to the story but it sucked in fates, yeah more content and all but it was like a thrown together bad DLC which made no sense.

Ironically, the child units in Fates were at their best in DLC.

• 2 weeks later...

On 9/13/2018 at 6:05 AM, Hawkwing said:

If I had to say only one thing, it would have to be the amount of freedom the game gives you to play as you want.

This.

Though, I also really liked the characters, even those I don't care for are interesting in their own way.

Edited by ChickenWings

I really like the way they handled grinding. The higher difficulty you go, the more it costs you, since you won't be able to re-cooperate the costs, as opposed to Gaiden, Echoes, Fates, and Sacred Stones where there was only gain to be had in grinding. In Awakening you'll lose money and weapon uses, that or barely gain money but still lose a lot of weapon uses. Although for me that just meant use Chrom to weaken the enemies to a stupid degree then pick them off with my other units.

• 1 month later...

Reclassing and skills, I just loved to grind to make a Super Morgan or Super Lute, oh, and also Enhenjar from past games that really looked like the original character.

Having a capped Dark Flier Lute was the BEST.

I know this is the low-hanging fruit, but I love the pair-up and support mechanics, and how they combine. I actually thought it was perfect that Awakening didn't have as much terrain you could "hide" in--I almost never found myself holing someone up in a fort. Instead, the only way to defeat enemies is to find the optimal pairings between units. I thought it was a really cool alternative to using terrain to gain the advantage over enemies.

11 hours ago, Sand55 said:

I know this is the low-hanging fruit, but I love the pair-up and support mechanics, and how they combine. I actually thought it was perfect that Awakening didn't have as much terrain you could "hide" in--I almost never found myself holing someone up in a fort. Instead, the only way to defeat enemies is to find the optimal pairings between units. I thought it was a really cool alternative to using terrain to gain the advantage over enemies.

And it fits with the theme of the game, forging bonds!

On 11/3/2018 at 10:05 AM, 1% Critical Hit said:

And it fits with the theme of the game, forging bonds!

Absolutely! That was the other thing I thought was really cool--how the pair-up mechanic automatically meant the support mechanic was active too, and how that tied into the story and got characters to have interactions with one another. Then when everybody's always talking about the bonds all you've made with all your units, you actually have had those experiences they're talking about through all the impromptu relationships that have sprung up naturally between units as you've played! What a darn cool game.

Another mechanic that I rarely used but kind of liked was the forging. It was just fun to splurge every once in a while to upgrade a Killing Edge's crit to maximum to get like a 100,000% to crit.

10 hours ago, Sand55 said:

Another mechanic that I rarely used but kind of liked was the forging. It was just fun to splurge every once in a while to upgrade a Killing Edge's crit to maximum to get like a 100,000% to crit.

Unlimited forged weapons!!!!

I always gave funny or weird names to those! I remember one lance for Sumia that I named Pie Cutter and my avatar got Kamehameha xD

• 1 month later...