What's needed to start?

Daes388

I've been thinking about starting my own fan project for a while, but even though I've taking notes on things like stats, growths and classes, I'm not really sure what I'd need to officially start.

This is mainly an issue due to the fact that I'm considering asking for the help of people online because of my own lack of expirience in all of this, but I don't want to ask for them to put their efforts in a project that lacks almost everything (I don't even know if it'd be appropiate to do it when knowing these things so you know).

I don't even know if asking this is appropiate, for that matter.

There's a lot of things I don't know apparently.

Yeah, FE Builder is a good tool, and you can also use SRPG Studio on Steam (it's $60 for the full version, but the demo let's you do plenty without a time limit) which is an RPGMaker-like tool that makes FE-style games.  Whatever works for you, those are just the easiest and best SRPG-making tools out there save building an engine yourself from the ground up.

My general advice for you as a new creator is just start making stuff on your own.  Whether it's story writing, level/unit design, graphical works, music, or programming, you should focus on whatever crafts you're best at and make some small projects with those elements as the focus.  That way, you get to practice and learn how to do those things better while also building a portfolio.  Generally speaking with any group project, it's a good idea to come in with a portfolio of your works so that others can gauge how much of an asset you'll be to the project, and to show that you are capable of actually learning.

If there's anything specific you need to ask, I'm sure some people will be willing to aid you.  I'd recommend against asking folks to make a project with you until you've created something - even just a sample - that shows what you can do.  Notes are good and all, but notes can't really be played, you know what I mean?

14 hours ago, Ertrick36 said:

My general advice for you as a new creator is just start making stuff on your own.  Whether it's story writing, level/unit design, graphical works, music, or programming, you should focus on whatever crafts you're best at and make some small projects with those elements as the focus.  That way, you get to practice and learn how to do those things better while also building a portfolio.  Generally speaking with any group project, it's a good idea to come in with a portfolio of your works so that others can gauge how much of an asset you'll be to the project, and to show that you are capable of actually learning.

This, also persistence, since you will most likely need to make plenty of edits along the way. Have people experience the little game you build up, as what people tell you can surprise you.

You can never really consider everything and you'll probably need people point things out, feedback is a great tool, you not only need people that help make the game, you need people to actually play it as well.

Edited by Scraiza

6 hours ago, Daes388 said:

Also thanks for being so patient with me, I was quite nervous to ask.

Well, they say it's braver to do something that makes you nervous or scared than it is to not be scared of things.  So good on you for stepping out of your comfort zone to try something new.  You're already better for it. ヽRGaYS2c.png

• 2 weeks later...

IDK if you have started yet, but from my experience starting a project with OoT, you tend to learn as you go.  So being resourceful of knowledge and info always helps.  Asking questions is never a bad thing, asking people for opinions on things, finding your vision.  Stuff like that goes a long way.  Above all, a good work ethic above anything else.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/25/2018 at 1:05 PM, Killgore5253 said:

IDK if you have started yet, but from my experience starting a project with OoT, you tend to learn as you go.  So being resourceful of knowledge and info always helps.  Asking questions is never a bad thing, asking people for opinions on things, finding your vision.  Stuff like that goes a long way.  Above all, a good work ethic above anything else.

Fire Emblem Rom Hacking is a lot like OoT in that case. Once you pick up something, such as eventing, you tend to keep the general idea of how to do it.