Nintendo Dream Magazine Poll - Top 20 Favorite Video Game Characters

Randoman

So I found this article about Nintendo Dream polling their readers on their favorite video game characters of all-time. And the poll's top 20 are as follows:

1. Kirby
2. Mario
3. Link
4. Pikachu
5. Luigi
6. Meta Knight
7. Yoshi
8. Waddle Dee
9. Wario
10. Zelda
11. Rowlet
12. Sonic
13. Ike
14. Eevee
15. Inkling
16. Daisy
17. Marth
18. Agent 8 (Splatoon)
19. Sans (Undertale)
20. Leon (Fire Emblem)

So, what do you guys think of the results? Rowlet and Leon surprise me a lot, personally.

Damn straight Kirby is the best.

I'm surprised by Leon, too. Marth and Ike are up there, but to see a non-Lord character there is a bit strange.

Then again, Echoes had a lot of great characters that you could attach to easily. Especially Leon, he's freaking great.

I'm kind of surprised Marth broke top 20 but yeah, Leon is a little bizarre of an inclusion. Have to wonder if participants were asked to specify from whichever video game, because Leon Kennedy is a pretty well known character of a classic game and an upcoming remake of said game. Though there may have been a limit of only characters that have appeared on Nintendo systems, and only the original RE2 fits the bill. It's also interesting to note no Star Fox characters, and no Metroid characters. There aren't a lot of named characters to really pick from the Metroid series so Samus feels like a solid bet on a Nintendo poll. That omission bothers me more than anything.

2 minutes ago, indigospace said:

Damn straight Kirby is the best.

I'm surprised by Leon, too. Marth and Ike are up there, but to see a non-Lord character there is a bit strange.

Then again, Echoes had a lot of great characters that you could attach to easily. Especially Leon, he's freaking great.

In addition to this, Rowlet doesn't surprise me because of the fact that Gen 7's all been about shoving it or Litten's family in everywhere. Rowlet's freakin' adorable. Surprised it hit higher than Eevee though.

6 minutes ago, Light Strategist said:

In addition to this, Rowlet doesn't surprise me because of the fact that Gen 7's all been about shoving it or Litten's family in everywhere. Rowlet's freakin' adorable. Surprised it hit higher than Eevee though.

Rip Popplio. That was my favorite.

34 minutes ago, Glennstavos said:

I'm kind of surprised Marth broke top 20 but yeah, Leon is a little bizarre of an inclusion. Have to wonder if participants were asked to specify from whichever video game, because Leon Kennedy is a pretty well known character of a classic game and an upcoming remake of said game. Though there may have been a limit of only characters that have appeared on Nintendo systems, and only the original RE2 fits the bill. It's also interesting to note no Star Fox characters, and no Metroid characters. There aren't a lot of named characters to really pick from the Metroid series so Samus feels like a solid bet on a Nintendo poll. That omission bothers me more than anything.

Resident Evil 4 is one of the most reverred games of all time, and though it came out on basically everything, it's probably most well known on Nintendo consoles(The original being first released on the GC, and the Wii's motion controls adding a lot to the game for most people).

But yeah, definitely FE Leon.

Edited by Slumber

13 minutes ago, Slumber said:

Resident Evil 4 is one of the most reverred games of all time, and though it came out on basically everything, it's probably most well known on Nintendo consoles(The original being first released on the GC, and the Wii's motion controls adding a lot to the game for most people).

But yeah, definitely FE Leon.

Ah, now how could I forget 4?

I never imagined Kirby was that popular at all. I also always thought Luigi was more popular than his brother. But eh.

Ike being the most popular FE character though, aw yeah! :D And Daisy, but no Peach or Rosalina is surprising. I love Daisy, so this pleases me too!

Edited by Anacybele

39 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Interesting.

In regards to Rowlet it wouldn't surprise me if it was due to the anime or something like that.

That's the angle I was coming from basically.

31 minutes ago, indigospace said:

Rip Popplio. That was my favorite.

Starters tend to have this thing I'm going to call 'Black Sheep Syndrome' where there are 3 different options for something but 2 of the options are ridiculously more popular than the third.

Gen1 had Bulbasaur
Gen 2 had Chikorita
Gens 3 and 4 didn't really have anything because the starters were all loved equally.
Gen 5 had Tepig as I remember by popularity.
Gen 6 had Chespin
Gen 7 has Popplio

Or at least this is my observation. The other options each generation typically lead to arguments.

40 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Kirby is number one, yay!

I think this calls for a celebration!

HOW DOES HE KEEP GETTING MORE ADORABLE?!

The first 5 and to a slightly lesser degree 10 I can understand, but the rest have me raising an eyebrow, not gonna lie.

I get the sense that the people they polled were from a specific, if broad, demigraph. There are hundreds, if not thousands of other video game characters they could have been picked. Like, where's Gordan Freeman, or Solid Snake, or Samus Aran, or a Final Fantasy character and so on and so forth. Not going to lie, these seem like the kind of answers that I would expect some random kid that's largely a Nintendo fan to provide. Far, far from saying that thier opinion is wrong, just that the video game industry has spans decades, so some of the characters that aren't here, again, raise an eyebrow, and make me think the poll was somewhat limited.

19 minutes ago, Light Strategist said:

Gen 6 had Chespin

Really? Chespin I remember being pretty popular because it was cute and not another grass lizard. Quilladin tho...

Interesting list. Kirby being in first kind of surprised me. Wario being in the top 10 too. I thought Japan is usually turned off by the scatological. Sans legit shocked me. Is Undertale that popular in Japan?

1 hour ago, Glennstavos said:

Ah, now how could I forget 4?

It's alright. It's not like RE2 Leon and RE4 Leon are actually the same character...

Or RE6 Leon, or any of the movie Leons.

4 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

Leo is that high? I thought Takumi overtook him with a comfortable lead after the date book implied Leo would have more eyes for his big sister than his fangirls. 

You DO realize what game Leo is from, right? That's not going to be a breaking point at all. The people who'd be bothered by that already probably don't give a shit about Fates' characters, so it probably affected him very minimally.

Edited by Slumber

1 minute ago, Slumber said:

You DO realize what game Leo is from, right? That's not going to be a breaking point at all. The people who'd be bothered by that already probably don't give a shit about Fates' characters, so it probably affected him very minimally.

I know. But I recall it being such a thing primarily in the fandom that really liked Leo. I believe one of the translated comments was about a ''nuclear bomb'' being dropped with that news.

3 hours ago, eclipse said:

Where was this survey conducted?  Depending on the locale, the last spot is either Mr. Fix Your Collar or my favorite Brave Bow archer.

By searching the source sites i see that the list is straight from a japanese magazine that took survey only of it's readers, in Japan. So it's most probably Fates Leo/n that won 20th place.

3 hours ago, RexBolt said:

By searching the source sites i see that the list is straight from a japanese magazine that took survey only of it's readers, in Japan. So it's most probably Fates Leo/n that won 20th place.

I had a feeling it was Leo. His Japanese name is Leon, after all. But then on Leon's wiki page, it says his Japanese is Leo? I'm confused. Can we just say that the both of them share a spot at 20th place?

8 minutes ago, indigospace said:

I had a feeling it was Leo. His Japanese name is Leon, after all. But then on Leon's wiki page, it says his Japanese is Leo? I'm confused. Can we just say that the both of them share a spot at 20th place?

Good idea. good for both of them! :lol:

But i really would like to know what happened to the name changes, after all, it's not like Gaiden came out in the west before Fates, there couldn't have a oficial translation. 

10 hours ago, indigospace said:

Alright, well what do we do about Leonardo?