Which is better-Odd Waves, or Even Waves?

Corrobin

Wave skills are selfish-but-team-supportive C skills that, on every odd/even turn, buff one of the user's stats, and buff any adjacent ally's stats as well. They come in Even and Odd varieties, which begs the question:

Which of the two is more useful and powerful? Odd Waves are more immediate, but there's no guaruntee that you'll be fighting in the first round. Even Waves stack with Renewal 3 timing-wise.

To be fair, depend of the map. Some maps you can enter in combat in the first turn. In some maps, that both teams starts in different corners, Even Wave skills are better.

For exemple:

360px-Map_Z0013.png?version=d1e236a7271d

In this map, the Player's Team starts on the right side, while Enemy's Team starts on the left side. In turn one, you can trigger a combat easily, placing your units in the defensive tiles. In this case, Odd Wave skills are better.

360px-Map_Z0015.png?version=adbb283cd7ae

In this second map, the Player's Team starts on the bottom side, while the Enemy's Team starts on the top side. Unless one of the teams has dancers and cavalry/flying units, you cannot trigger a combat in turn one. In this case, Even Wave skills are better.

Honestly I think even waves are better, most of the time the first turn I just set up my team for the second turn, when I actually start attacking. Now that I think about it, defensive odd waves might be a bit better, so you can lure the enemy with someone who got buffed, while offensive even waves are great for the next turn, to annihilate the enemy team. Now, if only even spd wave wouldn't be so rare...

It depends on where the bulk of the engagement takes place. I'd lean towards Even because most of the time you're engaging on turn 2, but turn 1 EP builds and needing an extra turn to pull them in are situations where Odd would prevail.

Even waves don't sound like waves at all, by definition.

And I do think Odd Wave is better because of those one turn maps. Some maps you can't do much to prevent Turn One combat besides turtling in nearby corners which splits up the party. Dancer + Reinhardt is a rough combo.

Neither. Use Tactic skills instead.

For a passive or balanced team, I'd argue that Odd Wave skills are better than Even Wave skills. It's easier to manipulate the AI to engage in combat on the first or third turn, regardless of phase.

For a more aggressive team, Even Wave skills are probably better because it's harder to initiate combat on the first turn. However, it is still not difficult to stall until the third turn, so the difference between the two is not large.

But Tactic skills and movement-type-specific buffs are still better.

53 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

Neither. Use Tactic skills instead.

But Tactic skills and movement-type-specific buffs are still better.

Being able to buff yourself as well as your allies though

1 hour ago, Corrobin said:

Being able to buff yourself as well as your allies though

Being limp half the time is not very impressive.

Edited by XRay

I honestly don't consider one Wave skill better over the other; they're not consistent when compared to Tactic and Movement Emblem skills. And they're premium skills so I have no expectations of getting them (though Silas is most likely coming to the 4* pool though Def Wave isn't anywhere as popular as Atk Wave or Spd Wave).

I guess it really just depends on your playstyle, but also the map your on. Odd Waves might be better for quick, one round offensives, while Even Waves give you the opportunity to set up on the first turn, then begin battle on the second. 

I think it might actually be a good idea to have a team with Even and Odd Waves of all four stats. Attack and Speed on one turn, Defense and Resistance on the next, and then it would alternate if units are close by and positioned accordingly. This way you could theoretically switch between attacking and defending every turn.  It would also be kind of tedious to manage, but that's why you're supposed to strategize with it. I just thought that Wave teams could be cool.