FE4: items stacking vs fair share

FE4: items stacking vs fair share  

9 members have voted

1. 1. How do you manage stats boosting?

• Personal - I give rings to whoever i like
    • Balanced - I give rings only to characters with specific high stats
    • Tactical - I stack rings with Crusader weapons

i started as balanced up until the end of the first generation, after that( and after seeing Julius stats for the first timeΒ ) i decided to go partially tactical on Crusader weapon users by the end of the game, and that sure helped a lot.

so, after reaching the end of thisΒ long journey throu FE4, i was curious to see how other people around here managed to get there as well.

Usually I would have used my rings to help patch up units who are quite good with that stat as is, but could use the boosts to push them furtherΒ like Dermott/Faval and the Power Ring, Sety/ArthurΒ and the Magic Rings, Lester and the Skill RingΒ and Larcei/Ulster and the Shield Rings. This isn't universal, like giving LeneΒ (I have to question myself for that one) and Finn (mostly because his speed is really good with this pushing his double potential higher again) the Speed Ring, Johan getting a skill ring (For Brave Axe usage)Β or the Barrier Ring being given toΒ Dermott and Altena (Mistakes were made)

Then there's the others like Renewal on Lester and Finn (I don't think there's a particular reason here), Bargain on Ares (Mystletainn drinks alright), Pursuit on Johan (Nearly everyone in that playthrough has it already), Thief on Nanna (Because of her staff usage), Leg on Seliph (12 move is balanced), Knight on Lene (For retreating if she can. Probably should have passed the leg ring in fairness) and Return on Oifey and Hannibal (To cover a castle if really needed and because those who had needed them sold them already).

So I'm just all over the place. Balanced and Personal is probably where I'd fit. It's not like I couldn't kill Julius without a 6-ring Seliph.

16 hours ago, Dayni said:

Usually I would have used my rings to help patch up units who are quite good with that stat as is, but could use the boosts to push them furtherΒ like Dermott/Faval and the Power Ring, Sety/ArthurΒ and the Magic Rings, Lester and the Skill RingΒ and Larcei/Ulster and the Shield Rings. This isn't universal, like giving LeneΒ (I have to question myself for that one) and Finn (mostly because his speed is really good with this pushing his double potential higher again) the Speed Ring, Johan getting a skill ring (For Brave Axe usage)Β or the Barrier Ring being given toΒ Dermott and Altena (Mistakes were made)

Then there's the others like Renewal on Lester and Finn (I don't think there's a particular reason here), Bargain on Ares (Mystletainn drinks alright), Pursuit on Johan (Nearly everyone in that playthrough has it already), Thief on Nanna (Because of her staff usage), Leg on Seliph (12 move is balanced), Knight on Lene (For retreating if she can. Probably should have passed the leg ring in fairness) and Return on Oifey and Hannibal (To cover a castle if really needed and because those who had needed them sold them already).

well, i guess everyone has his own preferences.Β it's always nice to see some variations from other people in order to discover new things or learn alternative settings.

when i was planning builds for the 2nd generation, i always used this kind of priority:

[1] Β» class of the children and Holy Blood, to see wich stats could have been the highest;

[2] Β» items inheritance and equipment unlocked after promotion, to see what could have been used right from the start of mid-game and at end-game;

[3] Β» skills inheritance, to see how the character would have worked out.

Β 

i also tend to always assign the best weapons and rings to characters that are always attacking or defending, rather than giving them to supports/healers even if they have an A rank with a specific weapon. i believe it's way more important to make characters use the same weapon as often as possible in order to unlock the critical chance after 50 kills, but that's just me.

that way i won't have to rely too much on the Critical skill, althou in the end i always manage to give skill rings to characters like Oifey, Fee or Sety since i prefer maxing out statsΒ in order to deal massive damage as often as possible.

17 minutes ago, Fenreir said:

well, i guess everyone has his own preferences.Β it's always nice to see some variations from other people in order to discover new things or learn alternative settings.

when i was planning builds for the 2nd generation, i always used this kind of priority:

[1] Β» class of the children and Holy Blood, to see wich stats could have been the highest;

[2] Β» items inheritance and equipment unlocked after promotion, to see what could have been used right from the start of mid-game and at end-game;

[3] Β» skills inheritance, to see how the character would have worked out.

Β 

i also tend to always assign the best weapons and rings to characters that are always attacking or defending, rather than giving them to supports/healers even if they have an A rank with a specific weapon. i believe it's way more important to make characters use the same weapon as often as possible in order to unlock the critical chance after 50 kills, but that's just me.

that way i won't have to rely too much on the Critical skill, althou in the end i always manage to give skill rings to characters like Oifey, Fee or Sety since i prefer maxing out statsΒ in order to deal massive damage as often as possible.

Me, it was moire about getting the units planned before their weapons, mainly because the items were the most variable factor in G2 and I could move items at the end of the gen if they could inherit, while Skills are entirely parent based barring Pursuit. The fact that items for their promotions couldn't be passed had an impact too. As an aside, a lot of them got rings from their parents, there wasn't a massive amount of planning.

What with everyone having good pairings in that playthrough, everyone could do combat unless they were Silvia's kids (or unpromoted Patty) anyway. It's just that some wouldn't do it much like Lana (though she was a surprisingly effective castle guard. The mistake of overlevelleing her so she could get Chapter 7 arena).

I didn't really rely on critical much, mainly because so few units had it and I hadn't optimised critical weapons.

I went with Tactical, but only because none of them really fit with how I do it, and tactical is the best way to describe it. Although I sometimes take in account crusader weapons/blood, I think more about who will be able to use it the best. For example, Lene/Laylea will most likely always end up with the leg ring + knight ring, because I find that she utilizes those rings the best with her dance. So I guess you can say my style is Tactical/Personal. I tend to give the power ring to someone like Diarmuid or Lester because the extra STR makes the biggest difference for them. The Speed ring goes to either my dancer or my thief, because they'll need to rely more on dodging to survive than tanking (usually. You could also give Arden!Lene the defense ring, which stacks with her Defense Sword, which works well with the small DEF boost Arden gives her. So she'll be able to tank an attack.)

I tend to not go for the "Balanced" way, mainly because when a character is good in one stat, they usually don't need anything to make it stronger when they operate fine without it. Although I could put the power ring on someone like Sigurd, Ares or Shannan, it becomes unnecessary because their weapons are already OP without them. A few more points of damage doesn't change the fact they can OHKO 98% of enemies.

9 hours ago, Dandy Druid said:

I tend to not go for the "Balanced" way, mainly because when a character is good in one stat, they usually don't need anything to make it stronger when they operate fine without it. Although I could put the power ring on someone like Sigurd, Ares or Shannan, it becomes unnecessary because their weapons are already OP without them. A few more points of damage doesn't change the fact they can OHKO 98% of enemies.

yeah, i get what you mean.

if i remember well, the stats should be capped at 30, meaning you can't get more than that with just leveling up to lv30.

usually i end up giving rings to people who aren't supports/healers and have either the highest stats compared to the other units, or who have maxed stats already and could use some extra boost( wich areΒ usually reaching points around 25-27-30 after getting to lv30 ).

i also look atΒ how attack skills work before giving rings to someone, since most of them require either speed for multiple attacks, or skillΒ if they have the Critical ability.

when i'll be done with FE4, i think i'll take some screenshots just to compare maxed out units at end-game.