Playstation Classic: Comes out December 3rd

Jedi

So Sony is taking a leaf out of Nintendos book. 

https://kotaku.com/sony-just-announced-the-99-playstation-classic-console-1829159574

It’ll be out on December 3 in the US and Canada, and includes games like Final Fantasy VII, Jumping Flash, Ridge Racer Type 4, Tekken 3, and Wild Arms. There’ll be 20 bundled titles in total, but those five are the only ones announced at the moment.

Annoyingly, like the SNES Classic, the PlayStation Classic won’t include an AC adaptor either, with the only power option being a bundled USB cable.

The PlayStation Classic will include two original PS1 controllers and a HDMI cable, and cost $99.99.

Xenogears better be one of the games that's on there, more people seriously need to play it.

Hopefully it doesn't suffer stock issues.

And if it does well, we can probably expect a PS2 Classic.

3 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Xenogears better be one of the games that's on there, more people seriously need to play it.

Hopefully it doesn't suffer stock issues.

And if it does well, we can probably expect a PS2 Classic.

I hope Legend of Dragoon, Suikoden, Brave Fencer Musashi and Tomba are all on here.

Symphony of the Night seems like a no brainer too.

Edited by Jedi

Firstly...

11 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Absolutely this.

Secondly, of course they're following suit with Ninty, they already did it with All Stars.  Can't say I particularly disapprove, though.

Maybe if Konami isn't feeling stingy about it, they'll have let them put MGS1 on there to remind people of what a good Metal Gear game is like.  The more I see of Survive, the more I hate Konami and that game.

3 minutes ago, Ertrick36 said:

Firstly...

Absolutely this.

Secondly, of course they're following suit with Ninty, they already did it with All Stars.  Can't say I particularly disapprove, though.

Maybe if Konami isn't feeling stingy about it, they'll have let them put MGS1 on there to remind people of what a good Metal Gear game is like.  The more I see of Survive, the more I hate Konami and that game.

Since they're using the old model PS1 controllers I don't see MGS being on there, but maybe i'm wrong.

1 minute ago, Jedi said:

Since they're using the old model PS1 controllers I don't see MGS being on there, but maybe i'm wrong.

Why would that matter?  You can still play OG MGS1 without analog controls.  The only problem would be the lack of vibration, which is used, like, a couple times (Psycho Mantis won't be moving any Playstation Classic controllers, and your arm will be slightly sorer after the torture sequence).

Now I'm wondering which Crash and Spyro games will make it on there. Gonna guess Spyro 2 and Crash 3. If neither gets an entry at all, it's gonna be a little disappointing, but considering N'Sane and Reignited, they possibly could be skipped.

Edited by Hylian Air Force

Sounds nice, although I bought a PS3 at the end of its lifespan some years ago to sate the unplayed PS1 era itch. And still haven't finished it with FFT and IX.

Hope it sells well, and maybe has a title that wasn't ever put on the PS3, like Valkyrie Profile.

7 hours ago, Ertrick36 said:

Why would that matter?  You can still play OG MGS1 without analog controls.  The only problem would be the lack of vibration, which is used, like, a couple times (Psycho Mantis won't be moving any Playstation Classic controllers, and your arm will be slightly sorer after the torture sequence).

It just seems like it’d be really weird, and I see most other people I’ve talked to about this have the same opinion that it’s likely not going to be on there for that reason or the whole Kojima thing.

i guess it's a nice addition for collectors or people who want to explore old PSOne games.

on the other hand, i'm really glad i still own my PS2, since it's always been a beast.

it's probably one of my favorite consoles, not only for the loads of titles it can run, but also for the compatibility with PSOne games, wich means it actually has the library of 2 consoles(plus it can play movies in DvD too).

11 hours ago, Jedi said:

I hope Legend of Dragoon, Suikoden, Brave Fencer Musashi and Tomba are all on here.

Symphony of the Night seems like a no brainer too.

YOOOOOO BRAVE FENCER MUSASHI

I played the sequel with my cousin when we were kids and we both remember it fondly, it would be nice to be able to play the first one 

They're not putting in the dualshock? Are they mad? The original controller was just a SNES controller with thighs and R2 and L2 which were seldom used in any game. 

Anyway my first thought was who would buy this when all PS3 models are backwards compatible with PS1 discs and PSN has about a hundred PS1 games available for download. My PS3's loaded up with 63 of 'em. Then I remembered they didn't do either of those things for PS4 There aren't a ton of great PS1 games that should be on the Classic that aren't available for cheap on PS3. Mostly licensed games like Activisions Spider-Man and even then PSN has been surprising at getting as many licensed games as they did.

Anyway my Personal PS1 top 20 would be:

1. Final Fantasy 9
  2. Final Fantasy Tactics
  3. Resident Evil 2
  4. Tekken 3
  5. Street Fighter Alpha 3
  6. Metal Gear Solid
  7. Syphon Filter 2
  8. The Legend of Dragoon
  9. Klonoa: Door to Phantomille
  10. Crash Bandicoot 2: Enter the Vortex
  11. Crash Team Racing
  12. Spyro 3: Year of the Dragon
  13. Dino Crisis
  14. Medieval
  15. Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2
  16. Mega Man Legends
  17. Rayman
  18. Twisted Metal 4
  19. Ape Escape
  20. Another JRPG slot between Chrono Cross, Xenogears, Suikoden, Wild Arms, or Legend of Mana, because I'm not that much into any of these but understand this is too JRPG lite for any respectable PS1 collection. Three jrpgs (not counting FF Tactics) sounds like the reasonable bare minimum.

I think it's a good blend of genre and franchise. I think Resident Evil 3 or even the Directors Cut of 1 is better than Dino Crisis, but far less people play or talk about Dino Crisis. I was also considering Parasite Eve for this slot. Crash Team Racing is one of the best kart racers in my opinion. Medieval is a delightfully weird game and I know Sony would love to tout the game before its remake comes out. And the Syphon Filter series got pretty good starting at 2. I also tried and failed to justify Silent Hill for the list. Too many horror games with tank controls, and Capcom did 'em better in the PS1 era.

Edit: Ah shoot, I forgot Symphony of the Night. 

Edited by Glennstavos

I really hope they drop the 1st model controller thing because the technical innovation of dual shock meant a lot.

My  guess for the last 15

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater, Soul Reaver : Legacy of Kain, Parappa the Rapper, Vagrant Story, Silent Hill, Resident Evil, Wipeout, Symphony of the Night, Driver, Crash Bandicoot: Warped,  Spyro:Year of the Dragon, R-Type Delta,  Gran Turismo 2,  Twisted Metal 2, Tomb Raider 1 (blah blah Last Revelation fans), 

Definitely not my personal top list since I think Ape Escape was the best platformer, and would throw in silent bomber, metal gear solid, descent, and a bunch of puzzle games but bearing in mind the need for "cultural importance", which companies are known to be responsive with their IPs, avoiding arcade/PC ports, and the controller issue, these are what I came up with.

Shamelessly  justifying 5 "car" games at the same time as only letting 3 RPGs get through on the so-called "best JRPG system of all time".

I already did bought Final Fantasy VII in my PlayStation TV and they did announced five PS games in the PlayStation Classics. I hope Sony will put one of the Spyro, Crash Bandicoot, Tomb Raider, and classic Star Wars (if they have the rights) games along with Castlevania: Symphony of the Night and Metal Gear Solid in PlayStation Classics.

Edited by King Marth 64

• 2 weeks later...

One thing I didn't think about that was brought up to me is their potential want of avoiding M rated games in order to keep the whole system from being rated M. I dunno, I think they'd just bite that bullet. You can't avoid Metal Gear Solid or really a lot of the system's relevant lineup. And the PS1 is where the survival horror genre was born. I refuse to believe these games would be ignored in favor of JRPGs and other obscure-yet-E-Rated games.

• 4 weeks later...

UPDATE: Full lineup of 20 games revealed:

• Battle Arena Toshinden
  • Cool Boarders 2
  • Destruction Derby
  • Final Fantasy VII
  • Grand Theft Auto
  • Intelligent Qube
  • Jumping Flash
  • Metal Gear Solid
  • Mr Driller
  • Oddworld: Abe’s Oddysee
  • Rayman
  • Resident Evil Director’s Cut
  • Revelations: Persona
  • Ridge Racer Type 4
  • Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo
  • Syphon Filter
  • Tekken 3
  • Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six
  • Twisted Metal
  • Wild Arms

Okay so, first victory is that M rated games are included. There weren't as many doubts about this as there were with Nintendo's classic consoles, but it is so vitally important for the PS1 because its non-M rated library is just awful. Not too many victories beyond that however, in my opinion. Tony Hawk's Pro Skater, Spyro, and Crash feel like glaring omissions, though naturally there would be several rights issues to sort out with its licensed properties and music in the case of Tony Hawk. Syphon Filter 1 is a shocker, since the production values of that series skyrocketed with the second game. The only notable feature in 1 is how goofy and effective the taser is and you have it from the very first stage. Definitely a game I'd recommend people boot up on the system, but not one of the PS1's better overall games.

It's also surprisingly JRPG lite. Just Persona 1, Wild Arms 1, and FF7. Even myself, with my personal top 20 PS1 games list, made a point to include three JRPGs plus Final Fantasy Tactics. And there's no way Persona 1 ranks even on the system's top ten list of JRPGs. I think Oddworld is a good under-the-radar pick. Twisted Metal 1 is very content lite compared to 2, 3, or 4. Super Puzzle Fighter 2 Turbo is an odd choice for sure, and I bet most people would prefer one of the Street Fighter Alpha games or Marvel vs Capcom 1. Then again we've got two fighting games already and I wouldn't have more than that. The omission of Sympony of the Night is also excusable since Konami is selling it right now.

I think this isn't the worst list in the world, but so much of it feels extremely mid tier and too focused on PS1 exclusives. I rate it a 5.8 out of 10. Only three games of my personal top 20 PS1 games ended up on the list (just Tekken 3, Rayman, and Metal Gear Solid), yikes. We were not on the same page.

PS: Still bummed that there's no dualshock controller. Like, c'mon Sony. I know there aren't too many games that require it, but so many games play better as a result.

Edited by Glennstavos

I kinda feel guilty but....

Victory for the puzzle game master race minus xi jumbo/devil dice

s Of the things that did get in, I feel that "precendece" > quality is a real issue, especially with Twisted Metal and Syphon Filter over some of their PS1 sequels.

I also kind of associate Oddworld and especially Rainbow Six much more with the PC than the PS1

I have mixed opinions on some of the games - Rayman 1 and Grand Theft Auto - I never really liked them as games that much.. Rayman 1 has great presentation and art design, but feels untested in its level design, and the invisible spawn trigggers for the cages are awful... and I'm generally fine with the secret design of Euro Platformers... GTA 1-2 never felt like they have much point and the entertaiment value isn't quite visceral enough to let you just forget the main mission and do your own thing as normal for sandboxs.  I easily prefer Rayman 2  over Rayman 1 even though it's a stripped down backport... of course it would be inapproiate due to not being culturally associated with the PS1 the same way it is with n64/dreamcast but I think it's miles more playable.

I think game length is really weird in this collection - The puzzle games, jumping flash, and GTA are much shorter than everything else, even ignoring the rpgs. 

While the NES and SNES classic ended up leaving off a lot of the best games... they definately did a better job of covring the essentials than this does...

I think FF7+puzzle games +Tekken3+Metal Gear Solid + RRT4+medium quality filler as a package would be a recommended from me up to  the 49.99~ price range although that  could be a lot of waiting when looking at the release pricing...

• 3 weeks later...

Revelations: Persona is the odd one from the bunch for me. It's localization looked nothing like the JP version, changing names, locations, difficulity, and ethnicity to make it appeal for towards the West. That's like advertising the 4kids dub of One Piece in the present day. The PSP version of the game is more faithful to the original.