Favourite Heroes OC

Icelerate

Favourite Heroes Character  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your favourite character in this game?

Hrid! He's just my type of manly badass dude. I really like Sharena too, since she's pretty much what I always wished I could be. More cheerful, outgoing, and eager to make friends. She's also pretty cute. I also think Laevatein is really cute.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I voted assuming you meant to factor in everything in addition to their story-specific stuff. I like everything about Gunnthra except the terrible job they did with her in the story. Strictly story-wise, I'd lean more towards Laegjaen, Bruno, and Hrid. Characters showing their intelligence and awareness is a strong point.

Gunnthra personally I fine the best designed and most unique gameplay wise, but I think this is more about the unit's character/writing.  In which case Laegjarn.  She is that tragic Camus archetype, however I think it may be less 'duty to country' and more protect little sister from maniac father.  Her motives for her actions are very understandable.  She is a somewhat doting motherly sister to Laevatein like Camilla is to Corrin except thankfully without the creepy aspects.  She is big sis done right, and Camus archetype done right.  She's smart, strong, and hot as hell not just cause she's from Muspell.  Bonus points for dark skin, as dark skinned characters are quite rare in FE series.  

1 hour ago, Icelerate said:

Alfonse is generally locked up as a strong character so I'm curious why he's dead last.

50 minutes ago, RexBolt said:

I don't like Alfonse because of this actually. I find it a big falt in the writting of Heroes that only he receives attention of any kind that isn't comedic, hell he performs Anna's Commander role better than her and that makes him just too much of a good thing for my taste. Also being a nerd/not being cheery isn't enought for a character flaw.

That, basically.

I hate Alfonse. He's just another generic blue-haired sword lord, but despite that he's supposed to share story roles with Sharena and Anna (and Fjorm in book 2), the game throws all the attention squarely at him. Characters in book 1 often speak strictly to Alfonse. Not Sharena, the princess who should have just as much power (and story attention) as him. Not Anna, the fucking Commander. Not even the player. Then in book 2 all the solutions and smart decisions are made by...Alfonse. Sharena is just along for the ride and was Anna even there? Not in the cinematic cutscene for it, she wasn't.

Even in another theoretical universe where Sharena and Anna don't exist and Alfonse is the protagonist by himself, I'd still find him very bland and completely unmemorable. That he exists as he does and is a spotlight hog to boot makes me hate him almost as much as male Corrin.

Edited by Florete

I don't think it's Alfonse fault that he is only one with decent writing. Yes, he get more  atention then Anna and Sharena (and as I noted I like Sharena much more then him), but what he got is still bare minimum for character getting fleshed out. His sister and Anna should get more screen time that's for sure, but it certainly shouldn't be on Alfonse account, otherwise he himself would be one lacking.

I wouldn't say he is generic "blue haired lord" either. His smarts sets him apparts from such as Marth, chrome or even Eliwood (despite not being blue haired If there is someone who could get less screen time for sake of other it would be Fjorm instead. Putting aside she got barely any characterisation on her own despite all that focus she was given, she could reasonable get half without missing anything for sake of Anna or Sharena.

Edited by Tenzen12

1 hour ago, Florete said:

That, basically.

I hate Alfonse. He's just another generic blue-haired sword lord, but despite that he's supposed to share story roles with Sharena and Anna (and Fjorm in book 2), the game throws all the attention squarely at him. Characters in book 1 often speak strictly to Alfonse. Not Sharena, the princess who should have just as much power (and story attention) as him. Not Anna, the fucking Commander. Not even the player. Then in book 2 all the solutions and smart decisions are made by...Alfonse. Sharena is just along for the ride and was Anna even there? Not in the cinematic cutscene for it, she wasn't.

Even in another theoretical universe where Sharena and Anna don't exist and Alfonse is the protagonist by himself, I'd still find him very bland and completely unmemorable. That he exists as he does and is a spotlight hog to boot makes me hate him almost as much as male Corrin.

Are...you forgetting all the times Anna did stuff? I agree that Sharena doesn't do a lot, but that seems in-character; she's just not a brainy character. Anna seems to be the one making decisions in-battle (i.e., when to press forward and when to retreat. She also is the one everyone reports to, and has the final call on things, even if she goes with someone else's plan.) Meanwhile, Alfonse has come up with a few clever ideas, and so seems the most creative of the three regarding battle tactics. His mind's flexible and considers off-the-wall options no one else does, while Anna's role is more geared toward making judgement calls. Sharena, meanwhile, is more "the heart" and makes everyone who comes into the army feel welcome. However, the player also assumes all three roles by virtue of being the player.

The point is that Anna does plenty. It's just things that don't stick out because she's not really the ideas person, and normally, what she says is things along the lines of "here's the situation, so here's what we're going to do" following the basic options of "press forward," "go another way," "retreat," etc. Of course, that's another thing that kind of bothers me about Anna; it should be the royals making the calls while she commands the actual army, imo, but Askr's decided to handle things differently, so I'll let them do their thing.

My vote went to Bruno, I usually like mysterious characters. Then, when his identity was revealed, I was actually moved by how he cares for Alfonse and Sharena and what he had to go through to keep them safe.

Second place goes to Laegjarn and the third one to Helbindi. Both are honorable characters, but they still had to suffer quite a lot because of Surtr.

54 minutes ago, Mercakete said:

Are...you forgetting all the times Anna did stuff? I agree that Sharena doesn't do a lot, but that seems in-character; she's just not a brainy character. Anna seems to be the one making decisions in-battle (i.e., when to press forward and when to retreat. She also is the one everyone reports to, and has the final call on things, even if she goes with someone else's plan.) Meanwhile, Alfonse has come up with a few clever ideas, and so seems the most creative of the three regarding battle tactics. His mind's flexible and considers off-the-wall options no one else does, while Anna's role is more geared toward making judgement calls. Sharena, meanwhile, is more "the heart" and makes everyone who comes into the army feel welcome. However, the player also assumes all three roles by virtue of being the player.

The point is that Anna does plenty. It's just things that don't stick out because she's not really the ideas person, and normally, what she says is things along the lines of "here's the situation, so here's what we're going to do" following the basic options of "press forward," "go another way," "retreat," etc. Of course, that's another thing that kind of bothers me about Anna; it should be the royals making the calls while she commands the actual army, imo, but Askr's decided to handle things differently, so I'll let them do their thing.

Yeah, that was rhetorical. I know Anna was there and did stuff.

Laegjarn. First, it was because of that smile but she ended up being a decent character so big plus.

Also Kiran. IDK I just find think he's really cool, and not because "I'm the summoner muhuhuhu". Also, I normally don't like idiot characters but I absolutely love his depiction in the manga as well.

The Summoner mainly because of his being depicted as a hilarious joke in the manga, in addition to being involved in often identifiable memes somehow.

I do like Sharena and Anna. For the case of Anna, she may be my most favorite version of her since she's different from Annas of other games. Fjorm has a great design but is very flat as a character. I want to like Gunnthra and Laegjarn but they easily represent the worst part of Book 2 (namely that whole "capture Laegjarn" arc and Gunnthra dying in the story). And I never had luck pulling Gunnthra and eventually stopped bothering to pull for her, especially once Legend Lyn got released and became, so far, the only Legendary Hero who has came home to me.

I'd credit Alfonse, Helbindi and Laegjarn as being the most developed and agreeable, but Laegjarn is my favorite.

Many have discounted her as "the Camus" because it's a familiar story/character trope in Fire Emblem, but I think she has traits that make her stand out from others in the archetype. Apart from the nobility Camus' often show, Laegjarn proves to be a cunning commander who immediately detects the heroes' misdirection, and is able to escape after being captured. She also shows a great deal of compassion and patience for her sister, trying to teach her critical thinking and keeping her safe, even at the expense of her own life. There is a strong human element here that I think many characters in FEH lack.

What makes her an especially good Camus is that she doesn't serve a evil despot because of 'muh loyalty', rather it's to protect her sister from her mad father. Surtr's apparent immortality and extreme brutality also creates justification for why Laegjarn wouldn't even consider turning on him, where other Camus' would be less justified.

Her appearances in the manga are incredibly wholesome.

3 hours ago, Mercakete said:

Are...you forgetting all the times Anna did stuff? I agree that Sharena doesn't do a lot, but that seems in-character; she's just not a brainy character. Anna seems to be the one making decisions in-battle (i.e., when to press forward and when to retreat.

While she technically 'does stuff', I find that hard to really attribute that to her character. She's the leader, but she doesn't contribute any ideas or direction to the group. She's basically the commander of scene transitions, telling the group to move forward or back based on the flow of the battles. She's a neutral voice because the plot doesn't want to elevate Alfonse higher than Sharena for leadership and Kiran doesn't have a voice.

I have a hard time calling any of them my "favourite". Helbindi is a possibility I guess, who despite the heavy-handed way in which they designed him is kinda adorable. It's telling that I even considered Laegjarn because I consider Camuses to be stupid, both as individuals and as an archetype. I like her hair though. And if I had to round out the podium, I guess I'll go Bruno, though I disliked his pointless appearances in Book 2.

On the opposite end of the spectrum, Anna. I genuinely think it was a mistake to incorporate her into the story at all, and she stifles the character development of both Alfonse and Sharena. Anna should have just been an orb store mascot or whatever. Maybe they should write her out like they did Virion and replace her in the Order of Heroes with Helbindi. :P Other members of the "generally dislike" bucket are Veronica (might be because of TT1, though I enjoyed her telling Ylgr to shut up), Loki ("haha, look at me, I'm so capricious"), Laevatein (as smart as a sack of bricks, but with worse hair), and obviously Surtr.

I like Gunnthra's design and unit type but the story did her dirty.

I like Laegjarn's design and she's a decent enough mobile Camus but like... she kind of just fizzled out at the end.

I like Hrid and Alfonse purely for waifu purposes.

I wouldn't describe any of them as favourites but they're the least boring/most attractive OCs to me.

5 hours ago, Mercakete said:

it should be the royals making the calls while she commands the actual army, imo, but Askr's decided to handle things differently, so I'll let them do their thing.

Alfonse and Sharena are serving in the Order under Anna's chain of command, therefore, Anna is the one making the calls.

For example, in real life, Prince Harry does not make the calls when he was serving in the military, despite having a higher social standing than the generals. However, once he is outside the military and he is no longer under the general's chain of command, he can then use his status to order the military around (assuming he becomes king).

Edited by XRay

1 hour ago, XRay said:

Alfonse and Sharena are serving in the Order under Anna's chain of command, therefore, Anna is the one making the calls.

For example, in real life, Prince Harry does not make the calls when he was serving in the military, despite having a higher social standing than the generals. However, once he is outside the military and he is no longer under the general's chain of command, he can then use his status to order the military around (assuming he becomes king).

While this is true, I just don't like the complexity in relationship this creates, so it's entirely personal preference. I like clearly-organized structures. In this case, answering the question of "who has authority?" rather than "who has authority in this particular instance?" I.e., diplomatically, Alfonse and Sharena have the greater authority, being the potentially future rulers. (Not sure if Alfonse is the crown prince, but he probably is since he's older.) So, it's appropriate for Anna to step back when things like country-to-country alliances come up, and Heroes actually displays this subtlety very well, I think. But all that to say that my preference is to make things as clearly-defined as possible and preempt confusion on who has authority when.

3 hours ago, NekoKnight said:

Many have discounted her as "the Camus" because it's a familiar story/character trope in Fire Emblem, but I think she has traits that make her stand out from others in the archetype. Apart from the nobility Camus' often show, Laegjarn proves to be a cunning commander who immediately detects the heroes' misdirection, and is able to escape after being captured. She also shows a great deal of compassion and patience for her sister, trying to teach her critical thinking and keeping her safe, even at the expense of her own life. There is a strong human element here that I think many characters in FEH lack.

What makes her an especially good Camus is that she doesn't serve a evil despot because of 'muh loyalty', rather it's to protect her sister from her mad father. Surtr's apparent immortality and extreme brutality also creates justification for why Laegjarn wouldn't even consider turning on him, where other Camus' would be less justified.

Exactly! And even beyond all that, she treats people with as much dignity and fairness as she's allowed to, from the people of Nifl that Muspel conquered to her enemies in combat, to Helbindi, giving him an out when she knew that he was going to die for nothing if he stuck around.

On top of that she still take on herself protect such as Hellbindi from Sutr too. It wasn't something she needed to do or probably even good idea. This is what was actually put her above most Camus for me (along side of best character design among them and her intelllect.)

Edited by Tenzen12

I think they're all rather weak, though the Nifl characters, Laev and Surtr especially so. It becomes more a process of trying to pick the one that does the least wrong while also feeling like they offer... Anything of substance. 

I guess I'd like Veronica the most because she's got something resembling an arc and growth, which is interesting. Yes, she's still a murderous little child that doesn't deserve the sympathy the heroes give her, but at least something'happening there. 

Fjorm deserves a special mention for how devoid of anything she is, and they made kind of a big deal out of her. She's just another kind princess with so little going on that Anna is the one who has to remind us that she doesn't like Surtr. 

I voted for Veronica because she's cute in the manga.

Honorary mention to Fjorm, Laegjarn, and Laevatein for their designs and also being cute in the manga. Slightly less honorable mention to Gunnthra for sleepy sidesaddle.

2 hours ago, Mercakete said:

While this is true, I just don't like the complexity in relationship this creates, so it's entirely personal preference.

Militaries have strict chains of command by necessity. As long as Alfonse and Sharena are serving in the military, their status outside of the military doesn't matter at all. There is no ambiguity or complexity.

Gotta vote Helbindi even though he and Veronica are probably pretty neck and neck. Alfonse is my favorite of the Askr trio, so he'd get an honorable mention. Bruno was a favorite, but I can't justify liking him for anything beyond his design at this point. No shame; I still want him. Same goes for Hrid I suppose. I like his design, but he's just another protagonist with zero personality other than, "I'm good. And evil is bad. Let's brood over it together and pretend it looks heroic." 

I will say that Laegjarn's popularity surprises me a little bit. But I can appreciate a Camus that camuses for family instead country. Makes me wonder if she'll be the one to stand a chance at getting a CYL alt next year.