Anything I should know?

So, I bought FE Echoes earlier today,  And I haven't started playing it yet. I was just wondering if you guys have any useful Tips that will help me with the game or something, (No spoilers, As I haven't started yet) I've only played Birthright before, And I know this game has different mechanics then it, But I've always enjoyed new experiences. (The only characters I know of are the main two + the villagers)

Magic negates terrain so its all base hits.

Every character has a magic list (and I mean everyone minus Alm) and can learn certain spells.

If you're playing through this for fun then don't worry about level ups, but if you do want to have a highly powerful postgame team then put all the male villagers and mercenaries through the mercenary line at least once for more levelups and the levelup loop since the mercenary tier 3 promotes back into villager.

There is no weapon triangle only weapon stats, and not all bows are effective against fliers so item descriptions help in some cases.

Besides that I can't think of anything else the game wouldn't tell you so enjoy. Echoes is among my top 3 fire emblems so I hope tat shows how good it can be.

Researching the original game is something you could do for fun to notice the similarities and differences between the two games, although it is far from necessary. Anyway, from the top of my head:

• A character only needs to be one speed higher than their opponent to double.
  • Instead of granting extra stats, promotion instead raises a characters stats to the classes base. So if a character has higher speed than the base stats of the class in question, they aren't gaining anything. If a character is higher in every single stat, they only get a hp boost, as well as any skills the class may provide. Basically, it's a good idea to promote immediately.
  • The cast is very small, and you can field everyone on the map, with the exception of dungeons and the final level.
  • Don't bench anyone. Even if they aren't turning out well, a character can still have a use.
  • On that same note, expect the game to see a lot of good level ups... a lot of times where your stat only goes up by one. Fortunately, 0 stat growths aren't a thing in this game.
  • Magic hits like a truck in this game. This applies to both you and the enemies, so be weary of being ganged up or trapped by an arcanist or cantor, and use magic to the fullest advantage on your end.
  • Speaking of magic, it costs HP to cast it in this game. This is much, much less scary than it sounds.
  • Clerics sacrifice some of their hp to heal other units. However, they also have Nosferatu, and can gain that heath back. It has a 60% to hit at all times, though.
  • A reason magic is so powerful in this game is because the terrain bonuses are the highest in the series. Gravestones give a 60% for example
  • Archers can attack at melee range as well as from a much greater distance than in previous games. Equipped with a bow, snipers and bow knights can attack from 5 squares away! This does come at the cost; they are very inaccurate.
  • There is no weapon triangle in this game, so both you and the enemy will be on even ground.
  • The game uses a single RNG (it basically only rolls one "100 sided 'dice'"  instead of the normal two as it is in other Fire Emblem games. Basically, the hit percentage is your actual chance to hit the enemy). Expect both you and the enemy to miss a lot.
  • The enemy rarely has luck, so expect to activate critical hits a lot more often than you think you would. Don't be surprised to see enemies survive most of them, though.
  • Cantors can summon units. However, killing the summoner kills all the monsters as well. If they're on the map, be careful of blindly rushing forward or turtle-ing. Doing the former will most likely have these summoned monsters gang up on one unit, while the latter strategy will only have you fighting through hordes of enemy units. Try your best to use "cutting the head of the snake" tactics with them.
  • Witches can teleport around the map, but their A.I. is random (there is a clever story reason for this, but it's never said outright). Their ultimate saving grace is how pitifully easy they are to defeat, but don't let that fool you; they can and will make a good move every now and again and put one of your units in danger.
  • You are limited to bringing in only 10 units to dungeons. These are where you can grind, find treasure and weapons, and more.
  • Supports are pretty limited, but to make up for it, several characters provide a small bonus to another ones, while some have the traditional C-B-A ranks.
  • You get Mila's turnwheel very early on. It allows you to go back in time to any, and I mean any previous time in the map. You have limited uses per level, so don't overuse it, but it alone makes classic mode viable even for a first time player.

- The game has several Easter eggs with the fact that you can actually choose to ignore recruiting certain units.

- Speaking of which, certain deaths can affect the ending of another character, often giving them a tragic turn.

- There's a moment in the game were you have the choice between attacking two different units. If you pay attention to the wording of a mercenary you rescue, attacking one will cause the other to retreat and betray their boss. Basically, attack the person you do NOT want to recruit!

Sorry if that was an information overload, but don't worry. You'll catch on quickly. If it helps any, think of Fire Emblem Echoes as putting a twist on a normal series conventions.

Most of all, have fun with the game!

I keep reading Valentia as Valentina  Thanks everyone! Some things that stick out to me:

Only needing 1 more speed to double - Seems like it'd be easy to double or be doubled

No weapon triangle - How odd, Don't most other FE games have the WT?

Some deaths affecting other characters - Interesting...

(I'm going to start playing in a little bit)

1. Bows are amazing.
  2. I recommend making Faye a cleric as she has certain special capabilities others can't get. Kliff as an archer beats Leon and Python. Dunno about Tobin.
  3. Dreadfighters can grow infinitely as they can reclass back to base
  4. Some maps are very challenging or have challenging layouts. Some have certain handicapping features (poison tiles for example).
  5. You can grind with encounters on the overworld map.
  6. Unlike in other FE games, there are a few sidequests you can do. There's also town navigation.
  7. I forget if there's a boots item, but I recommend using it on Celica. For some reason she has less than normal movement. At least when promoted iirc
  8. When you get to postgame, expect it to be hell. Especially on the lower floors.
  9. Enjoy the music. Alm's act 1 theme - the only exception I can think of right away - will get old VERY fast. 
Edited by Arcphoenix

• I'd say the only characters you should turn into mages or clerics are those who can reclass into it naturally (basically only villagers) or those who start as either of those classes.  So making Faye into a cleric is good (some would even consider it optimal), and turning Delthea into a cleric via a villager fork isn't a horrible idea.  Everyone else has lackluster spell lists.
  • Growth rates are quite a bit worse in this game compared to in Fire Emblem Fates.  They're better than in the original Gaiden, but even then it's still pretty standard to not often get more than three stat ups (and when they do get three stat ups, they express elated surprise).  There are a few exceptions to this, such as the protagonists (Alm is a growth monster), Kliff, and the whitewing sisters.  But generally speaking, don't expect their stats to grow much beyond twenty unless they're really good.
  • Anyone who is a liability (has low defenses) is best off as an archer or cleric (depending on gender).  Because of archers' crazy ranges, they won't often be facing the brunt of attacks, and clerics have nosferatu which is health-absorption magic that doesn't cost HP to cast (it only has a 50% hit rate no matter what, but that's not the absolute worst).
  • Like has been stated before, Dread Fighters can level infinitely.  This is known as the "Dread Fighter loop", and it works because the promotion system works like this for them: villager > mercenary > myrmidon > dread fighter > villager.  No other class can do this, so it could be a great way to level up your male villagers without limit, or at least to boost their speed and skill stats a ton so that they can pretty much double anything and hit more frequently.
  • Also, if you reclass back to villager, the only stat that goes down is typically movement unless the unit is reclassing from the soldier class line (those classes all have sucky movement).
  • It might be a better idea to only use your money to evolve weapons into other weapons, e.g. turning a silver sword into a brave sword.  You can make the three Arcanean Regalia (Gradivus, Mercurius, and Parthia) this way, and those are all pretty powerful weapons.  Some of these evolutions require weapons to be upgraded to a certain level.
  • Personal recommendation, definitely use Catria.  She doesn't start off quite as strong as Palla and may need a bit of help, but she becomes a real THWOMP if you actually train her.  Palla's a good unit as well, being both tanky and mobile (sort of like Scarlet or Camilla).  And Est has the potential to become extremely good, but needs grinding to get there.
7 hours ago, MyLuckyHaiku said:

If you haven't figured this out yet, this game is something of a black sheep of the Fire Emblem franchise.

It's a remake of the Famicom title, Fire Emblem Gaiden, which was released in 1992 in Japan only.  This was only the second game in the series, and was rather experimental.  So that's why some things may seem weird or out of place for a Fire Emblem game.

12 hours ago, MyLuckyHaiku said:

Only needing 1 more speed to double - Seems like it'd be easy to double or be doubled

It's actually more surprising to see a battle where someone doesn't double.

11 hours ago, Arcphoenix said:

I recommend making Faye a cleric as she has certain special capabilities others can't get. Kliff as an archer beats Leon and Python. Dunno about Tobin.

Oh my gosh, I forgot about that! Faye as a cleric is one of the best decisions you can make on Alm's route. A healer with physic is not to be underestimated!

4 hours ago, Ertrick36 said:

It might be a better idea to only use your money to evolve weapons into other weapons, e.g. turning a silver sword into a brave sword.  You can make the three Arcanean Regalia (Gradivus, Mercurius, and Parthia) this way, and those are all pretty powerful weapons.  Some of these evolutions require weapons to be upgraded to a certain level.

Speaking of which, this is probably the most balanced implementation of forging in the entire series. Don't be afraid to put some money into upgrading weapons; they become even more useful without ever becoming overpowered.

12 hours ago, MyLuckyHaiku said:

The first three games didn't have the weapon triangle, and in Gaiden, axes were enemy only. Unlike in Shadow Dragon/Mystery of the Emblem, where every weapon was present and only a few changes could implement the triangle without much problem in the remakes, everyone only had one weapon in Gaiden. Rather than add more characters than needed or altering the games structure, IS decided to keep this oddity in Echoes.

You shouldn't worry it to much. What it ultimately means is that both you and your enemies will be on pretty even-ground with hit rates, so expect the enemy to hit a lot more often that you may be used to and for you to miss a lot more often than in other games.

As for some more tips I forgot about:

• There is no such thing as "No damage" in this game (a DLC class has this ability, but trust me, you won't be reaching the requirements for it anytime soon). Instead, if an attack hits, even if the unit has higher defense than their opponents attack, it will do exactly 1 damage. This allows tanks to keep their role but allowing them to be whittled down.
  • Brave swords function more like killing edges than the typical brave weapons. They can't double, but they have a useful crit boost.
  • When you get Ridersbane, give it to Clair. Trust me, that weapon will be extremely useful on her.
  • Weapon weight is a thing, and fortunately, it's a simple speed penalty, so it's not complicated to understand at all.
  • Also, weapons don't have durability. Expect to only get one version of certain weapons, though.
  • Mages gain more spells to use as they level up.
  • Magic also has fixed hit rates. It can be altered slightly by a few stats and support bonuses, but not by much.
  • It has a high HP cost, but all three of your natural healers (as Faye has multiple class options) can learn to summon their own expandable units. Two of them get it really late (to the point you make have to unlock it in the post-game), but one of them gets the ability early on. It becomes less useful as the game carries on, but they can serve as a great distraction and as a way to draw fire away from your no-so-expendable characters.

- The last villager you recruit in the game starts off at level ten, and can promote immediately. The rub is that despite a dungeon being a few steps above you, you cannot go up there unless you go through the desert levels first, unless you want certain characters to leave your party (fortunately, they can be re-recruited if you do this by accident). You can go back to an earlier shrine if you wish, although expect a few levels to become a bit harder as they become reinforced with more enemy units.

- Said villager has high HP and Strength... and little else. Making them a mercenary fixes their speed and skill problems, but you get them on a route that already has three mercenaries. He won't hit much as an archer, but everything that connects will hurt. He only has three spells as a mage, and two of them are the ones that every mage gets, but the one spell he does have has some good range and hits like a truck, and his high HP means he can cast it frequently without much trouble. Don't make him a cavalier or a soldier, as the terrain for the maps they're in aren't friendly to either class.

- You may have heard it elsewhere that the map design is lackluster. This is true from a certain point of view. Personally, I find it best to think of the maps less as "levels" and more as "you're really fighting in a forest" or "you're really taking over a castle". In that way, forest maps feel like they're actual wooded ares, with it being difficult to hit the enemy, instead of "this map has a lot of trees". Similarly, when attacking a castle, you will have to earn every single inch of ground, whereas in most other games, it seems "this level has castle aesthetics".

Edit: Oh Yeah! Amiibo work with this game! Alm and Celica can sacrifice some HP to summon a temporary ally from an amiibo. If it's a Fire Emblem related character, they summon said character, so you can have Ike, Lucina, Corrin, and Robin join the fight. If you use a non-Fire emblem amiibo, it just summons a generic unit, although the class will vary. The Alm and Celica amiibos unlock specific dungeons, by the way.

Edited by Hawkwing

2 hours ago, Hawkwing said:

so you can have Ike, Lucina, Corrin, and Robin join the fight. 

Roy's compatible too. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the non Smash ones (Smash 4 specifically) and non-Echoes ones won't work. Only Chrom and Tiki come to mind for this. Dunno if others are out there

Edited by Arcphoenix

you can use all FE amiibos except for Chrom and Tiki, since they got released much later and i don't think they got patched in.

in case you'll need more infos on compatible amiibos, here's some sources:

https://fireemblemechoes.nintendo.com/amiibo/ » general infos.

https://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2017/05/19/heres-what-your-amiibo-collection-gets-you-in-fire-emblem-echoes.aspx » list of other amiibo unit types.

as for FE ones, i believe the most useful would be either Marth or Lucina, due to what they can actually do in a certain situation.

Edited by Fenreir

17 hours ago, Landmaster said:

You will be doing a LOT of grinding and you can only promote at Mila Shrines, rather than whenever you want, so just be mindful~

Honestly, I really don't think there should be a need to ever grind at all in this game. This game is very well paced in that regard.

Also, unless I missed it no one mentioned that enemy reinforcements can appear on the overworld map that will try to chase you down. They can team up with existing forces on the map or ambush you if they move into you.

Edited by BrightBow

Let’s see 

Early Promoting is generally the best way to go, personally I like to get a few extra levels in but that’s just me 

Postgame doesn’t require a team of maxed out Looped DFs, you’ll probably be fine even with promoting fairly early 

enemy witches tend to teleport to party members separated from the main group and lag behind others 

terrain bonuses are huge, this is why magic has static hit rates 

Resistance is pretty much static, most characters have a growth from 1-8%, so it’s all down to luck. Think of it like a random blessing from the gods or something.

Support bonuses are nice and I’ve never needed to go out of my way to build a support, although I forget the exact range the support bonuses extend out, maybe 3 tiles?

weapons that are generally regarded as good weapons:

Brave sword (high crit, no weight, and decent 9 might when fully forged)

Killer bow (high crit, hunters volley is OP as hell, but a pretty hefty weight penalty of 4 when unforced and 2 at max forge, but with hunters volley speed isn’t much of a concern) evolve from a 1 star silver, which you can evolve from a 1 star steel, which you can get from evolving a 1 star iron 

Zweihander (decent stats but has great combat arts, ESPECIALLY Tigerstance, which adds your skill stat to your attack) evolve from a 2 star steel sword 

One weapon i think is quite good is the Rhomphaia. It’s got a pretty hefty weight and you need to forge your one ridersbane into it, but the Dragonhaze art is great (adds speed to attack). But the price of forgoing the ridersbane is a pretty hefty toll.

i forget the exact price needed to get these weapons and forge them, but I do know most require gold marks to either make or fully forge so it may not be feasible to get them all right away.

51 minutes ago, BrightBow said:

Honestly, I really don't think there should be a need to ever grind at all in this game. This game is very well paced in that regard.

I'm the type to want all of my main units to be promoted so I spent a large amount of time going back and forth to grind. 

Not to mention DLC grinding but that's probably not relevant during the main story.

This is my favourite favourite FE games :)

On Alm's side. (I want to say this is chapter 4), you have a chance to go left to a village or right to a shrine. GO RIGHT. If you go left you miss out on two characters.  - and if you like min/maxing you can actually use your two pitch-forks on them, and have them do the loop.. They become so Godly. I think.

If you have the DLC - I like using the Emma/Randall for Team Celica and the other two for team Alm. (It just make sense due to the map mobility). 

3 minutes ago, daisy jane said:

This is my favourite favourite FE games :)

On Alm's side. (I want to say this is chapter 4), you have a chance to go left to a village or right to a shrine. GO RIGHT. If you go left you miss out on two characters.  - and if you like min/maxing you can actually use your two pitch-forks on them, and have them do the loop.. They become so Godly. I think.

If you have the DLC - I like using the Emma/Randall for Team Celica and the other two for team Alm. (It just make sense due to the map mobility). 

This is also my favorite fe!

Yes it is act four on alms side  you want to go right to the shrine and the other place there

do not go left you want to go right

really about anyone can become godly with the pitchforks  

Edited by DisobeyedCargo

2 minutes ago, DisobeyedCargo said:

This is also my favorite fe!

Yes it is act four you want to go right 

do not go left you want to go right

really about anyone can become godly with the pitchforks  

This is very true. LOL. 
I never did the Lucas/Forsthye loop. People suggested it. 
I always wanted to do Mathilda, but twice i ended up with a beast - even without it. 

i'm trying to think of other advice. 
For me both times i spent a lot of time in the DLC trying to get money and cool weapons. 
Ladyblades are amazing (you get one in the game but it's near the end. my 2nd playthrough all of my Priestesses haad Ladysblades. it was so awesome). 
When you refine weapons... You could do the dagger (for Celica) or you can do the Ladyblade. (again if you're grinding up through DLC, you might get some extras). I never did the dagger because I think that's the only one you get in the game, and i just liked Ladysblade on Celica better. 

Rhomphaia's are amazing. (COSTLY but amazing). 
You can also make Legendary Weapons but they cost a TONNE. 

(this is making me wanna charge up my 3ds and play). 

23 minutes ago, daisy jane said:

Well, That's a good thing I went right.

Also I just promoted Alm yesterday, Is it worth it to give him a 

Spoiler

Bow? Or should he keep using the Royal Sword?

19 minutes ago, MyLuckyHaiku said:

Hide contents

Yes. 
my first playthrough i didn't give him anything. 

Spoiler

Second time (as I had him maxed out on the Royal Sword v. quickly), I gave him a Hunter's Bow. 
deadly with either weapon :)

but you want to make sure you max out his skills on Royal Sword as well because it's a necessity for the final boss

Edited by daisy jane

38 minutes ago, MyLuckyHaiku said:

Hide contents

Spoiler

I usually stick with the royal sword because double lion is such a good art. But something like a killer bow is definitely an option seeing he has convoy access and can switch between the two 

Spoiler

Also scendscale while useful has a heavy HP cost and the final boss uses magic with high attack and might so Alm might be able to be one shot after the scendscale hp cost.

and it’s the art the royal sword and the weapon daisy jane is talking about share.

Edited by DisobeyedCargo

23 hours ago, MyLuckyHaiku said:

Hide contents

Spoiler

Alm has access to the convoy, so he can switch between the two in a given situation. I usually stick to the Royal sword, but there are times when I gave him a bow, whether to attack or counter-attack enemies from a range without Scendscale.

I personally give him the Blessed Bow when switching. Partially because it can heal him, but also because it does extra damage against monster units.

Spoiler

This is a story/gameplay spoiler, by the way. It's not huge one in either category. but it is a surprise you may want to see for yourself.

Spoiler

Right before the final level (to get an idea of what kind of spoiler it will be):

Spoiler

Alm has a solo section. I believe the point of this is to give him some extra levels before fighting the final boss, as he has to deal the final blow to the final boss (some easter eggs will work, but good luck with those). Anyway, he will have to fight some high level monsters on his own, and while I've never failed this section, it can be difficult. The terrain changes, with walls rising and falling, and recovery spots appearing and disappearing. I don't know if there's a pattern to this, but prepare to improvise constantly. Fortunately, Alm has full access to the convoy. Don't be afraid to spend a turn just healing him with food, or switching out his weapon if you deem it practical.

Also, this part manages to be both very boring and very awesome. Seeing a single unit fight against a horde of enemies on their own is as exhilarating as it sounds.

Well, kinda late to the party, but about the turnwheel, beyond allowing you to fix mistakes, it also allows to reroll many things pertaining to the rng. This most notably includes:

- Crits

- Witch behavior

- The amount of enemies a cantor summons, or illusions for your own units & their positioning

- The amount of terrors the Expel spell instant kills

- Enemy behavior in general

As a result and since the game gives you a ton of charges, what looks like a purely defensive tool can actually be used offensively as well.

• 3 weeks later...

I thought someone would have mentioned this by now, but in the last battle in chapter 3 on Alm's side, there's a mage among the enemy you do NOT want to kill. She's liable to warp over and attack a straggler, so beware. That being said, having Alm use Subdue on her and blocking her from running should prevent her from troubling you for the rest of the map (she leaves once the boss dies).