New Gen 8 Pokemon officially revealed! Meltan!

Water Mage

Ah, finally Gen VIII stuff, huh.

Hmm, that's an interesting looking fellow. I'd say, I find the design familiar, but I can't really place what exactly it's reminding me of. Maybe I'll remember eventually...

1 hour ago, Dai said:

In all likelihood, it's considered 'ugly cute'. A lot of things that shouldn't be considered cute are. Kingdom Heart's shadows, Teeny Sanguini's from Dragon Quest, the eponymous Metroid species...I can see why people think it's cute. I'm just more amazed that it's actually a legendary.

Yeah, that is true.

56 minutes ago, Glennstavos said:

This little guy is Meltin' my heart!

Well not really. So is this the new mythical pokemon they promised to have in Let's Go?

Twitter video confirms this, yes.

I'm unreasonably mad at it because I didn't know what it was and burned a Golden Razz on it.

That thing looks like something I'd trip over, and isn't my idea of cute.  But to each their own, I guess.

Yeah, I don’t care for this thing either. It looks like something that belongs in a Mario game. Gen 8 is kinda off to a bad start with the reveal of its first Pokémon, but there’s still time to show off better ones.

I actually really like the design but... not as a Mythical. Gen 7 hit us hard with Marshadow, Zeraora and Magearna all being very solid design wise and concept-wise, and every other before then was always a pretty unique Pokemon. This might be taking the "Small Mythical with 100 in every stat" approach a step too far towards lot really looking too special. Hopefully this thing either breaks the trend of Mythicals not evolving with a good evolution or has an alternate form, because I just can't see this design being a Mythical on it's own frankly.

Its seemingly molten body makes the possibility of this having some other form, whether it be an ability, evolution, or otherwise, seem pretty likely to me, but who knows.

Edited by Emerson

2 minutes ago, Emerson said:

I actually really like the design but... not as a Mythical. Gen 7 hit us hard with Marshadow, Zeraora and Magearna all being very solid design wise and concept-wise, and every other before then was always a pretty unique Pokemon. This might be taking the "Small Mythical with 100 in every stat" approach a step too far towards lot really looking too special. Hopefully this thing either breaks the trend of Mythicals not evolving with a good evolution or has an alternate form, because I just can't see this design being a Mythical on it's own frankly.

Its seemingly molten body makes the possibility of this having some other form, whether it be an ability, evolution, or otherwise, seem pretty likely to me, but who knows.

They did already  break the legendarys not evolving mold with cosmog so I could definitely see that as a possibility  

8 minutes ago, DisobeyedCargo said:

They did already  break the legendarys not evolving mold with cosmog so I could definitely see that as a possibility  

Yeah, exactly. In any case, if this thing is actually Dex no. 891 (i forget the exact number, it's around 890 though)...
Shit, we're getting sub 100 Pokemon again this gen. Oh well. Hopefully we get some more Regional forms, that'd be cool to see come around every Gen as something new for older mons.

I do not fuck with this design

When it started showing up in pokemon go and people starting posting it, I legit thought it was a deformed castform model or something 

But meh, I didn't really like the Ultra Beasts either, so maybe I'm in the minority

On 9/25/2018 at 5:11 PM, Dai said:

It's still just odd in that, like...it's a nut stuck in a pile of goop with a cable poking out. Maybe not the strangest thing, but it just...doesn't mesh as well to me.

Yeah, this. Just not my idea of cute as eclipse put it.

Okay, so a bunch more speculation fodder for Meltan at the end of this video.

Also, the method for catching in GO has been confirmed: You have to send a pokemon to Let's Go while having a mystery box, which will cause it to sow up for a half hour.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been playing too much Kingdom Hearts lately. The little nut section in the middle of its body is making me giggle.

I feel bad its "eye/face" is kinda...submerged.

Melmetal is still a pure Steel-type (making it the seventh pure-Steel type in the series), and it has Double Iron Bash as it's signature move. Meltan is indeed the first Mythical to evolve, but apparently it can only evolve within GO.

I love that you can literally only get this thing in Go? That's certainly not going to go (pun not intended) over well with a lot of people. Especially at FOUR-HUNDRED CANDIES.

1 hour ago, Dai said:

I love that you can literally only get this thing in Go? That's certainly not going to go (pun not intended) over well with a lot of people. Especially at FOUR-HUNDRED CANDIES.

Where did anyone say it needs 400 candies? Is there confirmation at all? If so, that is too much, I agree. I don't think any of the 400 candy evolutions should've required that much.