New Gen 8 Pokemon officially revealed! Meltan!

Water Mage

Since I placed spoilers in the title, I don’t think this thread will need spoiler tags, anyway looks like someone messed up at Niantic messed up and the new Pokemon was leaked:

DnmGclRUcAEZPty.png

Look like it might be the new cute Legendary and it seems to be at least a Steel type.

EDIT: It was officially revealed and it’s called Meltan! Seems to be the new cute legendary.

Edited by Water Mage

8 minutes ago, Sarracenia said:

A gold hex nut with a black sphere in the middle that looks like it was cut and pasted onto the image of a clay figure.  I think this is fake.

Actually it’s not really fake. The image was directly ripped from the Pokemon Go app.

7 hours ago, Sarracenia said:

Found some more information about it today.  It appeared like a regular Pokemon does in Pokemon Go after Community Day in Europe and Asia.  When caught it changes into Ditto.

Yeah I just caught a couple and they were both dittos. And I'm in the US, so it doesn't appear region locked.

4 hours ago, Anacybele said:

It may be a placeholder for Kecleon. Reports say it uses Kecleon's cry. I hope this isn't the unknown new Pokemon for Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee though, this thing looks weird as fuck to me.

It's not a placeholder. It's clearly intentional at this point. It's actually been showing up in PGO, although when caught it turns into a Ditto, and the head of marketing for PGO has been talking about it on Twitter, indicting it's actually a tease and not a mistake.

In any case, no one would ever make a completely new model for a placeholder, at least not one with the level of detail this one has (Textures and full animations). Plus there's literally no good reason why they'd ever have to use a placeholder for Kecleon when they've likely had the model and its animations available since they began work on the game, or at least long before now.

2 minutes ago, Emerson said:

It's not a placeholder. It's clearly intentional at this point. It's actually been showing up in PGO, although when caught it turns into a Ditto, and the head of marketing for PGO has been talking about it on Twitter, indicting it's actually a tease and not a mistake.

In any case, no one would ever make a completely new model for a placeholder, at least not one with the level of detail this one has (Textures and full animations). Plus there's literally no good reason why they'd ever have to use a placeholder for Kecleon when they've likely had the model and its animations available since they began work on the game, or at least long before now.

I KNOW it's actually been showing up in GO. But yeah, all true.

It looks... ugly af. On the one hand it might be like with the gen VI mons where it took me what? 2 years to get used to them and recognize some of them had a good design (still going through a similar process with gen VII mons lol); on the other hand... how the hell could this ever look cute to anyone? I mean, if you find Beldum and Bronzor cute then yeah, but...

Edited by Koumal8

It...doesn't look like a Pokemon? Mind you, I said that when Charjabug (is that how it's spelt, idk its been a while since I played SM) was leaked.

It's kinda cute, I guess, but a bit of a let down.

2 hours ago, Anacybele said:

Cute new legendary my ass. Thing isn't cute at all imo. It's ugly and looks like some little kid's fan Pokemon. Extremely disappointed. The next cutesy legendary has to be something else.

Appearance is highly subjective. Plus the internet seems to be loving it! I’m pretty sure it’s the new cute legendary.

3 minutes ago, Water Mage said:

Appearance is highly subjective. Plus the internet seems to be loving it! I’m pretty sure it’s the new cute legendary.

...People like this weird random looking thing? Ew. And it isn't the cute type, not like Mew or Meloetta or whatever. Those legendaries are more.. I guess feminine? Cute is normally used for small feminine things with largish eyes and all.

Edited by Anacybele

43 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

...People like this weird random looking thing? Ew. And it isn't the cute type, not like Mew or Meloetta or whatever. Those legendaries are more.. I guess feminine? Cute is normally used for small feminine things with largish eyes and all.

In all likelihood, it's considered 'ugly cute'. A lot of things that shouldn't be considered cute are. Kingdom Heart's shadows, Teeny Sanguini's from Dragon Quest, the eponymous Metroid species...I can see why people think it's cute. I'm just more amazed that it's actually a legendary.

So, this is confirmed. I kind of wonder if the Ditto link is intended like Diancie and Carbink, with it possibly being a callback to the Ditto evo from the GS Beta.

I'll be honest and agree with Ana on not being a fan of the design. It's probably that it barely has a face if even that.