When did you start feeling like an adult (if you ever have)?

Jotari

When did you start feeling like an adult?  

50 members have voted

1. 1. When did you start feeling like an adult?

2. 2. What life milestones made you feel more like an adult?

• Having a job
    • Buying a car
    • Buying a house
    • Losing my virginity (is that too private to ask? Don't feel compelled to answer if it is)
    • Living with a partner
    • Having a child
    • Going to college
    • Moving out of my parents house
    • Finally becoming President of the United States
    • Nothing as of yet.
    • First time someone important to me died
    • Finally beating Thracia 776

In some respects I matured a lot faster than my peers. I was working at 13/14 and was already planning for the future. But even now at 21 I still don't feel like an "adult" as such. Even with a fairly long-term relationship and plans with that for the future plus regular income, I'm not sure I'm ever going to truly feel like an adult.

I've never grown out of playing games, splashing out on random/cute things and social anxiety which were all things I just assumed I'd eventually stop doing.

I'm 22, I moved out from my parents house few years ago, and I still don't feel like a full on adult? Like I look back at when I still stayed with my parents, and I can tell that I did so many stupid things back then, and I do feel like I grown a lot from my high school self into me right now, but still....I can't look at myself right now and be like "this is what an adult should be like : )"

I feel like I will fully feel like an adult when I start a family tbh? So I guess "Having a child" and "  Living with a partner" are my milestones. 

Now that you added milestones...

Going to college honestly feels like a School expansion pack thing, like a post-story part of the game. You do the same, but it's harder and you have to grind money for yourself to stay there too. You have a sense of freedom, but it's limited because of what your parents taught you when you were a kid.

I have a friend who had to mature psychologically faster because of his unresponsive family, so he learned live alone quicker. He currently is about to get married and has a son. He always says that adulthood should be felt whenever you're ready. Not because of age.

24 and I still don't. In fact, I feel like a spoiled, sheltered piece of shit who can't do anything on his own most of the time and only is able to accomplish anything because of his privileged background and if it wasn't for that wouldn't have done anything with his life, which is barely less than what he has acomplished by now

On 9/21/2018 at 12:13 PM, Lunarisparadox said:

Here is the thing that I've learned: there is no such thing as an adult anyways. Nobody really knows what they are doing at the end of the day. We are all children on the inside. We just get better at hiding that we don't have control.

I love your avatar. Yggdra's Union was my favorite PSP game of all time. You make me want to go buy it again. Not the GBA version though.

I think I started feeling the "adult" mindset after bumping into younger people on various occasions complaining about how hard shit is or otherwise acting naive (based off how I define and feel that word is assigned as a title to a person) 

I kept thinking, "you have no idea how much it sucks being responsible and not doing what you want. It gets so much more boring and agonizing". I got my own place, i clean on my own (which I'm  fine with since it brightens my mood after I'm done)  bills to pay, car to keep up with and maintenance, I have to go work 48+ hours, and still run errands time to time. I feel like I never have time anymore to play games for 10+ hours like I use to as a teen, or to binge a 24 episode anime in one night like I use too. I have to follow a schedule now. But putting aside "adulthood" and how it relates to maturity, on another topic I still feel very ignorant. I still bump into people who are light years away from me in terms of wisdom. I feel like I have alot to learn and I'm worried for my age, I'm behind in terms of being knowledgeable

Edited by Tediz64

2 hours ago, Tediz64 said:

I love your avatar. Yggdra's Union was my favorite PSP game of all time. You make me want to go buy it again. Not the GBA version though.

I think I started feeling the "adult" mindset after bumping into younger people on various occasions complaining about how hard shit is or otherwise acting naive (based off how I define and feel that word is assigned as a title to a person) 

I kept thinking, "you have no idea how much it sucks being responsible and not doing what you want. It gets so much more boring and agonizing". I got my own place, i clean on my own (which I'm  fine with since it brightens my mood after I'm done)  bills to pay, car to keep up with and maintenance, I have to go work 48+ hours, and still run errands time to time. I feel like I never have time anymore to play games for 10+ hours like I use to as a teen, or to binge a 24 episode anime in one night like I use too. I have to follow a schedule now. But putting aside "adulthood" and how it relates to maturity, on another topic I still feel very ignorant. I still bump into people who are light years away from me in terms of wisdom. I feel like I have alot to learn and I'm worried for my age, I'm behind in terms of being knowledgeable

Well I don't know how old you are, but judging by the poll results, most of everyone is in the same boat so you're probably not behind for your age.

I'm 16 and I sometimes feel like an adult. I study all day and feel very tired on the way home, and the responsibility of doing stuff only rises from day to day, so sometimes I feel like an adult, but I like to play a lot (mainly playing games and swearing, but adults do this stuff too).

I say it this way that I'm feeling less childish right now with almost 30 by living finally alone and having a decent paid job.

Though this also means I have absolute no interest in relationships, much less children (even if I can come along very well with my cousin's kids).  

I think I started feeling like an adult when I was 17, when my niece passed. My mum was hysterical, so I thought that I had to suck it up and be the strong one for everyone. Idk, it just hit me that, this is life, it's unfair, but we have to deal with it.

Now I'm feeling more like an adult than ever because since then, things have gone to hell, hahah. I have to be strong for my mum, but it's just one thing after another.

So, yeah. Feeling like an adult for me, is having to be as strong as you can be mentally. It's an awful way of looking at it, but it's the only way I know how.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm now officially in my mid twenties, and I certainly don't feel like an adult.  Even doing everyday things on my own doesn't make me feel like an adult, just a more sensible and mature person in general.  Tbh, I don't think I'll ever feel like an adult unless I have kids: the idea of little ones depending on you somehow in my mind equates adult-ness.

When I was in college during study abroad, my class got lost in a foreign country and we were wandering around aimlessly.  We watched our professors and we said 'Let's let the adults figure it out'.  So all of us 18+/technically-legal-adults sat back and did nothing.  

Edited by mewyeon

• 4 weeks later...

I felt like an adult when I started working and when I faced a huge number of problems that I had to solve myself. At that moment I felt like an adult and wanted to become a child.  I read a lot of dissertation  read more  on the topic that many people in 60 years do not grow up and this is partly healthy.

Edited by russellh92

Within the last two years of ‘surviving’ a PGCE program at a Russell Group (England’s Ivy League) university and teaching in an inner city school. It’s amazing how a teacher’s perspective can change after being assaulted several times by their own students. Also living abroad for a fourth year with a newly acquired Italian citizenship can also do the trick I suppose.

Edited by Wraith

Mentally, I feel like maybe an eighteen-year-old, because at that age I made the decision to not have or look for a job for over two years, while still living with my family and not even contributing in terms of chores. Thankfully I've done a 180 since then, I live with my boyfriend/partner now, work anywhere from 20-40+ hours a week, manage our home as best I can, and still have plenty of time for my two other loves in life- playing Fire Emblem and creative writing. I'm glad I turned myself around, but especially lately, I look back on those two wasted years not infrequently and wonder where I might be in life now if I had worked harder back then. I'll never be eighteen, nineteen or twenty every again, and that's a sad and sobering fact. 

• 4 weeks later...

I beat Thracia when I was a teenager xD

...Not even sure I could do it now. My skills have decreased.

What made me feel like an adult was getting a mortgage. Nothing else has even come close (but then I've never had a kid or married, which I feel would really do the trick!)

Edited by Cute Chao

• 3 weeks later...

29, and definitely still felt like a kid until my late 20's. 

Feeling like an adult was also definitely more a matter of life milestones than age for me.

-Going to college + losing my virginity did NOT make me feel like an adult.
-Moving out of my parent's house + renting an apartment with my then-girlfriend + getting married made me feel--adultish, maybe??? Still not quite there yet.
-Having a stable job, owning a house, and paying a mortgage + bills. That's what did it.  

Edited by Shoblongoo