If you could theoretically add & remove up to 5 skills, which would you choose?

Fabulously Olivier

Are there skills that you wish never existed? Are there skills that you would really want to see added?

(As this isn't about wasting other's effort and money, this is a theoretical game that assumes that the removed skills never existed in the first place.)

Mine are as such:

Remove:

1) Armor March (C) - The worst case of armor power creep in Heroes, this skill basically made Infantry even more irrelevant by turning Armor into Infantry with higher BST, better skills, and terrain ignoring.

2) Special Fighter (B) - More disgusting and unnecessary armor power creep.

3) Bold Fighter (B) - Same

4) Vengeful Fighter (B) - Same

5) Wings of Mercy (B) - Having any enemy phase become unpredictable and potentially deadly because one enemy survived with a few hp is not fun gameplay.

Add:

1) Hone Infantry (C)

2) Goad Infantry (C)

3) Fortify Infantry (C)

4) Ward Infantry (C)

5) Tactical Pulse (C) - The equivalent of Infantry Pulse for mixed composition teams.

Drop:

1. Breath skills being available for armours- It's a bit ridiculous how much armours got, especially when they get what infantry also got.

2. Solo skills- We'll all be sorry when Atk/Spd Solo is a thing.

3. Dazzling Staff 3- This specifically, because Let's be real, we all hate those Elises and Priscillas.

4. Defiant skills- so that all those early units can get a skill that's actually more useful instead.

5. Maltet, Fuck this weapon. Thunder Armads and Great Flame are up there entirely because it's a delaying tactic. I'd probably pick Special Fighter for for an actual skill at this point.

Add:

1. Drive Def/Res - +2 to each stat would be neat, with an upgrade like DB4 for the +3 to each. I don't think it'd be all that broken and there'd be a 300+ SP C skill like that.

2. Rally Spectrum - +3 to all stats; either exclusive to a Robin/Katarina alt or inherited from them. Certainly not broken imo.

3. Ethereal Strike - Aether with 4 CD and 30% Def reduction/30% healing.

4. Walled Def - +5 Def for -3 Spd and Walled Res - +5 Res for -3 Spd. More surprised it didn't happen yet.

5. Power Reversal - In combat swaps Field buffs and debuffs between unit and enemy target. Would be personal to an infantry unit, definitely not for an armour.

Edited by Dayni

The only thing I would remove would be Litrblade(+) or at least make it exclusive to infantry. It was a mistake to not make it exclusive to infantry when Skill Inheritance was first released.

Everything else in this game is fine as is.

Add:

• Chill Panic 1/2/3: Passive B. At the start of each turn, if unit's HP ≥ 90%/70%/50%, inflicts Panic on foe on the enemy team with the highest total bonuses.
  • Nihil 1/2/3: Passive B. If unit's HP ≥ 100%/90%/80% at the start of combat, foe cannot activate Special skills during or after combat. (Special skills will still charge.)
Edited by Ice Dragon

There's some Skills I hate but none I really actively would remove. All the Armor Skills and Regnal Astra are a nuisance but without them, Armors would suck ass and...well there's no real cons to Regnal Astra not existing, I'm really not a fan of that one but I still don't hate it enough to wish it were gone entirely. I generally just try to find ways to play around them, so I'd maybe just nerf some of them~

I agree with adding Skills that buff Infantry Units, not sure why we don't have any yet when Infantry makes up the majority of the game. You'd think we'd have at least 1 or 2~

Remove:
Killer weapons (outclassed by Slaying weapons)
Bold/Special/Vengeful Fighter
Breath A-slot skills
Wrath
Armorslayer/Hammer/Heavy Spear (outclassed by Armorsmasher/Slaying Hammer/Slaying Spear)

One of the biggest problems in the game is that offensive specials not only do too much damage but they also charge too quickly - enough to make the weapon triangle largely meaningless.

Add:
Increase the availability of the Guard skill (ie. make it available on a regular summon that can get Guard 3 at 4* rarity), make it worth 240 SP at tier 3
Increase the availability of defensive passives (ie. Steady Stance, Warding Stance, etc.) by making them available on 4* summons
Increase the availability of Drive Atk by making them available on 4* summons
Increase the availability of dual Rallies that boost Atk (currently, they're only available on limited units or 5*-exclusives/seasonals).

Rebalance:
Post-refinery breath weapons (why is adaptive damage vs. ranged units a thing?)

Edited by Roflolxp54

10 minutes ago, Landmaster said:

I mean obviously, but still, at least one or two you'd think we'd have by now~ Especially with how they're trying to buff every other movement type~

That's what Infantry Pulse, Infantry Rush, Infantry Flash, Wrath, and Special Spiral are for. They're just all extremely rare.

3 minutes ago, Roflolxp54 said:

(why is adaptive damage vs. ranged units a thing?)

Because being able to initiate combat at range is an extremely powerful advantage.

Another thing to note:

-Increase the availability of flat dual-stat boosting passives (ie. Atk/Spd 2, HP/Res 2, etc.). Currently, the majority of them are unreasonably difficult to get, currently being only available on 5*-locked/seasonal units.

2 hours ago, Landmaster said:

There's some Skills I hate but none I really actively would remove. All the Armor Skills and Regnal Astra are a nuisance but without them, Armors would suck ass and...well there's no real cons to Regnal Astra not existing, I'm really not a fan of that one but I still don't hate it enough to wish it were gone entirely. I generally just try to find ways to play around them, so I'd maybe just nerf some of them~

I agree with adding Skills that buff Infantry Units, not sure why we don't have any yet when Infantry makes up the majority of the game. You'd think we'd have at least 1 or 2~

as said remove is a strong word, but bold and vengefull fighter would be still good without the special charge. as they are now. they are busted and brokento sone degree.

regnal astra would have been fine with a 3 charge cooldown and black luna would have been fine with a 4 charge cooldown OR with 50% defense ignored and a self buffing aftermath if +4res and +4def or so

when you need very specific counters for stuff you know they went overboard with it.(reinhardt and brave lyn fall also into this category)

Echoing what others have said, there's some I'd like to nerf, but nothing I'd like to see outright removed (unless coloured Bows and Knives count). Actually there is one skill I'd like to see removed, or at least changed. Dragon Skin. It prevents extra damage to flying units...why? It's Dragonskin. It should prevent effective damage to dragons. Right now it's basically Iotes Shield with a defense boost. Ibdint think there's ever even been a flying unit with dragon skin in there series outside of Lunatic+/Apotheosis. Id also like to see Sacrifice changed so it heals status conditions in addition to stats.

For add 

Wyrm/Beast/Armour Slayer: Deals effective damage to breath units. Make Dragonskin like I describe above and inheritable to counteract this (we already have protection skills for armoured  and mounted units).

Flying Boots: Basically the same as Armoured boots, but for flying units. They can move as far as cavalry in the main game, just doesn't feel right they lack the option here.

Close/Distant Ward: Something I thought of just today when considering options to improve enemy phase ranged units. Prevents being doubled from close or distant range, exclusive to armoured and infantry. Some infantry are slow as balls so I'd like some kind of Wary Fighter variation they can use.

Siphon: Reverse Ardent Sacrifice. Steal 10HP from an ally to recover. Useful for keeping units in high HP thresholds like Celica, as well as putting other units into desperation/brazen range.

Edited by Jotari

Remove:

Bold Fighter
Vengeful Fighter
Special Fighter
Duel skills (I'd rather have seen IS balance arena score issues a different way than a whale-oriented bandaid)
Forsetti and future weapons with that effect (it seems so cheesy compared to regular Desperation's effect that actually takes some thought to use)

I'd want the armor skills gone since I just find them over the top. Armors had lower movement compensated with a stat advantage, but IS has removed most of their disadvantages now. Vengeful Fighter and Special Fighter are unnecessary powercreep of QR and Guard that's only available to them. I also liked how most armors were slow and usually unable to double on player phase. It fit the idea of armors usually being defensive balls of stats and gave the few faster ones like Amelia or Draug more of a niche. Now armors get all the stat benefits and can also double for free with a cooldown charge on either phase and can have better movement than infantry (can go through trees). (Though don't mind Armor March overall, since that keeps playing a full armor team from being such a drag to move around)

Add:

Beast Slayer
Wyrm Slayer
Variant of Breath/Wrath skills available to melee Cavalry and Fliers
Armor Boots as a real skill
Skill or weapon with effect to nulify adaptive damage (so units like Innes aren't shit due to adaptive breath ruining what niche he had)

Bonus: Make Flashing Blade usable by Cavalry and Fliers. (If Heavy Blade is allowed, no real reason this shouldn't be too)

I'd add pursuit to the game. Basically Ephraim's special refine effect. It's unfair for armors to have a guaranteed double without HP requirement and has a cooldown accelerator, while everyone who isn't a armor and is slow is restricted to player phase. I'd remove the HP condition for pursuit and let it be BF without cooldown acceleration. Worst case scenario it has a 70% HP threshold requirement

Special fighter isn't all that busted as you need to be fast for a armor or Bephraim in order to use it to it's maximum potential. BF wouldn't be as busted if we have pursuit for non-armors.

VF isn't really a thing because BF exists and even then it's a okay skill as it restricts the user to enemy phase

Edited by silveraura25

Rather than outright removing skills I think they should be weakened.

• Solo skills in the future, should have require to be 2 spaces away from allies to work.
  • Bold Fighter/Vengeful Fighter, should have had harsher hp threshold conditions.
  • Regnal Astra and Black Luna, overpowered personal specials is not fair to majority of the cast. RA should have a 4-5 turn cool down.
  • Armor units having Breath skills.
  • Duel skills, lazy attempt at addressing the bst arena issue.

Add

• Air Superiority
  • Spectrum tactics
  • Quixotic
  • Nihil 
  • Dragon Ward

Sorry for not following the format of the topic, but I'd add more B skills that can replace the usual Quick Riposte, Desperation choices. Armors and healers have good options, but everyone else is best with those in offense. Ok, Special Spiral is nice, but what more do slow units get?

I'd drop those outdated skills which nobody needs anymore, like single stat+ and defiant skills. I won't complain if they replace the skills on units who have them, they are just feathers now.

9 hours ago, Ice Dragon said:

The only thing I would remove would be Litrblade(+) or at least make it exclusive to infantry. It was a mistake to not make it exclusive to infantry when Skill Inheritance was first released.

Everything else in this game is fine as is.

Add:

• Chill Panic 1/2/3: Passive C. At the start of each turn, if unit's HP ≥ 90%/70%/50%, inflicts Panic on foe on the enemy team with the highest total bonuses.
  • Nihil 1/2/3: Passive B. If unit's HP ≥ 100%/90%/80% at the start of combat, foe cannot activate Special skills during or after combat. (Special skills will still charge.)

Why Chill Panic as C? Chill skills so far have been B, even with their corresponding Ploy skills being C.

8 hours ago, Ice Dragon said:

That's what Infantry Pulse, Infantry Rush, Infantry Flash, Wrath, and Special Spiral are for. They're just all extremely rare.

All of those just charge specials faster, are shared with armors, or both. It'd be nice for infantry to get some unique skills that aren't just about specials.

While it's not the most unique, I think it'd be neat to add variants of Tactic skills that work with infantry rather than mixed teams. Could call them Atk Phalanx, Spd Phalanx, etc.

2 hours ago, Jingle Jangle said:

Rather than outright removing skills I think they should be weakened.

• Solo skills in the future, should have require to be 2 spaces away from allies to work.
  • Bold Fighter/Vengeful Fighter, should have had harsher hp threshold conditions.
  • Regnal Astra and Black Luna, overpowered personal specials is not fair to majority of the cast. RA should have a 4-5 turn cool down.
  • Armor units having Breath skills.
  • Duel skills, lazy attempt at addressing the bst arena issue.

Add

• Air Superiority
  • Spectrum tactics
  • Quixotic
  • Nihil 
  • Dragon Ward

The thing with solo skills is that ally support +2 with bond will be the same as ally support+1 with solo

I will agree that armors shouldn't have been given breaths, but maybe future breaths will be infantry only

Instead of removing skills which are actually good, I think it’d be better to remove the skills that are useless and are simply a waste of space. Pass, Obstruct, Lunge, Knock Back, Seal skills, Defiant skills, Breath of Life etc are all so outdated and/or impractical that they should be canned altogether unless they’re somehow buffed. 

In terms of the armor skills, I think Wary, Vengeful, and Special are fine, as I do think it was necessary to throw armor units a bone. Bold fighter, on the other hand, was too much as it ignores their signature flaw of being slow. It’d be like giving a skill to mages which gives them 25 defense or something. 

As for something I’d add, I’d like Canto in the game so a flier/calvary can rally/move a unit and be able to move (though not attack) afterwards. 

11 hours ago, Ice Dragon said:

Can I use this skill in a Nasir skill set? I'll credit you. 

Edited by Icelerate

18 minutes ago, SilvertheShadow said:

Instead of removing skills which are actually good, I think it’d be better to remove the skills that are useless and are simply a waste of space. Pass, Obstruct, Lunge, Knock Back, Seal skills, Defiant skills, Breath of Life etc are all so outdated and/or impractical that they should be canned altogether unless they’re somehow buffed. 

In terms of the armor skills, I think Wary, Vengeful, and Special are fine, as I do think it was necessary to throw armor units a bone. Bold fighter, on the other hand, was too much as it ignores their signature flaw of being slow. It’d be like giving a skill to mages which gives them 25 defense or something. 

As for something I’d add, I’d like Canto in the game so a flier/calvary can rally/move a unit and be able to move (though not attack) afterwards. 

actually obstruct and pass i have used 2-3 times in a GHB.

I also have used Defiant skills for some PVE content but rarely. 

8 hours ago, Jotari said:

Flying Boots: Basically the same as Armoured boots, but for flying units. They can move as far as cavalry in the main game, just doesn't feel right they lack the option here.

OK, I need to ask the important question here: Who are the boots going on: The unit or their mount? This sense of immersion must be sated.

4 minutes ago, Kurrin said:

OK, I need to ask the important question here: Who are the boots going on: The unit or their mount? This sense of immersion must be sated.

Good question. Who do the boots useually go when you give them to a mounted unit in the main games.

3 hours ago, Othin said:

Why Chill Panic as C? Chill skills so far have been B, even with their corresponding Ploy skills being C.

Because I'm sleep deprived and was thinking of Ploy skills.

1 hour ago, Icelerate said:

Can I use this skill in a Nasir skill set? I'll credit you. 

Go ahead. I don't mind.

There is nothing I would remove. I prefer to buff things to indirectly nerf something, rather than just nerfing or removing something directly.

I want to add:

Firesweep; B slot

Ranged Rush - Cavalry Raid; C slot
Ranged cavalry allies within two spaces gain: "If unit initiates combat, unit returns to starting space after combat."

Infantry Pulse 4
At the start of turn, grants Special cooldown count-1 to all infantry allies on team. (Stacks with similar skills.)

Def Bane; A slot
Grants Atk/Spd/Res+3. Inflicts HP-6, Def-3.

Skillbreaker B; B slot
Disable foe's B skill during combat

And some other ideas:

Spoiler

Ranged Rush - Armor Siege; C slot
Ranged armor allies within two spaces gain: "Enemy cannot counterattack."

Ranged Rush - Infantry Barrage; C slot
Ranged infantry allies within two spaces gain: "Unit makes a guaranteed follow-up attack."

Ranged Rush - Flier Bombardment; C slot
Ranged flier allies within two spaces gain: "Grants Atk/Spd +4 during combat."

Melee Rush - Armor Phalanx; C slot
Melee armor allies within two spaces gain: "Inflicts Atk-6 on foe during combat."

Melee Rush - Infantry Shock; C slot
Melee infantry allies within two spaces gain: "Reduces cooldown by 1 for each space travelled."

Melee Rush - Flier Smash; C slot
Melee flier allies within two spaces gain: "Unit can move through foes' space. Foe cannot make follow-up Attack. Inflicts Special cooldown charge -1 on foe per attack. "

Melee Rush - Cavalry Charge; C slot
Melee cavalry allies within two spaces gain: "Inflict Panic, Gravity, and Candlelight on target and adjacent enemy units after combat."

Atk Bane; A slot
Grants Spd/Def/Res+3. Inflicts HP-6, Atk-3.

Spd Bane; A slot
Grants Atk/Def/Res+3. Inflicts HP-6, Spd-3.

Res Bane; A slot
Grants Atk/Spd/Def+3. Inflicts HP-6, Res-3.

Skillbreaker Special: Special slot
Disable foe's Special during combat.

Skillbreaker A; A slot
Disable foe's A skill during combat.

Skillbreaker Sacred Seal; Sacred Seal slot
Disable foe's Sacred Seal skill during combat.

12 hours ago, Jotari said:

I see you are a man of great fashion sense as well.