Just Started Genealogy and Oh My God

Luis Liberato

As the titled says Ive recently started playing Genealogy of the Holy War and oh my god is this game amazing from the music to the map design, though I am only on chapter 4 I can safly say this game is truly incredible. These battles feel as though so much time passes within them and I really like the way it plays.

Anyway I just felt as though I needed to express how much I love this game already!

i am glad you love the thing, op

Β 

fe4 is an amazing game but the problems with it are completely crippling - they don't really bother me but i recognize that they really bother a lot of people. folk like you and i look past them but the game does really have flaws.

Β 

any questions about it go ahead and ask, otherwise keep us posted with your progress ay

the game is quite good indeed, and overall better balanced compared to Mystery of the Emblem. it was also the first title in the serie to introduce special skills andΒ skills/items/stats inheritance.

the main issue that many people usually have with FE4 is the size of the maps, since they're really huge and non-mounted units tend to be left behind. basicly completing one map is almost like completing 3 normal chapters at once in previous FE titles, but i guess you'veΒ already found that out.

i also believe itΒ has one of the best stories in the serie, but that's just my opinion anyway.

2 hours ago, Fenreir said:

the game is quite good indeed, and overall better balanced compared to Mystery of the Emblem. it was also the first title in the serie to introduce special skills andΒ skills/items/stats inheritance.

the main issue that many people usually have with FE4 is the size of the maps, since they're really huge and non-mounted units tend to be left behind. basicly completing one map is almost like completing 3 normal chapters at once in previous FE titles, but i guess you'veΒ already found that out.

i also believe itΒ has one of the best stories in the serie, but that's just my opinion anyway.

Bold: I would call B.S. there - especially since you proceededΒ to contradict yourself. I cannot see how it's better balanced when the weapon balance is laughable, and the unit balance is equally laughable...

Yeah, as much as I love Genealogy for its story, characters, and scale... it's one of those "story over gameplay" entries in the series.

I'd argue that Mystery is the best balanced game of the SNES era... though even then, that has three pegasus knights that are stupidly OP (Caeda can use Jeigan's silver lance right away), a thief and a dancer who are both better combatants than at least a quarter of the cast, and goddamnΒ Ogma and Sirius.

No problem with the map size, especially since you can save in the middle of a chapter properly (though that risks one of the four ranks if you save over a chapter opening).Β  What they'd need to do to make the game faster is include a lot of the QoL features from the latest FE's (especiallyΒ auto battle and fast movement), and to fix the balancing problems that come with these big maps they'dΒ need to throw infantry a bone by giving them tasks that only they can deal with (maybe something like mountainΒ or indoor combat) and maybe give them some minor teleportation abilities that don't suck.

Β 

Anyway, I hope TC is enjoying Genealogy.Β  In spite of its age and some of the faults in gameplay, it's one of my favorites.

2 hours ago, Shadow Mir said:

Bold: I would call B.S. there - especially since you proceededΒ to contradict yourself. I cannot see how it's better balanced when the weapon balance is laughable, and the unit balance is equally laughable...

in Mistery of the Emblem you could cap any stat to 20 with any character due to the fact that you could farm the arena an infinite amount of times.

the only limit to stats-boosting consumables was the money cap in the game. basicly, if you knew where to find the secret shops, and you had a silver card( member card ), you could pretty much maximize a good amount of characters, or even make single characters with all stats capped at 20.

that's why i consider FE4 more balanced under that point of view, because it limits stats boosting with a fixed amount of arenas, no stats-boosting consumables, and only a set amount of rings.

also, in Mystery of the Emblem there was no weapons triangle if i remember correctly, that was introduced in FE4 as well. it was a different approach to the game, pretty much like rock-paper-scissors during early game, however from mid-game until the final chapters, it becomes pretty much almost non-existant due to characters stats maxed out and other factors.

I'd argue that Mystery is the best balanced game of the SNES era... though even then, that has three pegasus knights that are stupidly OP (Caeda can use Jeigan's silver lance right away), a thief and a dancer who are both better combatants than at least a quarter of the cast, and goddamnΒ Ogma and Sirius.

Ogma is pretty much the alpha and omega of all FE warrior units. i still remember destroying Earth Dragons with the Devil sword, good times.

perhaps even Dieck could be a worthy successor to Ogma.

Edited by Fenreir

1 hour ago, Fenreir said:

in Mistery of the Emblem you could cap any stat to 20 with any character due to the fact that you could farm the arena an infinite amount of times.

the only limit to stats-boosting consumables was the money cap in the game. basicly, if you knew where to find the secret shops, and you had a silver card( member card ), you could pretty much maximize a good amount of characters, or even make single characters with all stats capped at 20.

that's why i consider FE4 more balanced under that point of view, because it limits stats boosting with a fixed amount of arenas, no stats-boosting consumables, and only a set amount of rings.

also, in Mystery of the Emblem there was no weapons triangle if i remember correctly, that was introduced in FE4 as well. it was a different approach to the game, pretty much like rock-paper-scissors during early game, however from mid-game until the final chapters, it becomes pretty much almost non-existant due to characters stats maxed out and other factors.

And yet this is the same game where if you don't have a horse, a holy weapon or Pursuit, you're automatically worse than those that do have those... yeah, no. That first one is especially telling - after all, there's a reason why the game is called Horse Emblem. And the other two are not much better, since you have 30 mt nukes in the hands of certain units, most of whom happen to be among the better units in the game anyhow, and the ability to do follow-ups is tied to a skill for no real reason whatsoever. That is NOT a sign of a balanced game to me. At all. And that's not even getting into how axes and fire magic are just worseΒ than the other weapon types. Or how the best unit inΒ the game (or rather,Β the first generation)Β gets a Silver Sword in the freaking prologue

Edited by Shadow Mir

15 hours ago, Luis Liberato said:

As the titled says Ive recently started playing Genealogy of the Holy War and oh my god is this game amazing from the music to the map design, though I am only on chapter 4 I can safly say this game is truly incredible. These battles feel as though so much time passes within them and I really like the way it plays.

Anyway I just felt as though I needed to express how much I love this game already!

Β  I can but rejoice whenever a new member joins the FE4 Lovers Army, but man you might want to go look up what actual good map design is after you finish the game XD Though yeah, the musics are amazing; if for some reason you're lucky enough to be playing through the game still unspoilered please don't go looking for spoilers and pairing advice, I swear you don't need it on a first playthrough!

4 minutes ago, Koumal8 said:

Β  I can but rejoice whenever a new member joins the FE4 Lovers Army, but man you might want to go look up what actual good map design is after you finish the game XD Though yeah, the musics are amazing; if for some reason you're lucky enough to be playing through the game still unspoilered please don't go looking for spoilers and pairing advice, I swear you don't need it on a first playthrough!

Thanks man, but you did't like chapter 3's design? I thought it was pretty good though I understand now how people say this game is essentially horse emblem but meh I like it a lot anyway

@Luis LiberatoΒ Ch.3 has some of the worst map design in the game, I like it as I like every FE4 Chapter, but as a rule of thumb you don't want the player to be just moving their units from point A to point B through empty space in FE games, and Ch.3 has an INSANE amount of backtracking; again, FE4 is an astounding game imao and nothing short of an inspired FE4 remake could ever top it as my favourite FE game, but it most definitely has some GLARING flaws; it's ok that you're noticing them right now though, why should you? Just play and love the game, you can concern yourself with learning stuff like map design and unit balanceΒ after you finish this masterpiece of a game :)

16 minutes ago, Koumal8 said:

Ch.3 has some of the worst map design in the game, I like it as I like every FE4 Chapter, but as a rule of thumb you don't want the player to be just moving their units from point A to point B through empty space in FE games, and Ch.3 has an INSANE amount of backtracking

also recruiting certain characters to have a full collection of units can be rather tedious.

i still remember trying to get a certain archer during the 1st generation. in a forest. surrounded by enemies. good thing that at least it was an amazing unit worth the trouble.

Edited by Fenreir

2 hours ago, Koumal8 said:

@Luis LiberatoΒ Ch.3 has some of the worst map design in the game, I like it as I like every FE4 Chapter, but as a rule of thumb you don't want the player to be just moving their units from point A to point B through empty space in FE games, and Ch.3 has an INSANE amount of backtracking; again, FE4 is an astounding game imao and nothing short of an inspired FE4 remake could ever top it as my favourite FE game, but it most definitely has some GLARING flaws; it's ok that you're noticing them right now though, why should you? Just play and love the game, you can concern yourself with learning stuff like map design and unit balanceΒ after you finish this masterpiece of a game :)

No mention of chapter 2? Because that one sounds even worse in terms of backtracking if you ask me...

Glad you're enjoying it! You're in for a wild ride!... and a long march. But I do like how this game in particular really emphasizes you're running an a huge army and the world feels really in tune with magic. The plot is my favorite in the series, although there's some problems with the gameplay. I'm curious to know your pairings.

12 hours ago, Ertrick36 said:

It's still a shame that Julian and Phina aren't in Heroes. They both kicked ass in their original games so they definitely deserve more spotlight. Plus, it would be nice to see Phina in some new duds. The only problem with Phina is that she'll be another sword dancer, so I hope they could give her a dagger or a bow or something different. (No Bow dancer yet IIRC- might as well make Phina the first)