Underrated, underappreciated, or just plain forgotten units

Corrobin

If you have a unit you like to use that doesn't get the love they deserve, let us know! Show your builds, give pointers, or even just talk about them.

I'll start off with a unit who really should get more love-Frederick. Normal Frederick, that is. He's a great physical tank who makes AMAZING usage of Brazen Attack/Defense.

image.thumb.png.2adc01dbcd65be3318bb44b59d8b6aaa.png

1 hour ago, Corrobin said:

If you have a unit you like to use that doesn't get the love they deserve, let us know! Show your builds, give pointers, or even just talk about them.

I'll start off with a unit who really should get more love-Frederick. Normal Frederick, that is. He's a great physical tank who makes AMAZING usage of Brazen Attack/Defense.

image.thumb.png.2adc01dbcd65be3318bb44b59d8b6aaa.png

this is good to know
I've gotten a good chunk of silver/bronze Freddies (and i LOVE him ) but according to game press - he wasn't worth investing in. it's good to know that he is in fact. 

I work on Athena merges since her release, I could even pull off some GHB single runs with her and I am almost done. In case you wonder because of Wo Dao+, I also have Slaying Edge+ on her, I also put some other skills on her and I switch her set depending on the Situation. 

Also changed her Boon from Def to Atk since a short time and I want to give her a more player phased built, but still. Def+ on her was nice and it was a difficult decision. Sometimes I regret it a bit, because Def+ along with her high speed gives her a built in which she is not overshadowed by Soleil.  Overall what makes her great is the combination of her Def and Speed. 

Gy99F5U.jpg?1

Edited by Stroud

59 minutes ago, Stroud said:

I work on Athena merges since her release, I could even pull off some GHB single runs with her and I am almost done. In case you wonder because of Wo Dao+, I also have Slaying Edge+ on her, I also put some other skills on her and I switch her set depending on the Situation. 

Also changed her Boon from Def to Atk since a short time and I want to give her a more player phased built, but still. Def+ on her was nice and it was a difficult decision. Sometimes I regret it a bit, because Def+ along with her high speed gives her a built in which she is not overshadowed by Soleil.  Overall what makes her grate is the combination of her Def and Speed. 

Gy99F5U.jpg?1

That's a very cool build there. I don't know much about Athena cause i haven't played her game yet but she sure does have the best art by Miyuu in the game.

27 minutes ago, RexBolt said:

That's a very cool build there. I don't know much about Athena cause i haven't played her game yet but she sure does have the best art by Miyuu in the game.

well her art is ugly and she is currently outclassed by Mia Ayra Karel and Fyr by a longshot.

1 minute ago, Hilda said:

well her art is ugly and she is currently outclassed by Mia Ayra Karel and Fyr by a longshot.

:O *Gasp*

Even if it does not hurt Athena's feelings, it hurts her husbando's feelings!

I agree, though; the eyes look a little creepy. Definitely not my type of art style.

30 minutes ago, Hilda said:

Well, the "underappreciated" boldly on the title of the topic, i see no reason why talk's of what unit is currently better than who matter in this place.

And while i agree that Miyuu's art sometimes looks ugly, like in Eliwoods, in Athena it look's very cool, specially in the normal attack and damaged arts. While the facial style is acquired taste (that reminds me of Tellius art), the use of colors, specially those shinning shades of light blue make's her outfit one of the most bealtiful in Heroes.

I actully want more of Miyuu's art in Heroes, specially in some Path of Radiance characters like Jill, Lucia or Geoffrey.

30 minutes ago, RexBolt said:

I actully want more of Miyuu's art in Heroes, specially in some Path of Radiance characters like Jill, Lucia or Geoffrey.

god please no. That art should be burried down deep in the ocean where the Titanic is. While Art is subjectiv, that style is really really bad on my eyes

NFhMhnQ.jpg

I know there's a couple Beruka fans around here besides me, but she still seems pretty rare. She's such a fun and mobile melee tank and I love it. It pleases me greatly watching her wall even sword units. Once I get more copies of her I'll start merging for sure. I'm undecided on whether I want Guard+QR or QR+CD3, so that's why her build just has QR2 still.

38 minutes ago, Johann said:

Waiting to see those Sully builds

That could have been me, but I'm sad to say the stats are just that bad that I still couldn't bring myself to invest resources into her. It's too bad, since I like her Heroes art too.

I haven't really built him up yet, but Gordin was my first summon, and he's always been there when I needed him. I just recently 5*'d him (the very one I summoned, regardless of nature) and I think it'd be fun to see what I can do with him in the future.

I also built up a Berkut (kind of; he's not done yet) who seems to get laughed off as a bad unit a lot/people seem to prefer sacrificing him for his lance a lot. His VA impressed me in SoV -- overwhelmingly so, and to the point where the voicing not only resonated with the character (as is every VA's aim, I imagine) but actually enhanced him -- which (and this is unusual for me) actually made me a fan of the character (as a character, mind you; obviously, he has some personal issues preventing me from wanting to have lunch or something with the guy) where normally I probably would've just liked him and that'd be it. I was happy to see that he voiced this incarnation of Berkut, too. So, that's what made me excited to actually be able to use him, and so, even if people say he's a bad unit, I can't say I regret working on him over giving his lance to someone else.

I still find Miyuu's Athena good, at least it is more recognizable than some other characters out of the commonbox. It is a shame that I will never find any comparison in that, if I would be blessed with another Athena I would like Masaki Hirooka to make the art. The Cipher card of his Athena looks really good and he made some good Castlevania illustrations.

The only Character I truly fear to be messed up is Rinkah, her Cipher arts are a Desaster. At least I am lucky that Cipher artists does not mean anything for FEH. I don't argue about the stats and missing prf, at least I am not bandwagoning on powercreep, FEH is a game there you can make the most out of almost any character.And you can give your favorites a little push with Summoner Support. 

@Johann, just give me a little time. I collected some Sullys to at least make her 4 +10 xD ( I have 8 now). My respect would be great for anyone who makes her 5 +10, that investment would be too much for me.

@Alkaid,  yeah, Beruka is a bit underestimated but still has her niche. And those who use her do well. 

I did not dare to show my Beruka until now, but it just has to be done. 

96J8uL3.jpg?1

I just gave the team a little push with prf Odin, still have to give S!Camilla goad flier soon. 

Edited by Stroud

I think this is like the third thread over Heroes' lifetime I've seen where people are encouraged to show off their Units they love and put effort into. All the same, it's nice to see the Topic is considered enough to have it keep coming back over time.

I'll try and see if I have anyone who fits into those categories who I could show off in the meantime. I know I've got my Roy, but I don't know how underappreciated or forgotten Base Roy is so I wasn't going to put it up here.

1 hour ago, Stroud said:

@Johann, just give me a little time. I collected some Sullys to at least make her 4 +10 xD ( I have 8 now). My respect would be great for anyone who makes her 5 +10, that investment would be too much for me.

I figure it's gonna take a good weapon refinery update before we see people make serious builds for her

2 hours ago, Alkaid said:

NFhMhnQ.jpg

I know there's a couple Beruka fans around here besides me, but she still seems pretty rare. She's such a fun and mobile melee tank and I love it. It pleases me greatly watching her wall even sword units. Once I get more copies of her I'll start merging for sure. I'm undecided on whether I want Guard+QR or QR+CD3, so that's why her build just has QR2 still.

That could have been me, but I'm sad to say the stats are just that bad that I still couldn't bring myself to invest resources into her. It's too bad, since I like her Heroes art too.

i'm legit just waiting for a +atk/def/res boon and speed bane.

then she's getting EVERYTHING.

anyways on topic. I'd legitimately have to say that Oboro seems a bit underused. She's fun enough and has no relevant SI so you can gather copies to merge!

Yeah she's essentially a mixed tank version of Lukas. With a Res refine and a neutral nature, she hits 28 res. Not toooo bad.

While I don't use him often (there are so many sword units who I actually like for their character) I'd say M!Corrin is fairly underated. I've seen him compared unfavorably to Marth but with his refine and Fury, Corrin has a pretty solid stat line and great support potential. Give him a dual spur and spur seal and watch his support buddy get +34 stats. And if you're feeling especially bold, give him a double rally for an additional 6-12 stats. This is such a powerful utility for Arena where you want to power up your bonus unit, I'm surprised more people don't talk about it.

Screenshot_20180924-112300.thumb.png.80bc1761ec6a774a35bc885f64a2eaa3.png

Legendary Lyn is underrated, I think, especially if certain tier lists are to go by. Being a green unit rather than a colorless one really does hinder her a bit, yes, but she can also be an absolute MONSTER. With minimal buffs and just her base kit, I was having her tank Celica in the arena. There were even a couple times where she had no buffs and could still take a hit before being knocked out like that.

I also think Frederick is pretty underrated, that guy can tank super well! He isn't terrible expensive to build, either. I think he'll continue to be underrated, unfortunately, especially if/when we start getting more axe cavalry units like Kieran.

Gordin is another that I think is underrated, although maybe slightly less so than some others. He can be a surprising threat and he can tank decently well, for an archer.

@Stroud, you're really tempting me into making Athena my next merge project. The worst part about it is that I've summoned +Atk, +Spd, and +Def Athenas where their banes are -Res or -HP. I was planning on building a +Def, -Res one for high speed, defense shenanigans, but +Atk, -Res seems a bit more practical and then there's this build with Shield Pulse on her that like other Pavise, Shield Pulse users, Karla, Linus, and Raven come to mind as the biggest exploiters because of their weapons and stat spreads, wants high, raw offenses to make up for the fact they aren't using an offensive special: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yae8coDoHJ0.

I don't really have an "underrated" or "underappreciated" unit really built. Do Eliwood, L'Arachel, or Soren even count? Does Odin even count anymore with his Odin's Grimoire support and combat shenanigans? But for me, I'd like to work on Bartre, Mathilda, Ogma, Rebecca, and Seliph one day. Bartre and Ogma have stupid stat spreads where they dumped resistance for everything else they wanted to specialize in, Mathilda's a badass in SoV and I love Caitlin Glass's performance as her, and Rebecca falls under I like her art, especially since like Ogma, her special art is different. Gaius and Virion would be up there too, but, I don't know. They're in rougher spots, as units and not really having as many copies of them as I would like.

Libra's fairly new, but if he is considered either of those or ends up being so, then yeah, him too.

OG!Takumi *cries*. I feel like a lot of the conversation around him is also tinged with schadenfreude over how he fell down so far from the very top. It's true he is heavily outclassed these day, and Intsys sad excuse for a refine didn't do him any favours. Still, I believe he is a solid unit and can take on almost any role you'd want for an archer. My own BraveBow!Takumi does a lot of the heavy lifting in my challenge clears. And now everyone has him (well, had..), so not even being 5* exclusive is enough to tank his general viability.

At the very least, he is more than just CC fodder. >>

I can't say I remember the last time I remembered Sully and Clive existed.

8 hours ago, RexBolt said:

I really only wished Miyuu's art (and Yamada Akihiro's) were less grainy. The graininess of the color clashes heavily with the art of other characters. Even Mendako's art (Arthur) doesn't stand out quite as much to me since AKIRA's and Himukai Yuuji's styles have a similar feel.