Sanctaea Chronicles (SRPG Studio, Fully Playable)

Von Ithipathachai

Hello, everybody.  So you may or may not be familiar with the Fire Emblem: Ascension thing I've been doing in Written Works.

Well, now I'm going to try turning it into a playable SRPG Studio game called Sanctaea Chronicles!  I intend to submit a demo with the first three chapters for this year's FEE3 (if I can find out how to send it to Arch), then create a more complete version with a few more chapters that will be available for everyone else to download.

Notable features:

• Single RNG (this is what SRPG Studio's engine uses)
  • The Weapon Triangle (Swords, Lances, Axes), which grants Accuracy ±15
  • The Trinity of Magic (Light, Anima, Dark), which grants Attack ±3 and Accuracy ±15
  • Bows (all of which are 2-3-Range) and Fates-style Daggers, which are Triangle-independent
  • Bonus EXP (like in Radiant Dawn)
  • C-S Rank Supports, but no Child Units, so don't worry about pairing everyone off; Support building is also purely deployment-based
  • AS = Spd - Wt (you need 5 more AS than your opponent for follow-up attacks)
  • A route split

Planned additions:

• Improved presentation (halfbody portrait system, new music, new class and map graphics depending on how MarkyJoe's community asset project comes along)
  • Additional difficulty settings (if demand is high enough)

Spreadsheets (all subject to change):

Dropbox link (v4.1)

Discord server

Character popularity poll

Instruction manual

Known Issues:

• Units’ Staff ranges are visible if they’re hovered over, but aren’t taken into account for enemies when highlighting enemy ranges
  • Enemies may behave erratically after being refreshed by Dancers
  • Weapon Rank increase messages may display at the wrong time if battles are skipped
  • Weapon/item merging may not work properly when using a keyboard or gamepad
  • When reloading save files in battle, highlighted enemy ranges do not reset immediately; clicking on an enemy again will reset the highlights

Screenshots:

Spoiler

f3e1059657de946d7a2df6695e595edb38d06e74

1b55fef93c86d36494313191fb15237ed3df30b0

9f755a171375e8687fdc0947cee072aa652b511f

478079071b40325af34bfdc9cc2b4fa70f9e0043

9eb536a3d30a842ee7a46484621b4fb8df1f9922

FEUniverse thread

EDITS:

• (9/26/2018): Name of project changed from Fire Emblem: Ascension to Sanctaea Chronicles.  See this thread for details.
  • (10/15/2018): Spreadsheets of game info now available.
  • (10/24/2018): Link to project's FEUniverse thread added.
  • (10/30/2018): v1.0 publicly released.  Changelog added as well.
  • (11/1/2018): Warning added to changelog indicating problem to be fixed later.  v1.0.1 publicly released.
  • (11/3/2018): v1.0.2 publicly released.
  • (11/30/2018): Screenshots updated.
  • (12/22/2018): v1.1 publicly released.
  • (1/20/2019): v2.0 publicly released, link to project's Discord server added.
  • (5/21/2019): v2.1 publicly released.  Screenshots updated.
  • (5/27/2019): v2.1.1 publicly released.
  • (11/15/2019): v3.0 publicly released, link to feedback survey added.
  • (2/20/2020): Link to character popularity poll added.
  • (7/2/2020): v3.1 publicly released, links to spreadsheets updated, link to feedback survey removed.
  • (7/5/2020): v3.1.1 publicly released.
  • (2/16/2021): v4.0 publicly released.
  • (2/20/2021): New "Planned additions" section added.
  • (3/30/2021): v4.0.1 publicly released.
  • (2/25/2022): v4.1 publicly released.
Edited by Von Ithipathachai

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks interesting, especially the portraits look pretty good so far!

Since I'm also interested in other SRPG Engine games and maybe trying it out myself; is there no way to change the formula to something more like Truehit?

1 hour ago, Abundy said:

Since I'm also interested in other SRPG Engine games and maybe trying it out myself; is there no way to change the formula to something more like Truehit?

If there is, I don't know how to do it.

I also don't particularly like being lied to about my hit rates.

57 minutes ago, Fenreir said:

overall it looks fine, and it also reminds me a bit of Vestaria Saga due to similar graphics.

seems like a legit old-school srpg to me, good luck with your project.

This is because Vestaria Saga seems to use a lot of SRPG Studio's default graphics, as does this game.

Thanks.  I have the intro to Chapter 4 done, but have not been able to start work on the map itself due to intense schoolwork.

Well, gang, I've just submitted a Dropbox link with the necessary files to Arch.  Hopefully that means we'll get to see Mekkah unveil it to everyone!

Taking into account the deadline extension, I don't expect to see the game shown off at FEE3 until sometime in November, so I may be able to add a few more chapters to the publicly released demo and complete the first story arc by then.

3 minutes ago, AzuraxCorrin(M)4Life said:

Will there be a manakete 

Nope.  This game has a strict "no dragon loli" policy.

The only thing you're going to see resembling a Manakete in any way is a dragon enemy Carol fights in a dream sequence.

5 minutes ago, Von Ithipathachai said:

Nope.  This game has a strict "no dragon loli" policy.

The only thing you're going to see resembling a Manakete in any way is a dragon enemy Carol fights in a dream sequence.

Aww man not all manaketes are lolis look at Nagi.

Edited by AzuraxCorrin(M)4Life
Spelling error

We are confirmed for FEE3.  I repeat, we are confirmed for FEE3.  And Mekkah is going to be playing it.  So excited!

My plan is to release the public demo immediately after I watch his video.  I would like to have it playable up to and including Chapter 7, though I may be a bit late after having hit a snag regarding Supports.

Because SRPG Studio's default status window only accommodates up to 5 Support partners, I had to go back and impose a limit on how many Support partners a unit can have in any given playthrough of the game.  In addition, I decided to make it so that no unit has more than 8 Support partners to choose from.  A character can reach Support Rank A with all of his/her partners, though he/she can only have a single S-Support.  Most characters have 3 possible S-Supports and 5 other Supports.

I was hoping to implement both Dougall and Boudicca (the Chapter 5 bosses) as playable characters last weekend, but because of the aforementioned Support snag, I was only able to implement Dougall.  Before I can consider the demo ready for the public, I need to implement Boudicca as a playable character, finish the first Interlude, make Chapter 7, and playtest all of that.

In the meantime, I'll go ahead and put up spreadsheets of characters, classes, Skills, Supports, and weapons/items for you all to look at.

Hey, gang!  v1.0 is finally here for you all to play!

It doesn't have Support conversations other than Claudius and Carol's C-Support, though.  I'll probably put those in a future revision, among other things.  If you have any ideas for Support chains (refer to the Supports spreadsheet for ones I plan to include), please PM me and if I like what I see, I'll add it and give you a contributor's credit.

...Crap.

Somehow the opening events of Chapter 5 got messed up so that Cato turns into Claudius and is unable to kill Duncan like he should, making the chapter pretty much unplayable.  So I guess you'll only be able to play up to Chapter 4 right now.

I'm going to need to fix that ASAP.

This is well made, but have you looked at any of the scripts/plugins from the SRPG Wiki? There's one that changes the level up screen with an arrow appearing one at a time (like FE) instead of all at once. It's called レベルアップ時、能力値を1つずつ上げるスクリプト(Lvup_1つずつ)

Edited by LouReed

8 hours ago, LouReed said:

This is well made, but have you looked at any of the scripts/plugins from the SRPG Wiki? There's one that changes the level up screen with an arrow appearing one at a time (like FE) instead of all at once. It's called レベルアップ時、能力値を1つずつ上げるスクリプト(Lvup_1つずつ)

Thanks for giving my game a try!

I did try to use some custom scripts from the Japanese SRPG Studio Wiki, but I couldn't get them to work the way I wanted.  For example, Petricia originally had Astra, which was supposed to function like it does in the 3DS games, but it ended up halving her Attack even when the Skill didn't trigger.

I don't really see a need to change how the Level Up display works, since it's functional the way it is, but maybe stats increasing one at a time will make it easier to see what you've gained?  I dunno.  Maybe if enough people ask for it I'll put it in.

By the way, how far into it have you played currently?

Edited by Von Ithipathachai