Von Ithipathachai

Sanctaea Chronicles (SRPG Studio) (v2.0 NOW AVAILABLE)

Hello, everybody.  So you may or may not be familiar with the Fire Emblem: Ascension thing I've been doing in Written Works.

Well, now I'm going to try turning it into a playable SRPG Studio game called Sanctaea Chronicles!  I intend to submit a demo with the first three chapters for this year's FEE3 (if I can find out how to send it to Arch), then create a more complete version with a few more chapters that will be available for everyone else to download.

Here's some of what you can expect to see:

• Single RNG (this is what SRPG Studio's engine uses)
  • The Weapon Triangle (Swords, Lances, Axes) and Trinity of Magic (Light, Anima, Dark), which grant Hit and Avoid +15 with triangle advantage
  • Bows (all of which are 2-3-Range) and Fates-style Daggers, which are triangle-independent
  • Bonus EXP (like in Radiant Dawn, except you get exactly 4 stat increases per Level Up instead of 3)
  • Supports (C-S Rank), but no Child Units, so don't worry about pairing everyone off
  • Class-based Rescue system
  • AS = Spd - Wt (you need 5 more AS than your opponent for follow-up attacks)

Spreadsheets (all subject to change):

Dropbox link (v2.0) (15 of 29 Chapters playable)

Discord server

Changelog:

Spoiler

FEE3 2018 Demo -> v1.0

Spoiler
  • Story is now playable up to and including Chapter 7.  Technically this is true, but there's a problem with Chapter 5 that makes it very hard if not impossible to proceed further.
  • Hit, Avoid, and Critical calculation now work like they do in Fates.  (I would prefer for Avoid to be calculated with AS instead, but I can’t figure out how to do that.)
  • WLv in general has been adjusted to be less restrictive.
  • Derrick and Bill’s retire/death quotes have been changed slightly.
  • Bill’s base Def has been reduced by 1 and his Lck growth rate has been reduced from 45% to 35%.
  • Several weapons and Skills have been renamed to not use Fire Emblem names.
  • Staves have gotten nerfed in both healing power and EXP gain.  (They were more potent than I thought they would be.)
  • A new enemy-only Skill, Arrow Guard, has been added.  It halves damage from Bows and is mainly used by bosses that can’t use Bows themselves.
  • Boss music has now been properly implemented.

v1.0 -> v1.0.1

Spoiler
  • Error with Chapter 5 opening fixed.
  • Minor rewrites to openings of Chapters 1 and 3 to reduce uses of the word "brother".
  • Vincenzo's base Spd has been increased by 1.
  • Marcela's base Str and Spd have been increased by 1 and her base Def has been increased by 2.

v1.0.1 -> v1.0.2

Spoiler
  • Flavor text has been added to all weapons and items.
  • The Seraph Robe's max HP boost has been decreased by 1.
  • Chapter 5's ending has been fixed.
  • Weapon prices have been changed.  Most are more expensive, but a few are less expensive.
  • Ronstadt now drops 50000G when defeated instead of 30000G.

v1.0.2 -> v1.1

Spoiler
  • General
    • Game window size is now 600x800 instead of 1280x720 to make unit sprites a little bigger when recording gameplay footage
    • Thick Forest terrain has been added that only Flying units can traverse
    • All playable characters so far (except Ferrum) now have Support conversations
    • Characters can now be within 2 spaces of each other to build Supports
    • Avoid is now calculated with AS
    • Triangle advantage/disadvantage is now visible
    • The Trinity of Magic now grants ±2 Attack in addition to affecting accuracy
    • Effective damage is now only applied to weapons and not to the user’s whole Attack stat
    • The Mag stat has been removed
    • Poison can no longer kill units (this makes it both less dangerous and more useful to the player)
    • Growth rates are now visible on the Unit Menu screen (press Left or Right to toggle between stats and growth rates)
    • Spirit weapons have received -6 Mt (they no longer need high Mt to compensate for low Mag)
    • Cavalry units can now rescue Armored units; Flying units can now rescue Medium Infantry units
    • Generals now use their SRPG Studio default animations
    • All of the Talk conversations that were formerly one-way are now two-way
    • All ending events have been relegated to backgrounds to remove unnecessary event maps
  • Playable Characters
    • Claudius’s base Skl has been reduced by 2
    • Vincenzo’s base Skl and Def have been increased by 1 and his WLv growth rate has been increased by 10%
    • Ciceria’s base Spd has been increased by 1; her Spd growth rate has been increased by 5% and her WLv growth rate has been increased by 15%
    • Mitch’s base Def has been increased by 1
    • Fritz’s base Spd has been increased by 1
    • Derrick’s Skl and Spd growth rates have been reduced by 10% and his Lck growth rate has been reduced by 5%
    • Rosa’s base Res has been increased by 2 and her HP, Pow, and WLv growth rates have been increased by 5%
    • Lee’s base HP and Res have been increased by 1 and his WLv growth rate has been increased by 15%
    • Chaucer’s base Def has been increased by 2 and his Pow and WLv growth rates have been increased by 5%
    • Bill’s base Spd and Def have been increased by 1
    • Omar’s base Skl and Def have been increased by 1
    • Dougall’s base Skl has been increased by 1; his Skl growth rate has been increased by 5% and his Def growth rate has been increased by 10%
    • Boudicca’s base HP and Pow have been increased by 1
  • Chapter 1
    • The map has been edited to look less barren
    • An optional Unit Menu tutorial has been edited to the beginning of the chapter
    • Vincenzo now has a Talk conversation with Claudius giving pointers on the best weapons to use depending on the situation
  • Chapter 3
    • The reinforcements have been spread out over more turns to make them less overwhelming; the Cavalier reinforcements also change spawn position over time
    • A couple of infantry enemies have been moved to the upper-right corner of the map; more Cavaliers take their place
    • The enemies that stand on forts and don’t move now move when someone enters their attack range
    • Rosa now also gives a hint about Supports when talked to in addition to advice about how to use healers
    • Drusilla now joins the player’s army upon being talked to; the special event at the end that plays when she is talked to has been changed accordingly
    • Your starting position has been moved up and the bridge has been expanded; the bottom of the map has been trimmed away and the river has been redrawn
    • Chapter 3’s ending has been expanded to actually show Ferrum terrorizing Lancaster
  • Chapter 4
    • Quixana now has a Talk conversation with Carol explaining how the Rescue system works
    • Some of the woods have been cleared to make an additional path
    • The positions of the road you need to seize (and by extension Hendrik) and a reinforcement spawn point have been swapped for make it easier for units on the left path to reach the road
    • A few enemies now have more aggressive AI
    • The reinforcements are now spread out over more turns; the last two pairs have been removed
  • Chapter 5
    • Drusilla gives a hint about Poison weapons at the beginning of the chapter if she has been recruited and is still alive
    • Dougall and Boudicca give hints about their AI as bosses
    • One of the Shamans in Chapter 5 has been changed to a Mage
    • The allied Lancers have been nerfed
    • The bottom-left House now gives a Manual instead of a Magic Drop
    • One of the top-left Houses has been moved to the bottom-right corner of the map; the enemy Shaman that originally blocked it has been removed
  • Chapter 6
    • The Level 9 Sword/Axe Knights blocking the gates in Chapter 6 are now Level 1 Generals, making them even harder to kill
    • There are no reinforcements; some of the Cavaliers that were originally reinforcements are now already present on the map
    • The position of the broken wall has been changed
    • The young man in the top-right House now gives a more useful hint about buying weapons from the shop after killing Ronstadt
  • Chapter 6 (Interlude)
    • Claudius and Carol’s first meeting has been rewritten to sound a little less cheesy
  • Chapter 7
    • Julio's Pow has been reduced by 2
    • Ciceria specifies which ship Claudius and Carol need to escape onto
    • The reinforcements on Turn 8 have been changed from Paladins and Great Knights to Heroes

v1.1 -> v2.0:

Spoiler
  • General
    • Story is now playable up to and including Chapter 15
    • The Aid stat (for the Rescue system) is now visible
    • The EXP formula has been adjusted so that each Level you have above/below your enemy affects EXP gain in increments of 3 instead of 2
    • Enemy AI has been improved so that it is more likely to attack units that cannot counterattack when possible, thanks to Lady Rena’s AI-Evader plugin
    • Enemy attack range is now displayed in red instead of yellow
    • Ally units can now be rescued
    • Unpromoted characters now gain 400% EXP when fighting promoted enemies instead of 200%
    • Promoted characters now only gain 25% EXP when fighting unpromoted enemies instead of 50%
    • Bonus EXP is now awarded immediately upon completion of a secondary objective
    • Manuals now cost 2500G (half as much as they used to); in addition, there are now three available for purchase from the Base Shop instead of o
    • Every chapter now has a Scout’s Report viewable in the Base under Info that gives hints on how to approach them; these are intended to help players decide who they want to receive Bonus EXP before leaving the Base
    • An oversight was corrected in which characters can execute Support conversations even if one of them is dead
    • Several references to “war birds” have been removed from Support conversations and replaced with references to pegasi
  • Terrain
    • Houses/Villages, Gates, and Thrones now cost 2 Mov to enter; this makes it harder for enemies to seize them
    • Chests are now completely solid and cannot be traversed by anyone
    • The name over Shop and blue House terrain has been fixed
  • Classes
    • Several ranged weapon animations have been adjusted to use consistent weapon heights
    • Sword/Lance/Axe Knights have been renamed Sword/Lance/Axe Armors
    • Bird Knights have been renamed Pegasus Riders and now use the old Pegasus Knight animations
    • Pegasus Knights now use new animations
    • Wyvern Riders have been renamed Dragon Riders
    • Wyvern Lords have been renamed Dragon Knights
  • Skills
    • A new Class Skill, Guard, has been added; it gives a 10% chance to halve damage from any attack and is used by Armored classes, much like how Re-Move is used by all Cavalry and Flying classes; it uses the old Effective Block icon
    • Effective Block uses a new icon
    • Re-Action's activation rate has been increased to 15%
  • Playable Characters
    • Claudius’s WLv growth rate has been increased by 5% and his Lck and Def growth rates have been increased by 10%, but his Spd growth rate has been reduced by 5%; he also has a slightly lighter skin tone to better illustrate him being half-Reman and half-Fenizian as opposed to fully Fenizian characters like Ciceria and Omar
    • Carol’s WLv growth rate has been increased by 5% and her Res growth rate has been increased by 10%, but her HP growth rate has been reduced by 15%
    • Vincenzo’s base Lck has been increased by 2; his Lck growth rate has been increased by 5%, but his Pow and Spd growth rates have been reduced by 5%
    • Ciceria’s base Spd and Def have been increased by 2, but her base Res has been decreased by 1; her Pow and Def growth rates have been increased by 5%, but her Skl growth rate has been reduced by 10% and her Res growth rate has been reduced by 20%
    • Bertus’s base Spd and Lck growth rates have been increased by 5%, but his HP growth rate has been decreased by 10%
    • Marcela’s base WLv has been increased by 1, but her base Pow has been reduced by 1; her Def and WLv growth rates have been increased by 5% and her Res growth rate has been increased by 10%, but her HP, Pow, and WLv growth rates have been reduced by 5%; a Petite Axe has also been added to her base inventory
    • Mitch’s base Lck has been increased by 1; his Lck, Def, and Res growth rates have been increased by 5%, but his Skl growth rate has been reduced by 10%
    • Fritz’s Res growth rate has been increased by 5%, but his Lck growth rate has been decreased by 5%
    • Quixana’s base Spd has been increased by 1; his Spd and WLv growth rates have been increased by 5% and his Res growth rate has been increased by 10%, but his HP growth rate has been decreased by 5% and his Skl growth rate has been decreased by 10%
    • Rosa’s HP growth rate has been decreased by 5%
    • Petricia’s Res growth rate has been increased by 10%, but her Skl growth rate has been decreased by 10%; she has also received a new portrait
    • Drusilla’s base Spd has been increased by 1; her Spd growth rate has been increased by 5%, but her Lck, Res, and WLv growth rates have been decreased by 5%
    • Lee’s base HP and Def have been increased by 1; his Lck growth rate has been increased by 10%, but his HP growth rate has been decreased by 5%; his portrait has also been updated
    • Chaucer's Def growth rate has been increased by 5%
    • Bill’s base Pow and WLv have been increased by 1; his HP and WLv growth rates have been increased by 5% and a Slim Sword has been added to his base inventory
    • Omar’s base Spd and Lck been increased by 2 and his WLv growth rate has been increased by 5%
    • Dougall’s base WLv has been increased by 1 and his base Skl and Def have been increased by 2, but his base HP has been decreased by 1; his Spd growth rate has been increased by 5%, but his HP and Pow growth rates have been reduced by 5%; his Iron Labrys has been changed to a Poleaxe; his portrait has also been updated
    • Boudicca’s base Lck has been increased by 1; her Luck growth rate has been increased by 5% and her Res and WLv growth rates have been increased by 10%, but her HP growth rate has been reduced by 5%
  • Chapter 1
    • The intro has been extended a little to foreshadow some of the prejudice Claudius has to put up with later
    • A hint about Support building has been added to the end of the Unit Menu tutorial
  • Chapter 2
    • The castle in the intro is bigger now
  • Chapter 3
    • The primary objective has been clarified as seizing the blue Village
    • The Thief has been moved further away from the Villages, into the upper-leftmost corner of the map
    • Angus now wields a Kodachi instead of an Iron Blade
  • Chapter 4
    • Elma and Fritz have swapped spawn points with Derrick and Quixana, respectively
    • The Thief that tries to pilfer the Chest is now labelled as "Ruffian"
    • The generic Commander miniboss now has Hit +10
    • Hendirk now wields a Hand Axe instead of an Iron Labrys
    • The Chest event should be fixed
  • Chapter 5
    • A hint has been added at the beginning of Turn 1 for the player to write down Claudius and his friends’ weapons and WLvs before the end of the chapter
    • Ferrum’s reinforcements during the ending now use player colors
  • Chapter 6
    • The primary objective has been clarified as seizing the blue House
    • Carol and Elma have swapped spawn points with Derrick and Quixana, respectively; Mitch has swapped spawn points with Chaucer; Fritz has swapped spawn points with Lee
    • The initial Cavaliers have been moved to the left side of the map to make the beginning of the map less cramped
    • The three Fighters and two Archers near the bottom of the map have been removed
    • Ronstadt now has a Gold Purse in his inventory to indicate that he drops 50000G when defeated
    • A small bit has been added to the ending showing Leopold’s remaining soldiers running away
  • Chapter 7
    • The upper-leftmost Thief has been moved further away from its corresponding House
    • The generic Commander miniboss how has Skl Down
    • Iron Daggers, Iron Bows, Flash, Thunder, and Plume are now available for purchase from the Shop on the map
  • Known Issues
    • Dancers reuse the female Thief battle animation and will continue to do so until a suitable replacement can be found
    • Promoted enemies do not give enough experience when defeated by high-level unpromoted characters; a new Level system will likely have to be implemented in v3.0 to correct this

v2.0 -> v3.0

?

Screenshots:

Spoiler

dcxkf2n-28f8a1a5-feba-457c-aa49-7bce12d7

dcxkf1w-6c5e7929-3cf3-4c9a-9add-daa33df1

dctapa6-fd072798-a27f-4c2c-bbdb-31942e1d

dcxkf19-22873819-348d-446b-9fe2-82d28168

dctap88-cf6eeedc-b16f-4b88-8b82-c2a66ccf

FEUniverse thread

EDITS:

• (9/26/2018): Name of project changed from Fire Emblem: Ascension to Sanctaea Chronicles.  See this thread for details.
  • (10/15/2018): Spreadsheets of game info now available.
  • (10/24/2018): Link to project's FEUniverse thread added.
  • (10/30/2018): v1.0 publicly released.  Changelog added as well.
  • (11/1/2018): Warning added to changelog indicating problem to be fixed later.  v1.0.1 publicly released.
  • (11/3/2018): v1.0.2 publicly released.
  • (11/30/2018): Screenshots updated.
  • (12/22/2018): v1.1 publicly released.
  • (1/20/2019): v2.0 publicly released, link to project's Discord server added.
Edited by Von Ithipathachai

Looks interesting, especially the portraits look pretty good so far!

Since I'm also interested in other SRPG Engine games and maybe trying it out myself; is there no way to change the formula to something more like Truehit?

1 hour ago, Abundy said:

Since I'm also interested in other SRPG Engine games and maybe trying it out myself; is there no way to change the formula to something more like Truehit?

If there is, I don't know how to do it.

I also don't particularly like being lied to about my hit rates.

Arch has extended the FEE3 submission deadline to October 14th, which hopefully means I should have enough time to add another chapter with Carol to the demo if I can catch up sufficiently on my schoolwork.

To make a long story short, the name of the project will be changed in an effort to reduce my chances of getting an unwanted cease-and-desist order from Nintendo.

overall it looks fine, and it also reminds me a bit of Vestaria Saga due to similar graphics.

seems like a legit old-school srpg to me, good luck with your project.

57 minutes ago, Fenreir said:

overall it looks fine, and it also reminds me a bit of Vestaria Saga due to similar graphics.

seems like a legit old-school srpg to me, good luck with your project.

This is because Vestaria Saga seems to use a lot of SRPG Studio's default graphics, as does this game.

Thanks.  I have the intro to Chapter 4 done, but have not been able to start work on the map itself due to intense schoolwork.

Well, gang, I've just submitted a Dropbox link with the necessary files to Arch.  Hopefully that means we'll get to see Mekkah unveil it to everyone!

Taking into account the deadline extension, I don't expect to see the game shown off at FEE3 until sometime in November, so I may be able to add a few more chapters to the publicly released demo and complete the first story arc by then.

3 minutes ago, AzuraxCorrin(M)4Life said:

Will there be a manakete 

Nope.  This game has a strict "no dragon loli" policy.

The only thing you're going to see resembling a Manakete in any way is a dragon enemy Carol fights in a dream sequence.

5 minutes ago, Von Ithipathachai said:

Nope.  This game has a strict "no dragon loli" policy.

The only thing you're going to see resembling a Manakete in any way is a dragon enemy Carol fights in a dream sequence.

Aww man not all manaketes are lolis look at Nagi.

Edited by AzuraxCorrin(M)4Life
Spelling error

1 minute ago, AzuraxCorrin(M)4Life said:

Aww man not all manaketes are lolis look at Nagi.

I know, but Manaketes are still kind of cliché and I would rather not use them if I don't need to.

Just now, AzuraxCorrin(M)4Life said:

Is Margaret bald? 

Yes, she is supposed to be bald.

We are confirmed for FEE3.  I repeat, we are confirmed for FEE3.  And Mekkah is going to be playing it.  So excited!

My plan is to release the public demo immediately after I watch his video.  I would like to have it playable up to and including Chapter 7, though I may be a bit late after having hit a snag regarding Supports.

Because SRPG Studio's default status window only accommodates up to 5 Support partners, I had to go back and impose a limit on how many Support partners a unit can have in any given playthrough of the game.  In addition, I decided to make it so that no unit has more than 8 Support partners to choose from.  A character can reach Support Rank A with all of his/her partners, though he/she can only have a single S-Support.  Most characters have 3 possible S-Supports and 5 other Supports.

I was hoping to implement both Dougall and Boudicca (the Chapter 5 bosses) as playable characters last weekend, but because of the aforementioned Support snag, I was only able to implement Dougall.  Before I can consider the demo ready for the public, I need to implement Boudicca as a playable character, finish the first Interlude, make Chapter 7, and playtest all of that.

In the meantime, I'll go ahead and put up spreadsheets of characters, classes, Skills, Supports, and weapons/items for you all to look at.

We're scheduled for Day 4 of FEE3 this year.  So I guess the playable demo will come out on Tuesday.

Hey, gang!  v1.0 is finally here for you all to play!

It doesn't have Support conversations other than Claudius and Carol's C-Support, though.  I'll probably put those in a future revision, among other things.  If you have any ideas for Support chains (refer to the Supports spreadsheet for ones I plan to include), please PM me and if I like what I see, I'll add it and give you a contributor's credit.

...Crap.

Somehow the opening events of Chapter 5 got messed up so that Cato turns into Claudius and is unable to kill Duncan like he should, making the chapter pretty much unplayable.  So I guess you'll only be able to play up to Chapter 4 right now.

I'm going to need to fix that ASAP.

This is well made, but have you looked at any of the scripts/plugins from the SRPG Wiki? There's one that changes the level up screen with an arrow appearing one at a time (like FE) instead of all at once. It's called レベルアップ時、能力値を1つずつ上げるスクリプト(Lvup_1つずつ)

Edited by LouReed

8 hours ago, LouReed said:

This is well made, but have you looked at any of the scripts/plugins from the SRPG Wiki? There's one that changes the level up screen with an arrow appearing one at a time (like FE) instead of all at once. It's called レベルアップ時、能力値を1つずつ上げるスクリプト(Lvup_1つずつ)

Thanks for giving my game a try!

I did try to use some custom scripts from the Japanese SRPG Studio Wiki, but I couldn't get them to work the way I wanted.  For example, Petricia originally had Astra, which was supposed to function like it does in the 3DS games, but it ended up halving her Attack even when the Skill didn't trigger.

I don't really see a need to change how the Level Up display works, since it's functional the way it is, but maybe stats increasing one at a time will make it easier to see what you've gained?  I dunno.  Maybe if enough people ask for it I'll put it in.

By the way, how far into it have you played currently?

Edited by Von Ithipathachai