Anything you wanted to try for a long time, and finally had the chance?

coldhand25

Pretty much what the tile says, I'll start

For me it's capoeira. I've been doing aikido for about 14 years now, but I became interested in capoeira like 8-9 years ago, after reading the first book of "The Joshua Files" series (still not finished, just restarted yesterday, no spoilerz plz). At that time I was around class 8, and there was no capoeira nearby, so I never had the chance to try it out. By the time I got into university - in the capital - I completely forgot about my desire to do capoeira. 3 years passed, and while I was packing my stuff to move to dorm (another university, another city even further away from home), I've found the book that made me want to try this sport. I instantly went to google, looked up if there is anyone teaching it in the city I'm about to live in, and it seems Lady Luck smiled on me! It's easy to see what happened after that, I've asked them if I can try it, I went to a class (it was so intense and hard - even though I wasn't in a bad shape, the moves and stretches were just different than what I'm used to), and now I feel like I've been doing it for years, even though I've started only 2 weeks ago. There were also positive surprises here, as it turned out the teacher is actually brazlian, who has been teaching capoeira for more than 7 years, and is doing it for around 20, and even though here it is only a small class, we often have workshops with famous brazilian instructors as well.

A bit long story, but I hope others have had at least as much luck as me, and I'm curious if anybody else has anything alike to share. It doesn't have to be this long, trying a new food, reading a book, watching a film, anything really!

• Getting into Atlus and the Persona series in particular, one game at a time. I'm just about to finish my second run of P4, and thinking about moving to P3P or Radiant Historia.
  • Reading a book about colonial US architecture, and being better-versed, which I bought back in 2013 when I was visiting NYC for a friend's wedding, but didn't bother actually reading until now. I now know that log cabins aren't anywhere as widespread as we like to depict as scenes of colonial US, and that the majority of buildings are variations of various building traditions from England, France, Netherlands, Germany, Spain, Sweden etc. And at least for the (mainly) English settlements, the buildings were mainly medieval instead of Jones/Wren-style Classical until the 18th Century.
  • Translation work, which I am working towards sending a proposal to a publisher in Tokyo. That has been on and off since May this year.

I have not had buffet for 4 years when I was in New York. I finally ate buffet when I returned to California.

Since there are no Carl's Jr. in New York, I go to Carl's Jr. at least once every time I visited Sacramento during break.

Did for SMT. That turned out well. SMT 1 really should have been remade cause its story is executed pretty well for something that's pretty straight-forward. 

I got back into Dragon Quest after never having played since I was 9 ish and having given away DQ9 to a random friend. DQ11 is amazing and it's the best JRPG of the past decade no doubt imo. Also trying out DQs from before 11 in between when I have down time (from school) since I can quickly emulate it for a short time. The OG DQs haven't aged all that well but DQ1 is interesting at least for having only one party member the whole game.

Edited by familyplayer
Said 10 instead of 11. Woops

Well, I have four goals (Two of them is still to be completed):

1. Getting a 3DS to play Tomodachi Life (and other games too). I had a DS before, and it was boring (And still is, if you play it for years). Still, the DS is part of my childhood. One year in Christmas, I finally got my New Nintendo 3DS XL with Tomodachi Life included.
  2. Having your own phone/tablet and not your mother's this time. I wanted a tablet and a phone to play with something for a long time. Because before I got it, I played with my mom's phone a lot. Now, during another Christmas day, I got the tablet.
  3. Moving to Cyprus. I know that you're possibly going to say "Wait, why are you moving to Cyprus?". It's kinda simple. For two reasons to be honest: One, there's a fandom and the fandom's from this anime itself, Hetalia: Axis Powers. One of the characters is called Cyprus actually. And that character inspired me to move there. And two, it's history and beautiful homes. I love them.
  4. Being a programmer. I'm working on my studies to do the job itself.

I know this is kinda off-topic but hey, I just wanted to share my goals.

• 2 weeks later...

I finally got the chance to feel sad for not sleeping well and end up sleeping on classes. Can't say if I am or not proud of myself.

Also, I won NoFap but I'm still firm on the cause, so I'm not fapping since july 31rst

On 10/6/2018 at 7:00 PM, Soviet Cut said:

Also, I won NoFap but I'm still firm on the cause, so I'm not fapping since july 31rst

I am not sure if that would be considered too explicit, but just to be safe, I think using a more vague euphemism might help avoid the fury from the mods. I find this forum to be a bit more on the uptight side.

I think something like "alone time" is good since it is a double entendre. You can even keep the quotation marks on or use a different formating to get the intended meaning across.