How do you pronounce "IS"

Junkhead

Like, how do you pronounce IS. You know, Intelligent Systems. I literally say IS, like "is"...you know, since people never bother to put a period in-between.

It just stuck on me to call it like that.

Eye-ess.

Because it's an acronym, not the word "is".  It's already confusing as it is that one of my favorite characters was nicknamed "Is", which is pronounced like the first syllable of "easel", I'd rather just not turn IS into a spoken word.

17 minutes ago, GuiltyLove said:

good Soul post as usual

As I'd say, it's quality trash.  Or junk food in the form of a thread.

Because it's an RPG with actual pacing, the visuals have aged wonderfully, the combat is simple enough for a kid to play, but with just enough options to keep you from getting bored, and with action commands on attacks to keep you engaged, the music isn't amazing but it's really unique stylistically (lots of chromaticisms to enter into the main chord, fun stuff), it has a surprisingly competent story, and a really fun sense of humor that still gets laughs out of me

i could go on but I think you get the idea, it's my favorite game ever

13 minutes ago, ChefGuevara said:

Because it's an RPG with actual pacing, the visuals have aged wonderfully, the combat is simple enough for a kid to play, but with just enough options to keep you from getting bored, and with action commands on attacks to keep you engaged, the music isn't amazing but it's really unique stylistically (lots of chromaticisms to enter into the main chord, fun stuff), it has a surprisingly competent story, and a really fun sense of humor that still gets laughs out of me

i could go on but I think you get the idea, it's my favorite game ever

Funny enough, not only do I still have my GC, but I've been playing a little light OoT. RPGs were never my thing, but you make it sound it's not much of a drag like traditional RPGs would have it.

paper mario 2 is definitely on my top 10 game list maybe even in the top 5

Edited by Vi-astra

1 hour ago, Junkhead said:

Funny enough, not only do I still have my GC, but I've been playing a little light OoT. RPGs were never my thing, but you make it sound it's not much of a drag like traditional RPGs would have it.

Paper Mario was originally supposed to be Super Mario RPG 2, but it didn't b/c Square and Nintendo had a breakup. It carries over the action commands of SMRPG, and furthers them. Although compared to the later Mario and Luigi franchise, things aren't as action commandy. The premise of action commands in the first place, I would think, is add a bit of the old Mario platforming reflexes, which makes things more vibrant than other RPGs, even though it uses a turn-based format.

By action commands, it's simple reflex things, hold and release the control stick to the left at the right time to do more damage with a hammer swing. Press A at the right time when an enemy is about to hit you to reduce damage taken. Mash a certain button, input a randomized sequence of A, B, Y, and or X, press A right when a meter reaches a certain point on a gauge. Stuff like that.

Stat values also stay pretty low by RPG standards, the final boss has like 120 HP at most I think. And equipment largely doesn't exist. Mario gets hammer and boots upgrades as the game progresses, and trading Shine Sprites lets you boost the stats and teach new moves to your various partners. Plenty of badges exist that can provide mostly Mario with new attacks, and some passive boosts as well. Stats aren't many, HP, Flower Points for non-basic attacks (MP in other RPGs), and Badge Points for limiting how many Badges you can equip, are the only stats that level up. The others of Atk and Def and Star Points (for invoking the power of the Crystal Stars) do increase, but not via leveling at all.

Besides gameplay PM: TTYD looks good in its paper aesthetic and has a cool, colorful and fairly lighthearted world you adventure through. Plenty of classic Mario species remixed creatively (like a Pianta mafia) and a few new ones presented as well. The characters aren't deep or anything, but you may find them simple done well- which I call "charming". The music works well through it all.

Not to deny it has some issues though, backtracking within a given chapter gets excessive at points *cough Chapter 4 cough*.

And since you said you literally only know IS from FE. FE has a pure strategy sister in Advance Wars, no RPG elements, just pure turn-based strategy with disposable, manufacturable units. Various Commanding Officers- COs- offer different strengths and weakness with the various unit types, and also have special powers. Advance Wars 1, the sequel Black Hole Rising, and Dual Strike share a cartoony lighthearted world and cast of characters.

Days of Ruin/Dark Conflict (NA and European subtitles respectively), goes for a post-apocalyptic, kinda typical anime world, with a totally new aesthetic, characters, and some new units too, all with some gameplay tweaks. Also features as its ultimate villain, IDS- Intelligent Defense Systems, the number one purveyor of firearms, combat enhancement drugs, and all your other war-making needs. Lead by Tellius's own Izuka, in spirit at least.

After Days of Ruin, Advance Wars died. Perhaps due to lack of sales. Not until a Club Nintendo deal did Japan even get DoR (NA did first- with an modified script to fit in more humor). A bit of a tragedy.

Advance Wars actually goes back to the NES era as Famicom Wars, which was followed by Super Famicom Wars, and then Game Boy Wars 1-3 + Turbo. But none of these left Japan.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

1 hour ago, Luis Liberato said:

Its actually pronounced  ⏡   

Shit, you're right, I can't believe I was such a plebe to have believed it'd be pronounced any other way.

I would probably say "eye-es" like others on here. If I was talking about the company in real life, I normally just say Intelligent Systems.

2 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

A bit of a tragedy.

A bit? It is a HUGE tragedy! T_T

If Advance Wars is still alive, I would not be filling the large gaping hole in my heart with Fire Emblem.

49 minutes ago, Corrobin said:

I call 'em IntSys.

InSyst sounds more accurate based on some of the games.