A Voice Audio Issue

Emerson

I've been having an odd issue with the voice audio within FEW. To make this clear, this isn't the issue with the television settings being set for Stereo when the speaker system cannot do so. It's a completely different issue.

This only affects the voice audio. The music and sound effect are completely unaffected.

The first time I encountered this issue was while playing in portable mode with headphones, shortly after downloading the DLC. I had never had this issue before while playing through all of Story Mode and some of History Mode, all done before purchasing and downloading the DLC Season Pass. After a while of playing the game, the voices will weirdly only being to play out of the left speaker. Originally I believed it was an issue with my headphones, but further inspection proved otherwise. Firstly, the issue would go away for periods of time before resurfacing, but it was there for much longer than it was gone. Secondly, when going into the audio settings and moving the slider for the voice volume, rather than it changing volume as the slider was moved left and right, it stayed at the same volume (normally it will adjust after each movement of the slider, as do the BGM and SFX) and continued to play through solely the left speaker, even at the lowest possible setting. This property of the audio not changing volume carried over into play as well, it's not simply within the audio adjustment menu.

Later, I learned that it's even more unlikely to be an issue with the audio jack or my headphones, as while playing it docked, the exact same issue came up, with the voice audio only playing through the left speaker again.

Oddly enough, the issue isn't resolved by closing down the game and reopening it, or at least that's how it seems. Even rebooting the system doesn't always fix this, although it's possible it began to happen sometime after the reboot but before the game opened to the title screen, rather than carrying over from the previous session.

This issue has happened with no other game, at least so far. I'll try and see if anything occurs while playing the few other Switch games I have.

The odd thing to me is that the issue only began occurring once I downloaded the DLC, so I'm wondering if the issue possibly came from either an incomplete download, or possible that the DLC itself has an issue, however due to the lack of other cases for this issue, I don't suspect it's that.

If anyone has any idea what this could be, I'd really appreciate the input. While I can still play the game obviously, this is just a very... annoying issue.

Edited by Emerson

Did you try to go to the Options Menu to turn up or fix the voice audio in the game? I never had a problem with the voice audio in my copy of Fire Emblem Warriors and it seemed to be fine from dock mode while I was playing the game from my Television.

Edited by King Marth 64

22 hours ago, Emerson said:

If anyone has any idea what this could be, I'd really appreciate the input. While I can still play the game obviously, this is just a very... annoying issue.

It's not just you - I discovered this when I gave FEW a whirl again.

But I can say that it's not the DLC - I've had the DLC downloaded since it went live for each pack and I never encountered the issue then. Since we haven't gotten another patch for FEW it's very unlikely to be the game itself.

However, before launching the game I updated my Switch (the update that rolled out with the Nintendo Online stuff I presume). I assume you've updated your Switch recently? Mine's version 6.0.0 for reference (EU console).

The primary reason* I suspect the update is due to the Nintendo Online Service Voice Chat app - they probably changed something in Switch's audio drives to account for the changes and something might not have gone entirely right. I admit it's not for certain that it's the culprit but I legit can't think of anything else that changed since I played on my Switch last (and it was working fine then). I'm going to check out some of my other Switch games and see if the issue surfaces in them.

*/My secondary reason to suspect it is because it also sounds eerily similar to when some sound card drivers in a PC goes wrong (as in, one channel goes silent).

3 hours ago, Tactician_Iris said:

It's not just you - I discovered this when I gave FEW a whirl again.

But I can say that it's not the DLC - I've had the DLC downloaded since it went live for each pack and I never encountered the issue then. Since we haven't gotten another patch for FEW it's very unlikely to be the game itself.

However, before launching the game I updated my Switch (the update that rolled out with the Nintendo Online stuff I presume). I assume you've updated your Switch recently? Mine's version 6.0.0 for reference (EU console).

The primary reason* I suspect the update is due to the Nintendo Online Service Voice Chat app - they probably changed something in Switch's audio drives to account for the changes and something might not have gone entirely right. I admit it's not for certain that it's the culprit but I legit can't think of anything else that changed since I played on my Switch last (and it was working fine then). I'm going to check out some of my other Switch games and see if the issue surfaces in them.

*/My secondary reason to suspect it is because it also sounds eerily similar to when some sound card drivers in a PC goes wrong (as in, one channel goes silent).

Dang. I'm actually finding this a bit humorous. The reason no one's found my issue (Well, not publically from what I've seen googling the topic) isn't because it's anything exclusive to me then. It's literally because no one else is playing FEW anymore since it's been out for a year.

I'm pretty sure in-between the time of me downloading the DLC and last playing it before then, 6.0.0 happened, so everything lines up.

Edited by Emerson

3 hours ago, Emerson said:

Dang. I'm actually finding this a bit humorous. The reason no one's found my issue (Well, not publically from what I've seen googling the topic) isn't because it's anything exclusive to me then. It's literally because no one else is playing FEW anymore since it's been out for a year.

I'm pretty sure in-between the time of me downloading the DLC and last playing it before then, 6.0.0 happened, so everything lines up.

Well, I've dug around a bit now and I can share what I've found (it's a bit tl;dr I'm afraid):

Spoiler

I tested three other games besides FEW (Hyrule Warriors: DE, Super Mario Oddyssey, Mario Kart 8) - nothing they were fine.

I then started FEW up again - to my surprise the voice at the title screen was actually fine - I had dual channel audio again. This picqued my interest - why was the title screen voice audio working all of a sudden?

So I loaded my save file as normal and I figured, "Hey let's try a mission and see what happens." and the audio was...part working and part not? As in, I had no audio on my right channel in menus, ui, & cutscenes, but I had them in missions (I mean the voices proper as spoken in the text boxes - not the battle cries and such (since they count as sfx).

Considering that oddity, I tried exiting to the title screen again and...no audio on the right channel. Closed the game and tried again - and there it was. Dual audio on the title screen. What gives?

So then I had a thought, "Load my save and then have a listen to the same voice sample in the Voice gallery" (Xander's "Fire Emblem Warriors" in this case) and lo' and behold (or hear I suppose) the right channel was dead again.

"Well that sure was weird" I thought so I exited to title screen again and...still no audio on the channel. Oh colour me intrigued game. 

So this time after loading my save I fiddled around my settings - I switched the system voice (no dice), then I switched to JP audio (again nothing), but then I had a look in the sound settings and there was something very weird going on.

Thing is, I've cranked voices all the way up and the other settings way down so I can transcribe the Dual Special audio more easily (I'm almost done with that pet project), yet...as I was moving sliders back forth I noticed something else - the volume of the voices weren't changing at all even if I cranked it all the way down. They were seemingly stuck. So...maybe, just maybe, resetting the sound settings to default could do something...? Nothing to lose by trying anyway....

And...I got voices back in my right channel! Aww yiss - dual channel audio ftw.

I have no idea if this "fix" will stick or I'll get stuck with the bug again someday - but that's what I did to "fix" it anyway.

That said, I'm still not sure what the culprit is/was - maybe something is wonky when loading the audio settings from the save file? I have a hunch that loading the Voice setting from the save file is the cause. But why it surfaced now is a mystery - maybe the Switch's last update interprets Voice settings differently than before to account for the changes in voice chat? Or alternatively, the recently added support for cloud saves means loading our saves' Voice settings have gone bust? Idk. Hope it gets fixed in the future though.

Thinking about it, I suppose I could see if reloading/loading another save means I get stuck with this again (and if I can fix it again).

Edited by Tactician_Iris

8 hours ago, Tactician_Iris said:

Well, I've dug around a bit now and I can share what I've found (it's a bit tl;dr I'm afraid):

Hide contents

I tested three other games besides FEW (Hyrule Warriors: DE, Super Mario Oddyssey, Mario Kart 8) - nothing they were fine.

I then started FEW up again - to my surprise the voice at the title screen was actually fine - I had dual channel audio again. This picqued my interest - why was the title screen voice audio working all of a sudden?

So I loaded my save file as normal and I figured, "Hey let's try a mission and see what happens." and the audio was...part working and part not? As in, I had no audio on my right channel in menus, ui, & cutscenes, but I had them in missions (I mean the voices proper as spoken in the text boxes - not the battle cries and such (since they count as sfx).

Considering that oddity, I tried exiting to the title screen again and...no audio on the right channel. Closed the game and tried again - and there it was. Dual audio on the title screen. What gives?

So then I had a thought, "Load my save and then have a listen to the same voice sample in the Voice gallery" (Xander's "Fire Emblem Warriors" in this case) and lo' and behold (or hear I suppose) the right channel was dead again.

"Well that sure was weird" I thought so I exited to title screen again and...still no audio on the channel. Oh colour me intrigued game. 

So this time after loading my save I fiddled around my settings - I switched the system voice (no dice), then I switched to JP audio (again nothing), but then I had a look in the sound settings and there was something very weird going on.

Thing is, I've cranked voices all the way up and the other settings way down so I can transcribe the Dual Special audio more easily (I'm almost done with that pet project), yet...as I was moving sliders back forth I noticed something else - the volume of the voices weren't changing at all even if I cranked it all the way down. They were seemingly stuck. So...maybe, just maybe, resetting the sound settings to default could do something...? Nothing to lose by trying anyway....

And...I got voices back in my right channel! Aww yiss - dual channel audio ftw.

I have no idea if this "fix" will stick or I'll get stuck with the bug again someday - but that's what I did to "fix" it anyway.

That said, I'm still not sure what the culprit is/was - maybe something is wonky when loading the audio settings from the save file? I have a hunch that loading the Voice setting from the save file is the cause. But why it surfaced now is a mystery - maybe the Switch's last update interprets Voice settings differently than before to account for the changes in voice chat? Or alternatively, the recently added support for cloud saves means loading our saves' Voice settings have gone bust? Idk. Hope it gets fixed in the future though.

Thinking about it, I suppose I could see if reloading/loading another save means I get stuck with this again (and if I can fix it again).

All of that is about the same that happened with me when I experimented. The bug can be temporarily fixed via certain things (honestly it seems inconsistent and almost random) and it seems to almost always return over time. I'm considering posting about this on something more active than SF like r/FireEmblem and seeing if we can get anywhere with this.

Hm... This seems like an issue that might be affecting certain games: Ever since the Update, Hyrule Warriors: DE (playing it to complete story mode and the Adventure Maps now that I have all the bloody weapons) has been having the same issue with voices.

I've been following this issue on Reddit and GameFAQs; today was the first time I thought to look here. Hyrule Warriors and Atelier Lydie: The Alchemists and the Mysterious Paintings (both Koei Tecmo games) have also been having the same problem, ever since the 6.0 system update:

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/216349-atelier-lydie-and-suelle-the-alchemists-and-the-mysterious/77055207
https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/switch/230454-hyrule-warriors-definitive-edition/answers/499743-audio-laggy-doubled
https://www.reddit.com/r/fireemblem/comments/9juhe3/psa_switch_60_system_update_broke_few_dialogue/
https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSwitch/comments/9ihx64/weird_issue_in_fire_emblem_warriors_since_60/
https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/204209-fire-emblem-warriors/77050601

Please please PLEASE call Nintendo Customer Service to report this issue! If it's ever going to get fixed, it needs the visibility. Make sure you are emphatic on the points that it's only specific games, that multiple people started experiencing the same issue at the same time, etc; they'll try to schedule a repair for your Switch, otherwise.

EDIT: Note that I created two of the above posts.

Edited by Huanir

5 hours ago, Huanir said:

Please please PLEASE call Nintendo Customer Service to report this issue! If it's ever going to get fixed, it needs the visibility. Make sure you are emphatic on the points that it's only specific games, that multiple people started experiencing the same issue at the same time, etc; they'll try to schedule a repair for your Switch, otherwise.

EDIT: Note that I created two of the above posts.

I should add that while I've yet to experience this personally on HW: DE, it does sound a bit more of a broader issue than I guessed (interesting that the update is affecting more games - does sound like a driver/codec gone *poof*). 

My own musings aside, you're right on reporting it - I'll have a few more checks on my end and see if I notice anything else before I report it. In particular, I wonder if I can trigger it on HW: DE (as stated, it hasn't happened yet), and if there is any consistency why/when it triggers for FEW.

Once I've dug around a bit on my end I'll report it to either NoE or Nintendo Bergsala (since I'm in Sweden I'm not 100% certain which of the two branches handles bug reports for me - guess I'll find out though).