Cirosan

[FE5] Project Exile - Thracia 776 Script and Menu Translation - Script complete through chapter 11

Project Exile
(yet another) Thracia 776 Menu and Script Translation

Thracia 776 has long been the FE community's white whale. Project Exile is my own attempt to finally put this English patch to bed, using the remnants of Kirb's patch as a foundation and taking the menu translation (and considerable technical advice) from Zane.

The script uses a new translation, done by myself. In the spirit of transparency, and to help disseminate this new translation more quickly, you can view complete PDFs of my translation below. As you would expect, I've translated a few names differently from how many people might know them, but any changes were made for the sake of clarity.

Without further ado, download links follow below, as well as contact info and the Discord server the patch is being coordinated out of.

Download here

PDFs of the script

Screenshot gallery

Installation:

1. Obtain an unmodified, unheadered ROM of Thracia 776. I cannot help you do this. Your ROM's MD5 checksum should be equal to: 2A33F6F4D8070426C60BECE6E7F1409B
If you don't know what that means, this website can help you: http://onlinemd5.com/

2. Extract your unmodified ROM, LunarIPS.exe, and ProjectExile101418.ips to the same folder.

3. Open LunarIPS.exe.

4. Click the "Apply IPS Patch" button.

5. Select ProjectExile101418.ips.

6. Select your unmodified Thracia ROM.

7. Your previously unmodified file, which you selected in step 6, is the patched ROM you should now use. Its MD5 checksum should now be equal to: 52295816F59F67B8A54D088C6CDBA15B

Known issues:
- Individual reactions to Leif dying in the game over dialogue are not yet translated (Finn's response, Eyvel's response, etc.)
- In the shop menu, certain characters of description text will temporarily remain on screen after moving the cursor to another item
- Win text for the Arena is not yet translated
- Text on the world map has not yet been updated to reflect the translation, nor has the title screen been altered
- Other minor text headers have slight visual errors

To preempt some additional questions:

"What's your stance on names from Heroes content?"

If it's in mainline Heroes content OR was in Awakening, I'll use it. Names from Heroes supercede names from Awakening (so "Loptous" in favor of "Loptyr", for instance). However, this has one exception: names that were ONLY in the CYL poll for Heroes will be ignored. If this sounds arbitrary, that's because it is. Joking aside, though, with names like "Carrion" it's easy to get the impression that the CYL list was probably a rush job and shouldn't be taken as gospel.

"What's your stance on Project Naga?"

To be clear, I and my team have absolutely no involvement in Project Naga whatsoever. However, to avoid confusion, since most players will be coming from Project Naga's FE4, any names that were used in PN will be used here as well, provided they aren't contradicted by Heroes material (so retaining location names such as "Connaught" over "Conote", for instance). PN was how I was exposed to FE4 to begin with, and I think BoH and the PN team did a stellar job, so this is the least I can do.

"How can I help?"

There are two areas I need help with, first and foremost:

Firstly, the menu font could be altered to be more legible and technically flexible - currently, the number of unique character strings it can display is limited, unlike the dialogue font. If you have experience with SNES fonts and would like to help, please see the Discord info below.

Secondly, precise editing of the world map has yet to be done, and location names are still untranslated ("Conote", etc.). If you have expertise with this area and believe you can help, see the Discord info below.

Credits and Acknowledgments

Script Translation and Text Insertion by Cirosan
Based on a patch architecture first developed by Kirb
Incorporating Zane's FE5 menu translation
ROM expansion by Kirb and dn

Lead Script Editors:
Hero of Five Emblems
Shaleblade

Additional Script Editors:
KrashBoomBang
RunicSequence
Whatevs4
LoPo

Lead Playtester:
KrashBoomBang

Discord Administrator:
Xylonphone

Both Kirb and Zane have continued to provide me with technical advice, and I'd like to stress that this patch would not have been possible without them.

This patch would not be possible without the ROM expansion performed by Kirb and dn, and I wish to thank them again.

Further Updates, Discord, and Contact Info:

This patch is coordinated out of a Discord server generously maintained by Xylonphone (Discord tag: Xylon73). To keep up to date with the newest developments, and to volunteer for helping with the patch, you can join the Discord here: https://discord.gg/f7Qtrpu

Edited by Cirosan
Updated through chapter 11

33 minutes ago, Cirosan said:

Project Exile
(yet another) Thracia 776 Menu and Script Translation

Thracia 776 has long been the FE community's white whale. Between Shaya, Kirb, and Unified Thracia, we've seen anywhere between three and five attempts at translating this game, depending on which ones you count - all of them incomplete. Project Exile is my own attempt to finally put this English patch to bed, using the remnants of Kirb's patch as a foundation and taking the menu translation (and considerable technical advice) from Zane.

The script uses a new translation, done by myself. In the spirit of transparency, and to help disseminate this new translation more quickly, you can view complete PDFs of my translation below. As you would expect, I've translated a few names differently from how many people might know them, but any changes were made for the sake of clarity.

Without further ado, download links follow below, as well as contact info and the Discord server the patch is being coordinated out of.

Download here
Mirror

PDFs of the script

Screenshot gallery

Installation:

1. Obtain an unmodified, unheadered ROM (the ROM version, not the NP version) of Thracia 776. I cannot help you do this. Your ROM's MD5 checksum should be equal to: 2A33F6F4D8070426C60BECE6E7F1409B. If you don't know what that means, this website can help you: http://onlinemd5.com/

2. Extract your unmodified ROM, LunarIPS.exe, and ProjectExile092718.ips to the same folder.

3. Open LunarIPS.exe.

4. Click the "Apply IPS Patch" button.

5. Select ProjectExile092718.ips.

6. Select your unmodified Thracia ROM.

7. Your previously unmodified file, which you selected in step 6, is the patched ROM you should now use. Its MD5 checksum should now be equal to: F9248F372320C5694246C325914C2DE6

Known issues:
- Individual reactions to Leif dying in the game over dialogue are not yet translated (Finn's response, Eyvel's response, etc.)
- In the shop menu, certain characters of description text will temporarily remain on screen after moving the cursor to another item
- Win text for the Arena is not yet translated
- The "Objective" text for the status screen is not yet implemented
- Current description for staves do not say "Weight" before their weight value; it's just a number with no preceding label
- Text on the world map has not yet been updated to reflect the translation
- Other minor text headers have slight visual errors

To preempt some additional questions:

"What's your stance on names from Heroes content?"

If it's in mainline Heroes content OR was in Awakening, I'll use it. Names from Heroes supercede names from Awakening (so "Loptous" in favor of "Loptyr", for instance). However, this has one exception: names that were ONLY in the CYL poll for Heroes will be ignored. If this sounds arbitrary, that's because it is. Joking aside, though, with names like "Carrion" it's easy to get the impression that the CYL list was probably a rush job and shouldn't be taken as gospel.

"What's your stance on Project Naga?"

To be clear, I and my team have absolutely no involvement in Project Naga whatsoever. However, to avoid confusion, since most players will be coming from Project Naga's FE4, any names that were used in PN will be used here as well, provided they aren't contradicted by Heroes material (so retaining location names such as "Connaught" over "Conote", for instance). PN was how I was exposed to FE4 to begin with, and I think BoH and the PN team did a stellar job, so this is the least I can do.

"How can I help?"

There are two areas I need help with, first and foremost:

Firstly, this English script takes up considerably more size than the original Japanese text, and we're running out of space in the ROM somewhat quickly. Both PN and Unified Thracia expanded the ROM, and would welcome advice from anyone associated with either of those projects regarding how to best manage memory.

Secondly, precise editing of the world map has yet to be done, and location names are still untranslated ("Conote", etc.). If you have expertise with this area and believe you can help, see the Discord info below.

Thanks and Acknowledgments

Script Translation and Text Insertion by Cirosan
Based on a patch architecture first developed by Kirb
Incorporating Zane's FE5 menu translation

Script Editors:
Hero of Five Emblems
Shaleblade

Lead Playtester:
KrashBoomBang

Both Kirb and Zane have continued to provide me with technical advice, and I'd like to stress that this patch would not have been possible without them.

Further Updates, Discord, and Contact Info:

This patch is coordinated out of a Discord server generously maintained by Xylophone. To keep up to date with the newest developments, and to volunteer for helping with the patch, you can join the Discord here: https://discord.gg/f7Qtrpu

Hi, when translating to English, do you review the Japanese text to stay faithful or just use reference from other games for adapting ?

For example:

エーヴェルという女剣士 and 屈強の男たちが武装し近隣 are not Fiana Freeblades, but フィアナ義勇軍 is.

And no one knows Nanna is Finn's adopted daughter at the start of the game.

Shouldn't ノディオン王国 and レンスター王国 be translated as Kingdom rather than House?

I am impressed and excited to see more! I enjoy the creative liberties you have taken with the script so far. Too many patches are bland and boring to read. I will take your creative writing over that any day.

Great work! You might give me a reason to play Thracia again!!!

Edited by Tenders

As someone who has played with your hacks before (however big or small they might have been), I'm quite looking forward to seeing how this translation will be handled.  The script looks nifty so far.

okay but can we get a version where the only option is waiting

I really want to play FE5 but have been waiting for a good translation.

It would be amazing if you could finish this!

An update is now available in the OP. The script is now complete through chapter 11, and numerous other small bugs have been fixed. The scripts for the three new chapters (9, 10, and 11) are also now available in the .zip archive in the OP.

Oh yeah boy, let's go, this MUST be the one, please be the translation we need, there have been so many that entered this obscure area, and none returned, this gotta be the one, if not, i will lose all hope, and if it is the case and this gets finished, this will enter in the history of FE fan works dedication alongside the translation of FE4, good luck mate, this is a difficult job, but you can make it, i believe in you!

5 hours ago, Cirosan said:

An update is now available in the OP. The script is now complete through chapter 11, and numerous other small bugs have been fixed. The scripts for the three new chapters (9, 10, and 11) are also now available in the .zip archive in the OP.

So you ignored my comment.

18 hours ago, Red Leaf said:

Oh yeah boy, let's go, this MUST be the one, please be the translation we need, there have been so many that entered this obscure area, and none returned, this gotta be the one, if not, i will lose all hope, and if it is the case and this gets finished, this will enter in the history of FE fan works dedication alongside the translation of FE4, good luck mate, this is a difficult job, but you can make it, i believe in you!

Agreed. The "inescapable room" in chapter 24x is like a metaphor for 4/5ths of the 776 Translation Project attempts I've seen on this site: suddenly disappearing without a trace.

On 10/14/2018 at 7:19 PM, hanhnn said:

So you ignored my comment.

if you wish to voice concerns about the patch, please join the discord and do it there

The only complete translation missing from my life currently is for Thracia 776. Looks promising, this can become something amazing.