Confirming information

Tediz64

So as I was making the rounds on the internet I noticed that right after Sony dropped info on their PS1 classic, some people have been saying there are leaks of Nintendo releasing a N64 classic since the first two were successful for them. (the NES an SNES)

Does anyone have any more solid info on this or is it just rumors? It fits with their current direction. They have been pumping out remakes, reports, and digitals of many old titles. I dunno if they ran out of ideas on new games so it's the Year of Remastering

I mean I'd throw my money at Nintendo if they were going to include some awesome titles like LoZ: Ocarina of Time, Pokemon Stadium, Donkey Kong Country, Paper Mario, one of the 3 Mario Parties, or maybe some other titles I can't around to remembering.

It's just rumours as far I'm aware. I don't believe there's any official information from Nintendo or other reputable sources.

Now I wouldn't be surprised if a N64 Classic is happening, but it's probably impossible to know when--or if--it's coming.

As for Nintendo's output this year, they focused a lot on Switch's first year with stuff like Super Mario Odyssey and polishing up Breath of the Wild. So I imagine they need more time to develop their next batch of titles.

I think it's extremely suspect that the rumors of an N64 classic start ONLY after the idea of classics re-enter the public consciousness as a result of the PS1 Classic. I also lost a bet that we'd get a N64 Classic announcement by the end of summer. The NES was announced in July, SNES in June, seemed a sure bet. Another knock against the existence of a N64 classic is that this is a holiday season where Nintendo isn't hopelessly dry on games to sell. You've got the double whammy of Pokemon and Smash, plus the first Mario Party game in recent memory that doesn't look phoned in.

As for evidence we're getting N64 Classic? Same as always - you'd be leaving money on the table if you didn't make something like that. 100 dollar system, 12 games. Few third party games to worry about outside Rare, that's big bucks. I still feel as strongly as I did at the start of the year that the biggest reason they wouldn't make a N64 Classic is if they decided to double back and go for a Gameboy Classic and that they shouldn't do two in one year. But when you say "Gameboy Classic" to me I'm not hearing nearly as many cash registers. Even more important than the Gameboy's lack of quality games is its lack of recognizeable games outside of Pokemon. You can dust off your 3DS and get the original pokemon game with more features, it wouldn't be competitive with just that game on the lineup.

1 hour ago, Glennstavos said:

I think it's extremely suspect that the rumors of an N64 classic start ONLY after the idea of classics re-enter the public consciousness as a result of the PS1 Classic. I also lost a bet that we'd get a N64 Classic announcement by the end of summer. The NES was announced in July, SNES in June, seemed a sure bet. Another knock against the existence of a N64 classic is that this is a holiday season where Nintendo isn't hopelessly dry on games to sell. You've got the double whammy of Pokemon and Smash, plus the first Mario Party game in recent memory that doesn't look phoned in.

In the link I posted above, it says the trademark was officially registered on August 28, 2018, so I figure this'd be next year at the earliest. I don't follow this stuff closely though, so I dunno how far off from trademark to release these things tend to go.

I'd be curious to see if such a device would end up having some of the Rare games on it, given how well they did back in the day. Having Goldeneye and/or Perfect Dark would be enough to make it a must-have for a lot of people.

The N64 didn't have too many titles, so if Nintendo made a 64 Classic, it wouldn't be hard to figure out what would be on it:

My guesses:

1. Super Mario 64
  2. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
  3. Star Fox 64
  4. Donkey Kong 64
  5. Yoshi's Story
  6. Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards
  7. The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask (?)
  8. Paper Mario
  9. Mario Kart 64
  10. F-Zero X
  11. SUPER SMASH...  BROTHERSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!
  12. Wave Race 64
  13. Mario Tennis or Golf (?)
  14. A Mario Party game (3?)
  15. Dr. Mario (?)
  16. Sin and Punishment: Successor to the Earth(?)
  17. Quest 64
  18. Mother 3
  19. Fire Emblem: Maiden of Darkness

I think 15 titles would be sufficient, although if they really wanted to, they could give us 20.

Pokemon should be here, but the only choices are the Stadiums, which sorta need connectivity in same way to GRBY and GSC to be more fun and fleshed out, Snap, and Puzzle League. Oh, and Hey You Pikachu!- but that'd need a mic.

3rd party games? Well SE jumped ship at this point. Konami's two Castlevanias were shoddy, but the Goemon games were good I think and the Super Famicom Classic had one of the Goemon games on there.

1 hour ago, Johann said:

I'd be curious to see if such a device would end up having some of the Rare games on it, given how well they did back in the day. Having Goldeneye and/or Perfect Dark would be enough to make it a must-have for a lot of people.

Yes to Rare games, but those two in particular seem like a hard No. One M rated game makes the whole package rated M and Nintendo can't have that. Avoiding M rated games for a N64 collection is extremely easy compared to doing a PS1 classic without M rated games. You're only missing out on those two shooters, Doom 64, Turok, Conker, and a surprisingly good port of Resident Evil 2. 

I have my doubts that Nintendo would include 15-20 games but I do see  10-12 as a good possibility. Most will be Nintendo games as that would avoid paying the third party fees for maximum profit value. Conker was a great game but I also don't see Nintendo including an M-rated game in its bundle. 

1. Super Mario 64 

2. Golden Eye 64

3. Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time

4. Donkey Kong 64

5. Super Smash Bros 64

6. Star Fox 64

7. Paper Mario 64

8. Kirby 64

9. Banjo Kazooie

10. Mario Kart 64

11. Yoshi's Story 

12. Mario Party 64