Would you like to see Heroes's new specials in regular FE games?

Corrobin

Like the Ice line (Chilling Wind, Iceberg, Glacies), the lower cool down but lesser effect versions of normal specials (Noontime, Moonbow, Glimmer), etc.?

The Chilling Wind, Glowing Ember, and Dragon Gaze lines, and Regnal Astra would be great in mainline FE. And technically, you could see the Dragon line as being based sorta on Jugdrali Crits, which were 2x Atk instead of the usual 3x Damage.

The weaker but lower cooldown abilities could work in standard FE by making them more consistent than their stronger versions. If Skill = % of activation chance for Luna, then Moonbow would be Skill * 1.5 = % of activation chance. It'd fix somewhat the one big issue with proc skills- unreliable activation rates.

Although in the case of Luna, you'd be lucky in Fates to get +15 damage out of it, and if Moonbow had an enemy Def * .75 effect, half as strong as Luna, well it would hardly add any damage most of the time, making it not changing too much by itself.

I doubt it. Some of them are weaker versions of skills that aren't that good (Daylight, anyone?).

22 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Although in the case of Luna, you'd be lucky in Fates to get +15 damage out of it, and if Moonbow had an enemy Def * .75 effect, half as strong as Luna, well it would hardly add any damage most of the time, making it not changing too much by itself.

I would also mention Sol - it's not very useful in Fates, and its weaker version would pretty much never heal as much as what you stand to take.

Out of the specials introduced in Heroes,  I feel the attack, defense, and resistance based skills would work the best in the main line series. since it fixes one of the problems of def and ref heavy characters of damage output for knights and mages.

Edited by Jingle Jangle

No mention to the healing skills? Fire emblem has almost no healing skills whatsoever except Sol or Aether but those come from a unit that aren't healers. Imbue or anything that boost a stat after healing could be the equivalent of a ward staff.

2 minutes ago, Nym said:

No mention to the healing skills? Fire emblem has almost no healing skills whatsoever except Sol or Aether but those come from a unit that aren't healers. Imbue or anything that boost a stat after healing could be the equivalent of a ward staff.

Good point! The handful of healing Specials would be excellent, Healing Light would almost be too good though, a Fortify lite, even if chance-based would cut down a little on the need for multiple healers and be really good when it procs. The Balms would be not as good, but still neat and give healers another role, although I'd prefer dedicated stat-buffing staves that cover more than just Res for this.

The AoEs would possibly be too good in mainline FE, but then I remembered that Fates has started including such things, and they weren't that bad. Not optimal, but not bad, nifty at times.

49 minutes ago, Nym said:

Imbue was in Radiant Dawn... But only a handful of units were able to make any real use of it.

43 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Good point! The handful of healing Specials would be excellent, Healing Light would almost be too good though, a Fortify lite, even if chance-based would cut down a little on the need for multiple healers and be really good when it procs. The Balms would be not as good, but still neat and give healers another role, although I'd prefer dedicated stat-buffing staves that cover more than just Res for this.

The AoEs would possibly be too good in mainline FE, but then I remembered that Fates has started including such things, and they weren't that bad. Not optimal, but not bad, nifty at times.

I would honestly say the AoE heals in Fates were underwhelming... I mean, only 20% HP for a level 15 skill??? Really now???

54 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Obviously some would need to get nerfed or buffed if they become chance based but it would be better than nothing. Also I remember Fortify being a thing. You could make the skill late game or difficult to proc.

14 minutes ago, Shadow Mir said:

Imbue was in Radiant Dawn... But only a handful of units were able to make any real use of it.

Never played RD, I didn't know. I thought it was Heroes original.

1 minute ago, Nym said:

Never played RD, I didn't know. I thought it was Heroes original.

Well, RD's Imbue was more of a Renewal?

Likem it could only be used by non-magic users and every single turn it healed the unit by an amout if HP = to that units magic stat.

6 minutes ago, RexBolt said:

Well, RD's Imbue was more of a Renewal?

Likem it could only be used by non-magic users and every single turn it healed the unit by an amout if HP = to that units magic stat.

That doesn't seem... useful compare to Renewal.

And yes I know how the skill system works in this game. But magic is probably not a high growth for most non-magic user.

3 minutes ago, Nym said:

And yes I know how the skill system works in this game. But magic is probably not a high growth for most non-magic user.

Since this game's Renewal only heals 10% of total HP, Imbue can be useful if you are already using the unit to wield magic weapons.

11 minutes ago, Nym said:

Honestly, I found it more useful than Renewal for most characters. Most characters Magic Growth + Base + Promo Bonuses were still more than Renewal's % of their max HP, so it often healed more.

But to respond the the original question, I would love to have the Heroes' proc skills in the main series. I would prefer SoV style of proc, since cooldown may not work as well for the main series.  

Edited by Shimmerfang

feh's approach to skills is infinitely better than fe's main series approach to it

fixed numbers that can be planned for are beautiful and far beyond fe's typical implementation of them