Hopes/preferences for support conversations?

Kedata

Which features would you like in support conversations if they return?  

98 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want affinities to be present that effect support bonuses?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Do you want S ranks/marriage supports to return?

• Heck yes with 2nd generation units.
    • Heck yes without 2nd generation units.
    • No thanks
  3. 3. Preferred setting of support conversations?

• In the midst of battle (like in SoV for example)
    • During off time/base conversations.
  4. 4. Do you want full voice acting for support conversations?

• Yes!
    • No, I'm more concerned on having a good quantity of support conversations available instead.
    • No, for any other reason.
  5. 5. Do you want a limited amount of supports a single unit can have per game?

• Yes
    • No

Ah yes, supports. Back when I only played Awakening, these were my absolute favorite part of the franchise. I tend to value gameplay more now, but supports still hold a special place in my heart!

1.) Honestly, I put "yes" but I really don't care whether it's in or not - not much is going to change TBH, but it might make building stupid builds like 100% crit builds easier, which is always a plus in my book.

2.) Yes, but with an alteration: S-rank =/= marriage. Well, it could mean marriage, but what I want is the S-rank to signify a paired ending, whether it be between boy-boy, boy-girl, girl-girl, platonic, romantic, etc., etc., etc. It would be nice to see people with a good dynamic not have to end up boning each other and to show how two different people end up being best buds for life in an ending. Besides, even if it doesn't end in marriage, fanfic exists for a reason.

However, NO. CHILDREN. PLEASE. Children worked great in FE4, sort of good in FE13, and were an absolute flop in FE14. Unless this game pulls an FE4 and has a multi-generational conflict, please don't. And even if this game does pull an FE4, try something different and don't just copy-paste the main twist, that would ruin it too.

3.) As hilarious as it was to see stuff like Forde sleeping/painting in the middle of the final battle, let's keep the supports limited to the base/off-time.

4.) Absolutely yes! The VA adds something else to the support conversations IMO, can't explain what though. Regardless, I really enjoyed them in SoV. And as an added bonus, it'll limit the number of supports in the game too - which is something I've had a gripe with in FE13 and FE14. It makes it less likely for our support lists to be filled with filler conversations that exist because a support between characters A and B MUST exist. Granted, it wouldn't necessarily guarantee an increase in quality (*cough* FAYE *cough*), it would make it at least easier to sift through the throwaway supports to find the real gems.

5.) No. That is all.

But seriously, this is what I hate most about the GBA support system. And if affinity bonuses are the main concern, simple: just impose a limit on the bonuses you can obtain from supports (like only being able to obtain +30 hit and +15 crit from affinity bonuses). There really is no reason for us to return to his system IMO.

1. Affinities were a nice way to vary support bonuses as opposed to the generic ones we have now so yes I'd like that.

2. Honestly speaking, I don't. Or at the very least, I want platonic endings to return. Sacred Stones was my first game and the reason why supports became something I loved in that game was the variety of relationships between characters it had. Now a days, it's all shifted towards romance and I really don't like that.

3. Don't really care. I like them either way.

4. Absolutely. Echoes showed me just how much charm voice acting adds to the characters.

5. This question is sort of vague. If you mean limited in the sense like characters could only have 5 conversations like in the old games, then no. If you mean limited as in characters don't support every other character, than I agree. Characters should only support with those that make sense. I dislike the "support anyone" style as character personalities are often dummed down to compensate for it.

1. Yes, I think it gives each character more individuality. Ideally the hint menu would let you know the bonuses gained from each affinity.

2. Yes, but without children. As other users have stated, dating would make a lot more sense. Marriage has always seemed very quick in FE13 and FE14, and without child units, there'd be no need to rush. They should save marriage for character endings.

3. Base Conversations is definitely the better option, as writers can better control the setting and tone of the conversation, while they can't if talks take place during battles.

4. Yes, if it's within their budget. I would support a lesser quantity of support conversations anyway, to focus on the quality of the writing in the more interesting character relationships.

5. No, I definitely hate how you're locked out of characterization if you've used up a characters limit of 5.

Not in the poll, but I would also prefer support growth raised by being deployed the same chapter like in Path of Radiance, rather than forcing them next to each other during battles like the others. This also improves the writers control over the setting and tone, since certain supports just wouldn't be possible to get until certain main story events happen. Gameplay-wise it gives you more freedom in not having to position certain characters next to each other continuously.

1. I said yes just because it's a bonus that while I've never planned around it, it can add a little extra strategy in who you support with who.

2. No, I don't want marriage. I would be fine with S supports if they're just paired endings, but including all types of relationships and not just romantic ones. Kids are a no no at all costs unless they are integral to the story (ie: there's a time skip).

3. Base because I feel it allows for more variety and it's less awkward for two people to be chatting off the battlefield.

4. No, it's more important to have a good quantity. Of course, if they can make them voiced then that's great. It's just not a must for me.

5. I think this is worded a bit confusingly, it could be taken as "not everyone can support with everyone" but I think the intended meaning is "a unit can have 5 conversations per campaign" like in the GBA games. For the former it's a yes, I don't think everyone needs to talk to everyone. For the latter, no, I would like to be able to view all supports in a single play through.

Edited by Book Bro

• 3 weeks later...

Personally, I prefer support conversations taking place after the battle. It just makes more sense that that's when they will be conversing.

I'd prefer voice acting since Echoes did spoil me... but then I wouldn't want the tiny amount that Echoes had, so I put yes but I'm not set on that. I'd prefer not to have every support end in marriage - some can in their endings (like in the GBA games), but let others just be friends. And let friend conversations between males and females happen, too... and also let people like Flora marry people like Jakob instead of being locked to the avatar! (She didn't need to support everyone else... just a few... Part of me now thinks it's so that there was no worries about her kid marrying Felicia's kid or something...). So S/A+ can return, but it doesn't have to mean marriage.

Definitely do not limit the amount of conversations. The fact that Kent and Sain have supported should not lock Kent out of his marriage with Lyn or Farina! (Or any other of the myriad of characters affected by this in the era where this was a thing). The amount of supports a character has with others should be limited to those that would create meaningful interactions... but don't make it like NMotE or Echoes where some characters get like 1 while others get 3 or 4... I want it to be more even than that (plus I'm greedy enough to want each character to get more supports than just a handful. Supports are what made me love this game series in the first place, and why RD and SD remain amongst my least favourite games - although older ones get a pass from the pre-6 era).

Honestly, I'd rather have support conversations be limited this time around. One reason I think Awakening and Fates suffered a lot in the support category is the sheer number of options there were. When you that much supports you have to write, it puts much strain on well writers can write good support dailouges. I think if Three Houses limited the supports to have one character be able to support with up to 5 characters with a relatively smaller cast, I think we could have much better support conversations.

I fully expect them to try and replecate Awakening and Fates's support styles though.

I hope they go back to the FE9 and older version of Supports, where each character has a fixed number (without the "5 partners only/ only one A Rank" limit of the GBA titles, obviously) of in-depth Supports compared to the Fates-style of "everyone can support with everyone but their conversations are incredibly dull and generic," but I doubt that'll happen because IS wants that matchmaker money. I imagine the Avatar would be able to support with everyone, but that's a concession I understand making.

I like the idea of having an A+ and S Support per character though, so I'd be happy to see that come back from Fates (with a conversation per A+ Rank too, if that doesn't spread the character development too thin).

Edited by DefyingFates

I think they should limit supports and if there's going to be marriage then at least don't have everyone support with each other. Some people have bad chemistry and the writing will be dull for a majority of the time. Also, Corrinsexuals deserve more supports.

It's silly for everyone to be bisexual.

I'd prefer it if "S-supports" occured in endings after the first A-support has been reached for characters. Marriage in the middle of war always rubbed me in the wrong way with how it's been presented in the more recent titles. And besides, it feels like it has more meaning, at least to me, to have marriage as a resolution to characters' stories

No children unless time-skip and parents are gone. I don't need out of character copy paste text moments

I really preferred Awakening style. It was frustrating for there to be 2 characters who would've had great supports, but the overwhelming amount of supports in Fates stretched the writing crew too thin. So I think I prefer a limited amount of supports. Also, everyone is bisexual now. I'm tired of them writing perfectly good lesbians only for them to be, like, not actually romantically interested in women, somehow. Either drop it or commit. And if I can't romance the boy-toy of my choice, the game is basically dead to me. Its just difficult for me to get emotionally invested in a game when they advertise love and marriage! Except no, not for you, you little gay idiot. Like watching all your friends get invited to a party-sleepover and nobody even glances your way. Sucks, man. 

20 hours ago, nyainou said:

And if I can't romance the boy-toy of my choice, the game is basically dead to me. Its just difficult for me to get emotionally invested in a game when they advertise love and marriage! 

I think the game is more advertised as a strategy RPG...not a dating simulator...

Anyways...I hope there will be a healthy number of supports for each character. Awakening and Fates had way too many supports and SOV had way too little for most characters. Genny and Silque only supporting one character in the whole game was really disappointing. Especially Silque's support conversation which was basically Faye ignoring her and then go 'ok maybe we can talk'. The End.

8 hours ago, zuibangde said:

I think the game is more advertised as a strategy RPG...not a dating simulator...

But if you have dating simulator elements, you may as well commit and be inclusive. Don't leave out the important bits in my quote: 

On 11/5/2018 at 11:07 AM, nyainou said:

I'm tired of them writing perfectly good lesbians only for them to be, like, not actually romantically interested in women, somehow. Either drop it or commit. And if I can't romance the boy-toy of my choice, the game is basically dead to me. Its just difficult for me to get emotionally invested in a game when they advertise love and marriage! Except no, not for you, you little gay idiot. Like watching all your friends get invited to a party-sleepover and nobody even glances your way. Sucks, man. 

Its not about using FE as a dating simulator, but taking FE's dating simulator elements and making them inclusive. That's how I feel. Sorry if I didn't express that clear enough.