SRPG studio project: Divine Herald

DiogoJorge

Been planning to do this project for a while now, with the release of the demo of SRPG studio, I have been exploring it's tools and resources and began my project. A game to be called Divine Herald. I have 2 versions planned, but for now, I will just focus on the main cannon game, if it goes well enough, I will creat my planned second version of the game.

Anyway, the point of this topic is to do some stormbraining for ideas for the project. For starters I'm going to post here some of the classes that I have planned for this project:

-Noble (lord like class, can use swords)

-Knight (same as cavalier, uses swords and lances)

- Heavy Knight (a cavalier-like that uses swords and axes, has slightly better DEF growth and slightly worse SPD growth)

-Guardian (an foot knight that wields swords)

- Sergeant (an foot knight that wields axes)

- Centurion (an foot knight that wields lances)

- Warrior (foot axeman, acts as a base class, not a promoted one.)

-Swordsmen/Swordmaiden (myrmidon and mercenary as if they were one class)

-White Knight (default promotion for Guardian. Uses Swords and Lances. Has higher SPD and RES than other armored classes)

-Black Knight (default promotion for Sergeant. Uses Axes and Swords. Has higher STR and SKL than other armored classes)

-Warlord (default promotion for Warrior. Uses Axes, Swords and Lances. Has decent DEF and great STR)

This all looks good but I think you should change the name of the White and Black knight.

The reasonn you should change the name of the White Knight class is because that word is ususally used to refer to someone who tries to be overly nice to women (and act as their defender) in hopes of getting them laid and thus most of them are virgins, the other white knights that aren't virgins just lost their dignity and self-respect.

Some reccomendations for other class names:

Light Armor
Holy Armor

The reason to change the black knights name simply could be for symettric effect so recommendations are quite obvious:

Heavy Armor
Zweihänder (German for 2 handed or something like that, in context means 2 handed sword)
Hell Armor ( A bit extreme but just added here for "symmetricity")
PANZER! (Memes)

5 hours ago, This boi uses Nino said:

The reasonn you should change the name of the White Knight class is because that word is ususally used to refer to someone who tries to be overly nice to women (and act as their defender) in hopes of getting them laid and thus most of them are virgins, the other white knights that aren't virgins just lost their dignity and self-respect.

Uh, you do know that the term "white knight" didn't just pop into existence in the early part of this decade, right?  And that most non-Americans and non-gamers would have no idea what you're talking about.

Anyway, I would maybe recommend the same just simply based off of the fact that there's literally a FE character called "Black Knight".  Sure, there's lots of media out there that also use that, but I just feel it'd be rather suspect for an SRPG to use a name/term that is rather uncommon (compared to something like "mercenary" or "noble") and shared with that of another (well known) SRPG.

Also, a cavalier that uses axes and swords, but no lances?  That's a little odd unless the "axe" is actually a halberd or the "sword" is a claymore.  Cavalry always have a weapon with reach in a warfare setting.  This is to take advantage of their heightened position over enemy infantry.  They either have bows or lances as their primary weapon.  And heavy knights in particular would always charge at the enemy with a lance in the initial attack, using it as a pike to skewer a foe at max speed and changing to smaller weapons only once they're in the thick of the battle.

Though I'm just arguing from a realism standpoint, knowing full well that FE has gone the route of lance-less cavaliers in the Radiance games.

4 hours ago, Ertrick36 said:

Uh, you do know that the term "white knight" didn't just pop into existence in the early part of this decade, right?  And that most non-Americans and non-gamers would have no idea what you're talking about.

I never mentioned anything about everybody having to know what these terms mean or something similar, it is quite obvious once you do some research that Diogo ain't from the US so I knew that but since the game is meant to be released in English which means that most of the people playing the game will:

1.-  Be gamers and thus involved in the internet and
2.- Will be from the US

18 hours ago, This boi uses Nino said:

This all looks good but I think you should change the name of the White and Black knight.

Some reccomendations for other class names:

Light Armor
Holy Armor

The reason to change the black knights name simply could be for symettric effect so recommendations are quite obvious:

Heavy Armor
Zweihänder (German for 2 handed or something like that, in context means 2 handed sword)
Hell Armor ( A bit extreme but just added here for "symmetricity")
PANZER! (Memes)

Tactics Ogre also had the white knight class, and I associate the name with elite knights or knights in shining armor (those who lived a spotless and dedicated life to chivalry). And Black Knights, I associate with knights that value power over chivalry (but still put value into it). I think they sound cool.

This needs to be said, black knights aren't evil, their name comes from their black armor and their more pragmatic approach to combat, pretty much how dark knights aren't evil in Fire Emblem either, it all comes down to what kind of person they are to determine that.

Anyway, I would maybe recommend the same just simply based off of the fact that there's literally a FE character called "Black Knight".  Sure, there's lots of media out there that also use that, but I just feel it'd be rather suspect for an SRPG to use a name/term that is rather uncommon (compared to something like "mercenary" or "noble") and shared with that of another (well known) SRPG.

Also, a cavalier that uses axes and swords, but no lances?  That's a little odd unless the "axe" is actually a halberd or the "sword" is a claymore.  Cavalry always have a weapon with reach in a warfare setting.  This is to take advantage of their heightened position over enemy infantry.  They either have bows or lances as their primary weapon.  And heavy knights in particular would always charge at the enemy with a lance in the initial attack, using it as a pike to skewer a foe at max speed and changing to smaller weapons only once they're in the thick of the battle.

Though I'm just arguing from a realism standpoint, knowing full well that FE has gone the route of lance-less cavaliers in the Radiance gam

I suppose, but I want to avoid a name that is creepy, like hell knight, death knight or terror knight. A black knight, simply implies that they wear black armor,whitout putting into question their honour as knights. I guess I could go with Juggernaut instead.

Maybe, I could make it so they use Lances and Axes instead. That way it would fit perfectly with another possible promotion, the Dragoon class (which uses Lances and Axes).

Anyway, a bit unrelated, but I assume you already know how to create hybrid classes in SRPG studio? It basically requires 2 animations (or 3, if you honestly think a melee, archer and mage weapons put together is a good idea.) One animation does the work for melee weaponry and the other animation is for when it uses bows/magic. Basically, when picking an animation (by clicking on the class sprite), there's this option called original, that allows you to pick an animation for all 3 possible animations, fighter, mage and archer. 

Edited by DiogoJorge

5 hours ago, DiogoJorge said:

I suppose, but I want to avoid a name that is creepy, like hell knight, death knight or terror knight. A black knight, simply implies that they wear black armor,whitout putting into question their honour as knights. I guess I could go with Juggernaut instead.

Such situations are what call for a thesaurus.  I'm serious, as a writer myself I think the thesaurus is a great tool for avoiding literary repetition and plagiarism.  Heck, FE has another equivalent that might be less... unique, and it's called "Dark Knight".  Or you could go with "Blackguard" or something along those lines.  This is if you really want to keep in line with the theme of black and white, though I would suggest if you want to do such themes that you think about what they mean for/how they tie in with the story, setting, and characters.

And as you've included classes like "Centurion", I'm sure you know that researching history is great for finding new names for weapons, classes, items, and the like, as well as determining the type of culture you want your world to have.

6 hours ago, DiogoJorge said:

Maybe, I could make it so they use Lances and Axes instead. That way it would fit perfectly with another possible promotion, the Dragoon class (which uses Lances and Axes).

Anyway, a bit unrelated, but I assume you already know how to create hybrid classes in SRPG studio? It basically requires 2 animations (or 3, if you honestly think a melee, archer and mage weapons put together is a good idea.) One animation does the work for melee weaponry and the other animation is for when it uses bows/magic. Basically, when picking an animation (by clicking on the class sprite), there's this option called original, that allows you to pick an animation for all 3 possible animations, fighter, mage and archer. 

- That's pretty much what I was thinking.  Waraxes are also a form of personal weapon, along with maces and combat daggers, so it works as a horseman's secondary.  Though making poleaxes and claymores isn't a terrible idea either, assuming you are capable of making the sprites for such weapons.

- Yeah, I know.  Though at first I didn't realize such classes would be listed under "Compound Classes".  The interesting thing to note is that these class types allow for three different types of animations; a melee weapon that is also a missile (what I call projectiles), a weapon that fires missiles, and a weapon that is a flashy animation that envelopes the enemy.  That's useful if you want to make weapons such as rifles, slings, fists, or special energy blasts (akin to the Kamehameha Wave or Spirit Ball in Dragon Ball), or any other weapons not represented in FE.  Keep that in mind if you ever have the idea to do something "out of the norm".

On 07/10/2018 at 7:45 PM, Ertrick36 said:

Such situations are what call for a thesaurus.  I'm serious, as a writer myself I think the thesaurus is a great tool for avoiding literary repetition and plagiarism.  Heck, FE has another equivalent that might be less... unique, and it's called "Dark Knight".  Or you could go with "Blackguard" or something along those lines.  This is if you really want to keep in line with the theme of black and white, though I would suggest if you want to do such themes that you think about what they mean for/how they tie in with the story, setting, and characters.

And as you've included classes like "Centurion", I'm sure you know that researching history is great for finding new names for weapons, classes, items, and the like, as well as determining the type of culture you want your world to have.

- That's pretty much what I was thinking.  Waraxes are also a form of personal weapon, along with maces and combat daggers, so it works as a horseman's secondary.  Though making poleaxes and claymores isn't a terrible idea either, assuming you are capable of making the sprites for such weapons.

- Yeah, I know.  Though at first I didn't realize such classes would be listed under "Compound Classes".  The interesting thing to note is that these class types allow for three different types of animations; a melee weapon that is also a missile (what I call projectiles), a weapon that fires missiles, and a weapon that is a flashy animation that envelopes the enemy.  That's useful if you want to make weapons such as rifles, slings, fists, or special energy blasts (akin to the Kamehameha Wave or Spirit Ball in Dragon Ball), or any other weapons not represented in FE.  Keep that in mind if you ever have the idea to do something "out of the norm".

Sure.

• 2 weeks later...

Going to present those 2 videos of 2 chapters I have created. It uses default resources and it still has ways to go and to improve upon, specially since I don't have the full version yet, but while I wait for the right time to do so, I would rather use some time polishing those chapters.

These chapters are extremely basic and symettric in the small details.

I like it when my maps have some mountains or some river somewhere to give the map a good feel even if you won't ever go there it adds history to the place you're fighting; if the place has 2 rivers then there is major agricultural activity here or if they are atop the mountains then the people here probably are good merchants because of their need to trade or maybe a place surrounded by mountains is a military city because of its easily defendable places. Of course not every chapter including the first ones should have these high history maps but a good way to make a map a bit more appealing without the afore mentioned tactics is:

Dont make everything cut out in straight lines and then turn by 90 degrees somewhere else.
lIOwg7n.png

Here if we look at the mountains to the west it's ok it doesn't look symetrical and that's fine, since nature isn't symetrical but then we get to the giant forest in the middle and rather than being random it almost is a symmetrical regular polygon which looks awkward, first of all because it's a big forest in which you only ever use it's outskirts but second because it looks unnatural and if we look to the cliffs to the east where the village resides the cliff aparently just formed superregular polygon-like of course I'm not saying it should all be a curve it just means that it looks unnatural, Chapter 1 and 2 also have this problem of everything being cut out in squares or lines.

Also just gameplay wise I think that choke point makes this map into a Elvion meat grinder so maybe remove it? it's very easy to just camp in there and let the bandits die one by one.

Other than that I still want to play a demo already but I have to wait I guess.

Edited by Critical Sniper

This looks pretty damn cool. I especially like the idea of the heavy knight, kind of like how wyverns are like pegasus but with axes instead of lances and different spreads of bases and growths. I'll definitely check this out upon release.

Edited by Geenoble

On 23/10/2018 at 11:26 PM, Critical Sniper said:

These chapters are extremely basic and symettric in the small details.

I like it when my maps have some mountains or some river somewhere to give the map a good feel even if you won't ever go there it adds history to the place you're fighting; if the place has 2 rivers then there is major agricultural activity here or if they are atop the mountains then the people here probably are good merchants because of their need to trade or maybe a place surrounded by mountains is a military city because of its easily defendable places. Of course not every chapter including the first ones should have these high history maps but a good way to make a map a bit more appealing without the afore mentioned tactics is:

Dont make everything cut out in straight lines and then turn by 90 degrees somewhere else.
lIOwg7n.png

Here if we look at the mountains to the west it's ok it doesn't look symetrical and that's fine, since nature isn't symetrical but then we get to the giant forest in the middle and rather than being random it almost is a symmetrical regular polygon which looks awkward, first of all because it's a big forest in which you only ever use it's outskirts but second because it looks unnatural and if we look to the cliffs to the east where the village resides the cliff aparently just formed superregular polygon-like of course I'm not saying it should all be a curve it just means that it looks unnatural, Chapter 1 and 2 also have this problem of everything being cut out in squares or lines.

Also just gameplay wise I think that choke point makes this map into a Elvion meat grinder so maybe remove it? it's very easy to just camp in there and let the bandits die one by one.

Other than that I still want to play a demo already but I have to wait I guess.

Yeah, I'm afraid you will have to wait quite a while, since I'm waiting for some kind of discount before buying the full version of the program, if there is one even, if not around december, then I will just buy it by it's full price. I will take your advice into account and see what I can do to sharpen those maps further.

EDIT: What do you think of this?

20181025094103_1.jpg.6d4616f098321cba01ada5adb2e3ce85.jpg

Edited by DiogoJorge
correcting grammar

SRPG studio's skill creation is a bit limited, but once I understand how the custom skill function works, I should be able to do something. If someone knows how to reproduce the effects of certain skills, like Fiery blood and other more unorthodox skills that are difficult to reproduce with the default functions of SRPG studio, it would be apreciated.

Anyway, I'm going to present some ideas for skills for the characters:

Elvion:

Leadership I, II and III: Learned at lv 4,20 and 35 respectively. Allied units in a 3 radius receive bonuses to hit, evade and critical evade. Gets replaced by higher ranks as he levels up. I raises by 5, II raises by 10 and III affects all playable units with no concern for radius.

Bold Strike: Learns at lv 8. Attacks first when attacked, activates by the formula of STR = %.Braveheart replaces it at lv 25 and makes the formula  STR x2 = %

Justice Seeker (Learned at lv 15. Causes effective damage against target. formula is Elvion's lv = %. Gets replaced by Divine Justice at lv 30, which changes the fomula to lv x2 = %

Roselia:

Mischievous: Learned at lv 4 (reduces hit rate of enemies adjacent to her. replaced by misdirection tactics at lv 15, which gets replaced by advanced tactics at lv 35. Misdirection has a radius of 2, and advanced tactics has a radius of 4.

Magic Talent I, II and III: Learned at lv 6, 20 and 30 respectively. Increases MAG value by 1, 2 and 4  respectively.

Redirect: Learned at lv 8. Same effect as Canto.

Initiative: Learned at lv 10. If attacked, unit goes first if HP is below 50%. Gets replaced by Ambush at lv 25 which increases the treeshold to 75% instead.

Mikah:

Thrill of Battle I, II and III: Learned at 4, 15 and 25 respectively. Increases STR and MAG by 2 if HP is below 70%, increases the value to 3 at II and the threshold to 100% at III.

Blazing Blow: Learned at lv 8. Increases critical by 10% when attacking an enemy. replaced by Inferno Storm at lv 28 which increases the value to 20%.

Audacity: Learned at lv 20. If 3 or more enemies nearby, increases own's DEF by 2 .

Demon Hand: Learned at lv 35, chance to attack first and cause critical damage. Works on when attacking too, but doesn't have the attack first effect for obvious reasons. Formula is SKL = %

Edited by DiogoJorge

On 10/24/2018 at 5:16 AM, DiogoJorge said:

EDIT: What do you think of this?

20181025094103_1.jpg.6d4616f098321cba01ada5adb2e3ce85.jpg

Well The cliff with the village the archer is from (I'm sorry I cant remember her name I always read it as Enemy) is better although the forest in the middle is a bit weird, you dont need a hole in the middle just to make it not like a perfect polygon other than that I guess I would say it is fine.

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎2018‎-‎11‎-‎01 at 5:55 AM, DiogoJorge said:

Bought the full version, yesterday. Now I can create more maps and other stuff. Now, I wonder where I can find an easy to use sprite editor.

Kind of late to the party, but do you have a specific style in mind? And would you be comfortable with making your own sprites? A real sprite editor, it's tricky, since the assets are sometimes borrowed or may not be free to use or commercialize. Anyways, some links that could be useful:

Free, easy interface, lets you create animations: https://www.piskelapp.com/

Way overkill, but let's you do 2D rigs. Also, purchasable ressource packs: https://brashmonkey.com/

I have no idea what this one's about but it's there: https://www.codeandweb.com/sprite-sheet-maker

21 hours ago, PlaYeRaNoN said:

Kind of late to the party, but do you have a specific style in mind? And would you be comfortable with making your own sprites? A real sprite editor, it's tricky, since the assets are sometimes borrowed or may not be free to use or commercialize. Anyways, some links that could be useful:

Free, easy interface, lets you create animations: https://www.piskelapp.com/

Way overkill, but let's you do 2D rigs. Also, purchasable ressource packs: https://brashmonkey.com/

I have no idea what this one's about but it's there: https://www.codeandweb.com/sprite-sheet-maker

Thank you. Don't know if I will be able to put it to good use, but I will see if I can make something with those.

1 hour ago, DiogoJorge said:

Thank you. Don't know if I will be able to put it to good use, but I will see if I can make something with those.

I'm glad- if this ends up helping.

I know this is probably not what you are looking for, buuut at least it's there. Don't get me wrong, I'm a complete noob but I feel using the applications you feel are best for the task at hand and work best with your workflow (and time constraints) is a good way to go.

Don't be scared to explore new software: might have interesting tools to use that could save you time. But really, you could probably do the entirety of your artistic work on photoshop or even paint.NET.

If it doesn't work? You could collaborate with other artists and creators- if a common agreement is met. You not only have concepts but material to showcase and work with, and that's more than people usually have. Cheers!

• 2 months later...

Well then, I'm returning to this project of mine and decided to create mugshots for my characters using the GBA models:

Here's Roselia's new face:

20190208104937_1.jpg.55690136d6e22df125256405c977d72a.jpg

Want to add some more volume to her hair and give her a more confident smirk as well make her armor a bit more pleasing to the eyes, but otherwise, looks good.

16 hours ago, DiogoJorge said:

20190208104937_1.jpg.55690136d6e22df125256405c977d72a.jpg

Hmm it's a bit weird and far from perfect. Like on one of the eyes you look a bit down from there and the color of the face is like an entirely different shade, and even lighting wouldn't make sense for it, also above the headband thing it also has the same kind of problem and I also think the hair is a few too many pixels high and the face could be maybe looking at a place not where the camera is like to make sense for the armor's direction and finally yes the armor needs some polishing.

I'll give you credit for actually trying to do this, many others would have just asked some splicing dude so that's one bonus point to you.

10 hours ago, Critical Sniper said:

Hmm it's a bit weird and far from perfect. Like on one of the eyes you look a bit down from there and the color of the face is like an entirely different shade, and even lighting wouldn't make sense for it, also above the headband thing it also has the same kind of problem and I also think the hair is a few too many pixels high and the face could be maybe looking at a place not where the camera is like to make sense for the armor's direction and finally yes the armor needs some polishing.

I'll give you credit for actually trying to do this, many others would have just asked some splicing dude so that's one bonus point to you.

I suppose so. I'm trying alternative forms to this and comparing to other faces to see what colors I can use for each part.

EDIT: Guess I will just go with the normal size after all. It looks smoother at the expense of being a smaller mugshot, but it will do for now. 

Here's Mikah, which combines Karla's face with Eirika's hair, with a few adjustments. It's suprisingly easily to change a Karla's frown to a smile just by adding a single dot at the end of their lips. As for her hair, I'm trying to make it spikier and I cut off some length from Eirika's hair, which is a bit longer than what is shown here.

Mikah.png.2245bc2d3b99f552975df0e1676851d2.png

Edited by DiogoJorge

10 hours ago, DiogoJorge said:

Here's Mikah, which combines Karla's face with Eirika's hair, with a few adjustments. It's suprisingly easily to change a Karla's frown to a smile just by adding a single dot at the end of their lips. As for her hair, I'm trying to make it spikier and I cut off some length from Eirika's hair, which is a bit longer than what is shown here.

Mikah.png.2245bc2d3b99f552975df0e1676851d2.png

Who was Mikah? I supose she will be a thief right? Well yes it is incredibly simple to edit the mouth however it ain't the same color as her lip and it looks more like a beauty mark, the hair looks good too but for some reason I'm weirded out by one part of the hair being somewhat long, I feel like the one placed in opposite of the aforementioned long hair could  become a little longer whilst still remaining her spiky hair.

Overall looks good though. Don't forget to add that one psycopath mommy fanservice that it looks like every game must include now </sarcasm>

2 hours ago, Critical Sniper said:

Who was Mikah? I supose she will be a thief right? Well yes it is incredibly simple to edit the mouth however it ain't the same color as her lip and it looks more like a beauty mark, the hair looks good too but for some reason I'm weirded out by one part of the hair being somewhat long, I feel like the one placed in opposite of the aforementioned long hair could  become a little longer whilst still remaining her spiky hair.

Overall looks good though. Don't forget to add that one psycopath mommy fanservice that it looks like every game must include now </sarcasm>

Actually she will be a fighter and a tanky one at that. That piece of long red hair is difficult to remove, since if I remove it, I have to place cloth in it's place since the hair is covering it, which would be difficult to build in a way that doesn't look off.

1 minute ago, DiogoJorge said:

Actually she will be a fighter and a tanky one at that. That piece of long red hair is difficult to remove, since if I remove it, I have to place cloth in it's place since the hair is covering it, which would be difficult to build in a way that doesn't look off.

Ohh she looks small though but no i didnt mean you should make the hair shorter bu the string of hair behind her face should be slightly longer, with still a sharpy edge