Most awkward S-Support?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Basically any pairing that was implied to be siblings in any way. Corrin and any of the Fates siblings, for instance. Or Geoffrey and Elincia, who were raised as foster siblings, and Sothe and Micaiah who literally called each other brother and sister. As someone that grew up with stepsiblings, I find these very disturbing.

Also pairings with large age gaps or pairings between a far grown adult and child, such as Gregor with...almost anyone, and Frederick with Lissa or Gunter with Corrin.

Edited by Anacybele

Incest is an obvious one.  That's just loads of weird.  Even if it's only between in-laws.

A lot of Corrin's romance options are just bumbling and awkward.

Sylvia x anyone besides Dew or Azelle because she's only 14-16 through the course of the 1st generation's story.

Finn's relationships are awkward just on account of the fact that he somehow always ends up losing all of his weapons in the 2nd generation.  Seriously, this happens every time because no son or daughter he could transfer items to can use lances, so they just disappear into the ether.  What the hell did you do with your frickin' weapons, man?  Why do you lose all your spears when you get married?

Corrin and Gunther deserves a special mention since Gunther is pretty much the closest thing she has to a dad. Fuuga going after the daughter of his best friend is rather uncomfortable as well. 

And then there are Corrin and any of the Hoshidan siblings because IS had to bend and mutate the plot at the last moment for it to become possible. 

On 10/5/2018 at 8:33 PM, Captain Karnage said:

The one where my parents walked in on me getting said S support. Cira 2013

Do I want to hear this story or not...?

But yeah, age gaps, incest. Pretty much.

Just now, Interdimensional Observer said:

For those who brand Roy as overly weak, well this is from the end of the game, but it does exist.

04.png

Insofar as it is canon, Roy fought Zephiel directly, probably being the one who is supposed to have canonically slain him. Of course, we'd then need to establish Zephiel's power level. But Zephiel would might be weaker than Medeus, so Marth would be superior to Roy, barring the Binding Blade. Idunn is certainly weaker than Medeus. So to establish Zephiel's power level, we'd want to look at other humans, like Black Knights 1.0 and 3.0. 

Wrong thread?

On 10/6/2018 at 2:44 AM, Etrurian emperor said:

Corrin and Gunther deserves a special mention since Gunther is pretty much the closest thing she has to a dad. Fuuga going after the daughter of his best friend is rather uncomfortable as well. 

Hmmm, with Gunther, Fuuga, and Rinea, I presume that Corrin really loves older people. 

There are several S-supports that just feel plain weird to me.
From Fates we have:
Odin x Nyx (Hey, make kids with me, will you?)
Leo x Nyx (see above)
Corrin x Selena (as funny as I personally find it, I can't deny that it's pretty freaking weird)
Corrin x any of the child characters (for the obvious reasons, bonus weirdness if said child is the child of one of his/her "siblings")
Midori x Asugi (they're cousins, so...)
Corrin x any of his / her "siblings" (pseudo-incest doesn't fly well with me)
Corrin x Azura (and neither does this, because this is FULL ON incest)
Niles x anybody (I still pair him up to get Nina, but I can't deny that the guy rubs me the wrong way)

And Awakening has:
anyone that isn't Tharja x Henry (Nowi's takes the cake in terms of sheer squickiness, though)
Robin x any of the child characters (unfortunate implications are unfortunate)
Gregor x anybody (same as Niles. The dude gives me all the wrong vibes)
Severa x Inigo (the two have ZERO chemistry)
Laurent x Nah (can you spell S-Q-U-I-C-K?)
F!Robin x Yarne ("Hey, let's repopulate my species!")
M!Robin x Tharja (In which Robin develops a severe case of Stockholm Syndrome)

1 hour ago, DragonFlames said:

(Nowi's takes the cake in terms of sheer squickiness, though)

Yeah.  I can't pair her with anyone other than Ricken.

Even then it feels weird because I'm not sure how old he is physically compared to Nowi, who I thought was about 10-11 in Manakete years when I played the game (assuming a Manakete year is about 100 human years).  I'm bad at discerning anime characters' ages.

Unless the context told us that incest was a common practice within the Nohr royal family (and I seriously doubt that Nintendo would have allowed it), Corrin having S-Support with her Nohr siblings is plain wrong. Here it does not matter that they are not blood related, they all grew up knowing each other as siblings, and this interaction is precisely what defines a family. Developing romantic feelings among any of them is just sickening.

I could understand if Cornflakes developed romantic/ platonic feelings towards her Hoshido siblings, for she did not grow up with them and they are no more than strangers to her. Even they were indeed blood related, I could picture an awkward (non-corresponded) attraction from Corrinette towards her siblings.
Now, if Ryoma or Hinoka had romantic feelings for Corrin, that would be awfully disgusting, for they knew her little sister and longed to return her home for years.

On 10/5/2018 at 7:39 PM, Anacybele said:

Basically any pairing that was implied to be siblings in any way. Corrin and any of the Fates siblings, for instance. Or Geoffrey and Elincia, who were raised as foster siblings, and Sothe and Micaiah who literally called each other brother and sister. As someone that grew up with stepsiblings, I find these very disturbing.

I completely agree about the first two (especially Elincia and Geoffrey) but when did Micaiah or Sothe ever refer to each other as brother and sister? The closest to it that I can remember is in Path of Radiance, when Ike asks, “the person you’re looking for, are they family?” And Sothe answers, “We’re not related by blood or anything, but yeah; we’re definitely family.” Sothe and Micaiah is probably the only one I am fine with, if only because I have a sister, and yeah; they do not act like brother and sister. Even Ike sees in Radiant Dawn that they’re relationship is not that of siblings.

5 hours ago, DragonFlames said:

To be fair, they don’t know that in Birthright or Conquest. I completely agree though; it’s still immensely disgusting once you find out in Revelations. 

1 minute ago, vanguard333 said:

I completely agree about the first two (especially Elincia and Geoffrey) but when did Micaiah or Sothe ever refer to each other as brother and sister? The closest to it that I can remember is in Path of Radiance, when Ike asks, “the person you’re looking for, are they family?” And Sothe answers, “We’re not related by blood or anything, but yeah; we’re definitely family.” Sothe and Micaiah is probably the only one I am fine with, if only because I have a sister, and yeah; they do not act like brother and sister. Even Ike sees in Radiant Dawn that they’re relationship is not that of siblings.

Micaiah literally calls Sothe her brother in both RD and Heroes.

Just now, Anacybele said:

Micaiah literally calls Sothe her brother in both RD and Heroes.

Really? I genuinely don’t remember that in RD, and I haven’t played Echoes since before Micaiah became available. 

One support I just thought of: Boyd and Mist. Their actual support conversations in Path of Radiance are pretty nice, but it just seems so weird. I would normally be fine with it as just another example in popular media of one friend ending up with the other friend’s sister, but there’s one thing that ruins it: she’s a kid! She’s closer in age to Rolf than to Boyd. Also, she and Rolf are much closer in Path of Radiance than her and Boyd. I would have much preferred Mist and Rolf. 

10 hours ago, DragonFlames said:

Corrin x any of his / her "siblings" (pseudo-incest doesn't fly well with me)
Niles x anybody (I still pair him up to get Nina, but I can't deny that the guy rubs me the wrong way)
M!Robin x Tharja (In which Robin develops a severe case of Stockholm Syndrome)

I can agree with these ones.

And that reminds me that I totally forgot to mention Oboro x Niles in particular.  Oboro is one of my favorite characters (pretty much my favorite from Fates), and she actually pairs decently with a lot of other characters... but damn, she has no business whatsoever getting with Niles.  Yeah, she doesn't start off well with most Nohrians, but she at least gets on speaking terms with them by B-rank and gets friendly at A-rank.  Not with Niles though, it takes until A-rank for them to simply get to actual speaking terms, and even then Niles is still afraid that him speaking will make Oboro mad at S-rank.

I also feel I should mention Soleil x Ophelia.  Yeah, that's only up to A-rank, but it certainly feels as creepy and awkward as any actual pairing.  It's a shame, because I actually kind of like Soleil, but shit like her B-support with Ophelia really rubs me the wrong way.  That and the fact she has no S-supports with women just sucks, and the implications of this are exceptionally homophobic in nature (particularly in the Japanese version, where her all S-supports were actually romantic).  But that's another discussion entirely.

Honestly, I'm not fond of any of Corrin's S-Supports. They're all just clumsy and awkward. I especially don't like the Corrin's S's with Azura, the eight royal siblings, and the older characters, all of those are particularly gross. I'm also not fond of Inigo and Nah's S-Support, that one was just...cruel and icky. I'm sure there's others, but those are the ones that come to my mind first.

21 hours ago, Von Ithipathachai said:

Yeah.  I can't pair her with anyone other than Ricken.

Even then it feels weird because I'm not sure how old he is physically compared to Nowi, who I thought was about 10-11 in Manakete years when I played the game (assuming a Manakete year is about 100 human years).  I'm bad at discerning anime characters' ages.

With me, it hasn't even anything to do with Nowi looking young. The S-support with Henry would just be all kinds of wrong no matter what female was involved with it. Though I agree, guessing anime character's ages is hard (mostly because they usually suffer from Older Than They Look).

16 hours ago, vanguard333 said:

To be fair, they don’t know that in Birthright or Conquest. I completely agree though; it’s still immensely disgusting once you find out in Revelations. 

That makes it all the weirder for me, to be honest.
That's like your parents getting a divorce when you are little (say, an infant or 1-2 years old) and your mother or father gets a new partner and has another child with them. And you just so happen to meet said child later in life when you are an adult and don't live with your parent anymore. And  you fall in love with him / her, and he / she falls in love with you. You get married and only THEN do you find out you're half-siblings. That'd be pretty freaking weird, wouldn't it?

Adding to my original post, here are some awkward pairings from older games where S-supports weren't a thing:
Hector x Florina (their personalities are just too different and nothing in their original supports suggests any romantic interest)
Boyd x Mist (both of these pairings don't work for physical reasons)
Geoffrey x Elincia (grew up as siblings. This is about as weird as say Corrin x Camilla)
Sothe x Micaiah (I have several problems with this: first, Micaiah is basically Sothe's mom, second, she refers to him as her "brother")
Gray x Clair (I already went over why this pairing bothers me in another topic, but TL;DR: it is implied Gray molested Clair until she said yes)

I am aware, some of these are canon pairings, but I don't give a crap. That makes it all the more odd to me.

I will fully admit that this is on the more personal side, and it doesn't really fit the usage of "awkward" in this thread, but I found F!Robin and Fredrick's S-support to be... strange... as the previous S-support I had unlocked was Stahl and Panne's. Considering that the latter is still one of my favorite S-supports in the game, and helped make Stahl my favorite Fire Emblem character, all because it somehow turned a conversation about food that ended on a humorous note into one of the most balanced proposals in the game (let's see, he uses something as simple and even silly as food to get Panne to socialize more, and uses the opportunity to slowly learn more about her personality and character. He fully acknowledges and accepts that marrying her will have diplomatic responsibilities, but that he's proposing first and foremost because he genuinely loves her. I will be the first to admit that the whole support chain does more for Stahl than it does Panne, but I still like it overall for how much it surprised and impressed me), I was expecting to be pleasantly surprised by another conversation that dealt with food. While I wouldn't say it was the worse S-support in the game, far, far from it, it was still pretty awkward to read for me personally. On the bright side, I unlocked both of these supports pretty early on, so I learned pretty quickly that Awakenings writing quality would have its ups and downs.

As I can't really think of any more specific pairings at the moment, I think I'll go with more broad ones:

- S-supports were instead of the pairing coming out of nowhere because the writers strangled them with red string, the characters themselves feel like they're rushing into a marriage they haven't fully thought through yet! Which pairings fall into this category will differ between people, but needless to say, these can be uncomfortable to read, both for people who like shipping said characters, or for those who pair units up based on efficiency.

- Any marriage where you know their paired ending will be... less than happy. It ranges from person to person, of course, but knowing/learning that Gregor won't get along with Maribelles family, or that Gaius drags quite a few of his spouses into a life of thievery and villainy, or that sometimes Kellam being added to an originally solo ending only makes it worse (looking at you, Tharja!), isn't very inspiring to pair those characters up again, to say the least.

8 hours ago, DragonFlames said:

With me, it hasn't even anything to do with Nowi looking young. The S-support with Henry would just be all kinds of wrong no matter what female was involved with it. Though I agree, guessing anime character's ages is hard (mostly because they usually suffer from Older Than They Look).

That's like your parents getting a divorce when you are little (say, an infant or 1-2 years old) and your mother or father gets a new partner and has another child with them. And you just so happen to meet said child later in life when you are an adult and don't live with your parent anymore. And  you fall in love with him / her, and he / she falls in love with you. You get married and only THEN do you find out you're half-siblings. That'd be pretty freaking weird, wouldn't it?

Adding to my original post, here are some awkward pairings from older games where S-supports weren't a thing:
Hector x Florina (their personalities are just too different and nothing in their original supports suggests any romantic interest)
Boyd x Mist (both of these pairings don't work for physical reasons)
Geoffrey x Elincia (grew up as siblings. This is about as weird as say Corrin x Camilla)
Sothe x Micaiah (I have several problems with this: first, Micaiah is basically Sothe's mom, second, she refers to him as her "brother")
Gray x Clair (I already went over why this pairing bothers me in another topic, but TL;DR: it is implied Gray molested Clair until she said yes)

I am aware, some of these are canon pairings, but I don't give a crap. That makes it all the more odd to me.

Ok, you mind giving me the link to this or explaining this one.

Robin and Corrin x any of the second gen units. Robin x Lucina especially. How could you even think about getting with your best friend's future daughter? "But it makes the story more emotional", uh, no. If you want Robin to be in the Ylissean Royal Family, either marry Chrom, Lissa or Emmeryn. Robin will at least be either Lucina's mother, or uncle.

Corrin x Gunter or Fuuga is gross~

Robin x Gangrel - um, Gangrel was responsible for her best friend's sister's death, I don't think Robin would do that.

Sakura, Elise, Hayato x any character that is older than them.

Roy x Cecilia - ...she's his teacher, and she's a lot older than him.

Kaze x Kagero is a weird one for me. Kagero used to date Saizo, and with Saizo and Kaze being twin brothers...I think Kaze is too honourable a man to do that.

10 hours ago, DragonFlames said:

Don't get me wrong; it is all the weirder for it. When I said, "To be fair", I really meant, "To be fair to the characters (or to anyone who, like me, paired Corrin Azura on their spoiler-free first playthroughs of Birthright, Conquest, and Revelation in that order and was horrified when that particular bit of information was revealed)", not, "To be fair to the writers". Seriously; what were the writers thinking?

6 hours ago, Tolvir said:

Ok, you mind giving me the link to this or explaining this one.

It's more like:

• C-support: Gray tries to flirt on Clair, but it fails spectacularly
  • B-support: Gray professes feelings for Clair, but she tells him off
  • A-support: Clair apologizes for some reason, and thinks about her wrongdoing of not wanting to get romantically involved with a boy who keeps throwing vain words of love at her in the middle of a frickin' battlefield; also, pretty confident she's implying that Gray is a sloppy second, since she prefaces the whole discussion with "I learned that Alm and Celica have feelings for each other, so..."
  • Ending: They get married off-screen

It's all here.  Even if that wasn't classified as harassment, it's still poor relationship building.  It's one of a few supports I think were done poorly in that game; I ended up thinking Alm was a better suitor for her than Gray.

I've never understood the appeal of a woman being wooed simply by a boy telling her that he loves her.  Makes me think of Brave New World, and how one of the characters - Lenina - was just ready to make mad love to the protagonist for no reason except she thought he was hot, and that's not a good book to be compared to for anything regarding substantial relationships.