Can someone help me with sprite formatting with SRPG studio?

Hecatia

I want to make something with this awesome thing and I want to use NES-era resources, since I can make mugshots in that style.

Now, to use the sprites here you must edit the sprite sheet so when you import it to the program you can insert them without any sort of blank space.
https://www.spriters-resource.com/nes/fireemblemshadowdragonthebladeoflight/sheet/189/
Is there any easy way to do this instead of checking, like, every two seconds if the square aligns with the map chip?

I myself would export the standard SRPG sprites, and then use GIMP to paste the new sprites over the standard ones with some basic layer work.

It's important to keep in mind that every sprite frame's dimensions are equal to all other frames for the sprite.  So to figure out the grid, so to speak, divide the width and the length by however many frame rows and columns there are.  So for example, the face graphics' dimensions would be as follows: width = (384/4=96) | length = (384/4=96), and thus the dimensions of each face graphic is 96 x 96, so you can only have each graphical piece within grids of those dimensions or else you'll get graphical glitches.

Also, the battle sprites are kind of special.  There's RTP assets and then non-RTP assets.  RTP assets are graphic sheets of a specific size and make that when transferred into the program are automatically applied when you set them as new animations.  With non-RTP assets, you may have them be as large or small as you want, but you will have to manually create the animations.  And you must place a special symbol at the beginning of a battle sprite's filename if they're either archer types (#) or mage ($), otherwise they'll be interpreted as a standard melee unit, but only for the battle sprites.  The same applies for map tile sheets that are meant as pieces to other sheets (!3) (I believe they go in a certain order), face graphics of a larger resolution (576 x 576, or others that leave the individual sprites as 144 x 144 graphics; they're marked with a ! ), and day/evening/night backgrounds.

Basically, I'd just say export the default assets and study how they're designed, then follow their stringent rules and use GIMP or Adobe graphical tools to make things easier.  It's way easier than just trying to jam FE assets into the program.

Hmm... I was so sure that I missed a step on this...

I was checking if I could do that, but the demo version doesn't let me do that, unfortunately... Is there a page where I can download these to compare the sizes and such?

Oh, and thank you so much for your answer, btw! :D

14 hours ago, 1% Critical Hit said:

I was checking if I could do that, but the demo version doesn't let me do that, unfortunately... Is there a page where I can download these to compare the sizes and such?

I would maybe check the Steam Workshop, if that's available to you.  That has some sprites that are of the same format, and you just have to subscribe to them and save the files onto your computer via SRPG Studio's Subscribed Items menu (that's under "Steam" > "Show Subscribed Items", and then you right click on the item you want and choose "Save to File").

If that's not viable, I could whip up some placeholder animations and share them.  I'm not sure of the legality of sharing the actual files, so I just want to be sure by making my own versions of the animations (probably just something like recolors; enough to make them "legal" to share) and then sharing them via a file-sharing site (I do dropbox, personally).  I may even be bothered to do that for all sprite-types and backgrounds, just so the demo folks can have some proper resources to work with.

29 minutes ago, Ertrick36 said:

I would maybe check the Steam Workshop, if that's available to you.  That has some sprites that are of the same format, and you just have to subscribe to them and save the files onto your computer via SRPG Studio's Subscribed Items menu (that's under "Steam" > "Show Subscribed Items", and then you right click on the item you want and choose "Save to File").

If that's not viable, I could whip up some placeholder animations and share them.  I'm not sure of the legality of sharing the actual files, so I just want to be sure by making my own versions of the animations (probably just something like recolors; enough to make them "legal" to share) and then sharing them via a file-sharing site (I do dropbox, personally).  I may even be bothered to do that for all sprite-types and backgrounds, just so the demo folks can have some proper resources to work with.

I think the demo version doesn't allow to download subscribed items. I searched every menu on the program :c

I don't want to bother you, but if you could share just some to start, at least for trying the rest of SRPG studio's functions I would appreciate it a lot.

I will save money to buy the full thing if I can do something playable with my 8-bit portraits here...

3 hours ago, 1% Critical Hit said:

I think the demo version doesn't allow to download subscribed items. I searched every menu on the program :c

I don't want to bother you, but if you could share just some to start, at least for trying the rest of SRPG studio's functions I would appreciate it a lot.

I will save money to buy the full thing if I can do something playable with my 8-bit portraits here...

The Steam option would be at the top toolbar along the "File", "Resources", and "Help" tabs.  Though I think I recall it not being there when I tried the demo out before the full program launched.

I'd probably actually post the sprites and whatnot in the sprites board, or somewhere in the creative works forums.  It's just come to light for me that there are probably a lot of people looking at the demo who would want to create their own resources but can't because they don't know the formatting and can't learn it because of some arbitrary limits imposed by the demo.  I'd be doing it because I want to see budding flowers flourish, so to speak.  I don't want to see this as just the program that was used to make "Kaga's game", I'd like to see it as the program that was used to make a vast number of neat SRPG gems, and it'd be a nice bonus if it helped some people make their own resources to share with everyone.

21 hours ago, Ertrick36 said:

The Steam option would be at the top toolbar along the "File", "Resources", and "Help" tabs.  Though I think I recall it not being there when I tried the demo out before the full program launched.

Yup, the Steam option isn't there on the trial version.

21 hours ago, Ertrick36 said:

I'd be doing it because I want to see budding flowers flourish, so to speak.  I don't want to see this as just the program that was used to make "Kaga's game", I'd like to see it as the program that was used to make a vast number of neat SRPG gems, and it'd be a nice bonus if it helped some people make their own resources to share with everyone.

I know how that feels. When RPG Maker was a thing, I helped some fellows to create their own little games and those were pretty fun! We shared mostly graphics but other things too.