Starting Fire Emblem 1

AwakeningNoob

Now that I am all done with Thracia I decided to start with FE 1. I have finished the first chapter and would like to ask a few questions about the game mechanics:

1. How does doubling work in this game? Do I just need to have more speed than the enemy?
2. Can I somehow view weapon stats inside the game? Or do I have to google those? D:
3. Is it worthwhile to try and level-up stave users? Since they can only level-up by being attacked this seems like an extreme, and dangerous, chore.

Also I don't know much about the viability of the units so I am going to go with whoever I like best, so far focusing my efforts on Marth and Sheeda.

Other than that it is funny that after playing games from SNES era it is much easier to jump back to NES games than it was originally. One of the reasons I decided to start with FE4 before was that the NES games felt way too old/clunky, so I guess it was too big of a jump all at once. Right now the game doesn't feel nearly as bad as it did at the beginning and I think I can enjoy it a lot. :D

1) I believe you just need a point more of speed, although I could be wrong.

2) Not to my knowledge, which is a pain, but since I have no dignity or shame I just use an NES emulator with a rewind button until I get the optimal performance.

3) While I love doing that, there is really not much point. However, in a few chapters you are going to recruit a thief and another cleric. On that chapter, there is a fort on the far left side of the map. Leave one enemy alive in said area, namely the brigand, and put your staff user there. After a lot of waiting and grinding, and I do mean a lot, you can easily max out your staff users. My Wrys got to 17 speed, which is hilarious since caps are 20. As I said before, next to no point in doing this, staff users aren't your major fighters and I've been told giving your first promotion item to them is a terrible choice (didn't stop me, but regardless). 

The way that units go is the later in the game you get them, you can expect them to be worse. A prime example is cavaliers. Cain and Abel are definitively the best cavaliers, with the only other good one coming to mind (baring Jagen) is Hardin. Only use Barst, supposedly Bord or Cord is good (I forget which one), but both have been utter trash whenever I use them. Navarre is basically worse Ogma from my experience (Still used both of them since I like both of them). I'll stop with unit hints there. Use whoever you want, this game isn't that hard in my experience.

Yeah, I had the same thing happen to me. Before SoV's release. I tried out the original Gaiden, but quit pretty fast since it seemed so clunky and I didn't really like it (Also Gray died and I hadn't actually savestated so I lost 4 hours of progress and I wasn't about to redo that slog). However, after playing Geneology and Thracia, it's a little easier to swallow. Never actually did try the original Gaiden again, but I did try a PC remake of it, which I did finish, and that one was arguably more clunky than the original.

Funny thing about the original game, you might notice there is a resistance stat, but every unit in the game aside from Gotoh has a base res of 0. You can increase it to seven using talismans for a single map, but in effect, resistance does not actually exist. This probably isn't too big a surprise since high res was rare in the old days, but what is super different is the fact that the magic stat doesn't exist either. And that's not just that magic uses the same stat as strength, there is literally no offensive stat covering magic. So this means that combined with the lack of res, tomes effectively deal set damage. So no matter how long you grind those stave users, they'll never actually become any more effective than they are at base, even when they promote and can use tomes. It also means that has far as mages go, speed is basically everything. FE1 be weird. Use Wendel.

3 hours ago, AwakeningNoob said:

1. How does doubling work in this game? Do I just need to have more speed than the enemy?
2. Can I somehow view weapon stats inside the game? Or do I have to google those? D:
3. Is it worthwhile to try and level-up stave users? Since they can only level-up by being attacked this seems like an extreme, and dangerous, chore.

1. The formula for Attack Speed is this: Speed – Weapon Weight | you double simply when you have a higher Attack Speed, that can be as little as a one-point difference.
  2. You can view the stats in SF's pages.  They were probably meant to be looked up in a manual, but obviously that's not around so you'll just have to make do.  Critical is a completely invisible stat, so you should look at the Calculations page as well.
  3. Every single staff user has garbage growths, the only stat that matters for them is Weapon Level, and they need no more than 8 in that stat to be able to use every weapon; for the record, Maria already starts with a Weapon Level of 8, and both Lena (Rena) and Elice (Ellis) are one point away from that.  So in a sense, no, it's absolutely not worth it unless their Weapon Level is lower than 8.  Which means Maria's the best healer, and Rhys is the worst because his Weapon Level is a measely 3 and will probably stay lower than 8 until he promotes.  Oh, and Bishops can also use staves, so once you get Merric and/or Linde promoted you can pretty much forget about the healers.

Just bear in mind that OG FE is very different from the FE you've become accustomed to.  A lot of classes don't have a promotion, Resistance is really weird, ballistae suck, and it's generally primitive and lacking a ton of QoL stuff.  It's a very antiquated game.

Thanks everyone for the answers and insights into the game, this is super helpful! :D I will check out the weapon stats online then. Also if anyone feels like they want a stable doze of cringe, I decided to make a completely amateur LP out of this. Like it says in the description, I want to use it to better my speaking skills (since I'm on the shy side) and have some fun while I'm at it. :) I have no big plans for this project, but I do welcome any advise. =)

Spoiler

On 7/10/2018 at 11:18 PM, AwakeningNoob said:

Also I don't know much about the viability of the units so I am going to go with whoever I like best, so far focusing my efforts on Marth and Sheeda.

i would suggest to give some attention to Ogma as well. you can never go wrong with Ogma.

and with a Devil Sword, he's basicly the bane of Earth Dragons.

8 hours ago, Fenreir said:

i would suggest to give some attention to Ogma as well. you can never go wrong with Ogma.

and with a Devil Sword, he's basicly the bane of Earth Dragons.

Thanks for the advise! I like mercenaries so I will definitely use him. I also just finished chapter 3, but not before getting my ass handed back to me... I wonder if commentating on your gameplay distracts you too much so make a lot of small mistakes you wouldn't do normally, because I know I did a lot of them this chapter. :O

Yep, commentating often causes tactical mistakes. Having another person there can help with this (As shown with Mangs and Mekkah) or could cause moments where the player does something stupid, and the commentator is distracted, leading to twice the hilarity. Also, LP's as a whole are more entertaining with groups, at least in my opinion.

11 hours ago, AwakeningNoob said:

Thanks for the advise! I like mercenaries so I will definitely use him. I also just finished chapter 3, but not before getting my ass handed back to me...

Ogma will be one of the most powerful units in the game if you take good care of him, just don't push your luck too much when using Devil Swords.

it's alright if you need to kill Earth Dragons later on in the game, but using those swords early against normal units can backfire, and quite hard too.

11 hours ago, AwakeningNoob said:

I wonder if commentating on your gameplay distracts you too much so make a lot of small mistakes you wouldn't do normally, because I know I did a lot of them this chapter. :O

well, usually doing 2 things at the same time can become an issue eventually, but it always depends on the situation.

if you don't really need to make a live commentary, you could just enjoy the game and do a voiceover later when the chapter is done. it's up to you thou.

otherwise, don't forget to use ranged units first, and then melees. that's the most basic rule.

I guess it is just as you guys are saying. :) However it looks like I managed to keep myself a bit more collected in chapter four as everything went much more smooth this time around. :D

Spoiler

I will be going on a trip tomorrow for four days so I will be continuing the playthrough once I'm back, until then!

After watching you LP's, here are some things that should be noted.

1) Ogma isn't a prepromote, he's just that good.

2) As far as I know, there is no steal command. You can still open chests with lockpicks, which only thieves can use, although you will find an alternative that isn't chest keys soon.

3) I had more tips but I'm pulling a blank right now, if I remember them, I'll be sure to say something

On 10/11/2018 at 1:50 AM, DarthR0xas said:

After watching you LP's, here are some things that should be noted.

1) Ogma isn't a prepromote, he's just that good.

2) As far as I know, there is no steal command. You can still open chests with lockpicks, which only thieves can use, although you will find an alternative that isn't chest keys soon.

3) I had more tips but I'm pulling a blank right now, if I remember them, I'll be sure to say something

No worries, appreciate your help so far regardless! =) Also I'm back and just finished chapter 5 - a rather quick and straightforward one, I must say.

On 10/8/2018 at 12:32 AM, Jotari said:

Use Wendel.

I, together with all 14 points of base Speed of Wendel, agree. x)

Another character you might not expect to be good is Bantu. If you've played the remakes then you probably know his growth rates are dirt, but in this game the defensive boosts he gets from his Dragon Stone are massive, to the extent that he is basically immune to physical damage. The Dragon Stone is also unbreakable, so he's essentially a wall you can place anywhere on the map to crowd up choke points.

Just finished chapter 7 and chapter 6 before that (both on Youtube already if you want to check them out!). I have reset once each of them due to nothing but sloppy play. x) Missed one chest in chapter 6 but didn't bother to reset just for that so I will have to live with it. (was it anything good? :P)

On 10/16/2018 at 5:10 AM, Jotari said:

Another character you might not expect to be good is Bantu. If you've played the remakes then you probably know his growth rates are dirt, but in this game the defensive boosts he gets from his Dragon Stone are massive, to the extent that he is basically immune to physical damage. The Dragon Stone is also unbreakable, so he's essentially a wall you can place anywhere on the map to crowd up choke points.

Yup, I have realized that the moment I check the stats on the Fire Stone and I was like whaaaat. Also no, I have not played the remakes yet, so everything here is new to me. ;)

EDIT: Finished another 3 chapters, I believe with no resets. I feel like I'm getting the hang of the game now and my units have outscaled the enemy troops for the most part. Marth is becoming a beast and Marich is my resident boss killer. Also finally getting to buy something other than basic weapons made me more happy than it should, to the point where I was enjoying shopping more than playing the chapter. XD

Edited by AwakeningNoob

• 2 weeks later...

Played through another several chapters and still not much to report to be honest, other than the fact that shooters confused the hell out of me - both gameplay and design wise. Got my first promotion items as well, but holding onto them for the moment since I don't feel like anyone from my squad needs a promotion boost just yet. If you are curious how those chapters played out for me, here is the playlist with all videos I made so far. ^_^

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLds-2lx0hxhloyrurqW1wSUB0Up4Keblx