Restricting Boots access to non-mounted units

An idea I've been throwing around for nerfing mounted classes is making them not able to use Boots to increase their Movement.

This could be done by making every class of a tier have the same Movement cap (let's say 7 for unpromoted classes and 8 for promoted classes) and giving mounted classes base Movement equal to the cap.  In these circumstances, infantry and armored units would room to boost their Movement and mounted ones would not.

In the case of non-mounted to mounted promotion, such as Mage to Mage Knight, promotion gains would be enough for the unit to immediately reach the Movement cap, negating any Movement bonuses they may have gotten through stat boosters.

What do you think of this idea?

Not that I agree or disagree, but Second/Heart sealing might return. In that case it really should be something that's just inactive and hidden when in a mounted class rather than something that gets lost in promotion.

Edited by Arcphoenix

It would make logical sense. I can see some reason why infantry would move faster when wearing new, high quality boots. Putting boots on horses probably would be a lot less effective. The reclassing comment above does make me realise it might be a bit unpractical to implement the feature though.

Maybe on a similar note they could make Cavalry be unable to be refreshed? Like dancing/playing music refreshes people, but not horses.

Edited by Sasori

I don't mind Boots being accessible or not on mounted units, all I want is for Boots to be an equippable item instead of a statbooster.

8 hours ago, Sasori said:

It would make logical sense. I can see some reason why infantry would move faster when wearing new, high quality boots. Putting boots on horses probably would be a lot less effective. The reclassing comment above does make me realise it might be a bit unpractical to implement the feature though.

Maybe on a similar note they could make Cavalry be unable to be refreshed? Like dancing/playing music refreshes people, but not horses.

While there are a number of movement techs I can see being restricted to infantry, this is not one of them. A horse is a sentient being too, it's not like you can't entertain them too.

I've never even considered giving boots to mounted units. But:

On 10/8/2018 at 12:55 AM, Sasori said:

It would make logical sense. I can see some reason why infantry would move faster when wearing new, high quality boots. Putting boots on horses probably would be a lot less effective.

Pretty much this.

59 minutes ago, Dragoncat said:

I've never even considered giving boots to mounted units.

Giving the Boots to an Armored unit is one of Mekkah's "Fire Emblem pitfalls" (mistakes that newbie players often make).  He says that rather than giving the Boots to an Armored unit just to bring them up to par with everyone else, you should give them to a mounted unit to boost their utility even further.  This goes hand in hand with his belief that Movement is the best stat.

8 minutes ago, Von Ithipathachai said:

Giving the Boots to an Armored unit is one of Mekkah's "Fire Emblem pitfalls" (mistakes that newbie players often make).  He says that rather than giving the Boots to an Armored unit just to bring them up to par with everyone else, you should give them to a mounted unit to boost their utility even further.  This goes hand in hand with his belief that Movement is the best stat.

I see. I'm guilty of giving them to armors... -_-

But movement as a "best stat" is interesting and something I didn't consider.