New seasonal Banner: Land’s Bounty

Poimagic

6 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

No, but you've got Myrrh, Mia, Niles, and Dorcas (presumably) dressing up as monsters, devils, witches, etc. Then there's Kagero who's a...maid. Doesn't really stand out as much as the others imo.

The one thing I applaud about this banner is the variety of games they took characters from. Even if two are still 3DS.

Sakura is dressed as a pink Japanese cat creature. Not exactly normally a Halloween thing, either. In any case, yeah, in your opinion...but I'm certain plenty of others don't share that, especially with how maid stuff is popular, even if Kagero being the one dressed up is another story. I'd say she still stands out, Fates reputation/another alt aside.

• Replies 359
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, Jave said:

In that context I’m fine with it, but I would be lying if I said I wasn’t bothered by some of its implications. We all know about that. We all remember the huge discussion that happened here when Bride Sanaki was revealed, and I really don’t want to open that can of worms again. That was just a quick footnote in my post, and I would like to keep it at that. 

I mean, the main issue I take with it is that people keep bringing it up as a side comment despite the fact that every single bride character is explicitly wearing the outfit as a costume for a festival and says so in some way or another.

And part of what frustrates me is that I never got a chance to weigh in on the matter because I was away for the weekend and came back to see the thread already closed due to the shitstorm of people who take costumes too seriously.

1 minute ago, NoirCore said:

Sakura is dressed as a pink Japanese cat creature. Not exactly normally a Halloween thing, either. In any case, yeah, in your opinion...but I'm certain plenty of others don't share that, especially with how maid stuff is popular, even if Kagero being the one dressed up is another story. I'd say she still stands out, Fates reputation/another alt aside.

To be entirely fair to Sakura, she's a nekomata, which is supposed to be a somewhat spooky creature. Except Sakura isn't spooky because she's Sakura.

11 minutes ago, NoirCore said:

She isn't just a cat. Nekomata are considered supernatural creatures that are often up to all sorts of mischief and trickery. Perfect for Halloween. Not everything about Japan is "wacky anime hijinks". They have their own folklore too. 

Edited by Nanima

55 minutes ago, Landmaster said:

Hopefully without so many armors but then again the Summer Banners this year was just them throwing mounts at us

I missed last year's Christmas all-armor banner just so I can skip it. I've been puling at so much banners lately despite I'm picky (only pulls for player phase ranged cavalry or flier or armor dragon) yet they keep throwing what I'll pull smh.

17 minutes ago, NoirCore said:

See what others said about the nekomata. I was a little confused at first when I saw her outfit too, despite thinking she made a cute kitty anyway. But after learning what a nekomata is, it does still sorta fit Halloween.

I loved last years Christmas Banner, but I may as well have skipped it because after 400 or so orbs I didnt get a single one. Part of the reason I went into a saving frenzy. Of course when they were rerun on a leg banner, I still didnt get them. I think the banner is cursed.

I mean, I see people wear all kinds of non "scary" costumes all the time. Go to your typical Halloween party, I would say at least half the people there wouldnt be wearing a "Halloween" costume if you describe it as monsters and scary stuff only.

I get part of the issue was that Fates had Maids and Butlers as a class, but keep in mind Kagero is Hoshidan, not Nohrian. Dressing as a maid would count as a costume for them because Maids/Butlers arent their thing, its something foreign to them.

Ugh, armors. I hate armors, but IS knew what it was doing because NILES. He looks sooooo good and I want him so much, but I'm still pulling Reds on that awful Muspell banner that hates me (lol). 

Also Myrrh looks SO cute, I love her, but I will never pull from Reds again. LOL. I'm salty af right now. But she has Armor March which is so important because how else am I supposed to use my Armors without all of them being able to move twice? We need some more Armored Boot Seals because it's getting ridiculous. But I guess I'll be pulling for Niles and splitting my orbs between this banner and the Muspell one.

Like that they made Kagero a maid, it's pretty funny (I wonder if she thinks Felicia is scary because she's SO clumsy and anti what a ninja is like). And Mia looks awesome as well, but I don't need a colorless staff. If she was a flying mage though, I might have definitely gone for it, her art is gorgeous. 

EDIT: This whole post is now basically irrelevant because I just got the sister i wanted on the Muspell banner. Soooooo, Nile’s here I COME.

Edited by Sunsurge

2 hours ago, Jave said:

I’m willing to bet the next one is going to be Nephenee. I expect her to show at Christmas, with a Santa hat big enough to cover most of her face. 

That. Would be. ADORABLE. Unless they put her in a bikini or something, which IS obviously will.

@Ice Dragon & @Jingle Jangle, thank you for the link!

I wonder if Ike can't fit in Seasonal Banners because his comedic factor is reacting to other people idiocy and weird antics, with most of the time just being "fun" versions of his "badass" moments, and the fact Ike probably cringes about the whole world being so dumb.

Edited by Troykv

Another seasonal banner, more armors chock full of insanely good skills. Myrrh looks adorable trying to rawr, Niles looks quite nice but kind of lets me down with that weapon, Kagerou is meh, and Mia is a FLYING HEALER?! I'd have preferred Elincia be the first one, but I like Mia, so she's fine too. I'm really not a fan of armors either, so I can focus on trying to get her. For once I'd like to see a seasonal that doesn't have 3DS characters though. Nothing against them personally, but represent the other games more, IS.

Let's not go to Bride Sanaki again that topic was shut down I believe.  However notice how Halloween Nowi and Bride Sanaki were complained about a ton, but everyone is fine with Myrrh?  Why no complaint about Myrrh (either version), any of the young Tiki, Fae, regular Sanaki? Cause the Nowi/Sanaki were clearly created to pander hard to pedophiles, despite what story or whatever they explain it with.  We all know what.

Anyways glad no pedo bait in this banner, one a year is more than enough.  Hopefully we don't get any more of those kind of units.

On Ike, others have explained.  It's a lot different than Freddy or any Fates/Awakening character since they have a bunch of silly costume DLC and there is a ton of humor within the games.  A lot of characters are quirky anime tropes as well.  Meanwhile Ike has none of that, the Tellius games are dreadfully serious, Ike's tragic tale is all serious.  While Xander is a serious character cause of the game he is in, and having a failed cassanova dancer and bloodthirsty noblewoman cook as his retainers as well as everything else in fates it is much easier to put him in a silly costume and make it work.  I can see Ike as a summer unit, after all there isn't anything that silly or crazy about wearing swim wear.  

Kagero.  Yeah she doesn't deserve 2 alts in a year, but Camilla does right?   Oh Camilla is popular?  I see.  Well Spring Kagero probably sold a ton, so besides being a busty ninja (ninja girl is exciting in itself to many) she makes bank so that is enough.  Just like Camilla or any other character that is getting multiple alts.  Let's not go into the laughable matter of how well written the character is or how unique, cause otherwise a lot of these characters with multiple alts don't deserve it.  

The thing with Ike is not that his story is tragic (it really isn’t) but it’s more Ike’s character itself. He’s pretty emotionless through most of his games and never really takes a breather from his serious self, which is why I have a hard time picturing him on a seasonal outfit. I could see a lot of other Tellius characters in crazy clothing, but Ike? Not so much, tbh. 

Heck, even Sigurd, who probably has the most tragic tale of all FE lords, I could see in a Valentine outfit, or even a yukata, along with his loving wife. Heck, I’ll go right ahead and predict the next Valentine banner will be Jugdral themed. 

1 hour ago, Jave said:

The thing with Ike is not that his story is tragic (it really isn’t) but it’s more Ike’s character itself. He’s pretty emotionless through most of his games and never really takes a breather from his serious self, which is why I have a hard time picturing him on a seasonal outfit. I could see a lot of other Tellius characters in crazy clothing, but Ike? Not so much, tbh. 

Heck, even Sigurd, who probably has the most tragic tale of all FE lords, I could see in a Valentine outfit, or even a yukata, along with his loving wife. Heck, I’ll go right ahead and predict the next Valentine banner will be Jugdral themed. 

I disagree here. Ike feels pretty deeply. He's just not very expressive, and not because he's shy or anything since the dude's really sincere. It's just that his expression of emotion is really subtle. I believe that's even in his description somewhere.

Edit: On the topic of Seasonal Ike, I'll say here what I said in the 10/10 silhouettes thread.

While I don't see Ike as willingly dressing up (in FE9 he even voices concern with having to wear a "funny hat" after he grudgingly accepts being promoted in social status into a noble) FEH has surprised me with how in-character it is for others. I mean, Fates/Awakening is markedly more silly and naturally fall into these sorts of events, but so far, every character has been in-character with their costumes (at least, of the ones I've gotten to know in their home games and have seen here.) Innes and Tana hitting the beach and the former completely focusing on improving himself (and beating Ephraim) while the latter was just having a good time, for example. Elincia's stay in Hoshido for their summer festival had a heavily diplomatic feel, too. And for the Valentine's event, I felt like I was seeing Lycia in peacetime. Hector being "just here to fight" is also an important foothold that's easy to dismiss. Obviously, many FE characters are fighters. Some focus a good deal of attention on this, such as Ike. And most of these festivals have a combat component to them. I could see him and some of the other Griel Mercenaries going to a competition like the ones in the festival paralogues in order to compete in combat a la GBA/DS(?)/FE4/FE5 arenas (since, well, they're often low on funds.) In such a case, if certain costumes were required, Mist could whip some up for them. Or, if costumes are provided, they could use those. The goal would be all business, though, even if some of them might enjoy the festivities along the way. (Looking at Mist, Rolf, Titainia, Oscar, and Gatrie, specifically.) This would also obviously be a big in for the Askr folks since Alfonse would be looking forward to a cultural experience, Sharena would be excited for the festivities, and Anna would be all about that prize money. Of course, as a rule, all of Anna's moneymaking schemes must fail, so maybe the prize would be food supply or something, and Alfonse and Sharena manage to hold Anna back in order to get the food to the GM's, who need it more (seeing as those two are far more diplomatic than Anna is and they can see the value in giving the prize to their opponents.) This scenario could work with virtually any festival. However, I think that the one that makes the most sense would either be some sort of harvest/thanksgiving sort of thing, or summer. (Former for the needing foodstuffs scenario, and something that feels like something the mercs would be more willing to dress up in/something that suits them better for the latter. Seasonal quotes about the weather or whatever makes a lot more sense in-character for them, after all, than something Christmassy or whatever.)

Edited by Mercakete

5 hours ago, Tolvir said:

I find it funny last year people were complaining about the lack of armors. 

And this year, we get armors including seasonal armors. And we start bitching. Congratulations FE fandom, you did it again. 

I’m glad we have been getting some seasonal armors. We’ve been getting a decent mix of units with seasonals in general. Cavalry, fliers, infantry, armors. All with unique combinations we will never really see with normal units. Makes it fun for team builds and all that. 

As for Kagero not being “Halloween” themed. What says she isn’t? Halloween costumes aren’t just the a typical vampire, zombie, witch, mummy, etc. People wear a lot of different costumes to parties. And considering she is hammered, that’s probably where she is at. Also kind of explains why she is an armor. She’s drunk af. 

Tween Halloween costumes do show plenty of skin and at least one Halloween costume site sells a maid costume

13 minutes ago, Mercakete said:

I disagree here. Ike feels pretty deeply. He's just not very expressive, and not because he's shy or anything since the dude's really sincere. It's just that his expression of emotion is really subtle. I believe that's even in his description somewhere.

Nah, you’re right. Emotionless was a bit harsh. I just wish he could have had some more light hearted moments like the 3DS or even the GBA games. Specially when pretty much everyone around him has moments like those. 

1 hour ago, Jave said:

Nah, you’re right. Emotionless was a bit harsh. I just wish he could have had some more light hearted moments like the 3DS or even the GBA games. Specially when pretty much everyone around him has moments like those. 

He does have some funny/lighthearted moments, but it's true that he tends to be less silly. Like when the GM's were first in Begnion, and Gatrie's "admiring the flowers." Ike responds that he agrees that the flowers are pretty, especially the yellow ones. Gatrie then makes it pretty obvious he was talking about the Begnion women, at which point Ike understands, sighs and walks off shaking his head. X3 Most of Ike's cuter moments are when he misses subtle things, which he finds difficult to catch. I.e., (and as a good example as to why Soren is so helpful to him) when they're heading into the desert and he thinks the people coming toward them are friendlies "coming to meet them." Soren was distracted, so he couldn't warn Ike that those were not friendlies. X3

6 hours ago, Jave said:

Given the trend of Tellius seasonals, though, I’m willing to bet the next one is going to be Nephenee. I expect her to show at Christmas, with a Santa hat big enough to cover most of her face. 

Complete with Santa Brom.

Are the weapons inheritable or are they unique to these Halloween units? Might be some good fodder.

The thing about Ike is that unless you can find a way to trick him into wearing a silly outfit, he probably won't willingly wear a silly outfit.

I can't speak much for the subtleties of his character since I played the Tellius games in Japanese back when I was just starting to learn the language, but Ike comes off as a pragmatic character that tends to avoid this sort of nonsense.

If we ever see him in a seasonal outfit, I'd be willing to guess one of his voice lines would be "Soren made me do it," because that's the only way I can imagine him ever wearing something like that. He might be convinced normally into wearing a yukata at a hot spring, but that might be it.

2 hours ago, Lewyn said:

Let's not go to Bride Sanaki again that topic was shut down I believe.

Then don't write a whole damned inflammatory paragraph about it right after you say this.

Something worth noting if it hasn't been mentioned before: Mia is the first ever staff unit released after CYL1/Ayragate that isn't a cavalry unit. This could mean that she'd have the highest BST among all staff users in the game once the banner drops, with Mia having a BST of 149-151.

Edited by Roflolxp54

About Ike though, while I still think it would be funny to see him dress up because of his more serious and blunt personality, just as you guys say, the Tellius games are more serious than other titles. The games focus so much on the conflicts going on and Ike focuses so much on that himself that he's hardly given any chance to have or show a less serious side of himself.

But there is one, because there are instances where he jokes around. He jokes with Ranulf in PoR. He gets sarcastic with Deghinsea in RD. And that's just a little bit of it. Ike may actually be someone who could have a lot of fun and probably needs it sometimes given his line of work (and then his reputation). So a seasonal will let him show more of that less serious side!

No, Ike won't wear a silly hat or bunny outfit, I bet. But I'm sure there's something he'd be willing to wear for some kind of festival and that he's capable of having fun. Christmas doesn't seem too out of his league, which is a reason I designed a Christmas look for him myself. Summer isn't either, I can definitely see him being a guy that'd chill on the beach after some rough jobs.

Edited by Anacybele

I think a summer banner or a special theme like the yukatas would fit Ike much better than playing holiday dress up. I could see him being in a more general winter banner that isn't specifically Christmas themed. Or in carolers clothes, that would be interesting.

1 hour ago, Ice Dragon said:

Then don't write a whole damned inflammatory paragraph about it right after you say this.

Fair enough, anyways there is no need to discuss that topic here.  It has no relevance to the units on this banner.  

Speaking of which the topic seems to mostly have shifted to Ike, but I guess we are waiting for the Halloween units stats.  Anyways I'm sure Ike will get a seasonal, I just don't expect it to be silly. Again think Groom Marth.  Was simply Marth in groom clothes.  Groom Ike might be a possibility actually.  

2 hours ago, Fire Emblem Fan said:

Complete with Santa Brom.

Are the weapons inheritable or are they unique to these Halloween units? Might be some good fodder.

Pretty sure they're inheritable~ Someone can CMIIW~

As for Ike, I'm sure he'll get a seasonal at some point, but for something that would suit him. Nothing with rabbit ears or silly costumes~ I could see him in a summer banner since it literally just requires him to not wear a shirt rather than put something on. I feel like that's the reason we haven't seen seasonal Ike yet, he just doesn't really fit any of them.