My first FE7 team. Thoughts?

Simon the Digger

I'm playing FE7 for the first time. I'm gonna play Lyn Mode, then Eliwood. Here's my team..thoughts? How can I improve it? Should I use Kent? Heath? Priscilla? Etc.

Sain

Florina

Marcus

Ninian/Nils

Hawkeye

Pent

Harken

Vaida

Athos

Edited by Corncake

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you should worry less and just play the game.  FE7 is easy enough on the route you outlined.  And this is from someone who screwed up royally, several times over.

FE7 Isn't a particularly hard game, especially on normal mode, so just chill and enjoy the ride. Just use who you like, and who get's good levels/works for you.

That said, you've picked out a good deal of this games best units. I'd add Priscilla (early mounted heals), Raven, Canas and Lowen (Depending on early levels) to your squad, since most maps offer a fair amount of deployment slots. Pent, Marcus and Hawkeye can all pull double shift, so you don't need to worry too much about the rest of the squad.

I recommend seeing Gaiden chapter requirements, recruitment requirements, secret shop locations, and desert item locations guides in the SF game guides area if you're a completionist who can't miss out on things

Edited by Arcphoenix

Nino and Canas are amazing when you get to Eliwood mode. Also, when you get to Vaida, there's a trick you can use to get her spear. It's an amazing spear. It's up to your choice though as you get it via exploiting a glitch

Thank you for your advice, everyone. I took another look and I decided my team:

Sain

Kent

Florina

Nils/Ninian

Marcus

Merlinus

Hawkeye

Pent

Vaida

Harken

Athos

And I am kinda try-hard, but I like to decide my teams in games I've never played before. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Feel free to post any opinions though.

THE SQUAD:

Sain-Portrait-small.pngKent-Portrait-small.pngFlorina-Portrait-small.pngNils-Portrait_copy.pngMarcusFE7.pngFire_Emblem_7_Merlinus_Portrait.pngNinianingame.pngHawkeyeFE7.pngPentFE7.pngFe7_perso_vaida.gifHarken-port.pngAthosFE7.png

Edited by Corncake

I think you are worrying way too much about the end game here. Athos is literally only available on the last chapter, and while Pent is great you might find you want to use magic or heal during the first 14 + gaiden maps of Eliwood mode before his arrival so you might think about using Erk/Lucius/Canas at least early on, and a healer like Perscilla (or Serra if you are allergic to horses or something). I will also say that Lowen is entirely usable if Kent or Sain get RNG screwed and you feel the need for a replacement, same with Fiora as a replacement for Florina (I am just remembering my first Hector Hard Mode playthrough where Florina still had her base 5 strength at level 12 and making the jump to Fiora despite my original team plans). Raven is also good if you need some more power before the powerhouses you have chosen for your team show up. Honestly FE7 has weak enough enemies that benching some people you needed to use early on will not hurt you, so feel free to use whoever you need to early on even if they aren't part of your end game plans.

Fair enough, I didn't play the game so I don't know if I'm talking out of my ass but..here are my thoughts.

you want to use magic or heal during the first 14 + gaiden maps of Eliwood mode before his arrival so you might think about using Erk/Lucius/Canas at least early on, and a healer like Perscilla (or Serra if you are allergic to horses or something).

I'll obviously use Serra and Perscilla as healbots when I get them and I've done that stuff in FE8 before and I turned out just fine. I'd rather use Kent than a magic unit, since he has more mov. Besides, In the first half, I have Marcus, Sain that's promoted pre-Eliwood (essentially another Marcus), Kent who promotes soon,  Florina (who I've heard on Lyn mode is really good) and staffbots. Not to mention...the only time I can have a staff + magic unit before Pent is roughly Ch.17 to 22. If that unit doesn't have more utility other than good 4 heals, I don't think they'll be worth it. 

But...I'm still thinking about using Raven, Canas or both, since they can both promote around Ch.18, with stats comparable to my team already. One's strong, one uses magic and staves. What do you think, should I use one, both or none? I don't wanna overload my deployment slots that way my units don't plateau at the second half of the game. But hey, for the sake of trying other units to see how they are for myself (since it is the first time I played this game), Raven  may seem like a good idea.

And trust me, I didn't plan this with only end game in mind. Sain, Kent, Florina, Marcus and Staffbots for the first half should be good enough, that was my thought process.

And I appreciate the feedback btw

Edited by Corncake

Raven is great and worth using on almost any play-through. Canas is also a good choice, but I will warn you his stats are a bit deceptive. The weight of dark magic (and his mediocre speed growth) makes it hard for him to double when using the interesting utility magics like Nosferatu or Luna (although his basic Flux tome tends to do fine with his Con), I find this makes him a good recipient of a Speedwing or Body Ring. I think both are worth using, and if you do not like how they are turning out they can be easily replaced by one of the prepromotes you plan on using.

On 10/9/2018 at 7:47 PM, Corncake said:

Sain that's promoted pre-Eliwood

I will warn you that this can only be done on Lyn's hard mode, otherwise the normal mode tutorial forces you to waste the Knight's Crest from Lyn mode on Wallace.

Also just out of curiosity do you plan on streaming or lets playing (either video or screen short version) your play-through?

Sain that's promoted pre-Eliwood

....Oh shit, did I really say that? Tf was I on? I meant to say "another Marcus". Sure, I haven't played the game, but that's what I heard. Why wouldn't he be? It's another promoted unit by Eliwood mode if you play on Lyn's story, basically.

And I also agree on your stance on Canas. I only wanna use the best units when I play FE, not so-so ones. 

And I know you force promote Wallace. But..I'm gonna try to use movement break to not make him use the Knight's Crest (a glitch), since after my first playthrough I'm always just gonna play hardmode afterwards anyway. Kinda jank? Maybe. :^) I'm also just gonna use Raven for the sake of learning more about the game, and it's also a way to get Harken anyway so whatever ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

And Idk. I heard Marcus was really good, so I'll use him. Maybe on FE6 he's bad? I was also thinking about Heath, considering Florina promotes late and I like Wyverns, but eh. Whatever. I'll just use Vaida. Besides, I heard Florina was broken if you train her up on Lyn's story, so I'll just use her. Besides, I don't wanna use so many units that my units plateau in levels in the late game, I already have too much as it is.

And I'm not recording this lol, but thanks for asking. So I guess that it boys?

Edited by Corncake

On 10/11/2018 at 6:37 PM, Corncake said:

And Idk. I heard Marcus was really good, so I'll use him. Maybe on FE6 he's bad?

Marcus is a good unit throughout the game however around chapter 20 Kent and Sain will be close to caught up offensively and defensively.  They will end up with much higher stats and end game bar resistance and skill.  Lowen never really catches up offensively to Marcus though he ends up with much higher speed at 20/20 (4ish points).  Lowen is a wall on a horse though.

Bottom line Marcus is never bad he just starts to get out classed later on, but will always be able to contribute in a meaningful way.

Edited by Culpa
Missing word

5 hours ago, This boi uses Nino said:

Isn't Sain better?

No, I find Kent more usefull than Sain due to more balanced stats and slightly better RES,HP, SPD and considerably better SKL. Unless his Kent is RNG screwed he should use him. Sain is bad for using innacurate weapons like javelins and forget about using handaxes with him. He should keep using Sain, but Marcus just doesn't have the stats to keep being good. At best use him as far as chapter 22 then never touch him again.

Edited by DiogoJorge

3 hours ago, DiogoJorge said:

No, I find Kent more usefull than Sain due to more balanced stats and slightly better RES,HP, SPD and considerably better SKL. Unless his Kent is RNG screwed he should use him. Sain is bad for using innacurate weapons like javelins and forget about using handaxes with him.

Sain, once promoted early, can match Marcus' base stats. That alone makes Sain more useful than Kent.

35 minutes ago, Just call me AL said:

Sain, once promoted early, can match Marcus' base stats. That alone makes Sain more useful than Kent.

So can Kent. And I wouldn't recommend promoting either early. If Sain early promoted, then Kent would surpass him for sure, due to more levels to gain.

Edited by DiogoJorge

1 hour ago, DiogoJorge said:

So can Kent.

Only if you're RNG blessed with Kent, considering that a 11/01 Kent averages out at 11 Str, whereas a Sain of the same level averages out at 15 Str. Given that neither one has any trouble doubling enemies for most of the game, this is a notable advantage in Sain's favor.

And I wouldn't recommend promoting either early. If Sain early promoted, then Kent would surpass him for sure, due to more levels to gain.

Not really. Given how much Sain contributes with an early promotion. And even if that wasn't the case, why not promote them early?

Edited by Just call me AL

On 10/11/2018 at 7:37 PM, Corncake said:

I heard Marcus was really good, so I'll use him.

13 hours ago, Just call me AL said:

12 hours ago, DiogoJorge said:

So can Kent. And I wouldn't recommend promoting either early. If Sain early promoted, then Kent would surpass him for sure, due to more levels to gain.

12 hours ago, Just call me AL said:

Only if you're RNG blessed with Kent, considering that a 11/01 Kent averages out at 11 Str, whereas a Sain of the same level averages out at 15 Str. Given that neither one has any trouble doubling enemies for most of the game, this is a notable advantage in Sain's favor.

Trust me, Marcus is not very good.  Being able to match his bases  practically means nothing. you do not need to be rng blessed for Kent to be on even footing or better than Sain, I'd say there on equal footing on average, though with  there respective stats in mind, I'd say Kent's strong defense growth allows for Kent to surpass Sain in my opinion. 

(edit) Also I think you should look into guy, he's a very good unit

Edited by squid4001

2 hours ago, squid4001 said:

Trust me, Marcus is not very good.

Being the best unit in the game is "not very good" all of a sudden?

Being able to match his bases  practically means nothing.

How? When it means that Sain can replicate much of Marcus' performance from Noble Lady of Caelin and onwards?

you do not need to be rng blessed for Kent to be on even footing or better than Sain, I'd say there on equal footing on average, 

Not according to their Str stats at equal levels. Did you look at the Str stat averages I provided earlier?

I'd say Kent's strong defense growth allows for Kent to surpass Sain in my opinion. 

Except there's literally a 5% difference between their Def growths. And the difference is marginal, which is even reflected in their averages.

4 hours ago, squid4001 said:

Trust me, Marcus is not very good.  Being able to match his bases  practically means nothing. you do not need to be rng blessed for Kent to be on even footing or better than Sain, I'd say there on equal footing on average, though with  there respective stats in mind, I'd say Kent's strong defense growth allows for Kent to surpass Sain in my opinion. 

(edit) Also I think you should look into guy, he's a very good unit

Oh no you just comitted a sin right there let's look at his bases:

30 something HP: I'm too lazy to check now but this stat is good enough
15 STR: thats now bad?
15 Skl: It means he has 7% crit always with him and also has him hit reliably
11 Spd: Enemies with constant low AS get doubled with this and if you use him he will double mostly anything
Luck sucks so whatever
10 Def: This is tanky enough
8 or something res: tanks many weak mages in the game

Yeah bad unit dont use him he just steals exp the wikia told me because I cant formulate my own opinions.

Guy in my current playthrough has 7 Str and 16 Spd and he is level 16, Raven has 14 Str and capped speed at level 14 and since all unpromoted units caps except HP are 20 that means he has 20 speed. Like come on what? Guy always lacks the strength to kill anything unless you promote him at level 20 (bad idea) buy him expensive swords to do meaningful damage (not optimal play) or when he crits (which isn't somethingyou must depend on 24/7 or else you'll be screwed over). And I'm using Guy only to know how he performs.

If someone told me that a unit is as good as Marcus, that would be grounds for me to bench him. Marcus is good for early game and a portion of midgame and that's it. A unit that falls off can never be best unit, since his stats are not good at all past that point. the best unit would be Hector with his overkill STR and DEF. 

Sain is better than Marcus, since he has better growths and stats as a Paladin, and Kent is better than Sain, since he's more balanced and doesn't have accuracy issues with axes and throwing weapons. Sain is almost as good as Kent, so I recommend using him if you have the slots for him, but Kent takes priority.

if using Marcus works for you, that's fine, just remember there are better picks for Paladins than him. Even Lowen is better.