help with rom patching?

Lazerpants

Every time i try to patch a working Japanese FE4 ROM it seems like it works, but when i try to load the patched file it no longer works. any advice would be helpful, thanks.. (or just link me a recently patched ROM that would be cool too)

What emulator are you using? I assume you're using the Project Naga patch for FE4, since that is the best patch so far.  The patch causes some of the inner files to get larger than normal as english is larger and longer than Japanese and the rom had to be properly expanded for everything to fit, or in laymans terms larger than normal file. This larger file is something that programs like ZSnes can't run, due in part to the engine that they're running on, and also some other internals of the system in general. An emulator like Snes9x can run it just fine in my experience. Also, are you using Ips. (or ups. I forget which one the Naga patch had) or xdelta. That might matter, although I haven't tried it myself.

For future reference, you can't link roms of the Serenes Forest website. Legal reasons and that mumbo-jumbo. You can link patches, since those are fan-made and not legally binding (I think, I'm not a copyright lawyer).

To answer your questions, ive tried on Snes9X, and zsnes. I am indeed using progect naga. and im using Lunar IPS because the project naga readme said to. is there a specific version of Snes9x that can run it well,?

I have the 1.53 version for Snes9x. I also used the xDelta patch, because I never actually read the "readme" things and Delta was a cooler name. It worked for me. I haven't done extensive testing on this, so I don't know what to tell you if that doesn't work