How would you handle rerolling IVs?

DefyingFates

2 hours ago, Diovani Bressan said:

The idea of IV changing itens is cool, but it's only for boons right?

If you use a Seraph Robe, you will get a HP Boon to your unit, but for the bane your unit will get a random stat.

I'd prefer it if banes were also selectable, as it makes the system simpler. Randomness is something that you can't preview, meaning the game wouldn't be able to do the before-after thing that it can do with other features.

1 minute ago, Ice Dragon said:

I'd prefer it if banes were also selectable, as it makes the system simpler. Randomness is something that you can't preview, meaning the game wouldn't be able to do the before-after thing that it can do with other features.

The problem is IS doesn't want to make the system simpler... IS wants to make money. If we want to have a unit with perfect IVs, we need to summon again and again. It's like arena, where the player need to spend a lot of orbs, and probably money, to get higher BST merged units and high-value skills.

I am a player who don't care about IVs for 5* exclusive units, because I don't plan to make a +10 merge project with a 5* exclusive. My main merge projects are 3*-4* units (Marth, Soren, Nowi, Lucius, Roy, Ares) because it's easier to get the units and it makes the process less painful, with the exception of Gunnthrá which pity broke me enough to make me have a +4 Gunnthrá. My Legendary Tiki is Def bane, which is her only super bane and it made her a 179 BST unit... If I was planning to do a L' Tiki +10 project, I would be pissed, but I am happy because I got a L' Tiki and that's all I wanted. Would I like to have a way to change Tiki's IVs? Of course I would, but I don't see IS doing it. Can I be wrong? Yes, I can.

I still didn't get the Marth with the IVs I want, which is +Atk -HP, but because he is easier to get compared to a 5* exclusive units it doesn't bother me.

7 minutes ago, Diovani Bressan said:

I am a player who don't care about IVs for 5* exclusive units, because I don't plan to make a +10 merge project with a 5* exclusive. My main merge projects are 3*-4* units (Marth, Soren, Nowi, Lucius, Roy, Ares) because it's easier to get the units and it makes the process less painful, with the exception of Gunnthrá which pity broke me enough to make me have a +4 Gunnthrá. My Legendary Tiki is Def bane, which is her only super bane and it made her a 179 BST unit... If I was planning to do a L' Tiki +10 project, I would be pissed, but I am happy because I got a L' Tiki and that's all I wanted. Would I like to have a way to change Tiki's IVs? Of course I would, but I don't see IS doing it. Can I be wrong? Yes, I can.

I'd argue that because it's harder to merge 5* exclusives, it's more important that you get the right IVs for them. It's very hard to make them stronger through merges so for most people the only way to make them as best as they can be is by having the perfect IVs. I think it's the people who don't have the recourses to make +10 5* projects who care more about getting the right IVs than those who do have those resources, as the latter can just keep on summoning for more so they care less that one of the units they got doesn't have the perfect IVs.

Edited by Mau

1 minute ago, Mau said:

I'd argue that because it's harder to merge 5* exclusives, it's more important that you get the right IVs for them. It's very hard to make them stronger through merges so for most people the only way to make them as best as they can be is by having the perfect IVs. I think it's the people who don't have the recourses to make +10 5* projects who care more about getting the right IVs than those who do have those resources, as they can just keep on summoning for more so they care less that one of the units they got doesn't have the perfect IVs.

And that's a perfect reason for why I don't believe we will have a rerolling IVs system. If you want to get a unit with perfect IVs, you need to use your orbs. If you don't have orbs, or you just give up and keep the unit you already got, being the IVs good or not, or you start to buy orbs, which is what IS wants.

14 minutes ago, Diovani Bressan said:

The problem is IS doesn't want to make the system simpler...

The developers probably do, though, as they already have the UI elements necessary for the simple approach.

If the numbers are tuned properly so that the resource is sufficiently scarce, you can make it so that this really does become a last-resort option for players.

I'd implement a system for changing banes so you don't feel screwed over, but not boons.  The crushing discouragement of getting -[important stat] is way more intense than the excitement of +[ideal stat] imo, and a character can usually do much better without an good boon than with a bad bane.  Letting us modify banes would help deal with the disappointing nature of IVs without losing too much from whales going after ideal (though this brings the "ideal" chance up to 1/5, so there's still some loss).  The system can use a new currency, if IS wants, but not Arena crowns.

Either that or allow us to set nature to neutral.

54 minutes ago, Glaceon Mage said:

(though this brings the "ideal" chance up to 1/5, so there's still some loss).

This is actually the entire reason why I don't think a system that only lets you change the bane would work. The difference between 1/21 and 1/5 is much larger than the difference between 1/5 and 1/1 when whales are expected to already be pulling for at least 11 copies, meaning there would be almost no difference between only being able to set the bane and being able to set both the boon and bane. It just makes them look like miserly scrooges.

I’d rather pay 2 orbs in reruns over waiting an eternity for the same character praying to have the ideal IVs. If I had a good IV character from the start, whenever extras I get go to merge or skill fodder

At minimum:

Make IV's conveniently visible on the UI.

Allow the player to freely change (or change for a small price) the IV's of a 5 star +10 hero. 

That would have no real impact on their bottom line and would provide more incentive to upgrade a character and experiment with new builds. It would also prevent the player from wasting an entire merge to change the IV's of a +10 character (if that's even possible?).

Edited by Etheus

At the very least, natures should be visible and there should be a resource to reset natures to neutral (that hardly affects IS' bottom line as players looking for the extra edge will roll for an ideal nature, not to mention the stat boost from merges).

I do like Ice Dragon's idea of sacrificing units to get 'crafting items' for building the specific nature you want. It would still require the player to be rolling for characters and useless skill fodder you pull could be harvested for their nature instead.

I don't really like the idea of using a lot of orbs for nature resets. Imagine using the feature multiple times and just cycling through equally bad natures. Now you're down a bunch of orbs that could have at least equaled a merge had you rolled normally. Crowns would similarly be a bad idea as too few players can get them to lock a highly desired feature behind it. If, however, Crowns let one manually change natures in addition to a method that is less direct and more resource intensive, yet viable for F2P, I wouldn't mind it.

Edited by NekoKnight