For the very first time.

RexBolt

So, to put it simply, i just finished Awakening for the first time and i want to start Fates, but i don't know what's the best order to play the games.

What would you sugest?

Also i would appreciate if any recommendations are kept spoiler-free. I play Heroes so some things aren't a secret to me anymore, but still.

(To make it clear, i don't have it yet, probably will only get it this weekend, maybe next week.)

Personally, I'd go check out the old stuff before Fates.

If you liked Awakening, I'd go to FE7 or FE8 first, but probably FE8. It's a nice way to ease into the older style.

How many are you intending to play and what did you like about Awakening? That will help us make a better list

I guess start with Birthright, as it's the easiest and most similar to Awakening in terms of certain mechanics, so it should serve as good transition, then Conquest, which really ramps up the difficulty and is most similar to older FE titles in terms of difficulty level, and then Revelations, as you'll get a nice discount after beating Birthright OR Conquest and it wraps up the story in a nice, slightly messy bow.

Oh shoot, you mean which order to play Fates in!!

Yeah, Birthright->Conquest->Revelations is probably best. You get the basic sense of the events and world in Birthright, then get a deeper look at them in Conquest, and finally get the behind the scenes nonsense from Revelations.

Edited by Solvaij

I went CQ-BR-Rev. However, to adjust to the gameplay changes from Awakening, I'd do BR and then CQ. Rev is honestly a regret buy for me, it just isn't fun, and ends up being tedium. If you have to include it, from a gameplay perspective, I'd say after BR.

In terms of story, which I didn't care about, Rev should come last. Each story is in some way cacafuego according to those who did pay attention to them, but Rev does reveal significant things not found on the other routes, and is effectively the best ending. Of the other two, BR should probably come before CQ, but it doesn't matter too much.

The order I'd recommend is Birthright -> Conquest -> Revelation.  It's the best order in terms of difficulty curve and plot exposition.  Yeah, you might wind up being disappointed by Revelation's difficulty after playing Conquest unless you play Conquest on the easiest difficulty, but you'll basically ruin the plot for yourself if you play Revelation before either of the other paths.

Many here will say you should do Conquest and forget about every other path, but I'm telling you as someone who started with Awakening that if Awakening and Heroes are the only games you've played in the series then you might find jumping right into Conquest a little bit too much.  Birthright will at least get you adjusted to how Fates works so that Conquest will be a bit easier for you.

Bear in mind that you should only buy one path at first (or get the Special Edition, but I think that was in limited supply).  After buying that path, go into the game and there should be an option (I believe it's called "Explore Paths") that will let you buy the other paths at a discounted price digitally.  If you only have cash-in-hand, then just buy an e-Shop card (they're available in lots of places, especially game retailers).  The total cost of the two discounted paths should be $50 USD, with the main path's cost bringing that up to $80 USD (unless you bought that path at a discount).

9 hours ago, RexBolt said:

So, to put it simply, i just finished Awakening for the first time and i want to start Fates, but i don't know what's the best order to play the games.

What would you sugest?

Also i would appreciate if any recommendations are kept spoiler-free. I play Heroes so some things aren't a secret to me anymore, but still.

(To make it clear, i don't have it yet, probably will only get it this weekend, maybe next week.)

long story short:

- if you want to keep it traditional, go like this: Conquest » Birthright » Revelation.

- if you want to go for the "easier" route with overall the best approaches to gameplay mechanics: Birthright » Revelation » Conquest.

- if you want to go by story: Birthright » Conquest » Revelation.

It really doesn't matter which one to play first and all since they don't have interconnected plots or have anything that affects the overall plot not to mention that the game difficulty isn't a problem since you can lower it whenever you want and as long as you're playing casual mode, its fine. Play the one which looks interesting to you. I played Conquest because the game has better character designs compared to the ones in Birthright.

Got Birthright after all, i feel more into supporting Hoshido after the first 5 chapters anyway. I already did until after 6.

-  Got Gunter killed in his firt battle, and then he died for real. Bummer.

-  I think the pair up sistem is a bit over complicaded but i think i will get the hang of it soon, i hope.

- People already alerted me about Kaze dying in the near future if i don't support him soon, but i'm going to let him die anyway because i like drama and he's playable in all games anyway.

- I'm not liking that i'm so overleveled compared to other units because of the other chapters and the skill i have. It makes me feel jagen-esque so i'm not using little Lucena until the rest of the units i like catch up or the enemy is real scary.

I am glad that you are enjoying the game, mate.

I too started with Birthright a year ago, it was my first Fire Emblem and everyone everywhere said that it would the better choice for a beginner. Well, it was one of those times when I should not have cared about what people said.

I did not like the characters of Birthright, found the maps uninteresting, and was utterly bored after some chapters. It did not even taught me the basics, for playing Advance Wars was more ‘strategic’ than this. A complete waste. What a regret.

I then tried Conquest and found home. The characters, the difficulty, the diverse goals and challenges on maps… A huge improvement in my opinion.

Note that, for me, siding with the family that raised you is the ‘right’ decision, and not with your strange-yet-biological siblings. I felt that way before purchasing the game, but I was dumbly afraid of Conquest’s difficulty.

The story in Birthright may be better, but it does not make it good overall, just less dumb. Nothing can save it. It was certainly not enough reason for me to try Birthday again. I am happy with Conquest and have spent hundreds of hours across numerous campaigns. It does not get old.

Hopefully you will have the chance to try Conquest and make your own opinion. I strongly believe that you will enjoy its gameplay and difficulty way more.

Have fun!

Edited by starburst