Who’s your favorite “Bad Unit” in FE?

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Arden. An Armour Knight has no place in FE4 (at least, as part of your ranks), but he's so bad and...useless that he's actually kind of endearing in that aspect.

I really like Eliwood because I used him in my first Hector hard mode playthrough. At the start he was really bad, but after promoting he became really good (mostly because the only other good frontline units that I had then where Marcus & Raven and Harken the next chapter). Oh, and I like his personality I guess.

There are some other bad units that I like but more because of their personality or design and I wanted to focus on a unit that I know is bad as a unit but I still enjoy using. 

1 hour ago, Michelaar said:

Sanaki is my favourite FE character but like a lot of mages in RD she's not very good.

I always pump every stat-booster into her (That Came Out Wrong), because I really like using her, as well.

I have several "Bad Units" I like using, but if I had to pick a favourite, it would probably be Mia from Path of Radiance. I don't care what Mangs, Mekkkah or anyone else says, she always, always gets a spot on my team. And it always turns out to be a-okay, so... yeah.

Nasir PoR and RD. He was all types of wrong not even stat boosters could help him.

Nyx - should have been put in a different game because conquest is really hard for her to survive.

Odin - he really did not need the dark mage line he could have stayed a myrmidon or could have become a fighter with all that skill he has.

It has to be Sophia from Binding Blade. Girl joins so late and in the worst chapter ever. But I really like her design, so I can't help but use her.

It's not too bad in Normal Mode since the enemies are quite lax. But I have painful memories of trying to level her in Hard Mode, by making her snipe enemies from behind the walls in Chapter 16 ^^;;;

FE4: Dew. He's weak at combat (only does like one or two damage per hit) for most of his unpromoted life, easy to get killed (dodgy abilities only show off for chapter 1, then come the horses). And his money stealing ability isn't so grand as you may think it is.

But I just really like him despite all that. I like using him and he turns out really good combat wise once his promotion kicks in.

FE6: Gwendolyn. Often considered the worst unit in all of FE, she's got low bases, can get one shot by an archer, and her defense growth is average for an armor knight. 

Still, I always use her whenever I replay FE6. Her growths are good enough that she can turn out great (and she's been blessed occasionally for me so there's that, lol), so she's always been one of my main units.

FE8: Ewan. He's a trainee and all and if you don't use the skirmishes and tower he's a pain to train.

But I do like to use him as a Dark Mage -> Druid and I also like his supports and overall personality.

Fiona from RD. She's pretty much part of the top three worst in that game along with Meg and Lyre. I also like Lyre since she's rather cute. But Fiona had an interesting position as the new leader of Marado. I wish she'd been expanded upon, honestly. How does she develop into the leader Marado needs? Also, her design is pretty. Her armor is one of my favorite colors and her hair color is really pretty too. She's also a not so common dark skinned character in the series.

I'd love to use her more despite how bad she is, but she's unfortunately so bad that for someone like me who's not real good at FE, she's borderline unusable...

Edited by Anacybele

I find quite the guilty pleasure in using Tomas in FE12. The guy's probably the most forgettable character in the game, having only just in FE11 earned the honour of having his own face rather than being a clone of Gordin or a Sedgar lookalike, and yet, I've used him twice or thrice over the course of all my runs of the game. That's more times than I've used Sirius, Palla, Malicia, and especially Catria, whom I have never even used (please accept my apologies).

His bases are atrocious, but with a B rank in bows and amazing growth rates, if you have thousands upon thousands of gold to spare, he can use the base arena to get up to speed and become a hilarious Sniper. Add to that the fact that if you use him for a few chapters he grows confident enough to try and shoot the avatar's big foreheard three times in a row, and you've got an absolute joy of a unit to use. Also, his hair's dumb and I love him for that.

Matthis, too. He's terrible. Certainly better than he is in FE11, but he's still the worst cavalier in the game by a mile, and even if he's better than he used to be, he still feels like a Shadow Dragon character that was thrown among the powerhouse central that is FE12. But I actually like him as a character (I know, that's a rare sentence to read), so I once decided to give him the growth drop and see what happens. Well, this is what happened:

D4E6uSA.png

Not gonna lie, I've had a lot of respect for the guy ever since.

I enjoy using bad units in general (using the same team of top tier units every single time is boring as heck), but these two are the first to come to mind. Tomas especially, Matthis is a bit more fickle, but with his growths, Tomas is pretty much guaranteed to become hilarious if you actually bother with him, more so than other FE12 prepromotes.

1 hour ago, Anacybele said:

Fiona from RD. She's pretty much part of the top three worst in that game along with Meg and Lyre. I also like Lyre since she's rather cute. But Fiona had an interesting position as the new leader of Marado. I wish she'd been expanded upon, honestly. How does she develop into the leader Marado needs? Also, her design is pretty. Her armor is one of my favorite colors and her hair color is really pretty too. She's also a not so common dark skinned character in the series.

I'd love to use her more despite how bad she is, but she's unfortunately so bad that for someone like me who's not real good at FE, she's borderline unusable...

I totally forgot about Fiona! I usually feed her tons of bonus exp and she usually turns out pretty good.

Hinata is pretty bad as a unit all things considered, but I've never really cared. I just really prefer using Samurai that don't die in two hits, and his personality is inoffensive.

Luthier is also pretty underwhelming considering Shadows of Valentia is full of crazy powerful mages whom he can't really keep up with, but I enjoy using him cause he's got a cool design.

Probably Aran in Radiant Dawn. He's actually a good unit in normal mode, and the best Soldier in the game(Nephenee sucks in RD. Fite me irl). But hardmode basically hard counters him. 

His borderline acceptable speed becomes a much greater issue, and his tanking abilities, the primary reason most people would probably use him, are severely compromised until he gets points in speed. The lack of HM bonuses on recruitable characters hurts him(Though I think he's the only recruitable enemy unit in the game, so that might have something to do with it). 

I still use him tho. 

Edited by Slumber

FE1: Darros. i love pirates.

FE2: Ezekiel. compared to Mathilda hes bad. 

FE6: Zeiss probably. He comes really late so its hard to use him but when you get him leveled his not bad at all.

FE7: Eilwood. hes like the worst lord ever lol.

FE8: Vanessa. I dont like Pegasus knights.

FE9: Makalov. Hes a drunk.

FE10: Lyre. because its actually a challenge, potentially worst unit ever created in the series.

FE11: still Darros.

FE13: Virion. Hate this guy. 

FE14: Basically everybody in the game but i guess Mozu. starts off bad but gets good.

Leonardo. RD was my first game so I didn't know about how he was a Klein clone or how bad he actually was, but I loved his design nonetheless, and he became a pretty useful unit in the lategame on my first playthrough.

Since I have only completed Conquest:

· Sorcerer Odin
Divisive for many. Either people see that he solos entire maps or just say that he is trash.
His balanced growths make him prone to RNG-mess, which I believe is what most people struggle with. Since I like Odin as a character, I have invested more in him as a unit across multiple campaigns.

· Sniper Mozu
Aptitude ensures that she delivers consistently across multiple plays, but the issue with her is usually about the 'investment' and not about the unit itself. In my experience, Sniper Mozu is infinitely better than re-classed Jakob.

Panne. In the Taguel class. Because 6 mov, not having to care about the weapon triangle, and having a weapon with a fair amount of might is a lot more useful than you think it would. Not being as reliant on the class stat boosts as manaketes are also makes it less painful to reclass her.

That, and it's a shapeshifiting bunny warrior, in the hands of a (comically) serious character. It's so enjoyably ridiculous I can't help but love it.