Who’s your favorite “Bad Unit” in FE?

Nyx. A surprisingly deep and interesting character among a cast of mostly forgetable ones To bad she suffers extremely hard from extremely low skill and defensive stats, making her an absolute pain to even use. And in revelations she joins so damn late with abysmal base stats that she is suicidal to use at that point without grinding.

Brom: Very likable character, but sadly he is heavily outclassed in path of radiance by Gatrie, and falls into average territory in RD. He is still extremely useful in RD act 2. So I wouldn't really say he is a bad unit, but average.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, halvey said:

I’m gonna go with Jaffar. I like his character development in the story. Although I think he can be both good and bad. Good in a casual play through but bad for a ranked run. 

Jaffar may be bad for a ranked run, but he's really useful for efficiency since at base you can send him to orko valkyries on COD, and no other unit can do that at base reliably apart from Harken with a Brave Sword and Marcus with a Brave Axe.

There are probably a lot of others, but the first ones that pop to mind for me are PoR Rolf and Shinon. Just something satisfying about seeing them snipe stuff, and getting to see Shinon's massive growths run wild is quite fun too.

I see people give Lowen flack, but it might be them undervaluing him. You never know

Marty from FE5. I enjoy giving him the Od scroll and watch him try to hit stuff.

Gatrie early game felt memorable with the choke point on the map he joins in

Is Silas bad? I feel like he's decent with the Nohrian Blade in Conquest

4 hours ago, silveraura25 said:

I see people give Lowen flack, but it might be them undervaluing him. You never know

Wait people are saying Lowens bad? Being a cavalier in gba fire emblem automatically makes you high tier unless your Amelia.

16 minutes ago, Geenoble said:

Wait people are saying Lowens bad? Being a cavalier in gba fire emblem automatically makes you high tier unless your Amelia.

I think he's good, but I occasionally see people say he's bad because of his meh offensive growth rates. He'll very likely be your first Knight Crest promotion due to being the first of cavalier trio to join as well as 1-2 range being a huge deal in FE7. Add to the fact he'll on average be on par with Kent/Sain and at a higher level the time those two join

EDIT: I'm speaking in the context of HHM

Edited by silveraura25

Azel/Azelle in FE4. He doesn't get much screentime, and isn't reliable until late in gen 1. But I can really relate to his personal struggles, so he's my favorite gen 1 character.

Edited by LordlingCale

On 1/11/2018 at 12:30 PM, silveraura25 said:

Is Silas bad? I feel like he's decent with the Nohrian Blade in Conquest

In my experience, Silas does not even need the extra defence from the Nohrian Blade. His main 'issue' is his even growths, which, depending on the RNG, can turn him great or just average (specially if his Speed or Strength get screwed.)
Contrary to what happens to Odin (another unit with even growths), Silas has better bases, 'rounder' classes and skills, and a level equal to the rest of the party. Oh!, and Vow of Friendship is a plus.

I find Silas very useful early to mid-game, but sometimes I know that I continue using him after various 'bad' level-ups mostly because I like him as a character and not because of what he brings to the party as a unit.
I would never say that Silas is a bad unit, but I can understand why he might not turn great for several people.

On 10/11/2018 at 1:53 AM, Refa said:

Arden. An Armour Knight has no place in FE4 (at least, as part of your ranks), but he's so bad and...useless that he's actually kind of endearing in that aspect.

Seconding this. He may be worthless as a unit, but he tries so hard, and from what little we see of his characterisation I can't help but love the sod. If you pair him up (which honestly you'd only do for this reason, from a eugenics standpoint he's basically a poor man's Lex), you can see he's devoted to his new family, and his lovers convo with Erin in particular is adorable (and to those who know what comes next, tragic). And if you let him die (you bastard), his death quote has him calmly saying he is proud to have served Sigurd all his life, and that he has no regrets.

This pretty much sums it up. He may be a rubbish unit, but he's got a heart as big as his armour and I just find him endearing.

While his younger brother, Seth, and arguably Kyle outclass him, Forde is my favorite Sacred Stones character and one of my favorite FE characters overall. I just really like his character, namely his chill personality and his pretty good backstory regarding how he became so passionate with painting.

Despite how hated he is as a unit for his poor performance by missing a lot, Python happens to be my third favorite Fire Emblem character overall. This guy is honestly the funniest character in the series for me with his sarcasm and some of his quotes (like the "WOW! This is really terrible!"), and he also a personality that I can relate to: being chill enough that you want to focus on the present rather than the future.

Funny enough, despite the lackluster reputation these two characters have in the FE community as units, both of them proved to be surprisingly good in my playthroughs. Forde still held on his own most of the time when I used him, and my Python was blessed enough that he didn't most of the time (he even became a pretty competent unit when he promoted to Bow Knight later in my playthrough of SoV).

17 hours ago, Erureido said:

While his younger brother, Seth

Franz*

17 hours ago, Erureido said:

Funny enough, despite the lackluster reputation these two characters have in the FE community as units, both of them proved to be surprisingly good in my playthroughs. Forde still held on his own most of the time when I used him, and my Python was blessed enough that he didn't most of the time (he even became a pretty competent unit when he promoted to Bow Knight later in my playthrough of SoV).

Never played FE2 or FE15 so i can't comment on Python but i never understood why people hate Forde as a unit so much. He's a cavalier, 7 movement, canto, wtc, even if his stats are shaky he still has all these ups about him.

Forde is considered  mediocre because his base stats are not that good for the time he is recruited, and even with his growths is unlikely to ever become great. For example, his base stats are not that much better than Franz's despite being many levels higher, and Franz joins in chapter 1, giving him a huge level lead by chapter 8. Kyle is not much better, but at least he has enough strenght to 1RKO many enemies once he starts doubling. Forde has to get blessed to consistently 1RKO, so even if he is trained, you don't get that much out of him. 

For me it had to be the Dawn Brigade in Hard mode. Mostly Edward, Leonardo, and Aran. There just sort of my guilty pleasure units to use in RD. They turn out Great or pretty good. And it just feels rewarding seeing these scrubs kicking ass and seeing my hard work and dedication pay off.

18 hours ago, Geenoble said:

Franz*

Seth is the next list element, not a specification on the previous element.

I actually didn't realize people considered Python bad. He does have some hit issues, but they seemed to go away fairly quickly for me once he started getting a few levels and especially when he promoted. I would've honestly put him on par with Leon. I do really like his and Forsythe's relationship.

Another one for me is Nino. Part of it is nostalgia and part of it is that she's so sweet, but even still when I play FE7, I try to use her.

11 hours ago, bottlegnomes said:

Seth is the next list element, not a specification on the previous element..

My bad.

I personally don't think his bad, but alot of people seem too, but i really like using Path of radience Tormod, he's unique with his 8 promoted movement, which is the same as mists promoted movement, meaning his also able to function as a 2nd high move healer, and his offense, while not as good as soren or illyana, is still pretty good, and he's my favourite mage to use in the game.

Edited by Geenoble

On 11/7/2018 at 11:53 AM, starburst said:

In my experience, Silas does not even need the extra defence from the Nohrian Blade. His main 'issue' is his even growths, which, depending on the RNG, can turn him great or just average (specially if his Speed or Strength get screwed.)
Contrary to what happens to Odin (another unit with even growths), Silas has better bases, 'rounder' classes and skills, and a level equal to the rest of the party. Oh!, and Vow of Friendship is a plus.

I find Silas very useful early to mid-game, but sometimes I know that I continue using him after various 'bad' level-ups mostly because I like him as a character and not because of what he brings to the party as a unit.
I would never say that Silas is a bad unit, but I can understand why he might not turn great for several people.

I fail to see how Vow of Friendship is a plus when leaving Corrin half dead and unhealed is... not very smart, to say the least.

My favorite bad units to use are probably Tanya, Neimi, and Colm. Tanya and Neimi bc they're around for a long time and most enemies during the early game of the titles they appear in don't wield ranged weapons and it feels great to just poke them down. Colm bc I love the thief crit animation, and he gets to crit a lot when Neimi is around. I once did a fun playthrough of SS in which i fed pretty much every single kill I could to Neimi so by chapter 7 she was promoted and everyone else sucked lol. I see some ppl saying Python is bad but I don't really see how? It's really hard to be bad in SoV in my pov because you can't steal someone else's spot on the team anyway so everyone can contribute at least a little.

On 11/12/2018 at 10:40 PM, Erureido said:

some of his quotes (like the "WOW! This is really terrible!")

Lemme guess - that quote is used for a bad level up.